Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
For anyone that subscribes to the humble monthly, Frostpunk is currently one of the games available for free. I've been playing it for the past few days and it's pretty bleak but fun. It's made by the same company that did This War of Mine, so the atmosphere's along the same line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Frostpunk is also on Xbox Game Pass

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
How the hell do you get roasted food out of a fire in UnrealWorld?

Edit: I see now that it gets spit out of the fire, but the problem for me was that it was spit onto a tile partially obscured by a tree one tile further over, so I spent 30 mins trying to figure out how to pick up something inside the fire only for the game to tell me that there was nothing there to pick up.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 17, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bgreman posted:

How the hell do you get roasted food out of a fire in UnrealWorld?

When you roast it, you should be dropping it next to the fire. Once it's done, stand on it and you should be able to hit 'g' for 'get' and pick it up. If it doesn't let you pick it up (or it only let's you pick SOME of it up) then it's not done yet.

EDIT: But if you've pushed it ('p') onto the fire for some reason, yeaah....that food ain't comin' back :v:

Griz
May 21, 2001

and that's why I always pick shelter sites where nothing important will be hidden behind the top tile of a tree.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Thanks to this thread, some folk on various discords (are there any good URW discords?), and a healthy helping of luck from the spirits, I've done it.

I finished my cabin with some time to spare. Already have some lines of meats up and smoking, a cellar with a little pile of dried and smoked foods I traded for as I built, a few nets I also traded for that I can check with my punt, a cooking pot to boil my meats and help extend my meals, and I've gotten more confident in hunting with my dog Aatu. So now my focus is going to be on alternating between hunting some big game to smoke and get hides from, while also working on making traps and things, and basically just try to stock up on what I can before winter hits.

drat does this game feel good.

edit: can I tie my dog up inside the house? do I need to when it gets colder?

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 17, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ShootaBoy posted:

Thanks to this thread, some folk on various discords (are there any good URW discords?), and a healthy helping of luck from the spirits, I've done it.

I finished my cabin with some time to spare. Already have some lines of meats up and smoking, a cellar with a little pile of dried and smoked foods I traded for as I built, a few nets I also traded for that I can check with my punt, a cooking pot to boil my meats and help extend my meals, and I've gotten more confident in hunting with my dog Aatu. So now my focus is going to be on alternating between hunting some big game to smoke and get hides from, while also working on making traps and things, and basically just try to stock up on what I can before winter hits.

drat does this game feel good.

edit: can I tie my dog up inside the house? do I need to when it gets colder?

Congrats, with that house and kit you're at the point where you "solved" survival and the only threat will be boredom / big predators / Njerpez. Be advised - winter is SUPER boring, days are short, nights are incredibly dark and with waist-high snow getting anywhere is a pain. Make a lot of firewood for your fireplace, stock up on torches and fur clothes (and make/trade for skis) if you want to move around.

I think you can tie up your dog to trees but not directly to the ground or the house, and I also think it's completely unnecessary - dogs don't suffer from even extreme cold, and unless you're not feeding them regularly they won't flee; used to be that unleashing your dog was a surefire way to lose it forever as it just bolted away and it was super hard to find him again, now they mostly hang around you anyway as long as they're fed. Good doggos.

Once you start getting REALLY bored, you can look into mods - there's a specific section in the official forums, and people have added an insane amount of stuff, mainly crafting recipes ranging from basic to super-involved (ironworking, sewing, cooking, new tools, new weapons and so on). It seems the most up-to-date is BAC mod (log in to see the download link) that adds a poo poo ton of new stuff

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TorakFade posted:

Congrats, with that house and kit you're at the point where you "solved" survival and the only threat will be boredom / big predators / Njerpez. Be advised - winter is SUPER boring, days are short, nights are incredibly dark and with waist-high snow getting anywhere is a pain.
It's been a couple years since I played, but I avoid making cabins now because at that point I feel like the game is won and there's nothing to really struggle for. And also because grinding the treecutting is tedious.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TorakFade posted:

Congrats, with that house and kit you're at the point where you "solved" survival and the only threat will be boredom / big predators / Njerpez. Be advised - winter is SUPER boring, days are short, nights are incredibly dark and with waist-high snow getting anywhere is a pain. Make a lot of firewood for your fireplace, stock up on torches and fur clothes (and make/trade for skis) if you want to move around.

