Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

WoW completely hosed the genre. It was so massive and so profitable it completely shut down any and all innovation in the genre until it became the dead husk it is today. A good MMO requires a lot of resources and there just isn't enough appetite for investment/risk from the studios that have the expertise and money with the current state of things. Had WoW not happened I think things would have gone in a much different direction. There were a lot of cool ideas and experiments that were just getting started when WoW came through like a freight train and stomped everything else out of existence.

WoW had to happen though. By that I mean someone would've put in the effort to polish up the MMO experience and provide a means for solo players to engage in content. Whatever you consider to be innovation would've been short lived because the entire game industry was leaning toward things like accessibility and casualness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The only bad MMORPG right now is Everquest 2, and that's because it went from absurdly high quality expansions with awesome overarching stories and cool aesthetics to whatever the hell they are doing now, which apparently $80 expansions that consist of five quests and require you to spend money upgrading abilities because "We don't want to attract new players, just get old players to resubscribe."

Everquest 1 is still good, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i thought i'd have quit BDO by now, but instead it's just an extremely chill grind with friends experience that's highly reminiscent of ragnarok online or lineage 2 for me, but with good combat. i just get on mumble with friends and we blow up some enemies for an hour or three.

D-Pad posted:

WoW completely hosed the genre.
ehh

there were still plenty of good experiments, they just rarely came from a western developer. even so, d&d online is 2006, and while it's only a mmo in the gw1 sense, it had incredibly good movement/combat for a 2006 online-only game, and runs fine, if a bit unintuitively sometimes, even on ~250 ping.

the fact that wow cloned everquest instead of "a good game, but with more players on screen", and then got super popular and considered "the only way to make a proper mmo" is definitely a deadweight around "proper" MMOs necks tho. i mean poo poo, i don't even dislike that kind of combat personally it's fun enough in a "d&d realtime without pause rpg" kind of way, but it's been 21 years, do something new already.

so, not completely hosed, but it's definitely not helped variety. i'm still raiding in ff14 and having tons of fun trying to kill the latest new boss with my fairly casual group, but ff14 is an amazing game in spite of lovely combat designed in the 90s to work on 56k modems and 30 button hotbars, not because of them.

and when you mention even a simple QoL feature like "hey uh, maybe all these dumb 1-2-3 skills that amount to your autoattack combo could be a single button you hold/press 3 times" you get a bunch of grognards yelling how this is dumbing down the game, and how much more involved pushing 123 instead of 111 is, lmao

a game with ff14's direction and consistency for dungeons/bosses and class balance but bdo or gw2 combat/movement would be pretty nice imo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Now that it's out and I've played it to death, FFVII Remake would be an insanely good model for an online game. The action combat perfectly complements the RPG mechanics, and there's a ton of scope for respeccing characters to fill different roles in a party. Just move the spells and abilities from a slow motion menu to weapon wheels or something similar to the FFXIV console hotbar system and you're golden.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

T1 was the most fun version during live which is part of the reason they made it F2P for a bit.

Also, it is still fun now.

A lot of things make higher tiers less fun, like more abilities.

That is why the new T2/3 merger they did that lasts until 39 can be hot garbage based on what skills your team has and lacks compared to the other team.

T4 is still not fun my dude.

T1 is more fun to you because you have less abilities...got it. Also you seem to be saying somehow the concept of having lovely teammates is unique to T2-T4 not T1, and also only Return of Reckoning....

You didn't answer the question either.

knox fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 20, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

This happened with Freespace 2, as well. It killed off the space sim genre for a very long time.

FreeSpace 2 was a failure sales-wise despite being the best game its genre ever produced which is why the genre died.

MMOs should work like Guild Wars where you had to pick a set of spells and couldn't have 100 on hotkeys at all times.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

knox posted:

T1 is more fun to you because you have less abilities...got it. Also you seem to be saying somehow the concept of having lovely teammates is unique to T2-T4 not T1, and also only Return of Reckoning....

You didn't answer the question either.

