Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Awesome! posted:

we are 8+ years into development of this "game" and the launcher doesnt even check your hdd space when it wants to update. that is absolutely incredible

I'm always interested in the gaps in different launchers - it gives you a good window into the development chops of the studio. I'd consider Blizzard's BattleNet launcher to be the high water mark - everything is updated on the fly, you can play with partial downloads while it does more in the background, repairs are fluid and rarely needed, and it doesn't require assemblies. Ubisoft has the problem where if the game or launcher is missing an assembly it just crashes without an error message and you have to figure out which C++ version you're missing. Zenimax has the same problem Ubisoft does, and it doesn't uninstall properly. Steam isn't too bad but if it does gently caress up you're SOL. Epic is loving hideous, you can't even move your game to another drive and have the launcher repoint to it - it's a fresh download.

Whatever the gently caress CIG has made is leagues behind even the worst of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

monkeytek posted:

Please prove to me it is the most complex game ever conceived or built? Right now I see an incomplete single solar system, barebones game loops, horrible AI, poo poo tier Net Code.

That’s the thing, it has promised to be the most complex game ever, so in their broken minds that promise of what it could be given infinite time and money always trumps any released game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dementropy posted:

:reddit::

What isn't really considered in this discussion, but is without argument the key factor, is how the scope of Star Citizen should reasonably impact the development timeline.

Here are a few facts:

1. Star Citizen is the most complex video game ever conceived. Nothing comes remotely close.
2. Unlike all the other games you mentioned, which were undoubtedly forced to be released before the devs would have liked for that almighty return on investment, Star Citizen is the first large-scale game to be unfettered from condensing, truncating and otherwise shirking features. The customers have spoken, and the resounding message is: make the game you have in your vision, take what time it takes.
3. Much in the same way Star Citizen has demolished every other game crowd sourcing (actually, every other crowd sourcing of ANY kind), it stands to reason that Star Citizen MUST also eclipse the development cycles of other titles. There really is no fair comparison. Yet, nay sayers will try to compare it. It's a skewed, apples v. oranges comparison.
4. For example, let's take a look at TF2. It took 9 years. Considering how ridiculously simplistic it is at its core, considering the limited art assets, etc., you would need to at least quadruple it, for a same-to-same comparison, for Star Citizen. So, 36 years? Just to be a fair comparison.

Yeah, what isn't being acknowledged is the actual break-neck speed of progress that we are seeing from the CIG development team. Not only are they doing the most ridiculously complex things ever done in a PC game and stitching it all together seamlessly, they happen to be doing it in a way that every other game developer should sit up and take notice of. It's this rapid pace of progress that makes them more akin to NASA getting us to the moon than Blizzard getting D4 out the door.

But confirmation bias is strong in the naysayer community, and they will disregard these facts, clear as crystal, because it challenges their belief that somehow, CIG is taking longer than they should. Interestingly, the first complaints that the game was taking too long came in 2012. They ring just as hollow today as they did back then.

Supplemental:

Yeah I think it is a classical example of what's going on with these FUDsters and the faulty opinions, outright lies and dishonesty they regurgitate in this video to keep their echo chamber going are happening constantly where these people congregate.

The echo chambering is an exact parallel to flat earthers, anti vaxxers and other conspiracy theorists, something that can't be said for the backers, because, you know, they're in the persistent universe every day and they're seeing the features in the game as they get published.

Star Citizen: 36 years just to be a fair comparison

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
From the leaks discord

:words: It's looking like the landing on planets part of the fleet week fleet stuff was cut to not gently caress up in A18

Simple, routed NPC pathing doesn't work :negative:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
star citizen will hit $80 to $100m in funding this year if the tracker's reporting holds steady at the current trend

double any previous year btw

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

star citizen will hit $80 to $100m in funding this year if the tracker's reporting holds steady at the current trend

Well, they are delivering at twice the speed thanks to staggered development!

