Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Pyrus Malus posted:

wait what. why in the hell did minecraft code have n-bombs in it

I know they stripped every reference to Notch, but I'm also unsurprised that they had to remove every reference to Lovecraft's cat as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Pyrus Malus posted:

Without knowing anything about this particular situation, a combination of edgy programmers putting swearwords in comments, and some Europeans both finding nwords fascinating and not understanding the level of offensiveness it reaches.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

MunchE posted:

Not too get too spergy here but the important thing to note is that LEO just means the Satellite portion is adding LESS latency. Like, they're going to have a handful of regional ground hubs where the data goes. As few as possible to keep things cheap. That means your latency is: Time to Sat -> Time from Sat down to earth -> Data center into their uplink -> the rest of the way to the internet, which is where a terrestrial connection STARTED.

With the added bonus that your ground hub could potentially be somewhere far, far away from you. Maybe they decide to just build one ground hub in Nebraska so that means a person in Boston connecting to New York has the latency of the connection traveling back and forth to Nebraska as well as back and forth to space before it gets to them.

Starlink will be slower, more expensive and higher latency than almost any ground based alternative and frankly by the time it's actually launched you'll probably be able to get better/cheaper service through 5G. gently caress, I'd be surprised if it ends up better than LTE.

The faint praise I'll give to the idea of Starlink is that the concept of using LEOs over GEOs (which I believe most satellite ISPs use?) is a dramatic decrease in latency if you, for some reason, want to keep using satellite internet as a benchmark instead of investing in 5G or some other more reasonable, earth-bound alternative.

I'm not qualified to speak to how badly Musk is loving up the engineering of his specific solution, though I suspect the entire idea is only afloat because enough people are enraptured with the idea of spaaaaaace. Satellite internet sucks, and making a better version of something that sucks at the cost of earth-based astronomy seems like a really lovely deal.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

d3lness posted:

I know they stripped every reference to Notch, but I'm also unsurprised that they had to remove every reference to Lovecraft's cat as well.

I am really hoping the nbomb in question is just notch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A Man With A Plan posted:

Without knowing anything about this particular situation, a combination of edgy programmers putting swearwords in comments, and some Europeans both finding nwords fascinating and not understanding the level of offensiveness it reaches.

Let me tell you about all the Taylor swift lyrics I put in debug prints throughout my career when I was too lazy to use a debugger and never ended up removing

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

gschmidl posted:

I am really hoping the nbomb in question is just notch.

From what I remembered it is "notch" but i could be wrong based on the fact that he's very much a shitbird

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Spaced God posted:

From what I remembered it is "notch" but i could be wrong based on the fact that he's very much a shitbird

“Notch” was completely removed from the game. Not the source code (well OK maybe that too), but in all of the player-facing elements of the game. It’s not even in the credits, where “Markus Persson” is credited as the creator.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Conskill posted:

though I suspect the entire idea is only afloat because enough people are enraptured with the idea of spaaaaaace.

Also, afaik, as busywork for his rockets. Turns out the demand for space launch services is not infinite.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Xakura posted:

Well, he called Marx a capitalist, so he has definitely read the cover.

haha

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/883484722885607424

Notch donates 10k to charity, the crowd doesn't love it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

bandaid.friend posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/883484722885607424

Notch donates 10k to charity, the crowd doesn't love it

I'm pretty sure that he also donated some large sum back when Minecraft was already big, but before Microsoft bought Mojang. And because he hadn't outed himself as an all-around shithead yet, people kept cheering after they heard who made the donation.

I think he even made 2 big donations because he made a typo in the first one and then corrected himself in the second donation or something.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The best part about notch is that he's terrible at making games. He made Minecraft but other people improved on it. I remember him saying that some lighting thing wasn't possible, and then someone else hacked it into the game a few days later. Then he wanted to make some space game that would have its own scripting language for the in-game computer. Then people went nuts making emulators of the in-game computer and other people started making cool programs with the language. Then notch gave up on the game entirely because he couldn't hack it.

