Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn’t person A have had a loss for the taxable year of the theft? Presumably they would have carried that loss forward and could now apply it against any tax from their settlement.

Not an accountant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Wouldn’t person A have had a loss for the taxable year of the theft? Presumably they would have carried that loss forward and could now apply it against any tax from their settlement.

Not an accountant.

They were scammed out of the money by a con man basically, they never wrote it off as a loss in this example, no.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Zero VGS posted:

They were scammed out of the money by a con man basically, they never wrote it off as a loss in this example, no.

Usual rule for legal settlements is no taxes on damages unless you claimed the damages as a loss on taxes previously, only "punitive" awards are taxable. If there was no loss reported on Schedule A that year, then it seems the amount is damages and there's no need to pay tax on it. Check with the lawyer to make sure though, they're supposed to inform you generally how the settlement was characterized.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MadDogMike posted:

Usual rule for legal settlements is no taxes on damages unless you claimed the damages as a loss on taxes previously, only "punitive" awards are taxable. If there was no loss reported on Schedule A that year, then it seems the amount is damages and there's no need to pay tax on it. Check with the lawyer to make sure though, they're supposed to inform you generally how the settlement was characterized.

Thanks very much, that's what I was looking for.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Framboise posted:

My trumpbux Congressbux are finally pending. Took about a month longer than everyone else, but it's there.

Fixed this for me. We actually got it Thursday, the full amount. Now to file my 2019 taxes...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I've exercised and sold a bunch of ISOs. Is there any way for me to pay the capital gains tax now (I've already filed my 2019 return) instead of holding onto the expected tax until next March? I've held them for long enough that they're long-term and am basically guaranteed to fall into the 15% bracket, so I don't expect that there'd be any ambiguity about my liability.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You could make an estimated tax payments if you really want to. You do it online, make sure to save the receipt.

Since this is a one-time thing, you're probably not going to have any underpayment penalties, so sticking it in a savings account will get you some interest and save you the hassle of figuring out how to make the estimated payments to the IRS and your state.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
You could also increase withholding on any W2 income to cover what you think you'll owe.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I've exercised and sold a bunch of ISOs. Is there any way for me to pay the capital gains tax now (I've already filed my 2019 return) instead of holding onto the expected tax until next March? I've held them for long enough that they're long-term and am basically guaranteed to fall into the 15% bracket, so I don't expect that there'd be any ambiguity about my liability.

Multiply the upside by 15% and punch it into pay.gov if you insist on prepaying your tax liability. Your 2019 return has no bearing on this if you did it in 2020. Remember that ISO's have special treatment. Did you exercise them a year before you sold them? Holding the option doesn't start the ltcg timer. Holding shares does. I forget the exact iso rules, but if you exercised in 2019 and sold in 2020 then those shares are in your amt calculation in you 2019 taxes.

Make a new account at your bank (ally/capital one 360 makes this easy), call it taxes, dump the estimated amount in there, ignore it until 2021.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Yeah, the period should be fine, they were exercised in 2017. The amount isn't going to accrue any meaningful interest in a savings account, but if it's annoying to deal with pre-paying it I'll quell my irrational anxiety about it somehow disappearing before 2021.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Yeah, the period should be fine, they were exercised in 2017. The amount isn't going to accrue any meaningful interest in a savings account, but if it's annoying to deal with pre-paying it I'll quell my irrational anxiety about it somehow disappearing before 2021.

Yeah if you don't like it hanging over you pay.gov will happily take your money. Print out the confirmation page and put it with your 2020 tax documents (pdf, dead tree, whatever.) I would make it a round number, it's easier to input it later. If you owe $1,035 for example I would just pay $1000. But whatever makes you happy.

