Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My redeployment is coming to an end in the next few days, so I'm going to have to take the plunge and spend actual mental energy on trying to do my job a different way (i.e. from home).
This will be particularly difficult given that my redeployment has been such a doss.

Oh ffs
[edit]
It were all better back in 1996, when England would definitely win a football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It came home third

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bloodly posted:

He's presuming that only loony conspiracy theorists use that term. I'm willing to say that it does happen a lot, but there are others, like Rastafarians and the like.

There's Bundists like myself and then there's like, ultra hasids in New York who absolutely spit the word.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Coohoolin posted:

There's Bundists like myself and then there's like, ultra hasids in New York who absolutely spit the word.

Plus, and I've said this before, the word is such a broad loving category that it doesn't mean anything anymore. Under some definitions I'm a zionist and I'm pretty sure I hate the current Israeli regime and how the state was founded more than Coohoolin does.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I like living in East London. Not so much nightlife because :corsair: but all the food options both restaurant and supermarket, and the diversity in general. Though it would be nice if there were a non-halal butchers in walking distance :mrapig:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I swear this country gets chuddier by the day

UK bulk buys hydroxychloroquine as potential Covid-19 treatment

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.britishpodcastawards.com/vote

What's this worth? How much is in the solidarity fund again?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I like living in East London. Not so much nightlife because :corsair: but all the food options both restaurant and supermarket, and the diversity in general. Though it would be nice if there were a non-halal butchers in walking distance :mrapig:

You're near Barking, aren't you? Not quite walking distance, but there's a really good butcher in the old Stratford shopping centre and Hawkins in Romford used to be pretty good (not been there in years so I'm not sure if it still is).

Mind you if you're going to travel, might as well stay on the H&C an extra 15 minutes to go to the sublime Smithfield Butchers (near Farringdon station)

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Private Speech posted:

His PA made some mildly rebuking comment to him over the handshake to be fair.

And they pay decently well. Just kinda annoying that a software company can't make a WFH setup (the reason they gave was IP security).

If facebook, google, apple, IBM, intel and the loving UKIPO can work from home I would say others can, might be an indication of some other out of touch ideas

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Hey everyone, want to be really angry?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...OCM9RRYqJ52UlJs

Prince Charles ordering us peons to pick potatos.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Camrath posted:

Hey everyone, want to be really angry?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...OCM9RRYqJ52UlJs

Prince Charles ordering us peons to pick potatos.

Don't see why this is necessary, capitalist theory clearly tells us that it'll be trivial to fill needed positions because the pay offered to workers will simply rise until it's sufficient to attract enough of them :thunkmarx:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CancerCakes posted:

If facebook, google, apple, IBM, intel and the loving UKIPO can work from home I would say others can, might be an indication of some other out of touch ideas

I mean they're only just moving from Motif to GTK, soo.

Then again it seems pretty typical for SCADA, lots of love for some very 90s GUIs.

Despite all that the work seems really interesting, people who work there really knowledgeable, money is decent, architecture of the system is sensible and just generally from what I've seen of the code and development process they appear quite good. Albeit old-fashioned, but I'll take that over strict SCRUMBAN (what another open position for a company making 5G telco software mandates) every day.

It's not my first choice (that would be a US biomed giant that still has to get back to me for a final interview) but it's probably the second at this point.

Sorry for being a bit :words:.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Voted.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Been listening through the Podcasting is Praxis back-catalogue, I like it, but loving bizarre how many layers of disingenuous shite they gurgled to avoid saying 'electoralism is a thing that exists' in the latest episode.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Going through some old family albums and things in my mum's cellar and found a commemorative book for the royal fartcatchers from space year 1985.

Nothing unexpected outside of the usual fawning statements, but amusingly their section on Andrew is them half-heartedly trying to polish a turd.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A page behind but my work from home has been reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. :toot:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hypothetically if you were doing WFH for a British company and you decided you'd rather live in [non-eu country, lets say Canada for example] while you performed this work, would you require a work visa or could you move from place to place on tourism visas? Is it country dependent? I suppose income taxes might also be a consideration?

I guess this isn't a new question if 'digital nomads' already do it?

