Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Benne posted:

You sure picked one hell of a week to break out these takes

Eh... this has come up before, so it's not like Randaconda's making it up out of whole cloth to be edgy (if anything, bringing it up unprompted when people weren't talking about Owen would be weirder). This forum went through a phase a few years ago of "hey, remember all these Owen stories?"/"hey, wait, these aren't as funny as I remember"/"hey, uh, maybe Owen was actually a dick to a lot of people, because many of these aren't funny to the victim, they're only funny if you're a bystander and also a dick."

Nonetheless, there are two postscripts relevant to the discussion:
a) Owen being a dick to a lot of people doesn't mean he couldn't still have been the nicest of (that generation of) the Harts, because, wow, the rest of that family is a race to the bottom.
b) Owen being a dick to a lot of people doesn't change the fact that he was killed by a terrible company run by terrible people who ordered him to do an unsafe stunt against his wishes for no purpose other than, if it had gone according to plan, making those terrible people laugh for thirty seconds.

edit: jesus this has to be my worst page snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
You might say Owen Hart was no angel...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nah man, Owen prank calling Mr. Fuji at 3:00 AM and making him storm around a hotel like Moe the Bartender totally puts him on the same level as domestic abuser Teddy Hart. No difference at all

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Randaconda posted:

Yes, he was a bully, but since he died, we're not allowed to mention the fact he was just as terrible as the other Harts.

Most of what I've read are:

- Phone pranks
- Bribing hotel staff to poo poo up someone's toilet before they check in
- Fooling Ahmed Johnson into thinking he'd be on David Letterman, so he bought a super expensive suit
- Rubbing tuna fish on his hands before a match where he had Bret in a camel clutch
- Stealing Gangrel's watch from his bag, and putting it back a few months later when they returned to the same arena
- Rubbing donut powder under his nose to cheer up Jim Ross (after he had to deal with a worker's failed drug test)
- Goofing around in house show matches
- Using a spray bottle to make Jim Cornette look like he pissed himself
- Having pigs used in a Hogpen match delivered to Vince's office
- Having cops (who he was friends with) pretend to arrest Lex Luger

The exception is putting a ton of hot sauce in Harley Race's chili, and everybody got sick, so Harley tased him the next time he saw him. And that always sounded fake.

For the most part, it sounds fairly harmless, especially if you consider the locker room feels like guys need to be hazed or hassled, getting Owen instead of JBL sounds like a fair trade.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The tuna one is amazing

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
- Stealing Gangrel's watch from his bag, and putting it back a few months later when they returned to the same arena

I can see this being absolutely annoying as gently caress but on the other hand , putting it back in the same arena is really funny as a concept.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Von Linus posted:

I can see this being absolutely annoying as gently caress but on the other hand , putting it back in the same arena is really funny as a concept.

That, and there are two parts to this:

1. Owen helped Gangrel look for his watch, which should have been a clue
2. Once Gangrel saw the watch, he had to know

There's at least one clip out there of Bob Holly catching Owen, and an article with Jim Cornette saying no one believed Owen or Bulldog half the time, so I feel like it's on you if all of a sudden Owen Hart is super concerned about a thing you just lost.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did WWE seriously consider putting the title on Tatanka during his big push?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

- Having pigs used in a Hogpen match delivered to Vince's office
This makes up for everything else

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

This makes up for everything else

The few stories I've seen where Vince was involved or present suggest he loved this stuff.

Knowing what a terrible person Lex was, this story was pretty great:

quote:

The greatest prank of all saw Lex Luger (again) fall victim to the cruel but hilarious team of Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith.

This time, the mischievous pair had become friends with two undercover police officers. After convincing Lex that the car flashing its lights behind them was Shawn Michaels playing a joke, the American hero sped into the night trying to escape the vehicle. Only when they put their siren on did he finally stop. The cops were furious, giving him a stern telling off and taking his details before walking away. Davey Boy Smith waited until their backs were turned before shouting "Blow it out your rear end!" at them. The police spun around, furious, and proceeded to ask who had been so stupid as to insult them.

"It was Lex!" said Owen, watching with glee as the big, blond wrestler was cuffed and bundled into the back of the police vehicle. Lex even stopped Davey trying to intervene on his behalf, believing he was doing him a favour! The best part? Vince McMahon saw it all go down from the safety of his limo and found the entire thing hilarious.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

quote:

cruel team of Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith.

had become friends with two undercover police officers.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Owen being friends with cops is the worst thing on that list.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Vince was probably mad that he never got to push Owen into a swimming pool, but his replacement prank went a bit too far imo.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

FunMerrania posted:

I forget which Hart it was but my wrestling teacher stayed with him. Place was filled with house flies and this Hart tried cooking roadkill for breakfast.
That's definitely Smith, the oldest brother, who died from prostate cancer a few years ago.

