Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Future Days posted:

I thought it was too sad (given the state of tog at the time I wouldn't have expected less), but Chandragupta's wise words still make me laugh.

That was actually pretty good. Reminded me of Neon Genesis Evangelion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gologle posted:

None of this sounds like what anybody wanted out of a sequel of Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

I kinda wonder how that all happened. Did cboyardee and the others have an idea they wanted to do more than barkley 2 and just kinda slapped barkley 2 over it? It's just so wildly different in every way.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Cuntellectual posted:

I kinda wonder how that all happened. Did cboyardee and the others have an idea they wanted to do more than barkley 2 and just kinda slapped barkley 2 over it? It's just so wildly different in every way.

I think it was mentioned like a 100 pages ago, but basically cboy and bort left the project relatively early and this abomination continued to languish and new content needed to be made, and made it was by people who could only try to emulate the b1 sort of writing. Then there was also using Hundley's writing for the game, for example the Lugner quest or the astronaut guy who is 1000% crestfallen (and Baby Huey/Babby Hubert). He is a good writer but there was quite the difference in tone because the stuff he wrote was always gritty, vile, demented or depressing.

The gameplay was always convoluted, right from the start. There were supposed to be dwarf zones where you would go to and they would take away your excess guns as a form of gun tax, chips you could install in your head which could then fry or something like that, X1 having an alien gestate inside him which would then later hatch into a doppelganger, beating up a lich and then becoming the new lich which would have made all npc's look like hovering orbs that you cant interact with, basically making the game unbeatable, replacing your hitpoints, ammo and other resources with money, hacking the game via external .txt files, making the game somehow so encrypted and dynamically changing via the ingame clock that you couldn't use a faq to get through the game. Just an ocean of stuff like that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You'll forgive me if I don't comb through 305 pages for the best tl:dr, but why did they leave the project relatively early?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The kickstarter money ran out and they needed to have a job that paid money, presumably

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gortarius posted:

Also after that point Cdwarf would keep contacting you through Chat Roulette and he would always be extremely paniced and disgusted about all the dicks he had to see before the roulette tuned into X1.
this is the dumbest thing imaginable and I can't stop laughing

like it's just stupid, for no reason, and so many ways it could have been different, so I guess parts of b2 still had that old magic

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gortarius posted:

I think it was mentioned like a 100 pages ago, but basically cboy and bort left the project relatively early and this abomination continued to languish and new content needed to be made, and made it was by people who could only try to emulate the b1 sort of writing. Then there was also using Hundley's writing for the game, for example the Lugner quest or the astronaut guy who is 1000% crestfallen (and Baby Huey/Babby Hubert). He is a good writer but there was quite the difference in tone because the stuff he wrote was always gritty, vile, demented or depressing.

The gameplay was always convoluted, right from the start. There were supposed to be dwarf zones where you would go to and they would take away your excess guns as a form of gun tax, chips you could install in your head which could then fry or something like that, X1 having an alien gestate inside him which would then later hatch into a doppelganger, beating up a lich and then becoming the new lich which would have made all npc's look like hovering orbs that you cant interact with, basically making the game unbeatable, replacing your hitpoints, ammo and other resources with money, hacking the game via external .txt files, making the game somehow so encrypted and dynamically changing via the ingame clock that you couldn't use a faq to get through the game. Just an ocean of stuff like that.

This is like some avant garde arthouse project by someone who hates video games

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah shoulda done a game like one of the Mario RPGs but with cboyardee and bort writing. rip

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mind the walrus posted:

You'll forgive me if I don't comb through 305 pages for the best tl:dr, but why did they leave the project relatively early?

Maybe depressed when they realized the legal situation ToGbrother got them in and that there was no recourse?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

IIRC they originally drifted away for personal reasons (a death in the family and family issues) but then realized they didn't actually want to come back.

Fuschia tude posted:

Maybe depressed when they realized the legal situation ToGbrother got them in and that there was no recourse?

This was literally years before the current legal stuff. It needs to be reiterated that chef and bort left like year 2 out of seven.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 19, 2020

Wulf
May 8, 2008
Did somenone say that the promise has been made yet? Just wanted to make sure.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

The maid has been promised

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Line Feed posted:

The maid has been promised

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mycot posted:

This was literally years before the current legal stuff. It needs to be reiterated that chef and bort left like year 2 out of seven.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Producerbro incorporated everything at the very beginning, if I understand it correctly, and they didn't realize how he had done it and what that meant right away.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Gortarius posted:

beating up a lich and then becoming the new lich which would have made all npc's look like hovering orbs that you cant interact with, basically making the game unbeatable,
Rules

quote:

replacing your hitpoints, ammo and other resources with money
Also rules

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gortarius posted:

If B2 was just another goofy jrpg romp like the first one except less clunky and better looking, people would've loved it.

It didn't need to be less clunky or better looking even

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wulf posted:

Did somenone say that the promise has been made yet? Just wanted to make sure.

Yes.

Anyhoo...

Magical qo' tír na nóg: nargh vo' necron 7 – bortaS cuchulainn: Unofficial Quj Movie – Chapter cha' hoopz barkley SaGa.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Magical qo' tír na nóg: nargh vo' necron 7 – bortaS cuchulainn: Unofficial Quj Movie – Chapter cha' hoopz barkley SaGa.
:A New Legacy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes.

Anyhoo...

