Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We're going to re-open on Monday because they mayor is a libertarian shitbag insistent on protecting the precious dollars, despite the fact that we're in the middle of our first spike in cases. He's insistent that our county's numbers are only going up now that we're testing like we should have to begin with, and the fact that our hospitals aren't currently overwhelmed must mean it's all a hoax and we're safe to re-open. This is despite the fact that our governor, perhaps one of the strongest deniers of the seriousness of the outbreak, has laid out stricter criteria for re-opening that would, if followed, prohibit the actions our city is taking.

The only potential upside personally is that I've been able to negotiate a situation where I work a very small number of hours prepping and cleaning before we open and then leaving, putting me in a position where I can avoid interacting with the general public, still get some hours to help maintain my sanity, but not make enough to nullify my unemployment benefits. My hope is that I can avoid dealing with work and the public as much as possible until my son is born and I'm put on my paternity leave. Then hopefully the city gets shut back down and I can spend even more time with my family. Or the whole thing gets shut down early, no one has to risk their health, AND I get paternity time plus more, if dreams are coming true. In any case, it beats refusing to return to work and losing income entirely right before I become a dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
We now require masks at all times out of the house. This of course means all masks are sold out everywhere because of hoarders, as are all bandanas. Also you aren’t supposed to go into the store to buy that stuff anyway. It was announced suddenly and without warning when they allowed to mall to reopen.

I loving hate this place. I am honestly starting to root for the virus, except that the people who are getting hosed and going to continue getting hosed are not the people who are doing all this stupid bullshit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hotel I work at still closed for now. I know the company will do the right thing with all this after the CEO have Trump the business the other day.
I've been feeling really lovely for a month had a video appointment with my Dr she said she couldn't order a covid test based on my symptoms but I should still go to the triage trailer and get checked out.
Turns out I may just have tonsillitis or strep throat.
Yay!?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Our governor is doing a slow re-opening by region, you know, like a reasonable person might do.

Well a bunch of state representatives from around here say they're just going to ignore all this. Yay!!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't keep up with this thread, so this is probably old news, but Employee-Level ServeSafe is currently FREE online.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got a preliminary interview in a field that's not in any way related to food service, and I'm quite pleased. I'll suffer immense amounts of corporate bullshit if it means leaving the garbage farm fucks at the bar behind forever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I guess Wisconsin will be the first sacrifice on the alter of "economy". The massive rush for everyone to go out and binge drink as much as they can for the next few days/weeks will definitely have some drastic results.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

pentyne posted:

I guess Wisconsin will be the first sacrifice on the alter of "economy". The massive rush for everyone to go out and binge drink as much as they can for the next few days/weeks will definitely have some drastic results.

We opened our mall last week, and the governor finally gave up and told our counties to do whatever since they were going to anyway. We're just close enough we have people driving up from San Francisco and the bay area to go to the mall. I'm currently expecting to remain unemployed for a good while longer as we become a new outbreak, but I suppose maybe everything will be awesome and only healthy people will come here and everyone will follow the rules.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Opening bars is insane. I understand opening restaurants at 25% capacity, especially if they have a patio and prioritize service there but bars are designed to negate social distancing.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Where I'm at you're not allowed to order at the bar, but you are allowed to sit at the bar. Basically, the bar is considered "a table", and you're meant to order from your table so they can be spaced properly. So if you wanna order at the bar you first need to sit down at the bar.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Japan is slowly lifting the state of emergency outside of Tokyo, Osaka, the surrounding prefectures, and Hokkaido since the number of new cases has been coming down and staying low for a while. I guess we'll have to see what that means.

I know there were earlier concerns that the government was hiding some of the cases but it seems like things are improving. Japan's response probably wasn't the best, but they at least did something and people mostly seemed to follow the rules. I wonder when I'll even be able to go home to the US for a visit. Stay safe everyone!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Helps when 80% of the population's primary passion in life is following rules.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
They also have more hospital beds per capita than any other nation on the planet

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

pentyne posted:

Hudson wisconsin now prepares for an influx of Minnesotans into their state

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Husband works for a natural foods co-op that has a salad bar as well as a hot bar in the deli section. That's all been shut down since March; it's been all just pre-pack grab & go.