The impression I get between research and firsthand accounts is that most of the Harts are kind of weird but at least the non-Teddy grandkids (and holy poo poo, Teddy is 40!) are aware of and enjoy the weirdness...I think? For example, Harry's transition to dressing a lot more like Teddy raised a lot of eyebrows, but he's fully aware he looks ridiculous when he wears those tracksuits in regular public settings. It's just that after Teddy hipped him to a Mexican wrestling gear maker who made incredibly comfortable trunks etc., he decided that the guy's stuff was SO uniquely comfortable that he wanted to wear it ALL THE TIME.

Even if it meant dressing like Teddy.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Can’t remember the last time a conversation went on this long about the Harts and the pissing in the mouth story hadn’t come up yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well you had to ruin it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Reset the clock, guys.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The Ahmed Johnson one is kinda lovely I guess because it probably cost him a couple grand. And pranking someone dumb enough to believe him is really low hanging fruit.

If Vince or jr said he was gonna be on letterman and it was 100% real go buy a nice suit. Then yeah that’s crossing the line.

All those are absolutely nothing short of hilarious. Especially compared to almost every one of his coworkers and considering the environment he grew up in. The fact he never killed anyone or die from an OD makes him a success.

Also if you gently caress with Harley race expect a loving receipt. I hope it’s true just because pranksters deserve comeuppance every once in a while to keep them in check.

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 21, 2020

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

If a random guy on the roster, and only that guy, tell you you’re going to be on Letterman and your immediate reaction is to spend thousands on a suit and not... you know talk to the company first, well you’re dumb and that’s funny.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sandman McMahon posted:

If a random guy on the roster, and only that guy, tell you you’re going to be on Letterman and your immediate reaction is to spend thousands on a suit and not... you know talk to the company first, well you’re dumb and that’s funny.

In any other company, sure, but WWE? That could lead to a firing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's impossible to drink that much peepee without going for it. my monitor is off and i'm looking at the piss piss principal

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sandman McMahon posted:

Here's the story from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0O6lZrRWs

Also - huh, it was supposed to be Leno, not Letterman.

Edit: I like that Ahmed shares Bret let him know Owen pranked people he likes. :)

https://youtu.be/VyyAirdLP_k?t=805: Here's one with Mark Henry, and they pranked his mom. Finding out Owen constantly fooled his dad sounds amazing.

Red fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 22, 2020

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Red posted:

Here's the story from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0O6lZrRWs

Also - huh, it was supposed to be Leno, not Letterman.

Edit: I like that Ahmed shares Bret let him know Owen pranked people he likes. :)

https://youtu.be/VyyAirdLP_k?t=805: Here's one with Mark Henry, and they pranked his mom. Finding out Owen constantly fooled his dad sounds amazing.

Ok, I take it back, Ahmed isn’t dumb for falling for this prank. BUT he was laughing about it and saying how much he likes Owen, so I still say it was funny.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Can somebody help me figure out who was involved in a terrible storyline I vaguely remember?

It was one of the times where they were bringing a wrestler's struggles with alcohol into a storyline, and I think it culminated in them getting a bottle of liquor poured on their head/in their mouth and actual liquor was used (IIRC they didn't know about that part beforehand)

I had it in my head that it was something from the 'Drunk Hawk' angle with LoD and Droz, but I think I've got the wrestlers wrong. I know it isn't when Stone Cold poured beer all over Scott Hall.

Anybody have an idea?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Raven and CM Punk alternately did that to each other during their feud

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Maybe the James Storm/Rhyno feud in TNA circa 2007 or so? As far as I'm aware the alcoholism in that story was kayfabe, though.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

LadyPictureShow posted:

Can somebody help me figure out who was involved in a terrible storyline I vaguely remember?

It was one of the times where they were bringing a wrestler's struggles with alcohol into a storyline, and I think it culminated in them getting a bottle of liquor poured on their head/in their mouth and actual liquor was used (IIRC they didn't know about that part beforehand)

I had it in my head that it was something from the 'Drunk Hawk' angle with LoD and Droz, but I think I've got the wrestlers wrong. I know it isn't when Stone Cold poured beer all over Scott Hall.

Anybody have an idea?

Jerry Lawler did that to Jake Roberts circa-1996

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Lawler with recovering alcoholic Jake Roberts.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Raven and CM Punk alternately did that to each other during their feud

Did Punk do this in his feud with Jeff Hardy or Chris Jericho? Or neither?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Red posted:

Did Punk do this in his feud with Jeff Hardy or Chris Jericho? Or neither?

Jericho smashed a fake whisky bottle into cm punks head, except it shattered in his hand right before impact. I think it’s called sugar glass.

No way would punk let it be real whisky, and Jericho is an rear end, but he’s not gonna gently caress around with someone he probably respects as a wrestler and could kick his rear end backstage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

Jericho smashed a fake whisky bottle into cm punks head, except it shattered in his hand right before impact. I think it’s called sugar glass.

