Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

is the wonderful 101 good?

Its a no middleground kind of game, either you're going to love it or your going to go "I guess I dont really need tons of QTEs, all of platinums bad quirks, and a combat system where I have to pause and draw the weapon I want to be using every time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The key secret thing is that actually drawing the weapon is a bad idea, you need to figure out the stick input

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The key secret thing is that actually drawing the weapon is a bad idea, you need to figure out the stick input

Its still not great even with the shortcut. It never really felt like it added much to the combat.

Games full of wonderful little details though, mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also like most Platinum games there's a completely absurd skill ceiling, and you need to buy the block and dodge moves that should really just be default. That said, you block by turning into a pudding and dodge by turning into a slinky.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those are the bad platinum quirks.

Right up there with "way too long parody of a classic autoscroller game"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I see no one remembers Sonic 4.

I do, and I played it, but it was missing so much about what made Sonic good. I won't act like it was stellar gameplay, and I'll accept that presentation is huge. Sonic 4 just didn't measure up to the originals in aesthetic or music, and for a game that was meant to be a "finally we're giving you the more of the same you asked for" they needed to hit hard capturing that stuff. Sonic 4 looked washed out relative to the vibrancy of Sonic 3 and Sonic Mania, and the music was relatively boring in my opinion. Those old Sonic games really leaned heavily on those aspects.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Skyrim would be okay as an archery game with melee as a backup weapon, and body hitzones instead of stealth bonuses so you have to, you know, actually use stealth to get close enough to get a good shot in

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Draugr should have been killable by dismemberment like the enemies in dead space, so you could use your arrows to shoot their sword arm off or cripple them or something, the heathen guys with the heart transplants shouldve been vulnerable only from an arrow in the heart with headshots mostly ineffective

Dragons shouldve been killed by hitting some very specific point between their scales with an arrow or something. Just full on archery with a sword just for self defense like in Thief

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You are describing Horizon Zero Dawn

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If Skyrim had combat like Horizon I could actually play that game. Actually it'd probably be my favourite game ever. I guess horizon could use better melee combat too though for sure. The way enemies behave in Bethesda games is just so weird, scattering around towards you and standing in weird places.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HZD's melee combat is basically a frantic shove that you should basically never use on higher difficulties whatsoever

Anyways I'd play through Ultima 8 and probably like it if it was remade today as a ~souls~ game. 3rd person action RPG, little to no dialogue or story, why not

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Anyways I'd play through Ultima 8 and probably like it if it was remade today as a ~souls~ game. 3rd person action RPG, little to no dialogue or story, why not

I played so much Ultima8 as a kid that I can still hear the running on grass and door opening sounds when it's quiet

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Icochet posted:

I played so much Ultima8 as a kid that I can still hear the running on grass and door opening sounds when it's quiet

Sometimes I quote the "you have been a thorn in my side for far too long" opening dialog with my friends and I wish more people knew about the times when that was what we had

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Those are the bad platinum quirks.

Right up there with "way too long parody of a classic autoscroller game"

The second half of the game loving loves their lovely gimmick stages. I swear that like one of the levels is just 2 really long gimmick sections and a boss.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Wonderful101 just seemed like a complete mess and i've platted Bayonetta 1 and 2. It was just annoying to play, it had style but it was a miss.

Was Ultima 8 the one with a hilarious amount of bad platforming?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The second half of the game loving loves their lovely gimmick stages. I swear that like one of the levels is just 2 really long gimmick sections and a boss.

Yeah. Its weird, Platinum games feels like they have to include lengthy not the core game gameplay segments, and on higher difficulties this means what should be a light fun pacebreaker can be game derailingly difficult. Its a thing nobody wants and way more of it than you hope is there. See the Legend of Korra for a brutal example.

Also the word I wanted was homage, not parody. Whoooops.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

i couldnt tell you the difference beteen anvil and bravil or whatever the hell the towns in skyrim were even called, they were just generic places with samey npc's. i know there were some regional differences but these just didn't translate into anything visually identifiable or memorable

Anvil and Bravil were in Oblivion, which also had nicely distinct personalities to the different cities and areas.

Agreed about Morrowind's diversity and Skyrim's lack of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Was Ultima 8 the one with a hilarious amount of bad platforming?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

:sickos:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i fired up RE6 for the very first time after beating RE7 and 1 and playing a bunch of REmake2.

i'd played a lot of 4 and a bit of 5 in the past but was still kind of blown away by how ridiculous gonzo action-movie the prologue is.

wtf is with the four campaign thing, are they completely separate full games like jill/chris from 1 or what

Barudak
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

i fired up RE6 for the very first time after beating RE7 and 1 and playing a bunch of REmake2.

i'd played a lot of 4 and a bit of 5 in the past but was still kind of blown away by how ridiculous gonzo action-movie the prologue is.

wtf is with the four campaign thing, are they completely separate full games like jill/chris from 1 or what

They are 100% separate except for some short setpiece/boss fight crossovers twice for each campaign. Ada's is the unlockable true ending campaign you used to get for beating them all. All of the campaigns have severe issues in terms of design, but were made to appeal to different people so you may end up liking one more than the others. The controls and weapons are really fun and well made, but stage layouts and level pacing is seemingly ground up made to never ever ever let you enjoy the actual gameplay systems.

As a heads up, go into the options and change QTEs to auto succeed. Also, if playing solo, pick the lead character for each campaign to play as. The secondary characters have some real, real, real boring standing around do flip all bits to their campaigns.

Fun Fact: in this fully co-op game, Ada didnt originally launch with a partner character, her story was exclusively solo. That sort of not thinking but having a huge budget pervades the game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 19, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Folks who can play through games quickly are monsters and also are getting worse experiences. 2 games I bought at launch but haven't had a chance to really sit down with till now: Sekiro and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Sekiro has had boss balance and item cost changes and Fire Emblem had a whole new difficulty added. In a way I feel it was the better choice to wait till now to play them.

