Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
BDO is good fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
well which one is it???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i paid $0 for it on steam and i've been having fun for a couple hundred hours over the quarantine so it's good.

if it ever stops being fun i can stop, but even at $10 i'd say a hundred hours of fun is a good price.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Kaysette posted:

well which one is it???

BDO is really really fun early on. The combat feels really good and interactive as you do 'combos' rather than mashing 1,2,4,2,3,1,3,2 over and over...

Problem with BDO at least for me was the 'late game' which is both a hell grind for xp and a hell grind for enchants.

If you're just happy doing cool looking combos and playing anime dress up game forever, BDO is good and fun. If you are trying to get involved in PvP or grind for BIS gear the game is poo poo.

Also life skills are neat and unique - and it's an interesting mashup of idle progression on top of the base game - which used to be plagued by bots but it looks like BDO has finally done something about the free AutoIt version at least....

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I played until I hit enlightenment, then suddenly hit a brick wall. The quests sent me to the desert area, where progress without a significant gear upgrade seemed impossible. So I stopped.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah there's currently an event that gives all the <almost top tier> gear for 1 silver temporarily, and for very easy quests permanently. i'd have probably quit by now if it weren't for that

knox
Oct 28, 2004

If you've been looking for a PvP MMO I would highly recommend checking out Return of Reckoning the Warhammer Online private server. Population recently over doubled from a TheLazyPeon video back at the end of February. Obviously free to play with easy installation. The devs have put 5 years of work into getting all the PvE working (public quests, dungeons, etc), ranked scenarios for solo queuing & 6man party with season 1 just starting, forts & city siege. The other two being most important- optimizing the game as best as possible to support the huge open RvR battles, and balancing the games many classes each with three different specs + the subtle differences between each classes opposite faction mirror.

We have a very active and still growing goon guild on Destro side, check out the thread I made. If you enjoy PvP whatsoever it's definitely worth checking it out.

knox fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 6, 2020

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Albion is good.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Anidav posted:

Albion is good.

I was so shocked by this that I checked your post history and see that you just started.

I'm sorry to say that you made a huge mistake, but it may take you some time to realize it.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

An ARPG with public lobbies where your character can jump around gets to be called an MMO these days; we're just fooling ourselves at this point.
If your starter zones aren't constantly brimming with players and 1+ hour queues then you're "dead " in the mind of the average sweaty MMO try hard. How does a developer deal with this knowing their week 1 population will exponentially shrink 6 months from now? They make systems that extract the players from the world and place them in an environment separate from the rest of the world and its players, or they make worlds feel smaller and smaller as playerbase shrinks (i.e. Luclin portals, flying mounts, that kind of stuff). It's what the players want, but it's not MMO.
Empty servers in the older style games were seen as unspoiled lands rich with resources and no competition to many. Now, systems designed to cope with overpopulation like instancing, "phasing", transfers, mergers and zone channels encourage players to migrate to megapop servers on top of many other things. There's no incentive to play on "dead" servers, because the world itself has no value after you hit the level cap.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I think your describing the leveling question, Guild Wars 1 sorta attacked that by making leveling fairly short, and end game most of the game.

So you can respond to this by:
*No leveling or minimal leveling (tutorial more or less)
*Skill usage based leveling (Skyrim / Elder Scrolls MMO)
*Time based skills (EvE online)
*Money based leveling (AKA you should be matched up with people of your same rank / wallet size)

I think survival games currently fill most of the gaps in MMO games with the above issues, but as solidly pointed out, those games do not have zone creep going on where old content is devalued.

In order to make an MMO today work the leveling system first needs to be flat or almost flat, such that a level 1 and 50 could reasonably run across each other in the world.

Next is the issue with instance content vs open worlds. Instance content systems allow for fine control over clearing the content, you know the team has 5 or 6 members, can be expected to do x dps and x healing. You can even adjust NPC levels up or down on the fly to ensure it still takes 10 to 15 seconds to kill an NPC.

Open world systems need A) a reason to keep to only a small group and B) enough space in the world that the players can spread out.

Ultimately there is no simple choice here. Picking and choosing the systems to make a strong MMO is hard, impacted by server technology, and who knows what else.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Tempora Mutantur posted:

well this cursed subforum did trick me into buying LO so there's that

LO is cool and good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
playing return of reckoning, the freeshard warhammer online mmo

it is bad

also playing a better mmo called mech warrior online

haha it is a mmo now and also awful but better than warhammer

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Third World Reagan posted:

it is bad

actually it's good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

it is bad

Interesting but false opinion it is in fact a good MMO

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah this looks great you guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEr12EjAQro

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

it’s good for abandonware mmo pvp combat so we’re setting the bar pretty low. healing in T1 scenarios is a lot of fun.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Anyways heres some footage from BDO thing where guild ships fight giant sea monster for weekly rewards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVcw98iGioU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why do all these old games have a UI that looks like a D&D manual and some Magic the Gathering cards had a violent orgy with a box of crayons. At no point in history has anyone outside of MMO developers thought that this was okay.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
To be fair the BDO UI is a collage of nonsensical buttons. I can't really think of any MMO that has really been able to innovate here, and we desperately need one to come along and present us with a way out of this mess

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I cannot believe you are straight faced promoting the lonely hellgrind that is BDO.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, if anything, BDO actually discourages you using hotbars for anything other than foods or potions because of the way combat works.

