Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

People are not so insecure about their sexuality around here.

I mean this seriously, many American males really have a problem for constantly having to prove they are not homosexuals, it's pathological.

I know. I lived in Europe for several years. While there is bigotry towards homosexuals it manifested differently. Then again most of my time was in England so I could be overgeneralizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I reached out to a friend to ask how she was doing in the current pandemic and her reply was to send me this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Lf9b99JAI

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
A homeless guy cornered my wife in front of a cafe when we went out to get her a to go sandwich she liked as comfort food.
She just got her bachelors as part of SDSU's class of 2020...
She's been kinda depressed lately.

I got between them and he spit in my face.

Don't go outside.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Today I learned that 3 on a beard trimmer is not the same as a number 3 buzz cut! Oops

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Today I learned that 3 on a beard trimmer is not the same as a number 3 buzz cut! Oops

The 3 is for mm on beard trimmer

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Lol...been there done that. Then, if you took a decent swipe before realizing that, you have to get creative to fix it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

millimetres vs. eighths of an inch

They differ by a factor of threeish.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

dwarf74 posted:

There's a local (Central IL) doctor who's been doing antibody tests, and he said that only, like, 3% of them have come back positive.

This seems about right. Most of my family still lives in Macon County and, to date, there's been 17 confirmed C-19 deaths, which is part of why most of them think it's fake. A friend of mine owns a barbershop in Champaign and he's been hurting from the lock-down, but has also been public about not opening up again until it's reasonably safe. A lot of his customers are chuds and watching them trying to reconcile "guy i like saying thing i don't like" is pretty good stuff.

Edit: I hope relatively low population density and isolation will keep rural areas safe, but who knows. Even in Chicago, where I live, too many people in my neighborhood seem to think pandemic's over.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Solvent posted:

A homeless guy cornered my wife in front of a cafe when we went out to get her a to go sandwich she liked as comfort food.

Don't go outside.

That is mega nasty but hello fellow College Slice :hfive:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Don't go outside.

What a disgusting piece of poo poo, that is considered terrorism now right? Did you call the cops?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Solvent posted:

Don't go outside.

A guy walked up to me and coughed in my face on the train on Sunday after I left my seat to distance myself from him.

Don’t go outside.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lazyhound posted:

A guy walked up to me and coughed in my face on the train on Sunday after I left my seat to distance myself from him.

Don’t go outside.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Hopper posted:

What a disgusting piece of poo poo, that is considered terrorism now right? Did you call the cops?

Fast track court and a couple of months in prison. That is unusually assertive for the Dutch justice system, but they seem to want to get the message out on the streets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazyhound posted:

Don’t go outside.

How did you resist putting a knee in his kidney?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lolie posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

1. They know that they are being irresponsible, deep down they know it.
2. Seeing people being responsible and safe makes them feel guilty.
3. They want the guilty feeling to go away fast.
4. Acting out in anger is a sure-fire way to make the guilty feeling go away.

It's basically road pandemic rage.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lazyhound posted:

Don’t go outside.

Add a face shield to your apocalypse gear

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Iron Crowned posted:

Or at least glasses or sunglasses.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
NVM

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Spitting on someone even outside of a pandemic is usually treated as simple assault.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Trump says US topping world virus cases is 'badge of honour'

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Even if you're somewhere it's not required you should definitely be wearing a mask in public. Hazmat suit next month after all the reopening covid spreads around a lot.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
In high school history class we watched a documentary about the Spanish flu and we were all like lol how silly and stupid people were 80 years ago.

I think about that documentary and our reaction a lot nowadays.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

It’s an airborn micron-sized virus so neither social distancing or facemasks do anything to prevent contraction or transmission.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Hopper posted:

Yeah, I filled a police report.
That's simple assault in San Diego.
Been on the phone waiting to schedule a test for the last hour, the website is down.

I was told to call thew COVID 19 hotline, I've been on the phone with tons of really concerned sounding people.

People around us are laughing at the measures we're being told to take to protect them.
FML

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It’s an airborn micron-sized virus so neither social distancing or facemasks do anything to prevent contraction or transmission.

Nice try coronavirus.

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer

:)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
while the virus itself is that small in air it forms larger droplets

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
It's just quite far away

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The gently caress. He didn't say or mean that. Why the gently caress is BBC feeling the need to make poo poo up. He said a buncha horrible crap in that same conference even, attack one of those statements?

