Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Crazyweasel posted:

lol right wing talking points back on social media (I previously posted about how my chud family hadn’t posted much in a week)

positing “what if this was a terror attack? would we let the terorrists win by closing everything down? stopping are graduations and KILLING our economy for something with a death rate a bit higher than the flu?? now all terrorists need are a virus and not even a bomb!!”

crack

loving

PING

they shut down nyc over anthrax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the loving potus told people to buy duct tape and seal yourself in

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there statistically fewer out of work GOP voters applying for unemployment help, or is it about the same? Or is it more? I've wondered that from time to time.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Judging by all the bullshit we did after 911 absolutely yes

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Every classroom I've ever been in fits around 9 people in a 6'x6' space. You would have to reduce class sizes by roughly 8 out of 9 people, even running 3 school shifts per day wouldn't be enough to make up the difference in capacity.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I'm starting to get triggered by "6 feet" and "temperature checks" It's like the collective knowledge never moved on from mid-March.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

so food not bombs, but it costs money?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

NofrikinfuN posted:

Every classroom I've ever been in fits around 9 people in a 6'x6' space. You would have to reduce class sizes by roughly 8 out of 9 people, even running 3 school shifts per day wouldn't be enough to make up the difference in capacity.

the CDC guidelines are a pure fantasy at this point

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The school system where my wife works is responsible for like 200k students across the county. The class sizes even now are topping out in the mid-high 30s. There simply isn't the space necessary to cut those sizes in half and still be able to fit/bus that many kids unless they went to like a once a day schedule for a rotation of students. And then you still end up with roughly the same risk of exposure for the faculty.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

just waiting for that V-shaped recovery

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The school system where my wife works is responsible for like 200k students across the county. The class sizes even now are topping out in the mid-high 30s. There simply isn't the space necessary to cut those sizes in half and still be able to fit/bus that many kids unless they went to like a once a day schedule for a rotation of students. And then you still end up with roughly the same risk of exposure for the faculty.

if anyone is wondering why the hell american class sizes are so large, its bc theres not enough teachers. and theres not enough teachers bc it pays so poorly. turns out not many people are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on an education to start out earning 40k (if that) in an incredibly high-stress job.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/SharksOnCouches/status/1246361184514772992

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Gio posted:

if anyone is wondering why the hell american class sizes are so large, its bc theres not enough teachers. and theres not enough teachers bc it pays so poorly. turns out not many people are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on an education to start out earning 40k (if that) in an incredibly high-stress job.

Don't forget underfunding that sees teacher's pay shrink when they need to purchase supplies for their classroom.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Conde Nast says nobody is back until Sept 8th at the earliest

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

all teachers should be tax exempt. then youd get some solid candidates.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

magiccarpet posted:

all teachers should be tax exempt. then youd get some solid candidates.

The church?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

incredible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

I think I said last night :

you’d need to :

quadruple the size of schools and quadruple the number of teachers and busses

lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

euphronius posted:

you’d need to :

lmao

lmao

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
no. we should not tax exempt classes of workers. that is a stupid rear end thing that we already do too much of.

pay people what they are worth, raise taxes on the rich.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm starting to get triggered by "6 feet" and "temperature checks" It's like the collective knowledge never moved on from mid-March.

My EMS board still wants me to only wear an N95 if I'm doing an aerosolizing procedure despite good evidence that the disease warrants airborne precautions and the fact that coughing itself is aerosolizing, so like, I get it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s bigger than quadruple the size of the schools but I’m bad at math

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

no. we should not tax exempt classes of workers. that is a stupid rear end thing that we already do too much of.

pay people what they are worth, raise taxes on the rich.

can you imagine how many consultants would be lobbying to reclassify their jobs as teachers?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the funny thing is the easiest fix to american education is to “throw money at the problem” and attract enough teachers so class sizes reduce by 40-50%. even the most incompetent teachers would prove vastly more effective.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My company sent out an email saying that almost everyone (50k people globally) will be working from home through the end of September at the earliest

I'm never putting on pants with a zipper or a shirt with a collar again and I'm glad of it

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The easiest fix to American education is to decouple school funding from property taxes.
As a non American that makes my head hurt.
Give money equally to all schools and then add supplements for each child in poverty, each child with special needs etc.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

the funny thing is the easiest fix to american education is to “throw money at the problem” and attract enough teachers so class sizes reduce by 40-50%. even the most incompetent teachers would prove vastly more effective.

well throwing money at the problem isn’t great either. some of the worst urban districts have some of the highest per pupil expenditures, it’s almost like if there is maybe something outside the education system that needs fixing, and that throwing money at it via school systems is super inefficient.