I think you can tie up your dog to trees but not directly to the ground or the house, and I also think it's completely unnecessary - dogs don't suffer from even extreme cold, and unless you're not feeding them regularly they won't flee; used to be that unleashing your dog was a surefire way to lose it forever as it just bolted away and it was super hard to find him again, now they mostly hang around you anyway as long as they're fed. Good doggos.

Once you start getting REALLY bored, you can look into mods - there's a specific section in the official forums, and people have added an insane amount of stuff, mainly crafting recipes ranging from basic to super-involved (ironworking, sewing, cooking, new tools, new weapons and so on). It seems the most up-to-date is BAC mod (log in to see the download link) that adds a poo poo ton of new stuff

I'm still in quite a knife-edge spot honestly. My traded for stockpile is probably about a week's worth of food between me and my dog. All the stuff I'm smoking will take a few weeks before it's ready and food, as well as the big game, are scarce because of the number of close by villages. For now I need to stock up on wood and get a hide to just make into tons of cordage, then skis and hopefully a fence.

I'm taking this gal as far as I can, to hopefully finish the survival course at least, which means getting through winter so I can do agriculture.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vib Rib posted:

It's been a couple years since I played, but I avoid making cabins now because at that point I feel like the game is won and there's nothing to really struggle for. And also because grinding the treecutting is tedious.

I usually hire someone to do the treecutting for me - or at least with me, having to chop down only half the needed trees is already a big deal - if I'm ready to build and have some extra meat. But yeah I feel you. That's where I either go Njerp-hunting (and die) or get one of those crazy mods with multi-step crafting to pass the time (and then get bored anyways, go Njerp-hunting and die)

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm still in quite a knife-edge spot honestly. My traded for stockpile is probably about a week's worth of food between me and my dog. All the stuff I'm smoking will take a few weeks before it's ready and food, as well as the big game, are scarce because of the number of close by villages. For now I need to stock up on wood and get a hide to just make into tons of cordage, then skis and hopefully a fence.

I'm taking this gal as far as I can, to hopefully finish the survival course at least, which means getting through winter so I can do agriculture.

Sure but with a bunch of nets and a punt, you can surely catch more than enough fish to keep you fed while you wait for smoking to finish :) keep your traps set and remember to check them relatively often! Oh and about nets: if you check them before 1 day passed, they will be empty, but if more than 2 days pass, anything caught will probably be already rotting and useless. You have to check them between 1 and 2 days after you set them for best results.

Do try finishing the survival course, at the end you'll get a very nice bonus (pick skills), and then you can do the advanced adventures! Also look into village quests since you have many nearby, and start learning and using new rituals, that's fun.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 17, 2020

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What’s in these mods? I haven’t played in a while and that’d be a good way to make the game fresh again.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Demiurge4 posted:

What’s in these mods? I haven’t played in a while and that’d be a good way to make the game fresh again.

That BAC one (download from the forum in the modding section as per previous link, or from the wiki here)seems to be the most comprehensive and updated, merging a lot of the older mods in one, and it has :

quote:

Barkware
Objects made from bark, including boxes (useful for storing grains and flour), clothing, bark bandages and glue. The mod also features a new system for making cordage - alder or willow park peeled from trees using the "Peel bark" command under "Timbercraft" skill, can be turned into fibre using the "Fibre from bark" recipe under Barkware. Then, it can be made into cordage using the "Twisted cord" or "Twisted and braided rope" recipes under Tying Equipment.

Boneworking
Includes bone fishhooks, making sinew fibres, and combs (useful for knitting)

Bowying
Making bowstrings, tillers and all the various types of bows.