Working from 'home' forever certainly raises a lot of possibilities.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

blunt posted:

Hypothetically if you were doing WFH for a British company and you decided you'd rather live in [non-eu country, lets say Canada for example] while you performed this work, would you require a work visa or could you move from place to place on tourism visas? Is it country dependent? I suppose income taxes might also be a consideration?

Just going by the text of some tourist visas I’ve looked at, legally speaking, you aren’t allowed to do any activity for which you are paid (in their currency or otherwise). So if you declared doing so at the border, you might have issues. In practice, there is no penalisation for visiting a country and happening to do some work stuff there (taking a business phone call, sending some emails etc). It’s mostly unenforceable unless you declare it, and the law hasn’t caught up to ‘digital nomads’ yet.

When it does, I imagine it will hinge on a technicality around whether or not you are ‘visiting’ or ‘living’ there. IE, is the work simply an incidental thing that happens infrequently, or are you effectively full-time. (Which will preclude digital nomads)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Been listening through the Podcasting is Praxis back-catalogue, I like it, but loving bizarre how many layers of disingenuous shite they gurgled to avoid saying 'electoralism is a thing that exists' in the latest episode.

Is it still Electoralism when you are transitioning into as opposed to out of an authoritarian state?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rip :umberto:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

blunt posted:

It depends on the country/ies but that's typically not legal, however, you'd have to be doing something pretty weird to get got for it afaict.

And if it does concern you then use a vpn.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Generally hovers around 3k with a few hundred in and out each month.

(I voted!)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

It depends on the country/ies but that's typically not legal, however, you'd have to be doing something pretty weird to get got for it afaict.

And if it does concern you then use a vpn.

Many companies like mine require you to use a VPN to log in anyway. I could be anywhere right now and noone would know as long as I sporadically replied to mails

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This will work fine until all the digital nomads end up working through tech disruptor middlemen based in tax havens, and then the minute they get sick get treated like Taitusi Ratucaucau.

Which obviously may affect some groups sooner than others.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why do people insist that because (apparently) Corbyn is 'worth millions' (where do they get this poo poo from) and Starmer possibly has a cleaner (does he? I've no idea) Labour doesn't speak for the working classes, therefore you must vote tory because DePfeffel and co do?

Grrr.. my blood pressure is rocketing. Comments made by a 'friend' I have unfollowed on FB but I can see her comments on other peoples' posts.

(First time I've felt protective of Starmer LOL)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why do people insist that because (apparently) Corbyn is 'worth millions' (where do they get this poo poo from) and Starmer possibly has a cleaner (does he? I've no idea) Labour doesn't speak for the working classes, therefore you must vote tory because DePfeffel and co do?

Grrr.. my blood pressure is rocketing. Comments made by a 'friend' I have unfollowed on FB but I can see her comments on other peoples' posts.

I suspect Corbyn has a house in Islington which is worth >1m by dint of him having owned it for years. That would be enough to make it “true”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because that's the standard that the press holds them to, despite being owned by multimillionaire tax evaders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the idea that the labour party (and politics in general) is grossly overrepresented in the posh twats department is a valid criticism, the difference is corbyn clearly has not let that limit the boundaries of his thoughts and actions while starmer, like most of his peers, certainly doesn't seem particularly interested in rising above the limitations of his circumstances.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's because they are the media and don't want the people to have power, or because they read the media that tells them not to want the people to have power.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the idea that the labour party (and politics in general) is grossly overrepresented in the posh twats department is a valid criticism, the difference is corbyn clearly has not let that limit the boundaries of his thoughts and actions while starmer, like most of his peers, certainly doesn't seem particularly interested in rising above the limitations of his circumstances.
It is, but when the Brothers Barclay and Rothermere Continuation Limited are criticizing them for it then the direction and sincerity of the criticism is questionable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, people can make the criticism in bad faith, but it's still a valid criticism which is why it is so effective, and I think the better solution is to make the honest, better, left argument rather than try to pretend it's not good criticism.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The Labour party is a lot less overrepresented in the posh twats department if you look at the whole party - both the whole PLP and the whole membership - rather than just the bits of each that make the papers.

It's easy to forget that Labour has the vast majority of the working-class MPs in Parliament, when the only ones you see are the PPE-SPAD-MP track people the press like.