I mean, BDO has its faults, but the combat sure isn't one of them.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Glenn Quebec posted:

I cannot believe you are straight faced promoting the lonely hellgrind that is BDO.

I think people have been trained by Wowlikes to throw themselves at this task of maxing out their character but in BDO the max is so loving high it never ends

Personally, I like running my massive farm, managing my armor crafting empire, defeating rift bosses, and grinding once a week for 2 or 3 hours using a 1200% XP boost I get for free

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kaysette posted:

it’s good for abandonware mmo pvp combat so we’re setting the bar pretty low. healing in T1 scenarios is a lot of fun.

that is the problem with the game

T1 is fun

T2/3 scenarios, T4 scenarios, and T4 RvR are the only things after that

And those can be buckets of not fun

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
Define a good MMO? The term has become so broad, and so many different types have emerged. Players all want different things out of them. I suppose a "Good" MMO is whatever makes you happy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Good MMO is whatever MMO I’m playing right now or is one that fits the following criteria:

1) isn’t WoW
2) isn’t dead

knox
Oct 28, 2004

that is the problem with the game

T1 is fun

T2/3 scenarios, T4 scenarios, and T4 RvR are the only things after that

And those can be buckets of not fun

I'd be interested to know how much "T4 RvR" (RR40+) you've done as you talk about T1 being fun, which makes no sense whatsoever.

jokes posted:

The Good MMO is whatever MMO I’m playing right now or is one that fits the following criteria:

1) isn’t WoW
2) isn’t dead

yerrrrrr
I went over the reasons why I was playing Return of Reckoning and why I think it's the best PvP MMO to play right now. I've seen a lot of new people who never experienced the game come from other MMOs/wasn't playing poo poo because thread title, and they've really enjoyed the actual "grind" itself which is PvP + gearing at 'endgame.'

knox fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 20, 2020

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Jintozook81 posted:

Define a good MMO? The term has become so broad, and so many different types have emerged. Players all want different things out of them. I suppose a "Good" MMO is whatever makes you happy.

Most MMORPGs are good, that's why I have 15 installed on my SSD.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

:whitewater:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mormon Star Wars posted:

oof

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pull up the rope. There's nothing more we can do for them.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

the quest for a good mmo is inherently quixotic and we're all doomed ITT

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
there can't be another good mmo if there was never a good mmo

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The good mmo is whichever one you played as a teenager.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

there can't be another good mmo if there was never a good mmo

confirmed

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

WoW completely hosed the genre. It was so massive and so profitable it completely shut down any and all innovation in the genre until it became the dead husk it is today. A good MMO requires a lot of resources and there just isn't enough appetite for investment/risk from the studios that have the expertise and money with the current state of things. Had WoW not happened I think things would have gone in a much different direction. There were a lot of cool ideas and experiments that were just getting started when WoW came through like a freight train and stomped everything else out of existence.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

D-Pad posted:

WoW completely hosed the genre. It was so massive and so profitable it completely shut down any and all innovation in the genre until it became the dead husk it is today. A good MMO requires a lot of resources and there just isn't enough appetite for investment/risk from the studios that have the expertise and money with the current state of things. Had WoW not happened I think things would have gone in a much different direction. There were a lot of cool ideas and experiments that were just getting started when WoW came through like a freight train and stomped everything else out of existence.

This happened with Freespace 2, as well. It killed off the space sim genre for a very long time. A lot of media has the problem, it occurs in movie genres as well. For action flicks, Predator (OG Predator) marked the end of the proper 80s action film. There would be others after it but they wouldn't reach the same height. There are a ton of examples in the movie realm that I can't recall at the moment.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

This happened with Freespace 2, as well. It killed off the space sim genre for a very long time. A lot of media has the problem, it occurs in movie genres as well. For action flicks, Predator (OG Predator) marked the end of the proper 80s action film. There would be others after it but they wouldn't reach the same height. There are a ton of examples in the movie realm that I can't recall at the moment.

All YA fiction is derivative of Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Twilight from what I see these days

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

knox posted:

I'd be interested to know how much "T4 RvR" (RR40+) you've done as you talk about T1 being fun, which makes no sense whatsoever.

T1 was the most fun version during live which is part of the reason they made it F2P for a bit.

Also, it is still fun now.

A lot of things make higher tiers less fun, like more abilities.

That is why the new T2/3 merger they did that lasts until 39 can be hot garbage based on what skills your team has and lacks compared to the other team.

T4 is still not fun my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Frankly there should have just been T1 and T2. The good parts are at the beginning and at the end of the game. Having you graduate from naked to semi-capable and semi-geared to end-game would have been fine. Easier to balance too.