Carpentry
Catch-all category for most woodworking, this includes everything from barrels and tubs, to furniture and whittling, toymaking and combs.

Earthenware
Digging clay and making clay objects. Most recipes require a kiln, which is also found in this menu. Clay pot can be a much cheaper way of attaining this item in the early game. Some clay toys are also included here.

Fletching
Arrow-making. Includes several options for shafts and arrowheads. Also adds the option to repair broken arrows.

Hideworking
This menu mostly deals with making coverings for kotas. The mod uses a new system for building kotas. You can also make leather tarps, which can be used to create tarp shelters - much faster to build than standard shelters.

Knitting
Deals with all aspect of making cloth from wool, including shearing sheep, carding the wool and knitting garments. Knitting needles are also found here.

Lumber
Contains a variety of recipes related to construction and woodworking. Logs may be shortened and split into sections here, useful for bowying and boatbuilding. Block pots and tubs may also be created. Branches can be bundled for easier transportation and storage, and spruce mats can be woven which count as blankets for warmth. Charcoal for blacksmithing is also under this menu, Finally, some furniture recipes call for carved & sanded boards, which can be found here.

Metalworking
One of the more complex production trees, metalworking contains most aspects of making iron tools, from smelting iron, to making steel, and finally forging iron nails, blades and tool pieces. Most tools for ironworking, such as forges and bloomeries, are also found here.

Mining & More
Harvesting raw iron from bogs or mountains. Crushing stones to make rocks. Washing bandages so that they can be used again - in essence this just creates a new bandage, use responsibly. Cleaning fish to get fish cuts. In addition, this menu contains options for melting down weapons to salvage the steel. You can also add a new haft to axes, if they have been damaged in battle or you think you might be able to improve the quality with a new handle (axe hafts are found under Lumber)

Toolmaking
This is the menu for producing finished goods from the components produced in Metalworking. Some important forging tools are also made here, including bellows and hammers. The mod adds several new tools, including augurs, pliers, drills, drawknives and adzes, among others. These are important for furniture-making and boatbuilding.

Transport
Another complex menu, the mod adds many options for watercraft. Punts can be made with tarps, ropes can be freed from rafts, and the more complex options include birch-bark punts, dug-out log punts, and finally the large clinker-built boat, which requires a significant investiture of time and materials (including iron nails) but is capable of hauling vast quantities of goods.

Tying Equipment
Adds new options for cordage, including birch roots, root ropes, string for making clothes, and others.

Utility
Bags, sauna scoops, fishing rods, nets and kebab sticks for cooking.

Weapons
This mostly interacts with Metalworking to produce the weapons themselves once you have produced the appropriate metal head and wooden haft. Bone javelins can also be made here, slightly more powerful than the standard wooden ones.

Weaving
This contains all aspects of making cloth from plants, from retting the plants to sewing garments. You have the option of using either hemp or nettle, although significant quantities of either will be required. A loom is also necessary for most applications, and can be found here.

Njerpez Cookery Mod
The mod also contains Bedlam's "Njerpez Cookery Mod", which adds many new recipes to the "Cookery" glossary. You can find a full description here

New Building Types
In addition, the mod adds 4(four) new building types:
Road, made from 5 stones and 5 rocks.
Big Stone, made from 10 stones and 20 rocks, which allows you to emulate the walls which surround some Driik towns.
Tarp shelter, made using a leather tarp, it's much quicker to build and deconstruct than a standard shelter.
Punt shelter, made using a wooden punt for a roof with 4 wooden stakes to support it.

... that's a LOT of stuff to do.

I remember the Shaman mod being fun too, with powerful new weapons that required animal byproducts and special rare herbs/items to be crafted, and other crazy stuff but I think it was before the ritual / quests overhaul and I can't find it anymore, probably it wouldn't work well with the current version :(

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Not too sure I wanna go all mod crazy, at least not yet anyway. Not when I still sometimes have to grapple with certain items or processes. Like did you know that birch bark rope doesn't count as cord and so can't be used to make snares? Or that harvesting lake reeds doesn't put the cut reeds in your inventory, but instead drops them into the square you harvested them from. I figure that once I know most things and stop stumbling my fingers along certain key combos, I might look into mods.