Scarodactyl posted:

:A New Legacy

:Reloaded

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Lol. I’m sad I can’t play this

Vipershark
Nov 13, 2010
unironically what needs to be done to have this game completed and released

note that i did not say enjoyed, i said released

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Vipershark posted:

Currently it all rests on a money man with no money and scattered unpaid fools

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Vipershark posted:

To complete it, it would require cutting unfinished areas, quest and npc's that aren't necessary, scripting the endgame plot stuff and having an ending, and people who would do all this work.

To release it, it would require a dozen or so people be given what they were promised, probably some permissions to use stuff, making sure you have a functional game and putting it on steam, and people who would do all this work.

To make it good? Lot of rewriting to make X1 not such a sociopath, rewriting the demented and depressing stuff, completing the unfinished content, fixing combat, fixing bosses, making everything less convoluted and more streamlined (this is like 20+ issues under one point), increasing the resolution to a 16:10 or 16:9 standard (for example 480x270, which can then be scaled 2x, 3x, 4x etc. ingame), getting more chef tunes and writing, make everyone less yappy, fixing all the bugs, testing & feedback and adjustments based on said feedback, and people who would do all this work.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
did you forget "making sure the randomly generated text box borders work"

I am only joking but also that was my favorite high-effort-low-payoff thing that got done because Frankie just decided he wanted to do it (or did someone else suggest it to him?) from this entire clusterfuck.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

DACK FAYDEN posted:

did you forget "making sure the randomly generated text box borders work"

I am only joking but also that was my favorite high-effort-low-payoff thing that got done because Frankie just decided he wanted to do it (or did someone else suggest it to him?) from this entire clusterfuck.

Don't worry, the random borders are working perfectly, and it only wasted like 10 hours of work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like Barkley. I like RPG.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Truecon420 posted:

Lol. I’m sad I can’t play this

The forums were the main reason to play .hack//G.U.

e: Speaking of, it just got included in the latest humble bundle.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 19, 2020

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Gortarius posted:

To complete it, it would require cutting unfinished areas, quest and npc's that aren't necessary, scripting the endgame plot stuff and having an ending, and people who would do all this work.

To release it, it would require a dozen or so people be given what they were promised, probably some permissions to use stuff, making sure you have a functional game and putting it on steam, and people who would do all this work.

To make it good? Lot of rewriting to make X1 not such a sociopath, rewriting the demented and depressing stuff, completing the unfinished content, fixing combat, fixing bosses, making everything less convoluted and more streamlined (this is like 20+ issues under one point), increasing the resolution to a 16:10 or 16:9 standard (for example 480x270, which can then be scaled 2x, 3x, 4x etc. ingame), getting more chef tunes and writing, make everyone less yappy, fixing all the bugs, testing & feedback and adjustments based on said feedback, and people who would do all this work.

Wait was the native resolution a 4:3 ratio

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gortarius posted:

Don't worry, the random borders are working perfectly, and it only wasted like 10 hours of work.
That's way lower than I expected.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Wait was the native resolution a 4:3 ratio

I'm misremembering this, I think it actually already was 16:10 ratio but the resolution itself was so poo poo that there was constant problems with fitting stuff on the screen, among other problems.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's way lower than I expected.

It might've been 1 hour, 10 hours or 100 hours. It was one of those things that should not have been entertained until the rest of the game was done.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
the imaginary gun's are my favorite

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly the randomized border thing does not sound like a particularly time consuming task especially considering that frankie seems to produce sprites at an insane rate. I guess it's a microcosm of the kind of excessive bloat and feature creep the project had as a whole but by itself it doesn't sound like a big deal. to me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's necessary to prioritize in order to get anything done. Small features add up.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Gortarius posted:

This is the jodorowski’s dune of video games

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Whoever has the rights should just release it as a phone gatcha game.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

i remember many years ago this game had a booth at PAX and I was able to play the demo, so i ran around in the town cause i wanted to see the writing. anyway the wizard hosting the booth pointed me to a sidequest where i had to fill in a missing word for a couple of NPCs. it was really obvious what the solution was since it was multiple choice with all words being the same except for three out of four of them having typos

anyway i picked the wrong one cause i wanted to see what the dialogue would be and everyone watching the demo just looked at me like i was the stupidest fucker on the planet. that is my Barkley 2 experience, thanks for listening

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

mycot posted:

IIRC they originally drifted away for personal reasons (a death in the family and family issues) but then realized they didn't actually want to come back.

The oddest part of that was Bort came here yelling at the whistleblowers that they ruined the project and they need to stop complaining and get back to work. How ironic since he was one of the first ones to ditch them. Like, I get that he started a family and was too busy to work on the game, but to attack those who tried to save it after he left with no sense of gratitude or self-reflection on how maybe his absence hurt the game's progress? His rant really gave an insight on why the project was doomed to fail.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Original_Z posted:

The oddest part of that was Bort came here yelling at the whistleblowers that they ruined the project and they need to stop complaining and get back to work. How ironic since he was one of the first ones to ditch them. Like, I get that he started a family and was too busy to work on the game, but to attack those who tried to save it after he left with no sense of gratitude or self-reflection on how maybe his absence hurt the game's progress? His rant really gave an insight on why the project was doomed to fail.

I must admit I kinda liked that post because it had a part in it that was something like:

"Hey gz, if you don't like how things are going, you can always just go on GIT and download the game and make it the way you like it."

I think I'll look it up later just to reminisce on the good ol' days of the implosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Isn't bort the bro of the guy who (along with everyone else) ruined the whole project and then also someone's fiance or wife turned up?

What a saga