Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fake Chinese products are still so bad that there are both legal and private job site restrictions on the use of things like Chinese-made slings for cranes, because they have such a nasty habit of snapping under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

poo poo, for a while there, you could see the fake CE mark on CFL/LED bulbs at Lowes/Home Depot, and shocking nobody, they lasted about 3-10% of the 10k hours claimed on the cover.

. . . Huh. That might explain some oddly short lived bulbs we had.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cyrano4747 posted:

Grey market items were really bad for a while there, where the 3rd factory shift would use 60C rated power system parts in the bulb drivers instead of the 105C or 130C rated parts that the spec actually calls for. Both of them will work exactly the same, for about a month. Which is about when the 60C parts have degraded enough to start failing en masse. Which is more than long enough for the reseller to quietly go out of business and leg it with the profits.

I think the EEblog dude did a teardown explaining how you can get a $4 BOM down to <$1 by doing that, and what happens when you do.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sagebrush posted:

this is just fake and racist right

It's someone trying to claim that lazy counterfeiting is actually a systematic attempt on the part of a country to deceive other people, so yes. You should be suspicious for the same reason you'd be suspicious of a U1 logo where a UL logo should be, not because it's some "china export" nonsense.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had a box of Ecosmart LEDs that lasted a few hundred hours before dying, at which point I said gently caress it and went back to buying Feit.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 19, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

A White Guy posted:

This is amazing. Its probably putting a shitload of more stress than an engine is supposed to take when you're driving a boat, but gawddamn, this guy probably has enough money to finance the stupidity.
It's basically idling, so I'm guess it is less stress than WOT without a trailer.

Some electrical pieces may suffer, but it should work.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

gvibes posted:

Some electrical pieces may suffer, but it should work.

Since this is a trailer, and by physical nature those cannot be without a fault at any given time, it probably fixed one electrical issue and caused another.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The electrics of a boat trailer are like $2.50 of wire and lights who cares.

You don't do that because the moving parts are gonna seize/you should regrease everything that has now been subjected to water infiltration you don't really see when just giving it a dip.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What part of the trailer is submerged that wouldn't be submerged anyway when launching the boat?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

What part of the trailer is submerged that wouldn't be submerged anyway when launching the boat?
Winch, and trailer brake master cylinder if so equipped. Many boat trailers have zerk fittings on the axle hub dust covers for easy frequent regreasing. Some winches are likewise easily serviceable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's also a difference in force when backing it in at 5mph and cruising at 10+ and a difference in time between 5 minutes and hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kith posted:

like yes i know they're not related but holy gently caress my sieve brain can't help but conflate them and i'm dying

edit: double post tax
https://i.imgur.com/JOYUPMD.mp4

Mid-shot portrait to landscape switch. Incredibly powerful

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yep, director really cementing the theme of the piece.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Xaintrailles posted:

Yep, director really cementing the theme of the piece.

The shot just falls into place.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/rbvTL4W.gifv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Quibi was truly ahead of its time

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
there was some show I watched about wingsuit people who died, and the wife of one talking about how they were not just adrenaline junkies but basically drawn to death, they felt like they destined to die young and that mindset pushed them closer and closer to the limit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It would be so easy to become tangled in the ’chute.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

From spending a lot of time around yacht clubs in the 90s I was always told you don’t submerge the trailer. At most you back it in to cover the rubber at the bottom of the tyre. Never get the axle and wheel bearings covered in water.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This seems like an extraordinarily short drop even for everything going right.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Varkk posted:

From spending a lot of time around yacht clubs in the 90s I was always told you don’t submerge the trailer. At most you back it in to cover the rubber at the bottom of the tyre. Never get the axle and wheel bearings covered in water.

Maybe, but they do sell waterproof bearing grease specifically for boat trailer bearings. Although bearing assemblies are generally well sealed to begin with, otherwise all your grease would spew out of the wheel hub within the first few hundred miles of driving.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1ucHKaA.mp4

Proper PPE, nothing wrong here.

Does that stuff get hot? It looks like it gets hot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gAddTMF.gifv

Found another one. I agree with the other poster, how do the cords not get tangled up?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gAddTMF.gifv

Found another one. I agree with the other poster, how do the cords not get tangled up?

Jump out far enough and flip so that the shoulders are always facing the parachute without allowing too much slack. This is likely easier said than done.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gAIjRSz.gifv

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

Jump out far enough and flip so that the shoulders are always facing the parachute without allowing too much slack. This is likely easier said than done.

Practice makes perfect but how do people even practice these things? It's not like you can wear a backup chute if get tangled in the cables.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gAV4EcV.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drat that's rad af. My grandma had all hardwood and we would sock-slide all over the place, but this would have been hella fun.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That head snap though. Really needs a HANS device.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Holy poo poo I want this, right now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
there's a lot of lucky people in that picture

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That's a neat way to drain the pond, but how do you refill it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

That's a neat way to drain the pond, but how do you refill it?

https://i.imgur.com/8a0p1JT.mp4

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

:hmmyes:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Anybody with a forklift can drain a decorative pond. Only a real forklift operator can fill it back up again afterwards.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

the fart question posted:

Does that stuff get hot? It looks like it gets hot.

I'm not entirely sure how hot it gets, but that reaction is definitely exothermic and I'm pretty sure that's steam visible in the video.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Varkk posted:

It depends on your boat, trailer, and the angle of the ramp. At steep ramps I didn't have to submerge the wheels but at shallow ramps I did.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

this is just fake and racist right

There's a certain kind of naivete that doesn't realise/can't accept it's just a badly-faked CE mark, and fumbles for an explanation that involves people acting in good(-ish) faith.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Speaking of airframe parachutes. Anybody remember when the A380 was still in development and they would advertise some weird emergency parachute slide in the center of the aircraft and a chute for every passenger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Wasn’t there something about blue pallets and how there’s one company that owns them and they charge you an arm and a leg if they’re lost/damaged (or, perhaps, waterlogged)?