He's normally on register/floor, but got assigned to deli this week. "What're ya doing back there?" I ask, puzzled. I mean, he's got BOH experience, he's no stranger to making 25 lbs of egg salad at a time, but it seemed weird.

Turns out they're opening the bars back up, but having employees dole it out; the customers can't self-serve. Which is... good? I guess? But hoooooo-boy, I can't wait to hear the stories he'll have about kale-worshipping yoga Karens having him make custom salads for them. "Um, more chia seeds. No, more... Wait, that's too much! Now it weighs too much! Ugh, can you make another one? I'm not paying for that!"

I am sooooo glad I don't work there anymore, I would probably beat someone to death with a sack of non-GMO organic craisins by the end of the week.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yoga Karen is a good user name

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yoga Karen is a good user name

Yoga Karen is a good indie pop-ska band with upbeat melodies but scathing politically inclined lyrics

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My "favorite" Yoga Karen from when I worked there was the one who insisted that because she bought some fingers of fresh turmeric from us, we schmucks back in the deli had to run them through the juicer for her.

Turmeric root + juicer = half an hour of burning out the juicer motor so she could get, like 4t of turmeric juice out of it. And still wanted to complain, even though we just killed our juicing/smoothie operation for the next few hours until the motor cooled off, thanks to her request.

So, yeah, say a prayer for my husband.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My "favorite" Yoga Karen from when I worked there was the one who insisted that because she bought some fingers of fresh turmeric from us, we schmucks back in the deli had to run them through the juicer for her.

Turmeric root + juicer = half an hour of burning out the juicer motor so she could get, like 4t of turmeric juice out of it. And still wanted to complain, even though we just killed our juicing/smoothie operation for the next few hours until the motor cooled off, thanks to her request.

So, yeah, say a prayer for my husband.

Wouldn't that also turn the machine an incredibly bright, impossible-to-remove yellow? :gonk:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Opening bars is insane. I understand opening restaurants at 25% capacity, especially if they have a patio and prioritize service there but bars are designed to negate social distancing.

Wow I never thought of that but ... yes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've started buying restaurant equipment for my shop. Ugh, everyone in restaurant supply is dying, these poor salesmen are so thirsty. Usually its just the head of sales, because he's already laid off everyone that worked for him.

A guy called me back with a price for my scoop cases, and I told him that I was going to buy them from someone else (had to, due to franchise reasons), and I thought he was going to cry.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
permanent closings are starting to roll in

anyone who didn’t adapt to curbside/delivery still has to pay rent and the development we run out of is starting to look like a ghost town as a result

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The real CDC recommendation for social distancing is 13 feet. There was obviously no way they were going to get people to follow that, so they reduced it to 6. Everything is hosed for the next ten years. Welcome to the rerun of the early 20th century.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder when I'll be able to visit home while still being allowed back into Japan.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Just got an email that we are reopening the 1st, but nothing about any restaurants or when I personally have to go back to work. I assume I'm fairly high up the list in terms of getting called back, but maybe they aren't going to open my restaurant for awhile (very small venue with tight seating) and instead of calling me to work the other place they'll just leave me in reserve for awhile. With three layers of assorted management that I'm not sure have even seen a kitchen in person before, it's always a fun game trying to figure out what will happen next.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I wonder when I'll be able to visit home while still being allowed back into Japan.