he spent something like two-thirds of Minecraft’s development “on vacation” and immediately stopped working on it once he founded Mojang and had a team that could work on it instead, and most of the content in the game hasn’t been made by him. the vast majority of Minecraft’s lifespan has been spent trying to push people to a new client for the game made from scratch because of how limited they are by this flightless manchild’s decision to make a video game in loving Java

he also married a woman who hated him in high school and hadn’t talked to him since, by his own admission, and then was stunned when they divorced like six months later

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pirate Jet posted:

he spent something like two-thirds of Minecraft’s development “on vacation” and immediately stopped working on it once he founded Mojang and had a team that could work on it instead, and most of the content in the game hasn’t been made by him. the vast majority of Minecraft’s lifespan has been spent trying to push people to a new client for the game made from scratch because of how limited they are by this flightless manchild’s decision to make a video game in loving Java

he also married a woman who hated him in high school and hadn’t talked to him since, by his own admission, and then was stunned when they divorced like six months later

now Notch is a shithead sure, but are you really gonna go with the "he didn't work on the game enough" in an industry dominated by crunch? Alpha/Beta buyers of Minecraft were loving entitled babies

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ymgve posted:

now Notch is a shithead sure, but are you really gonna go with the "he didn't work on the game enough" in an industry dominated by crunch? Alpha/Beta buyers of Minecraft were loving entitled babies

he hired other people to do the work while he reaped the rewards of said work, is the point

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think there’s decent wiggle room between “workers are exploited and pushed past their physical and mental limits for wages that still aren’t livable” and “you work five days a month and still make more money than God”

we haven’t even touched the fact that his game is such a copy of Infiniminer his entire career is based off of the sheer luck that nobody pressed charges

Pirate Jet has issued a correction as of 14:07 on May 20, 2020

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pyrus Malus posted:

same reason the forums have slurs embedded in them that cause weird problems when removed

"bad dev thought it was funny"

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Conskill posted:

The faint praise I'll give to the idea of Starlink is that the concept of using LEOs over GEOs (which I believe most satellite ISPs use?) is a dramatic decrease in latency if you, for some reason, want to keep using satellite internet as a benchmark instead of investing in 5G or some other more reasonable, earth-bound alternative.

I'm not qualified to speak to how badly Musk is loving up the engineering of his specific solution, though I suspect the entire idea is only afloat because enough people are enraptured with the idea of spaaaaaace. Satellite internet sucks, and making a better version of something that sucks at the cost of earth-based astronomy seems like a really lovely deal.

Yeah tbf when the idea first came up I was very interested then I started seeing the tech details coming out and realized how limited and expensive it'll be.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

The issue is that he didn't contribute much more than the original alpha version and screwed over his coworkers who made it into the massive seller over the years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Notch is the ultimate proof that wealth distribution might as well be decided by dice rolls and nobody could tell the difference.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The issue is that he didn't contribute much more than the original alpha version and screwed over his coworkers who made it into the massive seller over the years

I'm talking about the original alpha versions, before he started hiring lots of people. People made poo poo like this to "prove" he spent too much time on vacation:

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

I'm talking about the original alpha versions, before he started hiring lots of people. People made poo poo like this to "prove" he spent too much time on vacation:

Oh, well, yeah that's obvious insanity. But I don't think anyone here is saying notch sucks cause he didn't push out alpha updates fast enough

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

im depressed lol posted:

Is Elon Musk still a bad man?

yes op

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

if I'm being honest I enjoyed the early janky piece of poo poo minecraft more than the new polished version and I'm not sure if that was just novelty or what

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Conskill posted:

LEOs might be good if they were designing Starlink to serve the same function as standard satellite internet (remote access where terrestrial internet is infeasible), but even then you run into the issue that you need orders of magnitude more satellites than geostationary orbits to effectively cover the Earth and routing solutions between each at all times. What gets me about is that it could be something useful if he wasn't a dumbass. There are definitely plenty of cities where ISPs like Comcast or Cox or whatever artificially limit bandwidth and Starlink could actually provide a service there if it was rolled out appropriately and in stages, though it'd still have the difficulty of the last mile.

