Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just spent like two hours playing AssCreed Origins, clearing out map icons and doing three separate sidequests and the "game progress %" went from 62 to 63. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

err posted:

Do I need to play the first one for it to make sense?

Remember that if you see a word in the text that is differently colored, you can mouse over it and get a more detailed description of what it is, which is nice because I don't remember all the gods and stuff from the first game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are barely any callbacks to the first game except for your basic background and some choices you can make at the beginning. The rest of the time, the game is basically standalone. It's like the relationship between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 in a lot of ways, completely new storyline in a completely new location with some recurring characters. You won't feel lost even if you never played or finished the first game. I didn't and managed fine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Man I knew based on MK9 and 10 and the Injustice games that I would probably like MK11, but this is on a whole other level. The best and most comprehensive tutorials I've seen in a fighting game since Skullgirls, plus a whole slew of performance options on PC. Seems like these days Netherrealms has this down and can basically do no wrong.

I’ve gotten rehooked on it and it’s probably my favorite fighting game ever. I used to be into MvC3 quite a bit but they feel too frantic when I try to play them now. NRS games are paced just right for me.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just spent like two hours playing AssCreed Origins, clearing out map icons and doing three separate sidequests and the "game progress %" went from 62 to 63. :sigh:
95hrs into Odyssey and I don't think I've even cleared half the map yet. Very chill though. I'll probably finish it in like 2022.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i got far cry primal and gosh it's beautiful. i turned off all the nag messages and now I don't know where anytning is or what I'm supposed to do but i don't mind

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let's see if someone can help me out here: I was playing Synthetik with a fellow goon (which is loving fantastic, btw), and there's a... passage? in one of the in-game tracks that sounds super similar to something else (like 95% sure it's from another game involving shooting), but I can't figure out what and it's driving me insane.

Track starts at 23:49 in this video, the bit that I'm trying to figure out what the hell reminds me of is at 24:03 exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bwPlaqFKY

I thought Payday 2 for a second? But if it was that, I can't find the track.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

95hrs into Odyssey and I don't think I've even cleared half the map yet. Very chill though. I'll probably finish it in like 2022.

I am 65 hours in at 79% main progression, 79% regions discovered, and 78% high points synced. It’s a big rear end game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Joe Man posted:

While it's almost too transparent I do wish AssCreed had a giant list of "outposts completed 3/698 / targets assassinated: 1/6" stuff like the Far Cry games do. Checking the map at a zoom level high enough to show me all the marks is frustrating. And I know you're not supposed to but damnit finding all of the marks makes me happy.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Griftlands is so good and charming

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Not sure what's the forum policy on this, but can some of the Troubleshooter experts here come over to the "Before I Play" thread to contribute some advice on what you should know before you play that game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=811#lastpost

This game seems great, but the complexity is off the charts.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hub Cat posted:

Huge pile of G2A fraud stuff

Can someone explain to me why the devs/steam just don't disable those keys? The grift is, as I understand it: Stolen credit card buys a pile of keys, quickly resells them over G2A. Valve or the Studio eventually get a huge chargeback when the card owner notices, but it's too late as the keys are sold/redeemed. But... why not just nuke the key on Steam? Congrats on your stolen goods, why are you buying known dodgy goods, your product no longer passes online verification so you now need a crack/pirate thingie.

Does Valve not do that since it's poor PR? Even though it's supporting the sale of known stolen goods? I'm assuming some of the victims (retailers) is the Steam storefront itself, so even if Valve is hesitant of touching the shitfight between other 3rd parties, they'd care about their own poo poo being ripped off? Right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
They've done exactly that back in the day, Ubisoft did it on Uplay too with a ton of Far Cry 4 keys:

Even this is still a pain for devs though. They get flooded with complaints from people blaming them and not G2A, and even in cases where they don't deactivate keys they still have to respond to tech support requests etc for copies they made no money from, which led to multiple devs echoing this:

https://twitter.com/raveofravendale/status/1145272774761603072?s=21

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They mostly aren't stealing directly from Steam because you don't get saleable keys from the Steam store(I'd like to believe there aren't many people stupid enough to buy gifted games from randos) so Steam wouldn't know which keys are illegitimate without the devs telling them. Stolen games bought directly through Steam are routinely revoked though if you ever want to take a dig through the Steam forums.

Dev's don't like to revoke stolen keys because it does nothing to hurt the card thieves while hurting legitimate* customers(who blame the devs) and they get no compensation for the chargeback fees etc.

The solution devs usually take is to stop selling keys independently and start exclusively selling through third parties like Humble or only on Steam.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 21, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's see if someone can help me out here: I was playing Synthetik with a fellow goon (which is loving fantastic, btw), and there's a... passage? in one of the in-game tracks that sounds super similar to something else (like 95% sure it's from another game involving shooting), but I can't figure out what and it's driving me insane.

Track starts at 23:49 in this video, the bit that I'm trying to figure out what the hell reminds me of is at 24:03 exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bwPlaqFKY

I thought Payday 2 for a second? But if it was that, I can't find the track.