Then again I was quite chuffed with myself when I finished a Yakuza game in just shy of a calendar month and that was only a 16 hour fairly minimal play-through not one of the monster 50 hour efforts I've heard people speak about.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Folks who can play through games quickly are monsters and also are getting worse experiences.

i think this kind of playing is pushback from ever-increasing backlogs and games-as-services asking for daily bursts of players' time and poo poo like that

i love cod: warzone - it's really good, imo, and is easily the most fun BR game I've played - but like drat i just need to play something with a built-in stopping point to look forward to sometimes

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Speaking of resident evil, my unpopular opinion is that they were much better when they were old style survival horror games a la alone in the dark. I think re4 was the last resident evil game that felt like re (and yes I played 5 and 6 extensively but they turned into just another action franchise, albeit with some 'horror' overtones.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Speaking of resident evil, my unpopular opinion is that they were much better when they were old style survival horror games a la alone in the dark. I think re4 was the last resident evil game that felt like re (and yes I played 5 and 6 extensively but they turned into just another action franchise, albeit with some 'horror' overtones.)

The series does well when it has strong ideas about overall horror theme. It does really poorly when it's about animes doing an anime. In the middle of RE6 where you fight the fly boss with fifteen final forms it got to the point where I wondered what I was even playing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

you should try re7, yeah it has modern controls and kinda turns into an action game by the end but the journey there is pure delight

i think the opening hour or so of the game, where you go from exploring a nearly totally empty house all the way up to the first boss fight against papa baker in the garage is probably the best segment of any horror game, anywhere

also papa baker is an amazing early antagonist, i usually dread games with invincible enemies but baker was a goddamn trip and a half.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Folks who can play through games quickly are monsters and also are getting worse experiences. 2 games I bought at launch but haven't had a chance to really sit down with till now: Sekiro and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Sekiro has had boss balance and item cost changes and Fire Emblem had a whole new difficulty added. In a way I feel it was the better choice to wait till now to play them.

Then again I was quite chuffed with myself when I finished a Yakuza game in just shy of a calendar month and that was only a 16 hour fairly minimal play-through not one of the monster 50 hour efforts I've heard people speak about.

I have to space out my plays of Yakuza games because I can't put them down and finish the stories in a matter of like 4 days because they're so loving good

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Finished Pathologic 2 yesterday. I've never really played anything like it before. By far the most interesting video game I've ever played, also probably kind of terrible and uinteresting for streaming or let's plays as I definitely think it would lose much of what makes it so enaging if you're not actually playing it yourself.

It's hard but not really in a mechanical way where you have to master controls or tactics or anything, it's difficult because it's stressful, frustrating and unfair and you overcome it by suffering through it and having the endurance to carry on, what's more is the game actually compels you to continue, and suffer throught it, and I think that was precisely the point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i loved all the resident evil games, but i have not played any after Code Veronica. its just not the same.

we are living in the retro throwback age. when will someone make a old school tank controls RE? i want it!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Rutibex posted:

i loved all the resident evil games, but i have not played any after Code Veronica. its just not the same.

we are living in the retro throwback age. when will someone make a old school tank controls RE? i want it!

Agreed 100% with all that. Code Veronica was the last "classic" RE.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rutibex posted:

gently caress you and the tank controls you rode in on

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
RE4 is best because it's back when Resident Evil still felt like an old-school horror game but also started having modern gameplay design. Unlike the later games in the series where they feel much more like every boring modern action game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randarkman posted:

Finished Pathologic 2 yesterday. I've never really played anything like it before. By far the most interesting video game I've ever played, also probably kind of terrible and uinteresting for streaming or let's plays as I definitely think it would lose much of what makes it so enaging if you're not actually playing it yourself.

It's hard but not really in a mechanical way where you have to master controls or tactics or anything, it's difficult because it's stressful, frustrating and unfair and you overcome it by suffering through it and having the endurance to carry on, what's more is the game actually compels you to continue, and suffer throught it, and I think that was precisely the point.

I really like this long series of articles by RPS' Quinns about the first one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As much as I loved RE2 as a kid, in retrospect the entire old Resident Evil series is trash. RE4 is a highlight of the old series and it is full of stupid bullshit and clunky, unfun gameplay. I even played RE5 the way it was meant to be played (on a couch with a friend) and I don't remember anything about it.

I have not played the remakes. I checked them out on YouTube and they look very boring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Resident Evil 2/3 were the height of the series for me and I played and replayed 3 to the point that I unlocked the chaingun for Jill, which allows you to just drop the nemesis and keep going at normal pace whenever he shows up.

I never got the rocket launcher because you needed another 8 shitzillion RE3 funbux made from doing complete playthroughs of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPXm2zA8n4

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

w101 is weird and fun so far and at first I thought I kinda hated it and then it weirdly clicked somewhere shortly after the prologue and I think I kinda love it

needs some drat way to manually zoom in and out though, holy poo poo.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Remembered that the DLC for game with way too much anime boobies per cubic meter Xenoblade 2 came out a while ago and I'm enjoying that. It's making me miss Xenoblade X. The unpopular part is that I think X is way better than the first game. I'm not just saying that because it involves robots that you can pilot and transform, but that's a part of it. I really hope X gets a release on the Switch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE2make is a masterclass in remake, much less overall game design. RE3make feels like the exact same quality dip original RE3 was from original RE2, but we cant even pretend Nemesis is cool anymore

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Bitch can't even swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The most positive thing I can say about RE3 is they messed up the unlock system to reward people like me instead of speedrunners which was the wrong move and that Jill uses her MvC2 super move dialog when she equips the rocket launcher