Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

Zion is my jam. I need a zipper pocket (all pockets zippered would be best but I am greedy) and the integrated belt is nice when they start to sag on a long hike.
Straight leg Zion is where it is at. You get the zipper pockets and integrated belt, but with a flattering fit. I like the fit better than the Brion. Only weird thing for me is the crotch vent holes, but I don't manspread very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a pair of Kühl Radikl shorts with a stretchy mesh crotch and they’re amazing. They’re a little less casual than my Prana shorts but are perfect for outdoor trips where you might want a little more durability.

For Prana shorts I have the Santiago, a more casual pair, and one of the Hybridizer, a very thin, breathable stretchy pair that are more comfortable than board shorts. The latter also has a button enclosure, real pockets front and back and a draw string inside. Perfect hot weather shorts.

I’m starting to think my limiting junk accessory has become my underwear. These bargain bag Haines cotton briefs might need to turn into merino wool or something. Goons?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig the smartwool undies, no stink after a week of use and the skin tight fit eliminates chafing, but they are not very durable. They seem to grow holes as a feature.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

it shriveled up posted:

Is there a ~$100 hydration pack that won't make me look like I'm wearing a tiny child's backpack? I'm 6'4" and around 325lbs and they all seem so tiny and the sternum strap always seems to be close to choking me.

Pretty much anything labeled a "hydration pack" is going to be only as big as it needs to be to hold the bladder. If you don't want a small pack like that, then get a daypack that has hydration bladder pouch and chuck a bladder in there.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I love merino undies, but without a synthetic fiber blend they wear out fast. Wool doesn't get soggy like cotton and doesn't get stinky like synthetic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rolo posted:

I’m starting to think my limiting junk accessory has become my underwear. These bargain bag Haines cotton briefs might need to turn into merino wool or something. Goons?

I really like exofficio underwear. For synthetics, they really do a great job at not stinking. They're the only thing I use on hiking trips.Costco had exofficio at one point which I stocked up on, they were three packs for $12, usually they're $20/pair. I bought three packs. I've found some 32 degree underwear at Costco which feel similar but are significantly cheaper, I think they were like $10/4 and I really like them.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Rolo posted:

I have bought exofficios, merino, and saxx over the years. In my opinion, merino is the best for backpacking, but durability is a real problem. If you get some, wear them for backpacking only. If you're looking for something that you can wear day to day as well, I'd probably go with saxx. Exofficio is also nice, but I've noticed the elastic in the waistband starts to go after a year or so in the rotation. That being said, exofficio is probably the thinnest and coolest option, so they are really nice for very hot trips.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
You really can't put them in the dryer. I made that mistake once and it changed the feel/performance of them. I've never noticed elastic issues in mine though. Lots of trips, daily rotation, zero wear.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Verman posted:

You really can't put them in the dryer. I made that mistake once and it changed the feel/performance of them. I've never noticed elastic issues in mine though. Lots of trips, daily rotation, zero wear.

Yeah I tried a pair and after a trip through the dryer they were noticeably ill-fitting.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Rolo posted:

Uniqlo airism is also worth a mention here

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the undies recs. I’ll keep an eye out.

Talking about REI again because I can’t stop, they’ve extended their already awesome return policy to anything bought after 3/15/2019, returnable once stores open. This is awesome for me because I bought a 30L Osprey on 3/19/2019 that I haven’t used at all because it’s too big for day hikes and too small for overnight trips.

All these mental gymnastics mean I get to shop for a new 40-50L bag this sale.

:dance: I love backpack shopping! :dance:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I compiled a wish list for the sale this week, figuring I’d aim to spend around $200-300; first tally on the wishlist has me at $850 :emo:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah never put athletic-fit boxers (exofficio, under-armor, lululemon) into the dryer. Let them hang dry, shouldn't take any time at all. Seams will bunch up if you put them in the dryer.

I really like my Prana Zion pants except that they're a little too snug fitting around my quads and the goddamn nothern ontario mosquitos bite THRU them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I don’t like my Prana shorts; they’re too baggy. Feels like I’m wearing a kilt. But jeez are my Prana stretchy pants comfy and stylish as heck.