They could build a ground-station linked to dedicated tight-beam microwave substations that then communicate to end-user locations to get over the hurdle of having to rely on other ISPs copper or fiber. It would have issues with microwave line-of-site to the end-users, but those can be worked around. This would also fit into the whole advanced communication motif they're trying to build. I don't know how they were actually planning to handle the last mile connections, or if they even had a plan yet.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 17:13 on May 20, 2020

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Admiral Ray posted:

LEOs might be good if they were designing Starlink to serve the same function as standard satellite internet (remote access where terrestrial internet is infeasible), but even then you run into the issue that you need orders of magnitude more satellites than geostationary orbits to effectively cover the Earth and routing solutions between each at all times. What gets me about is that it could be something useful if he wasn't a dumbass. There are definitely plenty of cities where ISPs like Comcast or Cox or whatever artificially limit bandwidth and Starlink could actually provide a service there if it was rolled out appropriately and in stages, though it'd still have the difficulty of the last mile.

They could build a ground-station linked to dedicated tight-beam microwave substations that then communicate to end-user locations to get over the hurdle of having to rely on other ISPs copper or fiber. It would have issues with line-of-site on the microwave communications, but those can be worked around. This would also fit into the whole advanced communication motif they're trying to build. I don't know how they were actually planning to handle the last mile connections, or if they even had a plan yet.

Their plan for the million LEO sats and need for LOS of base stations was to include lasers and do optical mesh networking to route packets in space. They'd look at your destination and then route it from satellite to satellite to the base station closest the destination. If this was actually feasible, and it's not really, you could have decent latency between places you can't get that latency now. The musk diehards envisioned London->NYSE links worth trillions where a few big finance firms are subsidizing the rest of StarLink so billionaires could front run orders (or whatever)

This of course makes a billion assumptions which could make this go wrong, but of course Musk and Co fail in the most basic of ways. Which is that they couldn't' figure out how to get the laser or some piece of it to properly burn up in the atmosphere as these things de-orbit so they had to leave them off. They still aren't on all of the sates they have launched so far and have stopped talking about it entirely.

pigz has issued a correction as of 17:27 on May 20, 2020

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Isn't the last-mile the satellite part? Anyway his plan of worldwide internet access would involve creating millions of expensive satellite modems and distribution of them. Kinda don't think his plan to provide rural African villages with internet this way is gonna work...

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Musk is building the tools to build the pipelines to develop the technology to implement mesh networking in space

Those satellites are alpha, you just don't understand space development

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

tak posted:

Musk is building the tools to build the pipelines to develop the technology to implement mesh networking in space

Those satellites are alpha, you just don't understand space development

starlink citizen

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Thoguh posted:

Yeah but it'll have the added bonus of loving up the night sky with a bunch of (relatively) bright lights that block out the stars and milky way and it's not like there is any value people place in being able to look up and see the sky at night.

Does it actually change brightness significantly for eye observations? I know it's gonna gently caress up lots of astronomical observations, but for the everyman dude that looks at the sky, I assume it's going to be mostly the same, just with more moving "stars"?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

1. put satellites in low orbit
2. ????
3. profit!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Isn't the last-mile the satellite part? Anyway his plan of worldwide internet access would involve creating millions of expensive satellite modems and distribution of them. Kinda don't think his plan to provide rural African villages with internet this way is gonna work...

Yes, my understanding is they're using the LEO satellites for last mile, it'll bounce back down to a ground hub like how satellite internet works now, and then it routes over the normal terrestrial internet from there.

And yes apparently these remote villages will buy a STARLINK branded huge receiver, mount it on their roof and pay $200/mo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
gently caress the stars I scream as this world dies quickly

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

MunchE posted:

Yes, my understanding is they're using the LEO satellites for last mile, it'll bounce back down to a ground hub like how satellite internet works now, and then it routes over the normal terrestrial internet from there.

And yes apparently these remote villages will buy a STARLINK branded huge receiver, mount it on their roof and pay $200/mo

pigz posted:

Their plan for the million LEO sats and need for LOS of base stations was to include lasers and do optical mesh networking to route packets in space. They'd look at your destination and then route it from satellite to satellite to the base station closest the destination. If this was actually feasible, and it's not really, you could have decent latency between places you can't get that latency now. The musk diehards envisioned London->NYSE links worth trillions where a few big finance firms are subsidizing the rest of StarLink so billionaires could front run orders (or whatever)

This of course makes a billion assumptions which could make this go wrong, but of course Musk and Co fail in the most basic of ways. Which is that they couldn't' figure out how to get the laser or some piece of it to properly burn up in the atmosphere as these things de-orbit so they had to leave them off. They still aren't on all of the sates they have launched so far and have stopped talking about it entirely.

