Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, the new Maya look pretty great. They get a lot of benefits for building tall and don't / can't need to settle near a river for bonus housing. Instead all farms give out extra housing in general and more gold, and have an adjacency bonus with the science district. This could be very powerful.

EDIT: Also, testing out the early game of Gran Colombia, the extra movement point is not nearly as broken as a lot of you were freaking out about. There's still lots of rough terrain and those eat up movements points. (a unit with only 1 movement point left cannot enter rough terrain at all without those scouting abilities)

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Starks posted:

Yeah they’re doing it for the booming video game market of Colombia

Colombia's doing pretty well these days and steam added Peruvian and Colombian currency in 2015. I will die on this hill.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh god, Apocalypse mode has a few new crazy surprises. Meteors land and if you run over them you get a free Heavy Cavalry of the current era (no resource upkeep). Soothsayers are a religeous unit that can directly cause disasters. And I just got a Global Emergency called "Appease the gods" where I have to use a soothsayer to sacrifice guys to a volcano. I am not joking. Wow.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Speedball posted:

Oh god, Apocalypse mode has a few new crazy surprises. Meteors land and if you run over them you get a free Heavy Cavalry of the current era (no resource upkeep). Soothsayers are a religeous unit that can directly cause disasters. And I just got a Global Emergency called "Appease the gods" where I have to use a soothsayer to sacrifice guys to a volcano. I am not joking. Wow.

That sounds fun as heel for a casual multiplayer game

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

New Natural Wonders: Bermuda Triangle. 5 Science to adjacent tiles. Naval units that enter the tile gain a Unit Ability called “Mysterious Currents” that grants +1 Movement and are teleported to another Ocean tile somewhere on the map..

hahahahaha yessssssss

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 21, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Soothsayers are a support unit that can have a promotion kind of like Apostles or rock bands, but they're much more aggressive and bring doom and gloom. One is a combat buff to nearby units. One is "plague bearer" and that makes adjacent enemy cities besieged. Interesting.

There are also forest fires now. The forest can regrow after a while, thankfully.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 21, 2020

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vatican City has a Suzerain bonus that looks like it could be interesting if used properly:

When the player activates a Great Person, they spread 400 Religious pressure of the player’s founded (or majority) religion to cities within 10 tiles.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 21, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

EDIT: Also, testing out the early game of Gran Colombia, the extra movement point is not nearly as broken as a lot of you were freaking out about. There's still lots of rough terrain and those eat up movements points. (a unit with only 1 movement point left cannot enter rough terrain at all without those scouting abilities)

More like... Semen Boulevard

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Starks posted:

Yeah they’re doing it for the booming video game market of Colombia

Simon Bolivar's legacy is very prevalent in basically the entire northern half of SA. It's a lot of birds with one stone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Serephina posted:

basically the entire northern half of SA.

We don't go into those subforums much. The northerners suck.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Just played the Maya and had a city grow to 25 population by 1900, which I know isn't super impressive but I honestly wasn't trying that hard. Went to space in 1926. Good clean. Hilariously, Simon Bolivar was in the game as my northwestern neighbor, and he got steamrolled by my northeastern neighbor, the Zulus, so I made every overture of peace and love to be his friend the whole game. It was crazy, I don't usually see an AI civ take out another completely, usually there will be straggler cities, but Shaka was cut throat as hell. Bolivar was out by the end of the Medieval Era.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Crazy Ted posted:

New Natural Wonders: Bermuda Triangle. 5 Science to adjacent tiles. Naval units that enter the tile gain a Unit Ability called “Mysterious Currents” that grants +1 Movement and are teleported to another Ocean tile somewhere on the map..

It's weird that they've done the Bermuda triangle when it's barely a thing in public consciousness now, like they missed the boat there.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Taear posted:

It's weird that they've done the Bermuda triangle when it's barely a thing in public consciousness now, like they missed the boat there.