Your state hopefully has an equivalent site. Make sure you pick the correct tax year for the payment, sale in 2020 is for 2020 taxes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If my wife and I are filing jointly, is only one of us supposed to take allowances on the W4? Or both? We both have our own jobs and own W4s.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

If my wife and I are filing jointly, is only one of us supposed to take allowances on the W4? Or both? We both have our own jobs and own W4s.
You need to do whatever combination of withholding will result in roughly the correct amount being withheld for your tax liability. If both of you are salary with roughly fixed bonuses, you should be able to calculate this completely ahead of time and choose your allowances/additional withholding accordingly. The W4s are dogshit at conveying this, however. What I'm trying to say is that it's completely dependent on your actual numbers, and it's up to you to figure out what that is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

If you make roughly the same amount of money, and combined fall in the 22/24% bracket ($80-360k combined income) you can set them identically and balance it out on your taxes one way or the other. You may owe money at the end of the year. If you make wildly differing amounts you can do things like withhold at the single rate on the lower earner. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/federal-income-tax-brackets/ Look at the 2020 rates. Figure out where you're going to fall and ballpark it. I'm 100% OK with surprise tax bills / tax refunds at the end of the year if it means I don't have to do math.

Otherwise it's math time:

Hoodwinker posted:

You need to do whatever combination of withholding will result in roughly the correct amount being withheld for your tax liability. If both of you are salary with roughly fixed bonuses, you should be able to calculate this completely ahead of time and choose your allowances/additional withholding accordingly. The W4s are dogshit at conveying this, however. What I'm trying to say is that it's completely dependent on your actual numbers, and it's up to you to figure out what that is.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So apparently 1099-MISC won't be used going forward for independent contractor services, there will be a separate form. Curious what prompted that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

So apparently 1099-MISC won't be used going forward for independent contractor services, there will be a separate form. Curious what prompted that.

Since we're in hell timeline it's something to benefit the Ubers and Lyfts of the world.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I work on a W2 basis and have some stock that I received from a previous job. The stock has done well, but it has concentrated my savings more than I would like. I want to sell some of it, preferably without having to file estimated tax forms.

Might it be an option to have the government keep my refund toward the next year's tax, and then sell an amount of the stock that would be subject to that amount of tax? My understanding of the IRS guidance is that it requires estimated tax forms only to explain payments that the taxpayer sends during the year, not payments received some other way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

I work on a W2 basis and have some stock that I received from a previous job. The stock has done well, but it has concentrated my savings more than I would like. I want to sell some of it, preferably without having to file estimated tax forms.

Might it be an option to have the government keep my refund toward the next year's tax, and then sell an amount of the stock that would be subject to that amount of tax? My understanding of the IRS guidance is that it requires estimated tax forms only to explain payments that the taxpayer sends during the year, not payments received some other way.

Sell it in one big lump sum. Send the correct % to the IRS. Done. You don't need to estimate it for this year if you're under the safe harbor. I think. Same as the prior poster if you're not scared of earning interest and are in the safe harbor put it in a dedicated savings account for your inevitable tax bill.

If you don't have anything special for 2021 you still don't have to do estimated taxes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I love when they randomly change the forms around for no reason to make everything more confusing.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Gazpacho posted:

You do the estimated taxes online, and it's probably easier than redeeming your credit card rewards. Just so you don't let the tax tail wag the dog here.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I have a scenario related to employee stock (ISOs) that I was hoping to get some help with (my tax guy is being too slow to respond because of COVID but I want to make a sale soon)...anyone have any idea on this? Thanks!

Does the exercise price actually matter for a sale in the following scenario: say my ISO strike price was $50, the market price @ sale is $75, and I exercised at $100. if i’ve held for 1+ year and paid AMT on the exercised shares previously, does the exercise price > market price factor into anything, other than the AMT adjustment on next years return?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I have a scenario related to employee stock (ISOs) that I was hoping to get some help with (my tax guy is being too slow to respond because of COVID but I want to make a sale soon)...anyone have any idea on this? Thanks!

Does the exercise price actually matter for a sale in the following scenario: say my ISO strike price was $50, the market price @ sale is $75, and I exercised at $100. if i’ve held for 1+ year and paid AMT on the exercised shares previously, does the exercise price > market price factor into anything, other than the AMT adjustment on next years return?

I don't know specifically the answer to your tax questions. What I will say is, if you want to sell - sell. They will send you tax forms and you can figure it out from there.

My guess is there is a $25 "loss" coming your way.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I plan to take money out of an old IRA to put towards a down payment on a home, and afaik I can take up to $10,000 penalty free.

