Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also have them set up some sort of log management / SIEM. That way they can see in aggregate. May allow them more context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah Microsoft can't figure out what the hell it's doing with itself. Now I'm more awake and I realize that nobody gives a poo poo. I remember job searching 6 years ago for a ConfigMgr job and I'd put all sorts of permutations (SCCM, ConfigMgr, Configuration Manager) into my search queries. So my real awake advice is make sure you've got multiple names in there at least once so that people can find it. Then again if someone is dumb enough to not search SCCM on a job site even now and they missed your job I'd say that might be a win.

Another serious thought I had, and I promise this isn't weird and petty like the last one. Even though it's got Configuration Manager in the name, it's not a "Configuration Management" tool the way the term is meant in some circles. Tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible are "Configuration Management" tools. I'd say someone who knows ConfigMgr will understand what you're asking for, but you might get some applicants that look odd to you with a big focus on unix management with Chef or Puppet on their resume who misunderstood what you're asking for.

Sorry for never responding to this, I got real in the weeds, and became a interim director and the world went to poo poo. Thank you for the info, and I completely agree. As being in change management, our state overseers call it config management and its a poo poo show when I try and talk to people. My SCCM person is pretty rad, and he is doing great so hell yea there. Things got all screwy and now Im grabbing a VMWare / OS generalist as that was my main focus and now directoring. I know what I need for that one. But thanks again!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

edit: wrong thread

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 16, 2020

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Well I had a feeling it was coming but our company just got acquired by a massive software conglomerate that acquired our competitor last year. Time for me to :yotj: - I know that SAMart run resume service got sold and I have heard it's not as good. Anyone have a recommendation for a similar service or should I just trust my resume skills all by myself?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is O365 Skype for Business hosed for new accounts? Had two brand new accounts just throw their hands up and say "Skype can't login!" with little to no reason. The rest of the Office suite works just fine. Thank goodness we have 5 other means of communication

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Well I had a feeling it was coming but our company just got acquired by a massive software conglomerate that acquired our competitor last year. Time for me to :yotj: - I know that SAMart run resume service got sold and I have heard it's not as good. Anyone have a recommendation for a similar service or should I just trust my resume skills all by myself?

There's a good thread in BFC that will help you out:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cage-free egghead posted:

Is O365 Skype for Business hosed for new accounts? Had two brand new accounts just throw their hands up and say "Skype can't login!" with little to no reason. The rest of the Office suite works just fine. Thank goodness we have 5 other means of communication

Is your Tenant using Modern Auth? about a week ago they screwed the pooch with this multiple authentication problem and I had to implement a GPO to force basic auth so users could access outlook and skype. I believe they have since fixed it but who the gently caress actually knows...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I dunno this thread was pretty good when I just up dumped it here. You could also post it in the [url= SA IT slack group

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anybody use Mitel Cloud? Opinions?

We have their on-prem right now (converted from Shoretel) and it is bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've yet to see any legacy on-prem PBX provider make the move to cloud successfully - I don't think it's a lack of engineering skill and more to do with product managers having a pissing match because they all seem to position their cloud offering as something to get started with and then when you want a serious big boy phone system you get to spend :10bux::10bux::10bux: and move it all back into your data centres.

Companies that only offer :yaycloud: phone systems seem to be a shitload better at it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is there a Cloud based phone service other than Ring Central you would suggest for a 4 person financial office? I don't have a problem with them, just curious what other similar options there are.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Is there a Cloud based phone service other than Ring Central you would suggest for a 4 person financial office? I don't have a problem with them, just curious what other similar options there are.