T2/3 feels annoying for like 10 levels until you get your own CC skills or important talents is probably what most people feel when first going into tier. it's pretty slow how you get mastery points on way to 40 originally.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

:getin:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jintozook81 posted:

Define a good MMO? The term has become so broad, and so many different types have emerged. Players all want different things out of them. I suppose a "Good" MMO is whatever makes you happy.

A good MMO is magical piece of software that would make you 15 again with no responsibilities but homework you swear you've already got done and nothing to do but dick around online with other people in similar situations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly its not that magical of a thing. Just a decent game that requires large parties to get things done and isn't tab-target combat. That's it.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Hooooooooooooly poo poo. I remember playing The Realm at my best friends house in middle/high school almost 25 YEARS AGO.

I'm old.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
All I want is BDO with real group content and an enhancement system that doesn't kick you in face repeatedly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the enhancement system got delegated to people who like getting kicked in the face repeatedly, and you can just buy the items from them. grind, sell everything, get cash, place an order on the marketplace, have item by the time you log in next day.

real group content though, that's in a lovely spot. people do grind in groups in areas where groups are recommended, and they're adding more like that soon i think, but they're all high level areas you need to grind gear for and that's gonna be in spots where grouping isn't optimal. the game could really use some group areas for people who are below 240 AP.

like, i still pretty much only grind with my friends and we go to grind spots that are meant for higher geared solo people, but we also know it's super inefficient to do this.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

where do i get this wallpaper

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

the enhancement system got delegated to people who like getting kicked in the face repeatedly, and you can just buy the items from them. grind, sell everything, get cash, place an order on the marketplace, have item by the time you log in next day.

real group content though, that's in a lovely spot. people do grind in groups in areas where groups are recommended, and they're adding more like that soon i think, but they're all high level areas you need to grind gear for and that's gonna be in spots where grouping isn't optimal. the game could really use some group areas for people who are below 240 AP.

like, i still pretty much only grind with my friends and we go to grind spots that are meant for higher geared solo people, but we also know it's super inefficient to do this.

It's also nice that event giveaways distribute billions of silver for just logging in

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id take release day archeage prior to them selling thunderstrucks and then ruining trade, but its impossible to not completely gently caress up Archeage through greed apparently

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Did any of the Arch Age rereleases capture that feel? Ive lost count of how many times Trion has rereleased AA at this point. I was tempted to try the new server on at least one occasion but I think Im pretty much done with anything Trion has been involved in at this point.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was psyched for Archeage, but I played for a few days until I was ready to accept that my computer couldn't manage a tolerable framerate. I think I got out at the right time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did any of the Arch Age rereleases capture that feel? Ive lost count of how many times Trion has rereleased AA at this point. I was tempted to try the new server on at least one occasion but I think Im pretty much done with anything Trion has been involved in at this point.

no, every AA fresh start was a clusterfuck from what I understand

I think they're even doing *another* fresh start?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Theyre actually releasing a paid DLC type of thing some time in the near future. I guess that means it still has enough players left to actively fund development, which I find kind of shocking considering the games history.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How the gently caress is Trion even still around? They had what, one mild success with Rift, and at least two duds? There was also that voxel game that was clearly trying to scoop up players from Cubeworld (which actually released recently :psyduck:). Oh, and an MMO...RTS that died in the crib.

Are they just the Uber of developers, taking in cash from idiot investor who know Trion’s gonna strike it rich any day now?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"mildly successful mmo" means billions in revenue, it's not a coincidence everyone and their dog chased the mmo pie for a good while until they figured out people shell out for subs/microtransations in single player games just fine.

subscriptions/MTs are a powerful drug

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Pants Donkey posted:

How the gently caress is Trion even still around? They had what, one mild success with Rift, and at least two duds? There was also that voxel game that was clearly trying to scoop up players from Cubeworld (which actually released recently :psyduck:). Oh, and an MMO...RTS that died in the crib.

