Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ETPC posted:

so that's john carmack, sandy petersen, tim willits and american mcgee who have all been replaced with hatsune miku

i'm glad that john romero and hatsune miku were the two main project leads on classic fps doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that john romero and hatsune miku were the two main project leads on classic fps doom

poor Tom Hall lol

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

We're entirely away from the point of this thread - but like 90% of those guns are in BroForce, the insane 2d Contra riff that should have been sued for copyright infringement fifty times by now.

Parody is fair use, so it can't actually be sued for having John Rambro and B.A. Broracus.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • Former Free Radical lead artist (and current Valve mad scientist) Tristan Reidford dug up the original story outline for Timesplitters: Future Perfect. Pretty neat to see the differences from the final version!
  • After a couple of years of varyingly loud work, Treasure Tech is finally out. This is a gameplay mod that curiously blends together Doom and... Wario Land 4?
  • Some more Quake 1 maps! Because they're infrequent enough AND good enough to all demand individual attention. Hushed Walls and Forgotten Fortress.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Future Perfect is one of those rare games that I find genuinely funny. "It's time to split!" "Ah, ooh, you know what, I'll wait for the next elevator."

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Do people still make quake 3 maps? Do people still play quake 3?

I was a UT boi but quake 3 is good too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Overbite posted:

Do people still make quake 3 maps?
Yes.

Overbite posted:

Do people still play quake 3?
Maybe? The bulk of players are probably on Quake Live nowadays...

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m sure there are a bunch of different ways to play Quake 3 online, but with that out of the way steamcharts shows an average of 30-50 people playing the steam version per night.

https://steamcharts.com/app/2200

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’m sure there are a bunch of different ways to play Quake 3 online, but with that out of the way steamcharts shows an average of 30-50 people playing the steam version per night.

https://steamcharts.com/app/2200

388 on Quake Live it seems...

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=Quake+live

A lot of people have been playing Diabotical for their Quake fix though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers for both are a little down.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

A lot of people have been playing Diabotical for their Quake fix though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers for both are a little down.

The Diabotical beta ended a while ago so those numbers are after people went back to Quake to fill the time until Diabotical launches.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

388 on Quake Live it seems...

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=Quake+live

I remember John Carmack saying he wanted to create a game that people could have installed on their hard drives for 10 years, I guess he got his goal, and way more in fact.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 19, 2020

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I remember John Carmack saying he wanted to create a game that people cold have installed on their hard drives for 10 years, I guess he got his goal, and way more in fact.

Indeed. Even if I always considered myself an Unreal player, I've had a lot of fun with Q3, Q3TA and various mods. Like UT, I always have it installed for the ocasional botmatch.

id's legacy is strong on my PC with Doom and the huge amount of mods and wads, Quake 1, 2 and 3 always present on my PC since their respective releases.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Q3 is an excellent game. Its tight. Theres no fluff. It bangs.

UT is simply more FUN.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

poor Tom Hall lol

he knows what he did

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Some levels have a hidden part somewhere. Get them all, and you acquire:

Doesn't go far enough imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRC1y1xhIkI

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

he knows what he did

Design the best game using the Quake 2 engine, Anachronox?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

After a couple of years of varyingly loud work, Treasure Tech is finally out. This is a gameplay mod that curiously blends together Doom and... Wario Land 4?

Is there anyone who was able to grab this before the author's GDrive hit its download limit and would be able to reupload it somewhere else?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ETPC posted:

so that's john carmack, sandy petersen, tim willits and american mcgee who have all been replaced with hatsune miku

...er, what did American McGee do, other than make Alice and a few really lovely games post-id? What did Willits do, for that matter?

Carmack has been known as a reprehensible rear end in a top hat forever and I saw the Petersen thing, but if either of the other two did anything awful it's news to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don’t think McGee has been milkshake ducked but Willits seems to be a mini-Randy Pitchford, boasting that he invented arena multiplayer and sending threatening emails to McGee like “I butt hosed your girlfriend and she liked it.” Someone posted a big dump of Willits being lovely earlier this year.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ah, so he's just a garden-variety total dick, makes sense

but yeah, the only thing I can really lay at McGee's feet at a glance is that Spicy Horse was sort of a lovely idea from the jump and mostly turned out insanely bad games. seems like an alright guy outside of that, and seems to specifically have been the target of most of the other id shitheads' fuckery.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

From what I remember American McGee's sister disappeared and he thought it had something to with g*mergate for some reason.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Or more specifically, that she was disappeared/murdered by anti-ggate SJWs.