This crap let's him and fox yell "lying media" and brush things like a failing to invade Venezuela horribly and having us spec forces captured by unarmed village fishermen.

It just irks the poo poo outta me cause it helps trump cover his rear end.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

i am harry posted:

It's the bad guy from Lazy Town.

some deep-cut irony

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

You’re a stupid piece of poo poo, and your rap sheet agrees with me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xenocides posted:

I would say AIDS was too much of a slow burn in general and it looks like it was custom-designed specifically for victim blaming. I barely remember the hysteria around AIDS when I was a kid in the 80s and it was mostly assuring people they could not catch it from a toilet seat or proximity.

yeah, i think you are missing a lot of what happened because you were a kid, the hysteria around AIDS (which was first called "GRIDS" or "Gay Related Immune Deficiency" by the media) led to a huge amount of homophobic violence and discrimination (on top of how much was already in the culture). it was a struggle at first to even get people to recognize that straight people could catch it. the toilet seat panic came years into it.

later it had a huge impact on how sex education was taught in schools and also on how adults date, especially for gay men but also just in general it kind of normalized condom use even among straights. it also had an impact on all kinds of basic medical interactions, at least in my mind it was less common for first responders to wear disponsable gloves etc before that crisis.

also in many countries it continues to kill huge numbers of people. the crisis has slowed because HIV positive who have access to drugs can live a lot longer and without developing AIDS, but there are many people who can't afford or don't have access to drugs, and in many countries there are currently tens of thousands of deaths per year from AIDS. in the case of South Africa and Nigeria, over 100k deaths per year.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 20, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Earwicker posted:

yeah, i think you are missing a lot of what happened because you were a kid, the hysteria around AIDS (which was first called "GRIDS" or "Gay Related Immune Deficiency" by the media) led to a huge amount of homophobic violence and discrimination (on top of how much was already in the culture). it was a struggle at first to even get people to recognize that straight people could catch it. the toilet seat panic came years into it.

later it had a huge impact on how sex education was taught in schools and also on how adults date, especially for gay men but also just in general it kind of normalized condom use even among straights. it also had an impact on all kinds of basic medical interactions, at least in my mind it was less common for first responders to wear disponsable gloves etc before that crisis

HIV normalized condoms for that generation, 100%

I remember the GAY PANIC, then loving Mercury died of it, then Magic Johnson got it and everyone just went “???”

Oh and the kid from that MTV Reality Show who was gay and died of it

Man the 90’s sucked

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
How can you mention Pedro and Puck and then say the 90s sucked? You contradict yourself

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bonaventure posted:

How can you mention Pedro and Puck and then say the 90s sucked? You contradict yourself

Yeah I’ll admit 90’s MTV with the animated shows and random tv was still pretty good

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

GRIDS is a way cooler name then AIDS, it's unfortunate that it's loaded with homophobia.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nancy is doubling down on the president being fat and dumb.

quote:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Tuesday defended her comment claiming that President Trump could be at greater risk of complications from taking an unproven coronavirus treatment because he is "morbidly obese," adding that she didn't anticipate he would be "so sensitive" about his appearance.

"I didn't know that he would be so sensitive. He's always talking about other people's ... weight, their pounds," Pelosi said during an interview Tuesday with MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace.

"I think he should recognize that his words weigh a ton. Instead of telling people to put Lysol into their lungs or taking a medication that has not been approved except under certain circumstances, he should be saying what your previous guest mentioned, things that would help people," she said, referring to Trump's musings about disinfectants last month.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What is going to be the abbreviation for Multisystem inflammatory syndrome? MIS?minsynd? The M.I syndrome?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The gently caress. He didn't say or mean that. Why the gently caress is BBC feeling the need to make poo poo up. He said a buncha horrible crap in that same conference even, attack one of those statements?

This crap let's him and fox yell "lying media" and brush things like a failing to invade Venezuela horribly and having us spec forces captured by unarmed village fishermen.

It just irks the poo poo outta me cause it helps trump cover his rear end.

Except he said "So I view it as a badge of honour. Really, it's a badge of honour." because the numbers are so high because the testing is so good.

Except the testing is poo poo, the tests themselves have been poo poo, and it's manifestly bullshit all around, and everyone outside of the US knows it.

Anyone reading the BBC and the rest of the world in general doesn't give a gently caress about your criminally stupid fox viewers and is more than capable of seeing that headline for exactly what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Can we make some kind of national Darwin Award trophy to give him? Maybe make it look like an Emmy and make it real shiny so he cannot resist accepting.