Can I take >$10,000 and only pay a penalty on the portion above 10k?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Deviant posted:

I plan to take money out of an old IRA to put towards a down payment on a home, and afaik I can take up to $10,000 penalty free.

Can I take >$10,000 and only pay a penalty on the portion above 10k?
That seems to track with what I'm seeing in Publication 590-B. Are you sure you can actually afford to own a house though if you're drawing from retirement savings to afford a down payment?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hoodwinker posted:

That seems to track with what I'm seeing in Publication 590-B. Are you sure you can actually afford to own a house though if you're drawing from retirement savings to afford a down payment?

Yeah, i was just running numbers on if an extra 10k down would be lower the payment in a significant way. It's not to afford the down payment, merely to potentially beef it up a little more. I probably won't do it, but I wanted to know my option on it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Deviant posted:

Yeah, i was just running numbers on if an extra 10k down would be lower the payment in a significant way. It's not to afford the down payment, merely to potentially beef it up a little more. I probably won't do it, but I wanted to know my option on it.

Remember that it's still subject to income tax even if it's not subject to the 10% penalty.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

Remember that it's still subject to income tax even if it's not subject to the 10% penalty.

This is the reason I probably wouldn't do it. I'd lose a fair bit of it to taxes.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I've heard some married people have received $1,200 checks for each person while others have received one $2,400 check for the couple. And now I've seen some cases where one person gets the $1,200 check, then later they and their partner get the $2,400 check! What's happening there and how's it gonna be resolved?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dungeon cousin posted:

I've heard some married people have received $1,200 checks for each person while others have received one $2,400 check for the couple. And now I've seen some cases where one person gets the $1,200 check, then later they and their partner get the $2,400 check! What's happening there and how's it gonna be resolved?

If you get a check in error, there's a procedure for sending it back-see the IRS site. Mnuchin has communicated that amounts issued in error will be subject to reclamation.

I gotta emphasize that the basic IRS systems being reworked to do this are well, not exactly flexible. It's remarkable much worse hasn't happened.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 20, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Hello thread, I have a question about my parents finances not so much own. Does any one have any recommendations for a fiduciary in the NYC area? Do certain ones only deal with certain amounts of money etc.

Both my parents are in the 70s and highly suspect of any financial instrument other than CD's, and dont believe in financial developments after the 80's. My father still has tens of thousands in college loan debt form the 60's that he is refusing to pay off beyond interest, or discuss. My mother has a TDA and 8 bank accounts because she doesnt believe FDIC works (My mother has no problem with the idea that I will have to go to random banks with a death certificate to see if she has any money squirreled away). They are both adamant that I will inherit "everything" with little to no taxes, but I know this is just their worm-brained boomer thinking.

My goal is somewhat selfish, yes. Im looking consolidate their finances and make sure that when they pass I dont get screwed in taxes due to poor planning (fathers college debt, a poorly arranged real estate trust for a house). Thanks to their ailing health I am slowing getting joint-account status or just straight control, but I am totally out of my depth with what to do with most of this garbage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

Hello thread, I have a question about my parents finances not so much own. Does any one have any recommendations for a fiduciary in the NYC area? Do certain ones only deal with certain amounts of money etc.

Both my parents are in the 70s and highly suspect of any financial instrument other than CD's, and dont believe in financial developments after the 80's. My father still has tens of thousands in college loan debt form the 60's that he is refusing to pay off beyond interest, or discuss. My mother has a TDA and 8 bank accounts because she doesnt believe FDIC works (My mother has no problem with the idea that I will have to go to random banks with a death certificate to see if she has any money squirreled away). They are both adamant that I will inherit "everything" with little to no taxes, but I know this is just their worm-brained boomer thinking.

My goal is somewhat selfish, yes. Im looking consolidate their finances and make sure that when they pass I dont get screwed in taxes due to poor planning (fathers college debt, a poorly arranged real estate trust for a house). Thanks to their ailing health I am slowing getting joint-account status or just straight control, but I am totally out of my depth with what to do with most of this garbage.