They deserve it

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

Lol sounds totally legit to me. Of course it would be their best funding year by far with a global health and economic crisis, no appreciable progress on the game, rock bottom backer confidence, and no new big whale ships for sale.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

communism bitch posted:

When I was a kid I naively bought a copy of Battlecruiser 3000AD, not having heard in advance that it just didn't work at all. I never once got it to run, but it almost didn't matter because it came with this telephone directory sized manual full of in-universe style descriptions of the world and technology and ships and so on. I got far more joy out of my imagination + that book than I suspect I could have ever got out of that jank rear end game, just imagining myself as a swashbuckling spaceship captain exploring the galaxy and sending out boarding parties and becoming the hero of great space battles.

That was fine I guess because I was a lonely 14 year old or whatever, and the game cost £5 out of the second-hand bin at Electronic Boutique. Nowadays Star Citizens are doing the same thing but they're all 45 and they cashed in their 401K and their kids' college funds to get the same experience lol

Those were the days.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: Got a response from CIG about ship sales during fleet week. Confirmed? (I asked for a cat ccu)

:shepspends: I would absolutely be in the market for a Cat, if I didn't already own a Carrack. Yes, there's more cargo space, but I feel like the Carrack is enough for me and I'd rather put that money toward something more interesting. As of right now, my DUR is ready for a CCU and I'm ready to get rid of her.

Record year for CIG :toot:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Remind me of the actual number of backers that voted for ‘increased scope’ or whatever their buzzword was? It ended up at something like 7%-ish, and it’s still touted as unequivocal fact that 100% of all past present and future pledges signed up for development staggered over geological time periods.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

From the leaks discord

:words: It's looking like the landing on planets part of the fleet week fleet stuff was cut to not gently caress up in A18

Simple, routed NPC pathing doesn't work :negative:

This cant be right, right? No landing at all on planets does not seem like a gently caress up even CIG would dare to go into.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

colonelwest posted:

Lol sounds totally legit to me. Of course it would be their best funding year by far with a global health and economic crisis, no appreciable progress on the game, rock bottom backer confidence, and no new big whale ships for sale.

Yeah but the pipelines are in place, especially since the copper ones were replaced.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheAgent posted:

*cough cough*

Lots of Russki деньги sloshing around the world's money systems right now

quote:

Maybe the money didn't belong to Boiko: the FBI believes the Russian was an intermediary in chains used in the legalisation of money stolen from banks all around the world.

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 20, 2020

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I think the best comedy gold endgame scenario is the feds seizing all their assets and passports and putting all the execs on trial for fraud and money laundering.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If SC dies not because of sizzling out or crashing financially, but because FBI freezes their accounts for money muling, I will be amused beyond comprehension.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

If SC dies not because of sizzling out or crashing financially, but because FBI freezes their accounts for money muling, I will be amused beyond comprehension.

I can't even begin to imagine how the faithful will take that

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
It's such an out of the blue end to the Star Citizen saga that I think the only thing that could beat it would be if Chris used all that money to build a real spaceship and returned to his home planet of Scamulon 4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dementropy posted:

What isn't really considered in this discussion, but is without argument the key factor, is how the scope of Star Citizen should reasonably impact the development timeline.

Here are a few facts:

1. Star Citizen is the most complex video game ever conceived. Nothing comes remotely close.
2. Unlike all the other games you mentioned, which were undoubtedly forced to be released before the devs would have liked for that almighty return on investment, Star Citizen is the first large-scale game to be unfettered from condensing, truncating and otherwise shirking features. The customers have spoken, and the resounding message is: make the game you have in your vision, take what time it takes.
3. Much in the same way Star Citizen has demolished every other game crowd sourcing (actually, every other crowd sourcing of ANY kind), it stands to reason that Star Citizen MUST also eclipse the development cycles of other titles. There really is no fair comparison. Yet, nay sayers will try to compare it. It's a skewed, apples v. oranges comparison.
4. For example, let's take a look at TF2. It took 9 years. Considering how ridiculously simplistic it is at its core, considering the limited art assets, etc., you would need to at least quadruple it, for a same-to-same comparison, for Star Citizen. So, 36 years? Just to be a fair comparison.

Yeah, what isn't being acknowledged is the actual break-neck speed of progress that we are seeing from the CIG development team. Not only are they doing the most ridiculously complex things ever done in a PC game and stitching it all together seamlessly, they happen to be doing it in a way that every other game developer should sit up and take notice of. It's this rapid pace of progress that makes them more akin to NASA getting us to the moon than Blizzard getting D4 out the door.