Are you saying the relevance of this wonder has shipped out?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Thank god meteor cavalry have been implemented. Finally.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Quick Q: Have they fixed the AI to not be a punching bag yet or is it the same ol story

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Nucular Carmul posted:

Just played the Maya and had a city grow to 25 population by 1900, which I know isn't super impressive but I honestly wasn't trying that hard. Went to space in 1926. Good clean. Hilariously, Simon Bolivar was in the game as my northwestern neighbor, and he got steamrolled by my northeastern neighbor, the Zulus, so I made every overture of peace and love to be his friend the whole game. It was crazy, I don't usually see an AI civ take out another completely, usually there will be straggler cities, but Shaka was cut throat as hell. Bolivar was out by the end of the Medieval Era.

The extra movement is a powerful bonus for a human player. Not so much for the AI as it just allows them to do one more stupid thing each turn.

The AI will probably do quite well with Maya, as they love to settle poo poo, no fresh water cities, and spam farms.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm only 68 hours into the game and I've got a science and cultural victory already, just got my first domination victory as Alexander on prince and holy moly dumping bombers at a problem just lets you spread across the continent like a virus. Late in the game the front was expanding so fast that I had multiple cities on 0 health but no nearby troops to cap it

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sounds like the patch updates are very dull but bug fixes and the most minor of changes to the AI and World Congress having a slight change is all right by me.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
forgot to turn off my mods, so as my first game of Simon Bolivar (with a great start) the first civ I meet is my nemesis, Simon Bolivar

dude was so annoying with trade request, thankfully something broke even more later so I had to restart

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm worried about Mayan production. Their start bias seems to dump you out in the plains, which obviously isn't as bad as tundra but also doesn't mean much in the way of hammers. Farms don't build spaceports, and trying to make up for it with industrial zones feels bad.

Not that this game is going badly. I mean, I'm playing on king, though. It was never going to go badly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I made my peace with the world congress after so many games. Is dumb alright but kinda works for whats is meant to

I just wish it would only start after all civs met, like in Civ 5

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm worried about Mayan production. Their start bias seems to dump you out in the plains, which obviously isn't as bad as tundra but also doesn't mean much in the way of hammers. Farms don't build spaceports, and trying to make up for it with industrial zones feels bad.

Not that this game is going badly. I mean, I'm playing on king, though. It was never going to go badly.

Buy spaceport using Reyna with Democracy for discount.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Just a heads up, the pass ($34.39 USD) and the civ pack ($8.09) are available for a bit of a discount on GreenManGaming

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The world congress pops up and says "vote to give someone a trade route and this person generates 50% fewer grievances" so I vote myself for the trade route and myself for 50% fewer grievances and it turns out there are 20 votes yet I somehow win the first vote? Then the other vote goes to someone else, but I still get 2 victory points? How am I winning a free trade route when there are 20 votes by other players almost all of whom I have not met.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's like time travel in Austin Powers /Looper, don't worry about it too much, even if we explained it'd still be dumb as all poo poo

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm only 68 hours into the game and I've got a science and cultural victory already, just got my first domination victory as Alexander on prince and holy moly dumping bombers at a problem just lets you spread across the continent like a virus. Late in the game the front was expanding so fast that I had multiple cities on 0 health but no nearby troops to cap it

In some games I do almost no military anything until I get bombers, and then I steamroll half the continent. I have never had the AI resist them with anti-aircraft guns or fighter planes. They are probably more balanced against human players but the AI will just take wave after wave of bombs with no attempt to stop them.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

The world congress pops up and says "vote to give someone a trade route and this person generates 50% fewer grievances" so I vote myself for the trade route and myself for 50% fewer grievances and it turns out there are 20 votes yet I somehow win the first vote? Then the other vote goes to someone else, but I still get 2 victory points? How am I winning a free trade route when there are 20 votes by other players almost all of whom I have not met.

I think one of the YouTube Civ 6 players delves into this. Player wins all tied votes if you were the target.

As for the victory points, you get one victory point if you vote for the winning declaration. Since you voted for yourself in the first one and won, you got the point. I assume you voted for the "winner" of the second vote so there is your second point.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Heads up: The base game is free on Epic Games Store this week. It just went live so redeeming will probably be tricky for a bit.

The Platinum Edition upgrade is $39.99 on the store. You can use the current $10 coupon to bring it down, but that's still not as good as the complete Platinum package has been elsewhere. Still, free game.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DTaeKim posted:

As for the victory points, you get one victory point if you vote for the winning declaration. Since you voted for yourself in the first one and won, you got the point. I assume you voted for the "winner" of the second vote so there is your second point.

A few pages back someone said they won an entire game by voting for themselves to lose two victory points, because they were sitting at 19 and it added in the point for voting for the winning combo before it deducted the two points.

World Congress gets a lot more explicable when you stop trying to make it make any sense as an actual world congress analogue.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I love the idea of generating diplomatic favor and using it like currency to get what you want, but also having to be careful because it can be used to win the game, but the implementation is nonsense.

There should be more interaction with actual diplomacy and victory being pushed by helping others and averting war. They got halfway there with emergencies and such but it just doesn’t work. Diplomatic victory just feels like a currency race, rather than an attempt to actually do diplomacy.

There should be opportunities to mediate peace deals, invest in projects rather than them just popping up, a BIG focus on juggling the personalities of the various other civs - want to win a diplomacy victory? You’ll have to consider skipping that wonder because China wants it and better trade your sugar to the Aztecs because they resent you for it. Norway hates us but no clue why better send some more trade routes to open up visibility. You should be able to spend diplomatic favor on establishing embassies, removing grievances, expand the whole thing. Gain them by negotiating peace or mediating disputed borders.

I dunno. Just none of this “slam all my votes into thins that target me”. Votes in the world congress should be broad reaching and affect everyone and diplomatic favor should be used convincing other people to vote or discover what result is popular so you can appease them. You should also be able to ignore the results for a massive favor / grievance penalty, depending on what was decided.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I wonder if they came up with a system that actually made sense, but was way too complex/took up way too much game time, and then it got edited down and edited down and edited down until it turned into the nonsensical system we wound up with.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

showbiz_liz posted:

I wonder if they came up with a system that actually made sense, but was way too complex/took up way too much game time, and then it got edited down and edited down and edited down until it turned into the nonsensical system we wound up with.

Well they could have just used the Civ5 system which made sense and was better in every way

I do like emergencies though

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 21, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well they could have just used the Civ5 system which made sense and was better and every way

I do like emergencies though

There's a lot of Civ6 that sometimes makes it feel like a "spiritual successor" made 10 years after the game before it. Just straight up binning mechanics that worked fine for no reason where the excuse would be "Well the people who worked on that mechanic aren't part of our project" - but surely with Civ6 they are.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

double negative posted:

Just a heads up, the pass ($34.39 USD) and the civ pack ($8.09) are available for a bit of a discount on GreenManGaming

Thanks for this.

Was feeling a little bad about neglecting telework to get my Eleanor win and now I can further neglect telework to get a Bolivar win.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Tom Tucker posted:

You should also be able to ignore the results for a massive favor / grievance penalty, depending on what was decided.

I thought this in Civ5 as well, the first time the WC banned a luxury that only I had. Like, gently caress, do you think any of you have the ability to enforce this upon me?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So this is free at Epic now. And you can also use a $10 coupon to get the platinum edition upgrade for $29.99.

I know this is a sensitive topic, but is the AI still braindead?

I know, I know, an AI is never going to beat a good player/dedicated player, but I found the Civ VI AI (when it launched) to be far worse than most. I'm not good at these games, and it just wasn't remotely a challenge.

Have they improved it significantly since it came out? I remember when it came out, the AI literally had no idea how to take cities (and basically wouldn't even try), things like that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

SlyFrog posted:

So this is free at Epic now. And you can also use a $10 coupon to get the platinum edition upgrade for $29.99.

I know this is a sensitive topic, but is the AI still braindead?

I know, I know, an AI is never going to beat a good player/dedicated player, but I found the Civ VI AI (when it launched) to be far worse than most. I'm not good at these games, and it just wasn't remotely a challenge.

Have they improved it significantly since it came out? I remember when it came out, the AI literally had no idea how to take cities (and basically wouldn't even try), things like that.

yes, the AI is still dumb

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Speedball posted:

yes, now imagine u are a unit with TWO movement instead of three. in fact, if rough terrain DIDN'T require full movement points to pass through, extra movement would actually be substantially weaker

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene
Multiplayers been much less broken lately with some Mods so have gotten back into this with teamer play mainly. Been having fun and hopeful for the new set of expo civs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

dev livestream now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlAu7ape-qQ