I don't think I would touch the poop here. You're going to pay for it when they pass in the form of an estate attorney having to figure it all out. Unless they have 10's of millions of dollars in assets there is no estate tax. Period. (Under current law. Trump recently doubled the exemption amount.)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I don't think I would touch the poop here. You're going to pay for it when they pass in the form of an estate attorney having to figure it all out. Unless they have 10's of millions of dollars in assets there is no estate tax. Period. (Under current law. Trump recently doubled the exemption amount.)

It is a total poo poo-train wreck yes, but I think fixing some things now would better than after they die. Currently my father runs a failing business which he refuses to close down, and is totally financially dependent on my mother. They also dont have any shared accounts, nor do they file taxes jointly. If she were to die tomorrow, say from the plague and her MS, my father would be immediately dependent on me for food and rent. In addition, my mother is heavily medicated (painkillers and pot) that she is rapidly loosing the ability to manager her own finances. She doesnt know if she has 300k or 800k free, the amount changes because she cant recall what banks she has money in. I need some professional local help in putting this together because well gently caress.

Edit: This was what my father gave me when he asked for help with filing his taxes. This pile contains income, expenditures, and some payroll. 1 of 4 piles.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 20, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:sever:

Maybe you can find new parents?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

It is a total poo poo-train wreck yes, but I think fixing some things now would better than after they die. Currently my father runs a failing business which he refuses to close down, and is totally financially dependent on my mother. They also dont have any shared accounts, nor do they file taxes jointly. If she were to die tomorrow, say from the plague and her MS, my father would be immediately dependent on me for food and rent. In addition, my mother is heavily medicated (painkillers and pot) that she is rapidly loosing the ability to manager her own finances. She doesnt know if she has 300k or 800k free, the amount changes because she cant recall what banks she has money in. I need some professional local help in putting this together because well gently caress.

Edit: This was what my father gave me when he asked for help with filing his taxes. This pile contains income, expenditures, and some payroll. 1 of 4 piles.

No matter your end goal and how good it is, what is your plan to get them on board? To directly answer your question, yes there are "fee for service fiduciary financial planners" which is what you're looking for in this case. Your parents also need an estate plan, and then to do the necessary steps to get things in place - such as actually placing accounts in the trust. You could always see if your mom will give you a power of attorney on her finances, but that's a big risk. I would immediately hire someone to do it for me rather than take on a fiduciary risk.

It seems like what they need is a single premium annuity, so no matter how bankrupt they get they get a check next month.

Also how dare you steal my tax folder. It's organized by approximate time I last added it to the pile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Also how dare you steal my tax folder. It's organized by approximate time I last added it to the pile.

There is a new one for every goddamn year. That's some organization.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

No matter your end goal and how good it is, what is your plan to get them on board? To directly answer your question, yes there are "fee for service fiduciary financial planners" which is what you're looking for in this case. Your parents also need an estate plan, and then to do the necessary steps to get things in place - such as actually placing accounts in the trust. You could always see if your mom will give you a power of attorney on her finances, but that's a big risk. I would immediately hire someone to do it for me rather than take on a fiduciary risk.

It seems like what they need is a single premium annuity, so no matter how bankrupt they get they get a check next month.

Thankfully my mother has a matured TDA, and that pulls in a MIN of 55k a year (yay teachers union). Its just that she keeps telling me different things about how it would be inherited, because she doesnt acknowledge any changes in the tax code past the 80s. I am also personally ignorant of how that would be affected by estate taxes, or if I could keep the TDA alive so it would continue to accrue interest (currently 1.4m at 7% with min 50k annual payout).

This is why I was looking for recommendations for a fiduciary, there are plenty of assets that are just completely unorganized.

Further edit: last year my mother was against the idea of consolidating her bank accounts to one singular ethnic credit union because "she didnt want them knowing how much money she has". She also hasnt left the house in a decade.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 21, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You're well beyond tax advice, even beyond estate planning at this point. You're into having a difficult conversation about all of these red flags and whether either of them are capable of managing their own finances anymore. Depends on how that goes maybe you're back to the fiduciary and/or estate attorney, or maybe you're off to court to force guardianship before they nuke their available cash and end up living in your basement.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

She also hasnt left the house in a decade.