If you already have O365, Teams Phone System is a solid choice

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s how we roll for the Corp office, Teams telephony. No complaints here but of course I don’t have to manage it. Field people get cell phones and anyone in a call queue uses cloud contact center software.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Cool opinion I heard today:

Hiring right now is a bad idea because the pool of candidates is currently tainted by the influx of people who got laid off. Those who were laid off were the ones that other organizations decided were the least productive and could do without

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Hiring right now is a bad idea because the pool of candidates is currently tainted by the influx of people who got laid off. Those who were laid off were the ones that other organizations decided were the least productive and could do without

I want to punt people with those opinions into the loving sun.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bonzo posted:

Google have a phone service, and Teams as mentioned. If you use Office 365 already then Teams might as well be what you go with.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

Seems legit, there are literally no reasons outside of an employee's control that would lead to them being out of work, and anyone out of work certainly deserves it. I hope this person has a position of authority and is able to implement his/her forward-thinking.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bonzo posted:

We use 8x8 and a lot of our customers do, most of them are small offices between 3-30 people and they all seem pretty happy with it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Methanar posted:

This, but like literally the exact opposite. If you have a stable org that is decent at identifying good candidates and can afford to hire for the long term then you should hoover up all the good talent right now. Even if the "least productive" thing was remotely accurate, which it's likely mostly not give the extreme situation we're in, nobody is forcing you to hire recently laid off people. There are now plenty of people who were happy to stay at their stable job or who were looking for a big raise who'd be happy to jump ship for a more stable position or improved working environment.

If someone told me this I would file them away in my brain in the same category as if someone told that we couldn't be certain the earth was round.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 20, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

who were looking for a big raise who'd be happy to jump ship for a more stable position or improved working environment.

Yeah but that conflicts with our mission statement of "Take all the loot and skedaddle". So we can't offer better wages or stability.

And we here at the company feel a hos-...dynamic working environment is more entertaining for our senior management, as they get to push you around.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This, but like literally the exact opposite. If you have a stable org that is decent at identifying good candidates and can afford to hire for the long term then you should hoover up all the good talent right now. Even if the "least productive" thing was remotely accurate, which it's likely mostly not give the extreme situation we're in, nobody is forcing you to hire recently laid off people. There are now plenty of people who were happy to stay at their stable job or who were looking for a big raise who'd be happy to jump ship for a more stable position or improved working environment.

If someone told me this I would file them away in my brain in the same category as if someone told that we couldn't be certain the earth was round.

yeah they're on drugs and need to share.

i have exactly one critical position i'm still allowed to try to fill and my candidates went from "well if you squint at his resume helpdesk/NOC is almost the same a automation network engineering experience. can't hurt to interview, maybe he's driven and could be trained up. god we need a person so bad" to a stack of resumes of eminently qualified people. we'd been recruiting for like two months (it's for a plant out in the sticks where no one wants to live) with no luck and after reopening it for resumes i expect it'll be filled in a week with some guy commuting from Charlotte.

also lmao at the idea that companies are even good at cutting dead weight in layoffs. they are good at cutting whoever got on management's poo poo list for some perceived slight or personality conflict in my experience.

Also cutting people near retirement ofc

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 20, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've got a customer that wants to use their wall mounted TV to view security cameras, I have no clue how the camera program/system operates, it was put in place without my knowledge, but it seems from the limited info customer gave me they just navigate to a URL, login and bam.

He wants to avoid cables, the TV is a newer smart TV with bluetooth etc but the workstation he uses doesn't have built-in bluetooth.

I think the best way to do this would be to buy a bluetooth dongle and chromecast, then cast the webpage or just use it as a second monitor depending on how the viewing is actually done. Other option would be to use an older workstation but I doubt they have any I could mount/hide where the TV is.

Anyone have any other ideas?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Methanar posted:

That means that now is the best time to apply because gently caress working for those assholes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I've got a customer that wants to use their wall mounted TV to view security cameras, I have no clue how the camera program/system operates, it was put in place without my knowledge, but it seems from the limited info customer gave me they just navigate to a URL, login and bam.

He wants to avoid cables, the TV is a newer smart TV with bluetooth etc but the workstation he uses doesn't have built-in bluetooth.