Like, lasers from the end-user's house to the satellites? Oh my god that's even dumber than I thought. I just thought they were gonna piggy-back on existing lines to link the ground stations to homes/businesses.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Shugojin posted:

same reason the forums have slurs embedded in them that cause weird problems when removed

"bad dev thought it was funny"

the forums having load bearing slurs is funny, but not in the way intended

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Admiral Ray posted:

Like, lasers from the end-user's house to the satellites? Oh my god that's even dumber than I thought. I just thought they were gonna piggy-back on existing lines to link the ground stations to homes/businesses.

No your house goes to the sat. A pizza size box sits on the outside of your house, or RV or whatever:

Usually once your packets get to the satellite from your house a normal sat service would then send your packets to a LOCAL ground station within line of sight (LOS) and then have your packets continue like normal.

SpaceX instead planned for the sat receiving packets from your house to find a ground station close to your destination and a route to it using other startlink sats. This would be done using LOS and lasers to do optical communication between sats. The software doesn't really exist for this of course and would be pretty hard to keep working for a number of reasons. Which isn't really a problem considering none of the sats even have the lasers.

The consequences for this of course is since you don't have lasers, and you can't route around when you don't have LOS to a Ground Station means you pretty much can't serve any rural areas as there is unlikely to be enough demand to make it profitable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Admiral Ray posted:

nah, RF to the satellites using a very expensive (and to my knowledge nonexistent) phased array antenna to track the rapidly moving LEO satellites.

the laser poo poo is supposedly going to be between the satellites themselves and allow some sort of magic with regard to routing packets to the base station nearest the endpoint. none of the current satellites have the hardware necessary for this and there's no realistic way known to coordinate a mesh network of that size changing positions at the rate the satellite constellation will change, but if you loving Love Science hard enough that doesn't matter.

Shifty Pony has issued a correction as of 18:52 on May 20, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

as far as I get it, the usual satellite setup is that it replaces the local loop - you don't have a cable going to the main internet infrastructure, you bounce signals off a satellite instead and the ground station at the other end is connected to the physical network

the musk plan is to have the whole routing network in space

you could be cynical and say hey wait a minute, wouldn't you prove you can actually even do this before putting all the satellites in orbit and fixing it in post, is this just an excuse for giving your space rockets something to do? and I would say how dare you this man is saving the planet

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
space is infinitely big so it doesn't really matter if you shoot hundreds of useless pieces of metal into it, right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

what if bezos sends a giant space nuke to knock mars out of the solar system so elon can't have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

pigz posted:

No your house goes to the sat. A pizza size box sits on the outside of your house, or RV or whatever:

Usually once your packets get to the satellite from your house a normal sat service would then send your packets to a LOCAL ground station within line of sight (LOS) and then have your packets continue like normal.

SpaceX instead planned for the sat receiving packets from your house to find a ground station close to your destination and a route to it using other startlink sats. This would be done using LOS and lasers to do optical communication between sats. The software doesn't really exist for this of course and would be pretty hard to keep working for a number of reasons. Which isn't really a problem considering none of the sats even have the lasers.

The consequences for this of course is since you don't have lasers, and you can't route around when you don't have LOS to a Ground Station means you pretty much can't serve any rural areas as there is unlikely to be enough demand to make it profitable.

Shifty Pony posted:

nah, RF to the satellites using a very expensive (and to my knowledge nonexistent) phased array antenna to track the rapidly moving LEO satellites.

the laser poo poo is supposedly going to be between the satellites themselves and allow some sort of magic with regard to routing packets to the base station nearest the endpoint. none of the current satellites have the hardware necessary for this and there's no realistic way known to coordinate a mesh network of that size changing positions at the rate the satellite constellation will change, but if you loving Love Science hard enough that doesn't matter.

Ah, ty both of you. I knew the mesh networking to achieve whatever he said didn't work, but I never actually bothered to check the actual hardware because that had to be real, right? lol no