a big reason folks didn’t want to shut down schools in places like Baltimore or NYC, is that it provides 2/3 of the meals during the week for kids. which IMO speaks to there maybe being issues outside what the purview of the school system.

there is also a funny joke in that the only reason free and reduced school lunches exist is because the army was tired of getting malnourished recruits.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Got a job email saying working remote but will be on site as soon as legally allowed gently caress YOU

Also teachers in Chicago, one of the biggest districts, start at 60k per new contract and make 90k after a decade (but don't really go up from there) plus pension and healthcare. But horrible parents and admin for the most part and burn out is high. The rich suburbs pay even more (one just north of me median is 100k) but it is super hard to get hired there

I think at this point it isn't teacher pay but the absolutely rear end in a top hat admins/parents that are the real problems

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Helith posted:

The easiest fix to American education is to decouple school funding from property taxes.
Give money equally to all schools and then add supplements for each child in poverty, each child with special needs etc.

The county I live in has 1.3 million people and 43 school districts, all funded by property taxes.

This clusterfuck is deliberate because it keeps kids segregated by race and income.

I lost count of the number of cool young people living in the city who suddenly decided they needed to move to the suburbs for "better schools" once kids entered the equation.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Hmm this school problem sounds bad. Thankfully we have Betsy Devos to fix it!

Her brother's private air force can drop bombs on the virus.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Helith posted:

yes but what about the precious rights of states to let minority students suffer

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The county I live in has 1.3 million people and 43 school districts, all funded by property taxes.

This clusterfuck is deliberate because it keeps kids segregated by race and income.

I lost count of the number of cool young people living in the city who suddenly decided they needed to move to the suburbs for "better schools" once kids entered the equation.

having the kids read The Color of Law in their white flight suburb was certainly eye opening

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Back in the seventies the city of Pittsburgh built a new high school in the southern part of the city, Brashear High, to test what the best way to teach an integrated student body was.

the southern white population reacted by picking up and moving 1.5-2 miles to the south into entirely different school districts, lol.

Brashear High School (Pittsburgh Public Schools): 67% black
Keystone Oaks High School (Dormont), less than 2 miles away: 87% white
Mt. Lebanon High School (Mt. Lebanon), 2.5 miles away: 88% white

White people will move heaven and earth to keep their kids from going to school with black or hispanic kids.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gio posted:

erasing poverty would help more

but your idea would be good too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

even if you halve class sizes, if kids are still
dealing with poverty it won’t help as much as it could

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

freeasinbeer posted:

well throwing money at the problem isn’t great either. some of the worst urban districts have some of the highest per pupil expenditures, it’s almost like if there is maybe something outside the education system that needs fixing, and that throwing money at it via school systems is super inefficient.

a big reason folks didn’t want to shut down schools in places like Baltimore or NYC, is that it provides 2/3 of the meals during the week for kids. which IMO speaks to there maybe being issues outside what the purview of the school system.

there is also a funny joke in that the only reason free and reduced school lunches exist is because the army was tired of getting malnourished recruits.
its the whole drat system, yeah. wrt baltimore schools or detroit schools or well lets just say it black schools, no one wants to teach there bc the needs of the students are tremendously higher and the pay and support isnt commensurate. per-pupil funding is sometimes higher but it doesnt make a difference bc the students have much much higher needs than students in richer districts.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
in my experience school was just a job you as a student never got any kind of compensation for

what im saying is open er up and back to work in the brain mines kids

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

euphronius posted:

you’d need to :

lmao

Jesus, that's like three times as many teachers.

E:^^ education should be free. Or at least the first 3 years of chosen studies if its in an area that society needs more of (whether that's trade school or doctor school or comp Sci or teacherology or whatever).

Outrail has issued a correction as of 14:49 on May 21, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

orange sky posted:

I mean kids having to go to tutoring for hours and hours after leaving school from an early age, and being excessively obsessed about grades and college entry, with parents putting enormous pressure on them to overachieve so they can join a chaebol. I can't imagine how this would be good for their mental health, it seems borderline abusive

Seniors at the Girls High School I worked at would go home at 11pm.

Grades 10 and 11 would leave around 7:00pm IIRC. Unless they were in the non-college track, and then they would leave at like 4:30 to get to a part-time job or apprenticeship that the school hooked them up with.

Classes began at 8:30 am. I would leave at 4:30

The girls on the tennis team would be practicing when I arrived. They'd be practicing when I left. When there were exams they would write their names down and color in every answer with C on their paper and then leave to practice. One girl won an international competition in India. They would simply be socially promoted to the next year. Not many people get seriously into sports in Korea, because if you do you either make it big or work at a convenience store for the rest of your life (although the girls have the socially acceptable option of marrying up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/tiedtogetherr/status/1263385067205750785