I think the best way to do this would be to buy a bluetooth dongle and chromecast, then cast the webpage or just use it as a second monitor depending on how the viewing is actually done. Other option would be to use an older workstation but I doubt they have any I could mount/hide where the TV is.

Intel Compute Stick, not the Atom version. Pair it up with a wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad thing and install the viewer software on it, maybe tweak it to auto run on boot etc.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MF_James posted:

Some security camera systems have support for DLNA. It can be worth checking to see if it does, then it's just a matter of enabling it and searching for the broadcast source on the TV.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Intel Compute Stick, not the Atom version. Pair it up with a wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad thing and install the viewer software on it, maybe tweak it to auto run on boot etc.

This is going to be the way to go here. Don’t use a chromecast if you can avoid it. You can easily configure the intel stick to auto-start a specific chrome website on boot.

Patch management will be a thing if this is on a public network though. running and maintaining a full OS is unsustainable if this is a bigger shop with more than a handful of TVs like this.

AMA about configuring a few hundred of these in my first IT job for digital signage. Stayed up till midnight formatting the drat things once and had my second shittiest manager ever bitch me out for not staying longer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: those things are clearly not designed to run 24×7, hundreds though?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woohoo, new positions just got approved to double my team size. I'll have more time to shitpost, finally.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Woohoo, new positions just got approved to double my team size. I'll have more time to shitpost, finally.

Sponsor me to move up North please :angel:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

Sponsor me to move East please :angel:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MrMoo posted:

:lol: those things are clearly not designed to run 24×7, hundreds though?

About 200 or them yeah. We used them for years and they held up well.. We shut them off at night though which did wonders for the lifespan and horrors for our windows patches. We got them for $99 a pop and treated them as disposable.

for 24/7 digital signage we used iPads which we bolted to the wall to display the meeting room name: a single static image with no other features.

We were also a Big Pharma ad agency and had approximately infinite money.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of cameras, apparently the security cameras and networked DVRs are using as much of the network as all other traffic. If you have to spec out a deployment, watch the bandwidth consumption.

The Iron Rose posted:

for 24/7 digital signage we used iPads which we bolted to the wall to display the meeting room name: a single static image with no other features.

Mind the ventilation on the iPads. We had a bunch in nice kiosks outside meeting rooms. After a year about 12% had bulging batteries from running hot 24/7.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Mind the ventilation on the iPads. We had a bunch in nice kiosks outside meeting rooms. After a year about 12% had bulging batteries from running hot 24/7.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of cameras, apparently the security cameras and networked DVRs are using as much of the network as all other traffic. If you have to spec out a deployment, watch the bandwidth consumption.

I don’t know what it is with DVR systems, but for sending video quality that looks like poo poo, it sure sucks up bandwidth. If someone views cameras at another site, it can easily take 9mbps out of a 10mbps link. Meanwhile two video conference units can talk at 1080p for around 2.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I remember reading that in this very thread at the time! It’s cool though, two jobs ago and so not my problem anymore.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Anyone at Facebook nyc can give me deets on how it is? I’ll be in the sre job. The other options are Seattle and Palo Alto which I’m not a fan of.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Anyone at Facebook nyc can give me deets on how it is? I’ll be in the sre job. The other options are Seattle and Palo Alto which I’m not a fan of.
Definitely not Seattle. It rains all the time here. It's raining right now. You would hate it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Thanatosian posted:

Definitely not Seattle. It rains all the time here. It's raining right now. You would hate it.

Legal weed though? Plus I can drive to clam downs and egg his house.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Legal weed though? Plus I can drive to clam downs and egg his house.
Not right now you can't; border's closed. Also, you'd have to pay all the Canadian taxes on eggs because they won't let you through with agricultural products, you'd just be subsidizing his lifestyle.

California has legal weed, too. And good weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Speaking of phone systems, we're about to deploy 3CX to replace a garbage Toshiba system for 150 users. Using that sweet stimulus money!

They school I left in March went on partial furlough today until July, it really sucks for an already-lean staff to be reduced to 16 hours a week during peak project time.