Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Honest Thief posted:

she wrote a much hyped book two years ago? a collection of essays and introspection that lauren oyler reviewed here
https://lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n02/lauren-oyler/ha-ha!-ha-ha

this was a great read and helped me contextualize this online goings on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Taking the time to explaining BDSM in your literary review was pretty lol tho

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Honest Thief posted:

she wrote a much hyped book two years ago? a collection of essays and introspection that lauren oyler reviewed here

once again my point about reading being for absolute chumps is proven correct

all these people probably read all kinds of books - carefully and with “introspection” and all it does is lead you to defend human trafficking

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

She was also the person that wrote the New Yorker piece on Chapo handling Trump's election that became more well known for its illustration. You know the one.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I take back my previous shitpost, Stav was hilarious.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kunster posted:

She was also the person that wrote the New Yorker piece on Chapo handling Trump's election that became more well known for its illustration. You know the one.

not off the top of my head, no

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
orson welles struck the nail on its head, or however its said, when he described woody allen and we just gotten worse at that particular thing; it was also the same time i felt seen because by gosh was orson ever right

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Gripweed posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/what-will-become-of-the-dirtbag-left

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Marriage is a lot like human trafficking, in that my parents have been doing both successfully for over thirty years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh yeah, that's a good one.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
That painting always distracted people from the real highlight of that article

quote:

(After meeting Texas, I had assumed that he had some Asian heritage. When I texted him to ask if I could describe him as Asian-American, he explained that he didn’t “self-ID” as such, but that he “wouldn’t be offended” if I did.)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The whole Jia affair today reminds of Alex Tizon’s posthumous essay—they couldn’t be any more different in circumstances, but both are bound by the grand narrative of diaspora. Immigration is a merciless thing, more so when white people crush you without understanding nuance.

tbh I’m so sad she had to write this today and what this could do to her parents. Maybe reclaiming their narrative will prove stronger than the doxxing

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Given that Cushbomb made fun of her for it just now, I doubt she'll have an easy time on that.

Hey he kind of started doing more streams in the house now that his neighbours told him off for it. Surprised he didn't have to do that before.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 16:44 on May 21, 2020

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

OctoberCountry posted:

That painting always distracted people from the real highlight of that article

Smh everyone knows Felix is the chapo of asian descent

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

THS posted:

once again my point about reading being for absolute chumps is proven correct

reading is good, but as a society we created this belief that the more books you read the better you are as a person in moral worth

if you go the other way in the sense that the more you read the more you realize that you are a complete and total dumbass, then it is done right

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cool dance moves posted:

strong Khazar vibes in this post

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1263498417315119106?s=20

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

당신은 당신이 연주하는 게임을 선택하지 않습니다

게임은 플레이어를 선택

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

can't believe you all are listening to podcasts that supported the loser Bernie Sanders. Why aren't the Chapo boys brave enough to support Abdel Fattah el-Sisi , a social democrat who can actually win a national election

I demand a candidate who can equally throw axes at a bar as well as a kunai nimbly tucked under a sleeve or perhaps worn as a hair ornament

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

no episodes of The Bad Days for a month, then two of them at once!

i for one am glad of it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

When the Tizon story was first published, Tolentino tweeted a bunch about how conflicted the story made her feel as a Filipino, but now I guess we know the real context.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pospysyl posted:

When the Tizon story was first published, Tolentino tweeted a bunch about how conflicted the story made her feel as a Filipino, but now I guess we know the real context.

brace rt'ed this lol

https://twitter.com/jiatolentino/status/864504787194318851

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

there was a flurry of articles back in 2018 and 19 about immigrant filipino teachers being used to break teacher unions lmao https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/05/arizona-teachers-filipino-schools-low-pay
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/us/arizona-teachers-philippines.html

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

love to use human trafficking to break labor unions

its intersectional!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

libs have no idea how to navigate stuff like this, because most of them don't even know that the Philippines were explicitly a US colonial possession for decades.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

personal essayist upset about "having" to write personal essay about her parents trafficking humans, feeling very sorry for her

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
did this jia person i've never heard of also have a filipino slave or what, i cant follow all this poo poo

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mastershakeman posted:

did this jia person i've never heard of also have a filipino slave or what, i cant follow all this poo poo

It's more that her parents paid for her college and affluent life style by mass kidnapping filipino teachers and having their family/friends back home pay off their ransom debt.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It's more that her parents paid for her college and affluent life style by mass kidnapping filipino teachers and having their family/friends back home pay off their ransom debt.

lot of people (blue checks + defenders) trying to spin this as some nefarious ICE plot too lol

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Honest Thief posted:

As always ban hetrosexual marriage, they clearly don't know how to do it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Optimus Subprime posted:

love to use human trafficking to break labor unions

its intersectional!

✅ such a clear and beautiful post, don't let those haters in your mentions get you down

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lot of people (blue checks + defenders) trying to spin this as some nefarious ICE plot too lol

"you believe ICE????"
somebody on twitter said something like imagine how lovely these teachers had it with her parents when they were willing to go to ICE for protection lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

my mom, the de Souza of my life,

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

She says they didn't have the money to do that, and I'd be inclined to believe her if it wasn't for the shifty way she avoids discussing the actual allegations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

hmm

quote:

For Tolentino, writing is a way to figure out what she thinks and to become a better person. ‘When I feel confused about something, I write about it until I turn into the person who shows up on paper: a person who is plausibly trustworthy, intuitive and clear,’ she says, finally deciding that ‘writing is either a way to shed my self-delusions or a way to develop them.’

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Yes hello, I am plausibly a good person - liberals, 1769-now

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the best argument against wealth and income inequality is the fact that the people with the least interesting internal lives are the ones who feel most compelled to write about it constantly

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/ALABSeries/status/1263558389621297153?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol matt trying to get into the grillpill lifestyle and not having a chimney starter