Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

torgeaux posted:

Ten pounds of flour could just be left in the bag if you're going to be using it over a few months, unless you have a bug or dampness issue.

If someone was worried about bugs & dampness in a small place, would the Cambros be the way to go? Mason jars?
Hoping not to buy 10lb of flour and sugar either way but I'm using things way more slowly without cooking for the whole extended family now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have a pair of carbon steel opinel paring knives. My gf loves them and asked if they made a chef's knife. They don't seem to make something in the same steel. Could anyone recommend something that is lightweight, thin, and sharp (carbon is good because we love patina)? This would be used almost exclusively on vegetables. I was thinking maybe some sort of carbon steel nakiri or santoku.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

If someone was worried about bugs & dampness in a small place, would the Cambros be the way to go? Mason jars?
Hoping not to buy 10lb of flour and sugar either way but I'm using things way more slowly without cooking for the whole extended family now

Buy decent, buy once. Get the cambro that will hold ten pounds, don't look back.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tricky Ed posted:

I have one very much like this: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-BCG111ER-Blade-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B081PBH4NX

It works well enough for spices. People who care about coffee recommend a burr grinder because they're more consistent. I don't have any experience with them.

Just want to say that I actually got one of these on the cheap for spices a day or two before you posted about it and it's a piece of poo poo. It takes up more space, makes a huge mess (which was the entire reason I sought out a grinder with a separable bowl), and doesn't work as well as a $20 Krups grinder.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 18, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fart Car '97 posted:

Just want to say that I actually got one of these on the cheap for spices a day or two before you posted about it and it's a piece of poo poo. It takes up more space, makes a huge mess (which was the entire reason I sought out a grinder with a separable bowl), and doesn't work as well as a $20 Krups grinder.

This is also my experience with the same grinder. The top of the metal bowl doesn’t actually seal to the plastic lid, so like 10% of whatever I am grinding ends up flying out, every time.

It will eventually get a good grind, but it takes like a full minute, and only if I pick it up and actively shake it while grinding so that a big pick of compressed, half-ground spices doesn’t get stuck under the blade.

gently caress it. I’ve been living with it for like 2 years because “it does eventually do a good enough job”, but nah. Typing this out made me mad enough to order a Krups.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I actually solved the mess issue today by sliding a rubber band into the gap in the lid to create a seal. Wrap the rubber band around the removable cup, place it upside-down into the lid, then use something flat & thin (I use a small knife) to slide the band off the cup and into the little gap to create a gasket. It's perfectly sealed now. FWIW I noticed it ground the test batch much better after sealing it than it had ground prior batches. It's still a POS and I wish I'd got something else but eh.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 18, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There should have been a o ring in that gap in the first place. Mine certainly came with one.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There should have been a o ring in that gap in the first place. Mine certainly came with one.

When did you but it and is it the same model? Because I can find no evidence of this model ever coming with an O-ring, but lots of evidence of people putting one in themselves.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

When did you but it and is it the same model? Because I can find no evidence of this model ever coming with an O-ring, but lots of evidence of people putting one in themselves.

Mine is probably 7-10 years old? And the only reason I know it has one is because I was trying to clean that gap out the other day and the o ring fell out. Clear silicone near as I can tell. I don't think I put it in there myself, I think I would remember that. And I'm not sure where I would have got one anyway. I mean its possible, but I'm fairly certain it's always been there. I just didn't know it.

edit: Wait nevermind, I should have clicked through to the pictures. Mine's not even a kitchenaid. It's this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Spice-Nut-Grinder-SG10C/dp/B002H0QMG2/

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm pretty sure an o ring is necessary for any manual grinder to operate.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xtal posted:

I'm pretty sure an o ring is necessary for any manual grinder to operate.

OK but that doesn't change the fact that this model, which retails for $40-45, doesn't come with one? and doesn't even appear to have been designed with one in mind? In fact they'll sell you a separate spice grinding kit for a $20 premium that comes with lids that, according to most reviews, will not even stay on while grinding. Point is this grinder is bad and nobody should buy it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

OK but that doesn't change the fact that this model, which retails for $40-45, doesn't come with one? and doesn't even appear to have been designed with one in mind? In fact they'll sell you a separate spice grinding kit for a $20 premium that comes with lids that, according to most reviews, will not even stay on while grinding. Point is this grinder is bad and nobody should buy it.