If they'd just legalize weed I wouldn't even think about leaving.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well we're open and so are the bars here. Bossman got us all black masks, which was nice, but I'm pretty sure the thing is made out of recycled beer coozies. Its like breathing through a cheap mousepad, also its itchy as hell by the end of the shift and I'm pretty sure I'm starting to break out. I'm waiting for him to realize that his identical one is horrible but he's just plain poo poo at actually wearing the drat thing while in the dining room so it might be a long wait. Ironically we have a huge stash of N95 masks we were using when we were just doing curbside (BOH still is using these) that someone randomly gave us one day, and they're super comfy, but sadly they don't go with the blacks, so zits and the smell of yesterdays coffee breath it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Well we're open and so are the bars here. Bossman got us all black masks, which was nice, but I'm pretty sure the thing is made out of recycled beer coozies. Its like breathing through a cheap mousepad, also its itchy as hell by the end of the shift and I'm pretty sure I'm starting to break out. I'm waiting for him to realize that his identical one is horrible but he's just plain poo poo at actually wearing the drat thing while in the dining room so it might be a long wait. Ironically we have a huge stash of N95 masks we were using when we were just doing curbside (BOH still is using these) that someone randomly gave us one day, and they're super comfy, but sadly they don't go with the blacks, so zits and the smell of yesterdays coffee breath it is.

Wait, you have better masks and you can't wear them because they don't match your loving shirts? I would just grab one of those and wear it and dare the manager to call me out on it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skwirl posted:

Wait, you have better masks and you can't wear them because they don't match your loving shirts? I would just grab one of those and wear it and dare the manager to call me out on it.

If they're the kind with the vent though they're not actually better. The mask is to prevent someone who's an asymptomatic spreader (i.e. has it and doesn't know) from spreading it to others. The vent lets your breath out for an easier time, and therefore does little to no actual filtering of air you're breathing out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm lucky my mom, aged 72, is still a drat good seamstress. She is making some really nice masks for everyone at my store, several layers with-whatever-is-supposed-to-be-in-the-middle, and a cutesey pattern on the outside, to minimize the ninja effect. I've got a washer/dryer stack in store, so everybody gets a clean one for every shift, and doesn't have to take it home and/or clean it.

I'm looking out for my employees as much as possible.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

N95s protect the wearer. During the recent bushfires in Australia they sold out everywhere, because they filter out smoke. They're basically a disposable respirator. By design they have a valve so that you can breathe out more easily, and breathing out doesn't go through the filter.

They're not designed to protect others, which is what surgical masks (or wearing whatever across your mouth) is for.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sweaty cotton mask in a hot kitchen crew checking in

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

poverty goat posted:

Sweaty cotton mask in a hot kitchen crew checking in

heard that

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So first week open, saturday was packed. We were 100% ignoring the max capacity rule, which I was and am against, and just relying on tables being spaced 6ft apart. Patio was packed, so about as good of a saturday as we can hope for going forward. Sale totals were really low, like 70% of normal, and if we didn't have the patio it would have been about 30-40%. I really don't think its going to be enough and the restaurant is going to close. When? Who knows. I've got a meeting with a coding academy on Wed. Hopefully that all pans out and I either get to quit or there's not too much gap between the restaurant closing and me finding a new job. Thanks covid for the kick in the rear end I needed to become a computer toucher and get out of this miserable place.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm getting a construction job, gently caress that dumb poo poo.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
How can I become a computer toucher... And get paid

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nepotism tbqh. The work is that easy

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mike the TV posted:

Find an entry level contract position from a placement agency like KForce, Robert Half, Expedia/Manpower or Kelly Services (there are dozens of large ones).

I say this as a Senior Computer Toucher

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mike the TV posted:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Find an entry level contract position from a placement agency like KForce, Robert Half, Expedia/Manpower or Kelly Services (there are dozens of large ones).

I say this as a Senior Computer Toucher

Get your CompTIA A+ (bit of money + time) to get past recruiter filters, lay down heavy on the resume about your past experience working under pressure (with difficult customers) to still deliver excellent service, as well as your ability to prioritize multiple tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
That sounds like a great place to start, thanks guys. Touching computers has been a hobby for a long time. I have a decent savings so I have some time and money to invest. I've been in management for years and I'm pretty sure in the DC area there are a million unemployed restaurant managers and very few open jobs so this is a transition I deeeffinitely need to make