Semi related to my cord discovery, is there an actual minimum length that an animal leash needs to be? Cause I notice my dog came with 15 feet of rope, and if I can get away with cutting some of that off... well I could use another 2 or 3 snares to bait with spoiled meat to try and catch some of those drat eagle-owls that hang around.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ShootaBoy posted:

Not too sure I wanna go all mod crazy, at least not yet anyway. Not when I still sometimes have to grapple with certain items or processes. Like did you know that birch bark rope doesn't count as cord and so can't be used to make snares? Or that harvesting lake reeds doesn't put the cut reeds in your inventory, but instead drops them into the square you harvested them from. I figure that once I know most things and stop stumbling my fingers along certain key combos, I might look into mods.

Semi related to my cord discovery, is there an actual minimum length that an animal leash needs to be? Cause I notice my dog came with 15 feet of rope, and if I can get away with cutting some of that off... well I could use another 2 or 3 snares to bait with spoiled meat to try and catch some of those drat eagle-owls that hang around.

Birch bark rope and cord/rope length are a new feature from the latest patch so I did not know, and have no idea how long a leash has to be :v: let us know if you try messing with that!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So I haven't actually experimented with that stuff with the leash :v But! I did spot an elk on the overworld on my way home from one of the villages. Ran home, dropped all my poo poo, grabbed the dog and some javelins, and I took off into the marsh. Couldn't see them on the overworld, but I zoomed in and managed to follow some tracks to them. End result of a bit of chasing an few tossed javelins, 220~ something pounds of elk. Seems the wiki is outdated when it comes to smoking math, because I certainly wasn't able to smoke 19 pieces of meat per cord. Unless it means "a full 15 feet" when it refers to one cord.

Actually, I can test that now, depending if I can use bark rope as a leash... Expect an edit soon!

edit: Learned several things. Birch bark rope does work as a leash for animals. You don't need a full 15 feet for a leash. And 10 feet of cord/rope will smoke 19 lbs worth of meat.

edit edit: Ok, so a full 15 feet of cord/rope will smoke 30 lbs of meat at once.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 3, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Been playing Singleplayer Ark lately. For some reason I just can't stop playing that awful game. Something about taming and riding animals appeals heavily to me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I really like the immersion of TLD's FPS format (only bested by Subnautica) but I wish I could do more in the game and it wasn't so limited by the developer's vision of what the survival mode should be and them focusing too much on the story mode.

I would probably also like if there were different goals/winning conditions you could go for, like in Rimworld, Subnautica or even regular dungeon-crawling roguelikes. "Survive until you can" has only so much appeal for me and usually I don't play these games for long (been the case for 7 Days to Die, Project Zomboid and TLD).

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 3, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there are challenges but they're basically "do this simple task before you get all your gear"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well, I lost my dog :( Was looking to make some winter clothes, and have more furs in general for cord and trading, so I grabbed my javelins and the leash and set out hunting. Was wandering around several kms south of my camp and past a village, when I suddenly ran into a njerp with a bow and a bastard sword.

I sicked my dog on him, then tossed a javelin and started running up. Dog knocked him down, but by the time I had closed in, he had slashed my dog up bad enough for him to crawl away in retreat. Stabbed at him with my javelin and then my knife when he made me drop it, but I hurt him bad enough to run him off. Went to put the leash around my dog and get him home for food and healing, but he died right after the leash went on :(

:rip: Aatu, you were the best dog I could have asked for, and god is winter gonna be a lot harder without you around, buddy :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
oof, that sucks. :( I hope that damned Njerp bleeds out in the woods, and that his bones are picked-clean and chewed by wolves

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi thread, I just got into the long dark but am stuck on day 3 of Wintermute. I collect wood, drink water all that jazz, but no matter how long I wait I don't complete the 'keep fire burning for 9 hours' objective. I die of starvation/injuries before it happens. A guy on steam said that I have to stock the fire so the timer says 9+ hours at one point instead of feeding it piecemeal, but that can't be right, can it?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

It is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is Stranded Deep worth getting yet, after 5 years?
Or is it still in a state where you can pretty much do everything after a few hours?
I really like the look of it and watch an LP of it occasionally.
It never seems to go on sale though.