I think we're on the same page here. It's great that you turned your lemon into lemonade. It's admirable that you fix this grinder instead of buying a new one.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If it's not too late, you may be able to look at the manual to see what parts were shipped, VS what you received. If there is no o ring, that's a good reason to refund.

xtal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 19, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I used two pans to make canele. One was a cheap silicone mold that was sent to me accidentally, the other is an expensive mold used by professional cooks.

The expensive mold is better, but only faintly. The canele release much easier and have a crunchier/chewier exterior. The cheap silicone mold canele are still delicious, crunchy/chewy, and cost $15 on amazon.

The four smaller ones on the right are the expensive mold, and the rest are the cheap mold.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xtal posted:

If it's not too late, you may be able to look at the manual to see what parts were shipped, VS what you received. If there is no o ring, that's a good reason to refund. An o ring will come with any grinder as they are a requisite for a grinder to work. This is cannabis, not challenger.

If I'd paid full price I'd probably put the refund in but I got it half off and the rubber band has pretty much solved my issues with it.

DC based folks, I saw that Best Kitchen Supply at Union market was open today! They've been closed since covid but must have been granted a special license.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I used two pans to make canele. One was a cheap silicone mold that was sent to me accidentally, the other is an expensive mold used by professional cooks.

The expensive mold is better, but only faintly. The canele release much easier and have a crunchier/chewier exterior. The cheap silicone mold canele are still delicious, crunchy/chewy, and cost $15 on amazon.

The four smaller ones on the right are the expensive mold, and the rest are the cheap mold.

Was just about to post in the NYC thread asking you what you ended up using. Look great.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Was just about to post in the NYC thread asking you what you ended up using. Look great.

for reference, this is the expensive pan by De Buyer, recommended to me by a chef friend as the pan they use in their bakery.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Anyone ever use a De Buyer "Le Tube"? https://www.debuyer-brandshop.com/de-Buyer-Le-Tube-Pressure-Pastry-Syringe

Or maybe have an idea if cheaper knockoffs exist?

I make filled donuts regularly, and and between having the piping bag coupler interface explode from the pressure needed to pipe thick custards, and having the donut explode because there's no way to accurately know how much goo you've pumped into a donut, I'm looking for alternatives, but at nearly C$200 the price is pretty steep for the De Buyer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kreez posted:

Anyone ever use a De Buyer "Le Tube"? https://www.debuyer-brandshop.com/de-Buyer-Le-Tube-Pressure-Pastry-Syringe

Or maybe have an idea if cheaper knockoffs exist?

I make filled donuts regularly, and and between having the piping bag coupler interface explode from the pressure needed to pipe thick custards, and having the donut explode because there's no way to accurately know how much goo you've pumped into a donut, I'm looking for alternatives, but at nearly C$200 the price is pretty steep for the De Buyer.

Curious how it compares to this which is 1/12 the price.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B3OK9A/

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Beauty, I'll give it a shot. Not sure why they decided the most descriptive name they could come up with for that is a "dessert decorator", but it certainly prevented me from finding it despite doing a decent amount of Googling and clicking through online stores.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The Norpro one is even cheaper, but doesn't have as long a tip:
https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cupcake-Injector-Decorating-9-Piece/dp/B0042YYBNC/

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

For $7 shipped it seems worth it for the 2-3x a year my wife makes filled donuts. I ordered this cake-fucker, will report back when it gets used

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kreez posted:

For filled donuts you might try what's called a cookie press. Instead of being a syringe-type thing, they're more or less a caulk gun with interchangeable tips and discs that can be used for piping icing, filling pastries, or making grotty mid-century xmas cookies. Some of them have a spring-loaded trigger sort of thing, but I used to have one that had swappable plungers. One was the spring-and-trigger thing that allowed you to pipe continuously by applying pressure on the trigger, more or less exactly like a caulk gun. The other punger had a treaded shaft, and you piped stuff by twisting the handle, which makes it very easy to dispense exactly the same amount of stuff every time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anyone have any strong feelings, either positive or negative, about any 6 quart pasta pots? I don’t need an insert, just something appropriately sized for cooking for my family.