Fame messes you up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Karasu Tengu posted:

Halo 1's tiny sniper rifle doesn't quite fit the bill though.

It's assault rifle does, however.

I think my "favorite" part of Halo 1 is the level where you get the sniper rifle, which is by any metric worse than the pistol.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Tim Willits also couldn’t pass ROTC, but boasts of his cadet rank in various interviews. That is a huge red flag that he’s a chud.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

willits was an office bully who is heavily implied in the rocket jump article / ebook to have slipped american mcgee a mickey when they were hanging out with trent reznor in order to gently caress with him and also once lied under oath in adrian carmack's post-exit contract dispute leading to the following nuclear bomb of an own:

quote:

In early 2004, John Carmack, Kevin Cloud, and Adrian Carmack offered id CEO Todd Hollenshead and lead designer Tim Willits ownership stake

[...]

Knowing he'd been caught in a lie, the co-owner who had just finished perpetuating id's conspiracy story squirmed until the judge dismissed him and summoned John Carmack. The judge asked if Carmack would corroborate his peer's story. According to my anonymous source, Carmack broke from the group's plan and, wearing a smirk, told the judge that the individual who had just testified was virtually incapable of telling the truth.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah mcgee's a goobermater

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don’t know why they mention Carmack smirking that’s like saying a snake hissed before biting. The guy has no other face.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

al-azad posted:

I don’t know why they mention Carmack smirking that’s like saying a snake hissed before biting. The guy has no other face.

Engineer on engineer verbal violence is pretty fun to behold even when it's not in court.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Major props to this new Thief 2 FM, which combines a good, solid sinister-mansion-heist with a randomised murder-mystery to solve as well. Two hours in so far, I've solved the murder correctly, and I need to go back and do a bunch of optional objectives as well.

In my case it was Lucy, with the knitting needle, and then throwing him off the roof.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Two Owls posted:

Major props to this new Thief 2 FM, which combines a good, solid sinister-mansion-heist with a randomised murder-mystery to solve as well. Two hours in so far, I've solved the murder correctly, and I need to go back and do a bunch of optional objectives as well.

In my case it was Lucy, with the knitting needle, and then throwing him off the roof.

So loving down for this, thanks for posting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1262891567808798720

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hopefully this one is actually good unlike SS2 and SS3BFE.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No hopefully this one is good like SS2, not like SSTSE

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hopefully it's good, unlike any other Serious Sam game

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Did they drop the "Planet Badass" subtitle?

RE: FPS pistols - I always appreciate when pistols don't become obsolete once you pick something else up. I like the idea of having an accurate, fairly punchy sidearm to switch to when I want to conserve ammo for other weapons or if my main weapon's magazine is running dry. Stuff like the F.E.A.R. games, Perfect Dark and of course the glorious Halo: Combat Evolved Magnum (Reach's to a lesser extent) are all great pistols. Whenever possible I use an assault rifle/pistol combo; I just have a yen for automatic weapons and handguns. Hell, one of my most played games as of late is Receiver II, which has nothing BUT handguns.

Also, semi-autos>revolvers. Again, I like high rate of fire.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Serious Sam 2 is kinda the only good one out of that mess of a series, and that's because it has a way smarter design method for how enemies come into the maps and just oozing personality.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think my "favorite" part of Halo 1 is the level where you get the sniper rifle, which is by any metric worse than the pistol.

Hey, the sniper rifle penetrates shields, it's actually a lot better.

If you can deal with the complete lack of autoaim.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bottom tier Pistol in gaming has to be Doom 1/2 Pistol. Im having a hard time thinking of something you just completely trash faster and harder than that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dusk ep 3 update: The Iron Cathedral was ok, Fire and Ice and City of Shadows were both pretty good, but I'm five seconds into Crypt of the Flesh and

the fall has broken your flashlight

I can already tell I'm going to hate it.

Two Owls posted:

Oh gently caress yes inject it into my veins

Barudak posted:

Bottom tier Pistol in gaming has to be Doom 1/2 Pistol. Im having a hard time thinking of something you just completely trash faster and harder than that.

Quake 2 pistol, which is just as pathetic as the Doom one but isn't hitscan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Barudak posted:

There's also the pistol from Wolf 3D, but that's less because it's bad and more because with only 1 ammo type, it gets completely obsoleted by the machine gun.