No way would punk let it be real whisky, and Jericho is an rear end, but he’s not gonna gently caress around with someone he probably respects as a wrestler and could kick his rear end backstage.

Why wouldn't he? I am pretty sure the beer they used at Death Before Dishonor is real and Punk has said he drank one beer when Harley Race told him to.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MorrisBae posted:

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Lawler with recovering alcoholic Jake Roberts.

Thanks guys!

Now that I have the answer, I'm kind of surprised I didn't think of Jake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MorrisBae posted:

Yeah, this is probably it. Roberts returned to WWE working all his drinking and substance abuse problems into story and becoming "born again" in recovery. Lawler tortured him and would poor booze down his throat. It was real gross. It was immediately preceded by the KotR "comeback" story which ended with Austin beating him and mocking him, hence the "Austin 3:16". Lawler then picked up the ball of mocking Roberts and it got way gross.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC Jake said he felt pretty violated afterwards (and rightly so)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Punk has said he drank one beer when Harley Race told him to.

lmao

"I said drink the goddamn beer."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Why wouldn't he? I am pretty sure the beer they used at Death Before Dishonor is real and Punk has said he drank one beer when Harley Race told him to.

I read it was milk:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/10/cm-punk-says-he-getting-a-harley-race-tattoo-661375/

quote:

Punk had numerous endearing things to say about Race, but his absolute favorite story looked back at a moment when Harley stood up for Punk's decision to lead a straight edge lifestyle. It included an obnoxious waitress, 20 shots of milk, and Harley Race's birthday party.

"My favorite Harley story - It was his birthday, and we were in the bar, and we're celebrating Harley's birthday. And then all of a sudden, the waitress comes up and she's got a tray of shots," Punk began. "She puts the tray down and she's putting shots in front of everybody. And there must have been, I don't know, 20 or 22 of us in the bar. It's Harley and all the wrestlers, you know? We just did a show in Eldon, Missouri and we're in the bar eating and hanging out afterwards, and it's his birthday so Harley got everybody shots. And the waitress puts one down in front of me and I said, 'Can you get me a shot of soda? Whatever you've got - Coke, Pepsi, cranberry juice, whatever. And she was like, 'Honey, Harley Race got you that shot. You've got to drink it.'

"Now, obviously she doesn't know me," Punk noted. "And I say, 'I don't drink', and she's like, 'Honey, Harley Race got you that shot.' And I say, 'I understand that but I don't drink.' And she's like, 'Do you know who Harley Race is?!' And I go, 'Do you know who I am? I just worked for Harley Race. I know who Harley Race is. I appreciate the sentiment; I guess I'll just sip my water if we're making a toast.' She's just going on, and on, and on, and making a big deal about all this stuff.

"And finally, Harley comes over and explains to her, 'Oh, he doesn't drink.' And that was the end of it, like she didn't say anything else," Punk continued. "She went, 'Oh okay, I didn't know', even though I had already told her a thousand times. Like it was supposed to be this big slight, like, 'Oh I'm not going to drink a shot'... In a second, [Harley] didn't care. He just said, 'That's Punk, he doesn't drink.' That's it, that was it and so that was the moment where I was like, 'Holy s--t, this guy respects me. How cool is that? I've made it; I don't need anything else - not money, not fame, not belts. Like, this guy was the closest thing to a living hero.

"So then I of course had to push the envelope. I felt a little bit left out that I didn't get a shot, everyone else did, and Harley toasted when it's his birthday. So, I walk up to the bar, I belly up, and I go, 'Do you guys have milk?' The bartender looks at me and she's like, 'Yeah, we've got milk.' And I go, '1-2-3-4' and I count everybody out and I go, 'I need 20 shots of milk.' And she was just like, [sighs] 'Okay'. [She] gives me the twenty shots of milk, here I come with a big platter, I put it down , everybody gets a shot of milk. And I remember Harley looking at the milk, looking at me, and then looking at the milk. And he just goes, 'Is that milk?' And I went, 'It sure is, Harley Race. Happy f--king birthday!' And nobody wanted to touch their milk until Harley picked it up and raised his glass. And everyone raised their glass, made cheers with Harley Race, shot of milk," Punk finished.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC Jake said he felt pretty violated afterwards (and rightly so)

I think he also said guys would leave bottles of alcohol in his locker and bags as a "rib" (since they didn't believe he'd gotten cleaned up).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

My mistake the source on Punk doing a shot of alcohol is Prichard. But Prichard claims Punk did do a real shot that day, but it is Prichard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The waitress was like, honey, Harley Race bought you that shot, you have to drink it. And I was like, you know he went bankrupt because he hit some people drunk-driving a boat, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Were HBK and Diesel actually called "Two Dudes with Attitude" or was that sort of a fan-given nickname like "Port Authority" for Enzo and Case?