That's not to say that more working class and minority representation isn't needed - of course it is - but it's very easy to overlook the fact that it's already there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

I suspect Corbyn has a house in Islington which is worth >1m by dint of him having owned it for years. That would be enough to make it “true”.

This yes, but also 'the pension pot' stuff as in you would need a pension pot of £xm to get the salary based pension scheme MPs get. (Also seen public sector workers on salary based schemes get tarred with the 'pension pot' brush).

OwlFancier posted:

Sure, people can make the criticism in bad faith, but it's still a valid criticism which is why it is so effective, and I think the better solution is to make the honest, better, left argument rather than try to pretend it's not good criticism.

Sure it's valid criticism, but how to make the leap from "these leftish people have this, therefore do not speak for me, therefore I must vote tory because these rightwing people who have considerably more than these lefty people will speak up for me better."

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 20, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sure it's valid criticism, but how to make the leap from "these leftish people have this, therefore do not speak for me, therefore I must vote tory because these rightwing people who have considerably more than these lefty people will speak up for me better."

It's a lot less involved than that though, I think. People who are voting against their interests aren't thinking rationally about the implications of the information they're given, or thinking about the implications of the information they're NOT given (i.e. it's not like the articles about Corbyn being a millionaire mention that Boris is a hundred-millionare, in the same way as the articles about millionaire actors or sports people don't mention the near-trillionaire status of Bezos, or just how wide that gap is), they're just absorbing the information they're given and returning it when asked.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

For all your hard voting work for the UK poddies, you get a shiny new episode!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1263020450466193408?s=20

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why does being rich mean you can't want poor people to have better lives?

Like, in the millionaire business owner sense it's because that directly undercuts your profits, but why does someone owning a house in London mean they can't want everyone to be able to own a house in London if they need to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

The Labour party is a lot less overrepresented in the posh twats department if you look at the whole party - both the whole PLP and the whole membership - rather than just the bits of each that make the papers.

It's easy to forget that Labour has the vast majority of the working-class MPs in Parliament, when the only ones you see are the PPE-SPAD-MP track people the press like.

That's not to say that more working class and minority representation isn't needed - of course it is - but it's very easy to overlook the fact that it's already there.

It does, but less at the top levels, it tends to be more career politicians (which I would not honestly describe as working class, given the kind of people and power they have access to, it doesn't make sense from either a relationship to the means of production sense or from a general "what kind of life do they live" sense)

The political system we have inherently works to separate its participants from the working class, and that's visible in a lot of ways and I think is part of why a lot of people rightly don't like it, or the people involved in it.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Because being rich means that your fortunes are not tied up in the material conditions of poor people, you have your position because you can exploit the poor to maintain it. That is literally the basis of marxist class relations and it also works for politicians too. They make their living being buoyed into their offices by the working class, and their continued employment and prosperity is predicated on their ability to keep people voting for them, not actually to do any good while they're up there.

Which is why the labour party is full of lovely careerists who coast by on performative horseshit and partisan inertia.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 20, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Like, in the millionaire business owner sense it's because that directly undercuts your profits, but why does someone owning a house in London mean they can't want everyone to be able to own a house in London if they need to.

I think some use it just a lovely way of arguing/point scoring. Others genuinely lack empathy (the whole virtue signaling thing). Just yesterday owen jones was having to defend the corbyn section of labour from having too many public school people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

In the latter case, there is a pretty strong argument that says if everyone owns a house in London, then when you need to trade up to a bigger one because you had kids or whatever (or you want to move out to the country), you now can't do so as easily, because there's no particular market for people taking your current one.

Having a market to sell into requires housing to be a scarce resource.

Which is why housing shouldn't be a market commodity, but you know, trying to persuade anyone who's not already eyeballs-deep in breadtube of that sort of reality is a hiding to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
People don't like perceived hypocrites and moral snobs

Core of Labour politics is appealing to charity and moral obligations to share - that basis of the liberal, redistributive welfare state - not outrage over violations of natural justice (something something alienation of the worker from their output, old Clause IV, whatever)

The closest sense of sniffy headline is identical to when the press editorialises on how much NGO charity directors are paid