But confirmation bias is strong in the naysayer community, and they will disregard these facts, clear as crystal, because it challenges their belief that somehow, CIG is taking longer than they should. Interestingly, the first complaints that the game was taking too long came in 2012. They ring just as hollow today as they did back then.

Supplemental:

Yeah I think it is a classical example of what's going on with these FUDsters and the faulty opinions, outright lies and dishonesty they regurgitate in this video to keep their echo chamber going are happening constantly where these people congregate.

The echo chambering is an exact parallel to flat earthers, anti vaxxers and other conspiracy theorists, something that can't be said for the backers, because, you know, they're in the persistent universe every day and they're seeing the features in the game as they get published.

1. Source?
2. How has that been working out so far *cough* docking collars *cough*
3. I was told more money meant faster development :confused:
4. Hmmmmmm I wonder why it took so long (beyond Valve famously operating on "Valve Time"

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Xakura posted:

They’d claim that the FBI was bribed by big game publishers to destroy Chris’ transcendent vision before it could be fully realized and put them all out of business. Then they’d start crowdfunding Chris’ legal defense.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

colonelwest posted:

They’d claim that the FBI was bribed by big game publishers to destroy Chris’ transcendent vision before it could be fully realized and put them all out of business. Then they’d start crowdfunding Chris’ legal defense.

:hmmyes:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Xakura posted:

By releasing toothless, impotent Youtube and Twitch videos.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

monkeytek posted:

Please prove to me it is the most complex game ever conceived or built? Right now I see an incomplete single solar system, barebones game loops, horrible AI, poo poo tier Net Code.

https://i.imgur.com/8jTBb4g.mp4

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Quavers posted:

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000161747-Troubleshoot-the-RSI-Launcher

:trustme: [i]Currently, the RSI Launcher does not verify the amount of available and required harddrive space against the drive you select.

At least development running on so long is helping out the demanded SSD space.

It's not as big of a deal anymore to have to set aside the better part of 100GB on solid state.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is the instructions for doing anything on Linux.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

colonelwest posted:

it's that video game deep state, man

that's how they get you

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Serious question though: can't an installer be programmed to delete the user folder automatically?

That's always the heart of the problem (at least in the fevered minds of the backers), seems like that's something you'd just want automatically done... I've never heard of other games requiring you to manually delete a file to update the game.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That because CIG do things that have never been done before.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, they'd have to come up with some new term for deleting a .cfg file.

Special Client Setting Reset or something similar.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

The publishers? pffft. George Soros and NASA didn't want people to have access to such technology since the Fidelity is so high it would prove that the earth is flat. Elon Musk tried to help but he got his baby switched with a clone so now he has to obey the cabal.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Danknificent posted:

it's that video game deep state, man

that's how they get you

I know, I’m coordinating the whole thing through my contacts in federal law enforcement, the intelligence agencies and Hillary Clinton’s international cabal of billionaire pedophiles. I give CIG 90 days tops. Check-in at your local pizza shop for updates and instructions.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Brr, I gave this man 70 bucks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA9L-ph2p-Y

I was watching this gameplay vid (it looks, idk, ok?) when i noticed that the space smoke coming out of the space guns completely obscures the scanner lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

XK posted:

This is the instructions for doing anything on Linux.

That's kind of a strange and wrong burn considering that they are literally instructions for Windows.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Strangler 42 posted:

It's such an out of the blue end to the Star Citizen saga that I think the only thing that could beat it would be if Chris used all that money to build a real spaceship and returned to his home planet of Scamulon 4

This but in bearface

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

gently caress

https://twitter.com/KerbalSpaceP/status/1263190715141627904

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, they'd have to come up with some new term for deleting a .cfg file.

Special Client Setting Reset or something similar.

Do I smell another kickstarter stretch goal?? Lemme get my wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

eXXon posted:

That's kind of a strange and wrong burn considering that they are literally instructions for Windows.

They're supposed to have a Linux version. Just imagine.