I wanna help you, but I can't seem to recall the other game

Only one i can help with is around 29:14, 3.1 Combat. I get serious vibes off of two songs from Frank Klepacki. One is Power, and the other one is the pre-mission song Junk, which you could hear it all if your computer was having trouble loading when the game came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K211xq5fVq0 Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdHU-DYQZo Junk

Fuckin' love the synthetik soundtrack.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hub Cat posted:

(I'd like to believe there aren't many people stupid enough to buy gifted games from randos)

Oh buddy

(the page is still up but I dont think its really a thing since 2017 when they stopped letting you buy gifts and keep them in your inventory for later)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Almost all Steam games on G2A are delivered as gifts now - what that means is that the sellers don't actually have the game "in stock", but you go on their website, get a friend request from their bot and accept it. Then they buy the game in whatever region is cheapest which still allows them to gift it to your region and send it to you directly.

But gifts like in the old days, like you could have stashed in your Steam inventory, are mostly gone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the real reason to not trust cyberpunk 2077 on inclusivity is because it's a AAA game and AAA games have endlessly stumbled on this for an eternity

the actual reason i don't intend to buy it is because it's a FPS by a company that sucks bigtime at combat in their games and just jams content into every square inch whether it's worthwhile or not, resulting in a map that has 5 billion question marks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The 7th Guest posted:

the actual reason i don't intend to buy it is because it's a FPS by a company that sucks bigtime at combat in their games and just jams content into every square inch whether it's worthwhile or not, resulting in a map that has 5 billion question marks

but enough about ubisoft

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TW3's combat is good though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

but enough about ubisoft
if ubisoft did cyberpunk it would definitely be worse, although i haven't played a FC since 4 so i dunno if the guns have ever gotten better in those

the last AAA game of this kind was mankind divided and it infamously had AUGS LIVES MATTER in its PR material so lol

SirSamVimes posted:

it's really not, not for me, it's sluggish and boring (and the game has heavy input lag on top of that bleh)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 21, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SirSamVimes posted:

...Eh. :geno:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm kind of expecting cyberpunk to have solid W3 quality main quests, but fallout 3 quality guns and world (but vibrant rather than gray)

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I remember removing the question marks from the map in Witcher 3. Can't remember if it was a mod or not. But I've learned to ignore question marks in open world games a while ago.

Cyberpunk is going to be dope.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

On the one hand the combat in TW3 was pretty bad but on the other, I feel like shooter gameplay is easier to get right than melee combat, so it's not impossible that it ends up being a fun game to play.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Excuse me, this Ray set bonus gives grenades HOW MUCH extra damage? And I can have six of these?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

Excuse me, this Ray set bonus gives grenades HOW MUCH extra damage? And I can have six of these?

that's going to be really useful for flipping houses when you can just blow the whole thing up and start over

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
TW3 combat was like a snappier Dark Souls system with the addition of a half-step dodge, it owned.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Witcher 3 transcended its mediocre gameplay by knocking everything else out of the drat park. Just straight up head and shoulders above anything I had played until then.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I never got the complaints about W3 combat. It's Batman combat and THAT was good enough for people to steal it a thousand times over. It's also Assassin's Creed combat now and apparently it's fine there.

It's probably mad cause bad poo poo, isn't it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Witcher 3 combat is not even remotely like Batman combat, unless your comparison is that they both require you to press buttons to perform attacks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blattdorf posted:

The rather underwhelming Serious Sam 4 trailer included a release date: August 2020. All the trailers and everything are plastered all over Steam's frontpage. Man, I hope SS4 will be a return to form.
It looks like a Monkey's paw wish.
100000 enemies on the screen, but you only have 4p co-op.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Witcher 3 combat is not even remotely like Batman combat, unless your comparison is that they both require you to press buttons to perform attacks.

Ok. What's different?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh I'm not a big fan of batman combat either

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It is, and its why its pretty polarizing. When you press the button to attack, the type of swing you do isn't always the same, the game picks the move that looks the most fluid and kind of snaps onto the target. This makes combat look very good but can be a turn off because you have slightly less control than you would expect. Only lower difficulties it can be kind of boring since you just mash through everything and on higher difficulties it can be frustrating because it doesn't feel fair when you do an unexpected flourish and get hit. I mean I like the combat in W3 and think its often unfairly poo poo on but I get the reason people don't like it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Maybe it animates similarly (I don't remember it doing it like the Dark Knight) to Batman combat, but Batman and (old) Assassin's Creed games and Shadow of Mordor have more in common with the counter-style gameplay.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Witcher 3 combat was loving awful. The rest of the game carried it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TW3 combat was good, but not great, and I do not understand why anyone says it's actively bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirSamVimes posted:

TW3 combat was good, but not great, and I do not understand why anyone says it's actively bad.

Yeah same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man wtf is with these whack rear end load times for the tutorials in MK11? Especially for being installed on an SSD. :psyduck: