Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Platystemon posted:

This is literally what people are acting like. Leave every other cube in the farm empty and everyone can return to work.

A local Facebook group posted this fake "what the CDC recommends when school opens this fall" post....and boy did the locals eat it up. One example was that every student desk needs to be 6ft each direction from other desks. You'd need cafeteria-sized classrooms to do that.

We're not even going to know until mid-July what the next school year is going to look like. Currently, the three options most local schools are prepping for are:

1. Normal school year
2. Two half day rotations to limit the number in the building
3. E-learning for the majority with a possibility of LEP students attending classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I still wash my hands a lot but they're finally looking better after a couple weeks of constant washing and probably sanitizing too frequently at the beginning of March before school let out for the year. They were starting to get all cracked and nasty looking, but they were really clean.

Get you a bottle of lotion. loving a godsend for those who wash hands often.

Yes you can use it for masturbation to if you want but mainly its for caring for the dried skin from handwashing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A local Facebook group posted this fake "what the CDC recommends when school opens this fall" post....and boy did the locals eat it up. One example was that every student desk needs to be 6ft each direction from other desks. You'd need cafeteria-sized classrooms to do that.

We're not even going to know until mid-July what the next school year is going to look like. Currently, the three options most local schools are prepping for are:

1. Normal school year
3. E-learning for the majority with a possibility of LEP students attending classes

Also, we're instituting all these extra teacher hours and distance learning programs while cutting back hard on the budget because of the recession.

Things are going to be great for the kids!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

1. Normal school year

Can't say I really see the point of #2--the children would still wind up spending half their time at home, so it wouldn't solve the problem of parents needing somewhere to dump their kids while they work. And I'm not sure it would really do that much to limit the spread.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, we're instituting all these extra teacher hours and distance learning programs while cutting back hard on the budget because of the recession.

Things are going to be great for the kids!

E-learning blows for my classes. I mean, I think I've done a decent job with the material I've come up with and have been used as an example by admins in Zoom meetings with peers, but none of it really replaces hands-on experience with the machinery.

Overall, this E-learning experience has been pretty bad at our school. Depending on the class (school-wide, not just my classes), 50-75% haven't so much as checked in to most of our classes or turned anything in.

If we have to do this part or all of next school year, the schools, DOE, someone is going to have to somehow talk parents and students into believing that this is actual, real school that counts on your actual, real transcript and not a 10-week spring break like they've treated it this year.

But, yeah, it's going to be complete poo poo-show.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Can't say I really see the point of #2--the children would still wind up spending half their time at home, so it wouldn't solve the problem of parents needing somewhere to dump their kids while they work. And I'm not sure it would really do that much to limit the spread.

Also, with shrinking budgets, running busses 2x a day adds up in gas and maintenance doesn't make much sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1263208102951743488

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

1. Normal school year

Yeah, dude, it's going to be hosed.

I teach little kids and I plan to make "distance hats" that they wear in school where they'll use a yardstick on each direction of their head and make some kind of ridiculous loving cowboy hat with a 12 foot diameter brim that they wear in school. Or one of them ancient Song dynasty hats. Draw your favorite pokemon on it or whatever. Have a little fun whoohoo.

Option 2 is stupid because an infected kid is just going to give the virus to me, and then I'll give it to the other kids the next day who probably won't get sick but just pass it to their families. it doesn't even make sense. and if any kid gets sick I'm just going to blame myself, and I'm sure that downward spiral is going to be a loving wonderful mix of gin and guilt at best. The ICU and a ventilator at worst.

I coach high school sports too. One of them is wrestling. They're probably just going to cancel that outright.

As for option 3, I hear that they are making some really quick edits in my state to the laws so that schools wont get buttfucked by lawsuits that nobody could really have done anything about given the situation. And then when this is done they probably won't edit them back so that will be cool.

Man, it's going to break my heart every time I have to tell two little girls to not braid each other's hair, to tell two kids to not share a good part of a book because everyone around you is potentially a demon that can infect you.

Right now our admin doesn't know what to do, teachers don't know what to do, parents don't know what to do. I just make sure to be available for my kids and I make little videos for them that may or may not have anything to do with school. Here are my pet fish! I made an omelette for breakfast this morning! Here's how I did it, try it with your mom! The birds are out, check out this cardinal! Pretending that everything is OK for them is spiritually exhausting though.

I run lessons in small groups every day. I read part of a book to the whole group twice a week. I upload episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender for them to watch every other day because I think it has a good message that they can use in this time. I can't quite buy it but I'm a jaded miserable gently caress. Maybe they can use it.

With the weird rear end restrictions that would have to be in place and the enforcement of social distancing with little kids, which is not AT ALL good for their development, it's better to just stay at home rather than develop a fear and paranoia of everyone around them.

I don't have anything good to say about it all, and I'm sorry about that.

WILDTURKEY101 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 21, 2020

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Settle down, Beavis.

I can't remember if we're supposed to believe the CDC on the Somethingawful.com comedy forums, but this is good to see:

USA TODAY: Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC now says. But it still 'may be possible'..

Not that I'm going to start licking Amazon deliveries or the gas nozzle when I get gas once every 8 weeks, but I may back off wiping everything down as it comes into the house and go through less virucidal wipes.

isnt this just repeating the same thing that studies said two months ago? why is this news

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I don't have anything good to say about it all, and I'm sorry about that.

I think based on every other phased reopening we've seen basically nothing will be enforced and it'll be business as normal next year. NCAA is restarting all sports in a month or two.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

shovelbum posted:

I think based on every other phased reopening we've seen basically nothing will be enforced and it'll be business as normal next year. NCAA is restarting all sports in a month or two.

Cool. I will just do my best to pretend that everything is cool for my little dudes while I'm scared to death the whole time until my sanity totally breaks.

Either that or we will get absolutely hosed even worse over the summer and lock ourselves back in, which may be better.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Cool. I will just do my best to pretend that everything is cool for my little dudes while I'm scared to death the whole time until my sanity totally breaks.

Either that or we will get absolutely hosed even worse over the summer and lock ourselves back in, which may be better.

Well the states can't print money and can't afford to lock down again and the federal government says it's a state problem so lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The best we can hope for at this point is for someone else to get hard enough to scare our neighbors into compliance.

I salute Wisconsin for volunteering.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

dee eight posted:

i've done it

i've committed to not going back to work ever again

i feel...

lighter

I'm spartacus!!!!!!!!!!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I'm spartacus!!!!!!!!!!

Nice. :hmmyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Is America's testing :airquote: per capita :airquote: the best in the world? Well according to some people who claim to know what "per capita" means it might not be, but can anyone really know what "per capita" means in these trying times? It could mean anything. Or nothing! Maybe we'll never know for sure.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1263225032198836225

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
America’s testing is the best per head of llama.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is America's testing :airquote: per capita :airquote: the best in the world? Well according to some people who claim to know what "per capita" means it might not be, but can anyone really know what "per capita" means in these trying times? It could mean anything. Or nothing! Maybe we'll never know for sure.

gently caress u ignorant rear end holes, you are all literal children, Trump would own you in happiness per capita

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Also it turns out a bunch of stats were improving their test performed count by including antibody tests

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Glumslinger posted:

Also it turns out a bunch of stats were improving their test performed count by including antibody tests

Also a huge percentage of the tests were inaccurate garbage

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Also a huge percentage of the tests were inaccurate garbage

Yeah, I'm kinda shocked at how little ripple that Abbot tests being a crapshoot was

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
who can really say whether one number is higher than another number? It's all relative

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Gone Fashing posted:

who can really say whether one number is higher than another number? It's all relative

the general rhetoric is past the point of this statement being satire

I don't understand how we got here

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I remember for the past decade people in America mocking people in Asia wearing masks so frequently.

And I 100% knew for the past decade that it would break their brains if they ever had to do it themselves. And here we are, doing the absolute worst in the world by every metric.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 21, 2020

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

wash your hands wash your hands wash your hands

dont touch your face dont touch your face dont touch your face

I'm starting to think that my fabulous immune system that I regularly brag about because I very rarely get ill (I've maybe had a cold or two and a bout of norovirus in....a decade or more), is in fact not so special and it is more the fact I always keep my hands clean and washed while an apparently a large percentage of the population are happy to wipe their fingers over any public surface they come into contact with before sticking them in their face holes.

Makes me gag when I see how people treat personal hygiene at the office.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Unperson_47 posted:

I remember for the past decade people in America mocking people in Asia wearing masks so frequently.

And I 100% knew for the past decade that it would break their brains if they ever had to do it themselves. And here we are, doing the absolute worst in the world by every metric.

Yep for sure. There's an attitude here that 'the USA is the best country, bad poo poo only happens to other/poo poo countries (same thing!)', and it's just been luck so far that nothing like that has happened here. Well. Here we are.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

redreader posted:

Yep for sure. There's an attitude here that 'the USA is the best country, bad poo poo only happens to other/poo poo countries (same thing!)', and it's just been luck so far that nothing like that has happened here. Well. Here we are.

Interestingly, for the rest of the world, the US is a kind of cautionary tale about gun control, insane healthcare and murderous police.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

However I can definitely say that our numbers are clearly the best any way you look at it

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Interestingly, for the rest of the world, the US is a kind of cautionary tale about gun control, insane healthcare and murderous police.

You're welcome/appreciate the congrats.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
A shining city on a hill. Burning down so bright you can see it for miles around.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Roumba posted:

A shining city on a hill. Burning down so bright you can see it for miles around.

Thought that spoiler was going to be "corpses"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaocaholica posted:

What part of the Death Stranding story are we at?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I would have guessed we were at the "Seeing an ad for 'RIDE WITH NORMAN REEDUS' projected as a privacy screen as we watch Norman Reedus take a greasy poo poo" stage.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/JRReed/status/1263172467389894656

Its crazy how the media keeps showcasing the idiots in the other 17% because it makes fun TV and articles to laugh at the idiots. The looneys get a huge platform for their dumb poo poo, and everyone is staying home and gets ignored.

This poll of voters in swing states seems to point out that it's more than 17%

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/20/voters-divided-over-coronavirus-cnbcchange-research-poll-finds.html

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Thought that spoiler was going to be "corpses"

I think Funeral Pyre for the American Dream was already coined in the 70s or something.

If not, that great band name is still available.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

:lol: He started to answer and that lady saved him with a phenomenal wishy washy response and all he had to do was shut the gently caress up. But he wasn't about to let some Female speak for him and as soon as she finished talking he just blurts out that absolutely demented statement.

Incredible. Just literally mentally unfit to function. I can't wait to see how this gets spun. "What are numbers, really?"

In other news, a coworker of the mailman for my wife's office tested positive and she's had a cough for a while (no other symptoms), so she's out getting a roni test right now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That the dumbfuck potus has caused possibly countless deaths and yet remains unharmed is proof the concept of a just God is garbage.

Even in the face of biological pandemic he just wiggles his way out of poo poo without even being aware of it. Incredible. He needs to be studied in order to weaponize this ability.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

This poll of voters in swing states seems to point out that it's more than 17%

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/20/voters-divided-over-coronavirus-cnbcchange-research-poll-finds.html

I live in the reddest part of a general red state and attitudes seem to change based on who is in the room . Individuals will say they are afraid, but if anyone else is around it’s “overblown” .

And yes these are the same people that will tell you not to be a sheep

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 21, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bazabazon/status/1263452732041592832?s=20

finally some good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doctors-raise-alarm-about-health-effects-of-continued-coronavirus-shutdown

Has this already been posted? Right wingers are trotting out this letter signed by 600 doctors demanding we reopen. basically they are saying that Covid 19 restrictions are causing people to miss screening for deadly diseases.