I already have a great 12 quart pot for cooking for bigger groups, but washing that thing sucks.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Does anyone have any strong feelings, either positive or negative, about any 6 quart pasta pots? I don’t need an insert, just something appropriately sized for cooking for my family.

I already have a great 12 quart pot for cooking for bigger groups, but washing that thing sucks.

The only strong opinion I have is that you should go fairly cheap. Not dirt cheap, if it's something you'll use often, since it'll last a while, but the expense for something really nice is not worth it.

I have an all-clad for what it's worth, and it wasn't worth the price, even at the sale price I got it for. A smallish stock pot is nothing special so don't spend money like it is.

Honestly just use a dutch oven for your pasta, if you have one.

Or just throw the big fucker into the dishwasher. gently caress it. The only thing I wash by hand are my dutch ovens, chef knives, and anything wooden.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 20, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I would get something stainless steel with a tri-clad bottom (don't need the whole thing to be tri-clad). Like above poster said, you don't need something fancy. I have this in a 12-qt I think and it works great.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Any cleavers anyone recommends?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

CCK usually is the recommendation, though there might be a more cost effective option since they've gone up over the years.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/carbon-steel-cleaver/

A few people were posting good results with some of these recently.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you’re still cooking your pasta in a gallon of water, you don’t have to. Enough water to cover in a pot or pan of basically any shape will cook pasta just fine. You can use a short pot for most long pastas just fine, you just need to submerge the tops of the noodles as the bottoms become more flexible in the boiling water.

You can also start your pasta in cold water and bring to a boil, apparently, relying on taste-test for doneness. I haven’t been bold enough to try this, though.

E: seconding Chemmy, though, don’t buy an expensive stock pot. If you do decide you need a stock pot, buy the cheapest one you can convince yourself feels a little heavy and substantial to you.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
shallow water for dried pasta only tho

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

any recs on a shortbread pan? Looking for a birthday gift for a friend who makes killer shortbread, but doesn't yet have a specific pan for it.

Also, I got one of those $15 blenders because I want smoothies during quarantine and, I have to say, it's not bad. It's not like my old roommate's Vitamix, clearly, but it can definitely make a smoothie with greens that's decently smooth and drinkable. I'm mostly worried the motor will give out since the base was heating up a bit, but for $15 even if it only lasts me a few months it will have been worth it.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 20, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations on electric kettles with variable temperature control? I'm torn between the OXO adjustable (because OXO tends to be good and it doesn't have fixed temperature settings but lets you dial it) and the Cuisinart one that seems to be the standard. I want the variability for brewing different teas at the right temps in addition to the usual tasks of an electric kettle (instant noodles, speeding up getting pasta water up to temp, etc).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

captkirk posted:

Any recommendations on electric kettles with variable temperature control? I'm torn between the OXO adjustable (because OXO tends to be good and it doesn't have fixed temperature settings but lets you dial it) and the Cuisinart one that seems to be the standard. I want the variability for brewing different teas at the right temps in addition to the usual tasks of an electric kettle (instant noodles, speeding up getting pasta water up to temp, etc).

I used to have this one and it worked great. The Cuisinart one has only preset temperatures (if we're thinking of the same one) and no gooseneck.

The base feels a little flimsy, but the kettle itself is solid and should last a while.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of Vitamix, if any of y’all have been wanting a Vitamix 750 Professional 64-oz low-profile blender, you might wanna go ahead and buy it now. The Amazon price on it has dropped like a rock over the last week or two. I think it’s under $400 now.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I used to have this one and it worked great. The Cuisinart one has only preset temperatures (if we're thinking of the same one) and no gooseneck.

The base feels a little flimsy, but the kettle itself is solid and should last a while.

Yeah, we're thinking of the same Cruisinart one. That's why I'm looking for other options, I irrationally chafe at the preset temps only.