Also, does it have storms yet? It was always a sunny day when I watched LPs of it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 7, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Got 7 Days to Die on Saturday and been playing the heck out of it even though I didn't really think I would enjoy it.

I can't find a thread on it, does one exist under some strange title that I'm not finding or is it just not popular enough to have a thread?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There's a thread here.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 7, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hub Cat posted:

There's a thread here.

Thanks. No idea why the forum search didn't find it!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If anyone was looking into rainforest survival game Green Hell, they recently released a long awaited co-op multiplayer mode.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

With the new update to TLD, I'm thinking of getting back into the game. #1 reason I haven't played it much is pretty much the same reasons I haven't touched Subnautica: I'm terrified of jump scares and the atmosphere of both games has you on edge always waiting for something to jump out at you. Is TLD like this? I used to love it up until I went into the dam and Fluffy jumped out at me. Put the game down after that and didn't touch it since.

I'm even considering just turning wolves off entirely, but feel that will remove a lot of fun from the game. I just really don't wanna be walking along in the dark and have a wolf jumpscare me from behind or something, by making the camera instantly pan to a big snarling face.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They removed fluffy so there really aren't any jump scares anymore. You can hear animals from very far away, especially bears and wolves. I believe there is a single remaining jumpscare in the game but it's in hushed river valley, a very end-game region that you don't even see in the campaign mode.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
/\/\I tried to play TLD today, but for some reason there was crunching snow noise when I was walking around in the opening scene inside the hanger.

OgNar posted:

Is Stranded Deep worth getting yet, after 5 years?
Or is it still in a state where you can pretty much do everything after a few hours?
I really like the look of it and watch an LP of it occasionally.
It never seems to go on sale though.

Also, does it have storms yet? It was always a sunny day when I watched LPs of it.

I think they added an optional giant squid fight or something?

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss

Qubee posted:

With the new update to TLD, I'm thinking of getting back into the game. #1 reason I haven't played it much is pretty much the same reasons I haven't touched Subnautica: I'm terrified of jump scares and the atmosphere of both games has you on edge always waiting for something to jump out at you. Is TLD like this? I used to love it up until I went into the dam and Fluffy jumped out at me. Put the game down after that and didn't touch it since.

I'm even considering just turning wolves off entirely, but feel that will remove a lot of fun from the game. I just really don't wanna be walking along in the dark and have a wolf jumpscare me from behind or something, by making the camera instantly pan to a big snarling face.
There are a couple custom settings you may want to look into:
- "wolf spawn distance" under wildlife spawns controls how near to you wolves are allowed to spawn - ie whether you can exit a building and get jumped. Set this to max
- "passive wildlife" under wildlife behavior - this makes wolves run away from you. This is included on the easiest setting, but with custom you can tweak it so you have a challenging survival experience without being stalked by killer wolves
- "wolf fear" under wildlife behavior - if the previous setting sounds too easy, try this one. It will make wolves more scared of flares/thrown rocks/wolfskin coat etc. but there is no guarantee they will leave you alone. You may still get jumped if they are quiet.

Spoiler for the last remaining jump scare: There is a wolf in the factory in bleak inlet, once you open the door be prepared.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Dreadwroth2 posted:

/\/\I tried to play TLD today, but for some reason there was crunching snow noise when I was walking around in the opening scene inside the hanger.

I also noticed this too but for some reason it's only in the hangar that it happens, it sounds like you're walking on very dry snow in there. Later you walk on asphalt and it doesn't sound like walking on snow.