Are they just the Uber of developers, taking in cash from idiot investor who know Trion’s gonna strike it rich any day now?

They aren't, they made a ton of predictable business errors and faced bankruptcy and ended up getting bought out by Gamigo, who fired almost all the staff.

As someone who has Rift installed as one of his 15 bad mmorpgs, I'll say this: The Gamigo guys are way more interactive with the community than the guys from latter-day Trion (lol @ the Rift twitter being "Tell us your favorite color!" level stuff) but they are still trying to figure out how to add new content.

The guy they've got in charge of design just created a set of test "t3" raid bosses that are spawning in the newbie zones so they can figure out how to tweak it. It's a good sign in the long run, but man, it's kind of sad watching it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Remember Ocho trying to justifying taking away weekly dungeon loot from f2p players in Rift by saying, "Ah, but if you can only get dungeon loot once a day... more people will run dungeons!" I have still never figured out how the hell that was supposed to work.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Trion raised a couple hundred million in venture capital back in 2012 or so. As the games they released continued to tank the VCs pressured them to introduce more micro transactions, lay off staff, etc to get revenue up. The reason Trion managed to last as long as it did before being sold off was straight up that a group of venture capitalists were trying to wring every last cent out of the player base as cheaply as possible. So yeah, I suppose they sort of were the Uber of MMO companies, but their management wasnt strong enough to keep the investors from taking over and driving the whole thing off a cliff.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just heard from a crazy person that Phantasy Star Online 2 is hitting PCs in the western world in like 3 or 4 days, was that a good MMO? I looked for a thread but out of the 3 thread titles I read none of them were right so I gave up and came here because I feel like the answer is going to be "there has never been a good MMO"

For content: chloromancers in rift were rad and if rift ever gets good again I'm playing the poo poo out of one. With any luck, chloros will actually be viable if/when this happens because I'm pretty sure over the years they've wildly oscillated between overpowered and really bad, back and forth forever and I don't think Trion actually had any idea of how to balance their healing and damage throughput in a way that didn't either make them too lovely at damage or too lovely at healing or, more frequently, both

tldr wizards shooting plant missiles to heal their dudes is loving sweet and also a mess to balance

Khorne
May 1, 2002
PSO2 is more like an ARPG lobby game.

I played it around when it came out so I have no idea how good or bad it is now, a decade later, but I liked PSO1 a bit better and PSO2 never seemed particularly interesting. It's not a bad game but it doesn't do anything particularly well either. There are still a ton of people hyped for the NA release for some reason.

It's a pretty chill game and worth playing if it's fun to you. True for nearly all games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 23, 2020

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I played pso2 with a fan translation patch like 6 years ago and it was really bland and boring. It would probably be a waste of hard drive space for 95% of the people who install it

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

PSO1 on Gamecube ruled my life for a solid month during winter break, but I get the feeling it hasn’t aged well.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just want a good, modern MMO to come out that has an intriguing theme, good PVE, and good optional PVP. Is that too much to ask? (yes)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There will never be a good MMO ever again.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rexicon1 posted:

There will never be a good MMO ever again.

just wait for Burning Crusade Classic lol

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I cam hear searching for the PSO2 thread but yes, the game is coming out tomorrow before the end of the day on PC. For what I can tell it's like PSO but with better combat which is ok with me. And yes it's as much a real MMO then the previous iteration of PSO and PSU.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Bleusilences posted:

I cam hear searching for the PSO2 thread but yes, the game is coming out tomorrow before the end of the day on PC. For what I can tell it's like PSO but with better combat which is ok with me. And yes it's as much a real MMO then the previous iteration of PSO and PSU.

so it's not an mmo in anyway whatsoever

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Incredible titty action though.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Pretty much yeah, I say it's more like path of exile.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Incredible titty action though.

Pass. Black Desert Online has incredible titty action AND I can go fishing.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
was looking at the various rankings in bdo and some rear end in a top hat still in parks and rec is in the top ten for total wealth. Which poster are you?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Never played it but game of the year imo!