EDIT: The Bonavita you referenced seems to have a large portion of complaints about build quality and DOA.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 20, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

Chinese cleaver, which is to say a square chef's knife, or something for hacking through bones?

For Chinese cleavers, the knife that put Chinese cleavers on the English-speaking internet's map is the Chan Chi Kee KF1301, a.k.a. the CCK #1 small slicer. Their popularity, coupled with the fact that there's basically only one English-language place to buy them online (chefknivestogo) means that they're more than twice as expensive now as when they first started getting recommended online.

These days if you want something like the CCK KF1301 I'd recommend the Shi Ba Zi S210-1. Here's the two cleavers mentioned so far side by side:

Top right is the CCK KF1301, the lower left is the SBZ S210-1. That particular CCK is 232 x 101 mm, 2.79 mm thick at the spine, and weighs 367 g. The SBZ is 228 x 95 mm, 2.67 mm at the spine, and weighs 421 g. In the hand the differences are something you'd only notice if you'd used both of them a lot. The CCK is currently going for like US$80 on ck2g, and you can get the SBZ for just over US$20 off merchants on aliexpress (example link here to a seller called `Only You' that I've bought from several times with no problems).

The SBZ S210-1 is more or less a direct replacement for the CCK KF1301. Another inexpensive SBZ cleaver I use a lot is the slightly more upmarket stainless `professional' cleaver about the same size, the SBZ F208-1. Here's a comparison shot of the F208-1 next to the KF1301:

The numbers are 225 x 95 mm, 2.3 mm at the spine, weighs 379 g.

If you were actually asking for bone cleaver recs ignore all this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

I have a Cuisinart MCP 6 qt and I would strongly not recommend it. The MCP line is a common GWS recommendation, but at least the examples I have have noticeably lower quality stainless than the Calphalon and All-Clad stock pots and sauce pans I own. The MCP developed spotting and pitting after minimal use, something I have never observed with any of my other stainless cookware, including pieces I use way more than the MCP stuff.

If I had it to do over I'd probably get either a Calphalon or Tramontina. I can understand the argument for going cheaper if you're really strapped for cash, but my thought is that a stock pot is something that's going to last you a couple decades unless the icy hand of fate intervenes in some way, so why the gently caress wouldn't you spend a couple extra bucks to make sure it doesn't suck?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

Yeah, we're thinking of the same Cruisinart one. That's why I'm looking for other options, I irrationally chafe at the preset temps only.

EDIT: The Bonavita you referenced seems to have a large portion of complaints about build quality and DOA.

I have one of these and while the complaints about build quality are probably valid (I’ve had one die on me in the 4 years I’ve owned this particular model), it’s also probably the cheapest option with an actual thermostat and a gooseneck. I wouldn’t think twice about buying something with DOA complaints from amazon, infant mortality isn’t always a sign that the units in general are shoddily built or prone to failure. Especially considering a lot of this stuff is cheap electronics, presumably lots of different sub-tier suppliers make parts for the thing and so there’s a bit of a lottery there.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lawnie posted:

If you’re still cooking your pasta in a gallon of water, you don’t have to. Enough water to cover in a pot or pan of basically any shape will cook pasta just fine. You can use a short pot for most long pastas just fine, you just need to submerge the tops of the noodles as the bottoms become more flexible in the boiling water.

At a fundamental level I know this, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I first learned to cook while living in Italy, and some things I will continue to do the way I was taught.

SubG posted:

If I had it to do over I'd probably get either a Calphalon or Tramontina. I can understand the argument for going cheaper if you're really strapped for cash, but my thought is that a stock pot is something that's going to last you a couple decades unless the icy hand of fate intervenes in some way, so why the gently caress wouldn't you spend a couple extra bucks to make sure it doesn't suck?

Tramontina has one that looks promising to me, so I’ll probably order that. I make pasta 2-3 times a week, and ya, having a pot you like starts to matter when you’re using it that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought this tramontina at Costco a few years ago when I had to re-buy induction cookware. The strainer thing works fine but I always forget to put it in and use it