I just finished the three chapters of story mode that are out now, I thought it had already been finished and wanted to keep playing so I was a bit let down but I enjoyed it a lot so I look forward to the next installment. I just hope they actually finish it.

That said, there were a few things I didn't like. The game has a lot of parts that are just a chore to complete, including inching slowly towards a target far off in the distance. The map is also confusing and I spent a lot of time going the wrong way and having to back-track. There is a lot of covering the same ground in the game and your character walks slowly. That adds to immersion but makes it feel like I'm wasting time (even more than usual). The sidequests are okay but it's discouraging how much you have to walk off the path to complete them and some of the rewards are items you have to spend days in-game to create, by which time I was long finished with most of the stuff in that chapter and ready to move on, by this time those items just aren't relevant anymore. There are some crafting options which I assume are useful in survival mode but they're really impractical to make use of in story mode. I picked the easiest difficulty which I regretted later as I was loaded with food, medicine and ammo at every turn and never died except many times to that drat bear.

I still enjoyed it a lot, the story is cool and the writing is okay, it's a little clicheed but at its best it's like a decent tv show. The deep ecology stuff or whatever you want to call it isn't really my jam but it sort of fits in this game.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Bringing this back up from the depths to thank you guys. If it weren't for this thread, I'd never have learned how to manage in URW, and I'd be the worse off for it.

Whatever happens to this place next, y'all are some excellent people.

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

ShootaBoy posted:

Bringing this back up from the depths to thank you guys. If it weren't for this thread, I'd never have learned how to manage in URW, and I'd be the worse off for it.

Whatever happens to this place next, y'all are some excellent people.

2ndin this

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
While things are still stable, let me mention that Green Hell also just got a multiplayer co-op option for the Story mode, as well as the freeplay mode. If anyone likes wilderness survival and rainforests, or if you enjoyed The Forest, you'll probably like this.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've been playing survivorman in Green Hell and having a blast. I went straight into the survival mode with all settings at normal aside from disabling the creepy tribes. Once I get the hang of things I'll start over with those in the mix but I know it's going to be horrifying. I've been going carb starved for like 9 days and just figured out that a good portion of the shrooms are edible, and even managed to cure my gut worms. I'm scared of wandering too far, but I'm slowly extending my familiar area around my camp. It's a pretty cool game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

I've been playing survivorman in Green Hell and having a blast. I went straight into the survival mode with all settings at normal aside from disabling the creepy tribes. Once I get the hang of things I'll start over with those in the mix but I know it's going to be horrifying. I've been going carb starved for like 9 days and just figured out that a good portion of the shrooms are edible, and even managed to cure my gut worms. I'm scared of wandering too far, but I'm slowly extending my familiar area around my camp. It's a pretty cool game.

Hmm, sounds interesting! Although out of curiosity, what's this about creepy tribes? Are they basically the Njerpez cannibals from URW, or something worse/weirder?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, sounds interesting! Although out of curiosity, what's this about creepy tribes? Are they basically the Njerpez cannibals from URW, or something worse/weirder?
They're pretty standard warriors in spooky body paint. The lore explains their origins but there's nothing Forest levels in there, thankfully.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I enjoyed Green Hell, it was pretty easy to run through Story Mode as a group going from landmark to landmark with occasional camping/hunting breaks. Macroelements are pretty undertuned so it's relatively easy to keep it all topped up once you understand what you are doing, animals are pretty easy to headshot with a spear or a bow and arrow, sanity gets harder with more people since once people start dying it becomes a snowball effect, so in our story runthrough we turned it off. Overall a pretty fun coop survival game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
As a counterpoint, I really enjoyed getting my head around Green Hell in singleplayer while starting on the hardest difficulty, and that was not easy at all. The game strikes a great balance in terms of priming you to figure out what's what and how to do things while still leaving you to do the work. It starts off feeling brutal and unfair, and then feels really rewarding once you get the hang of it and turn into a jungle prowling badass.

If that kind of thing is your bag, do yourself a big favor and don't read a wiki.