As in, absolutely 0 times? Not gone to the doctor, the grocery store, the mailbox? If she steadfastly refuses to leave the house you should call adult protective services and start working with a social worker. Agoraphobia (or whatever) is a mental health disease that can be treated. Does she bathe, feed, and toilet herself? If so guardianship is almost certainly off the table, at least through any easy path. If the person is competent enough to fight you on it they're likely competent enough to win. Financial poa is your most likely course here, but that will require them to visit with their own attorney, you to have your own attorney, etc.

Either way you are 100% in a "you can lead a horse to water" state. You need to have some hard conversations with them about your concern for their long term health and well being. I would leave out any talk about what you want to do about it until you have had those conversations. A social worker can help you here.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

As in, absolutely 0 times? Not gone to the doctor, the grocery store, the mailbox? If she steadfastly refuses to leave the house you should call adult protective services and start working with a social worker. Agoraphobia (or whatever) is a mental health disease that can be treated. Does she bathe, feed, and toilet herself? If so guardianship is almost certainly off the table, at least through any easy path. If the person is competent enough to fight you on it they're likely competent enough to win. Financial poa is your most likely course here, but that will require them to visit with their own attorney, you to have your own attorney, etc.

Either way you are 100% in a "you can lead a horse to water" state. You need to have some hard conversations with them about your concern for their long term health and well being. I would leave out any talk about what you want to do about it until you have had those conversations. A social worker can help you here.

No its very bad MS, she has left to go to the doctor but doing so requires a wheelchair and adult incontinence underwear. Going to the bathroom at home requires a wheelchair and some assistance, but dont worry my father finally stopped going to work this May (only poor people and the dead stop working)! The same business my mother sometimes throws in to cover rent and payroll when cash flow is low (rent is 3.6k, 2 weeks pay for one employee is around 2k)!

Just this week the household credit card got froze for reaching its limit, of course I was the one who sorted credit bills before hand but the plague has limited my visits. My father wasnt able to check the bills/mail for 3 months because he doesnt have the time, because hes so busy at work (at a non essential business Coumo/DiBlasio shut down).

I already started to get access to that credit account through online banking, however even this is seen as such a huge loss of control as to be nearly unbearable.

Edit: If my father dies with 0 assets beyond a realestate trust, will his college loan debt be extracted from the value of said trust? And if I am a minority shareholder of said trust, will I be responsible for part of said debt?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

No its very bad MS, she has left to go to the doctor but doing so requires a wheelchair and adult incontinence underwear. Going to the bathroom at home requires a wheelchair and some assistance, but dont worry my father finally stopped going to work this May (only poor people and the dead stop working)! The same business my mother sometimes throws in to cover rent and payroll when cash flow is low (rent is 3.6k, 2 weeks pay for one employee is around 2k)!

Just this week the household credit card got froze for reaching its limit, of course I was the one who sorted credit bills before hand but the plague has limited my visits. My father wasnt able to check the bills/mail for 3 months because he doesnt have the time, because hes so busy at work (at a non essential business Coumo/DiBlasio shut down).

I already started to get access to that credit account through online banking, however even this is seen as such a huge loss of control as to be nearly unbearable.

Edit: If my father dies with 0 assets beyond a realestate trust, will his college loan debt be extracted from the value of said trust? And if I am a minority shareholder of said trust, will I be responsible for part of said debt?

Ok, she doesn't leave due to a physical/medical disability not a mental one. You need to talk to a local attorney and your parents in a real way about what to do here. There are ways to get this handled, but they will all require their buy in or a huge amount of effort (attorney fees) if you are trying to do this against their will. It is extremely fact specific and until they are literally destitute or your mom is abused/neglected it might not be possible. You're way (way) way beyond the scope of offensive comedy forums. (Things like a special needs trust, powers of attorney of various types, medical directives, etc.)

It's a lovely situation because you KNOW what they need, but they won't listen. Seek help from a therapist yourself, seriously, on how to not go crazy with this. You can only help people as much as they want to be helped.