For shorts, Eddie Bauer Guide Pro shorts are amazing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've always been a stickler on fit. I'm a slim/athletic build and most outdoor stuff for years fit like a trash bag. I LOVE the fit of my Eddie Bauer guide pants. I bought their shorts which were originally way too long when they first came out, then they released a shorter version which is just over the knee and perfect. I use their convertible pants because they're the slimmest and least offensive looking zip offs I've been able to find. I like the material a lot, its really stretchy and comfortable while staying water repellent for a while BUT Eddie Bauer could use better stitching primarily in their rear pockets. I've had to restitch nearly every pair I've had.

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

Verman posted:

I've always been a stickler on fit. I'm a slim/athletic build and most outdoor stuff for years fit like a trash bag. I LOVE the fit of my Eddie Bauer guide pants. I bought their shorts which were originally way too long when they first came out, then they released a shorter version which is just over the knee and perfect. I use their convertible pants because they're the slimmest and least offensive looking zip offs I've been able to find. I like the material a lot, its really stretchy and comfortable while staying water repellent for a while BUT Eddie Bauer could use better stitching primarily in their rear pockets. I've had to restitch nearly every pair I've had.

Huh, I'll have to check these out. I've had the same problem with a lot of outdoor wear too and it looks like Eddie Bauer is running a Memorial Day sale at the moment.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just snagged a 25 degree REI Igneo sleeping bag for 139 bucks and an Osprey Kestrel 48 with the coupon code for 143.

Good sale, good sale.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

e: n/m. gonna buy me some REI stuff.

Can I also just say that it's incredibly frustrating that rotomolded cooler manufacturers give their volumetric measurements in "cans" — I've been shopping for months and still can't decide on what size cooler because no one gives a straight answer except for "holds up to 40 beers."

FFS just tell me how many bottles is that?!?!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 15, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m surprised Yeti coolers aren’t measured in claws.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I’m surprised Yeti coolers aren’t measured in claws.

Tall skinny cans like White Claw and Michelob Ultra are terrible because they don't fit in coolers designed for standard 12oz cans. I've got a couple coolers that fit a two can stack that has its capacity cut significantly when my wife wants to take her skinny drinks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just picked up a 55qt roto cooler from Costco for $120. Coho brand, similar quality to their Cascade mountain tech. I've got a coho small soft cooler which is well made and works great. They have a huge 80qt Cascade roto cooler for $220. gently caress yeti and their prices.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This new bag moves me from cheap synthetic to duck down and holy crap this thing packs down to like a third the volume of my last bag while being rated lower and weighing noticeably less.

That rules and I wish I did this trade a year ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up a nice Nemo sleeping pad that was 25% off.

I need to sell my other 3 pads now ...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Damnit, I want to buy a new tent during this sale, but the thing keeping me back is I want to sell or donate or give away my old one, first.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Holy poo poo I ordered 2 pairs of prana shorts from the REI sale based on recs in here and god drat they are super loving comfortable.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m wearing mine now :discourse:

All those years I’ve been wearing stupid designer brands like a chump.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Damnit, I want to buy a new tent during this sale, but the thing keeping me back is I want to sell or donate or give away my old one, first.

What's the old one?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mountain Hardwear Twin Arch 2.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey folks, hope this is the right thread - I'm looking for some shoe recommendations. Not for really long hikes, maybe just a couple hours through the woods. But the thing is I like a very soft sole like a moccasin so I can really feel the ground, it's a lot easier on my ankles to be able to adjust my foot to the ground rather than having a hard flat sole that rolls my ankles around depending on what I step on, if that makes sense.

I've been using slippers for this (this was my favorite but it was discontinued) for a while but they tend to fall apart pretty quickly.

Is this a thing that anybody else does and if so can I get a recommendation for a shoe/slipper like this that won't fall apart for a while?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe those weird rubber barefoot shoes with the toes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What about literal moccasins?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I tried some barefoot sandals and didn't love them but yeah I guess I should just look for some straight up moccasins. Does anybody know of some really good outdoor ones? When I search it gets a lot of indoor slippers and stuff that's obviously not meant for puttering around in the woods.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 21, 2020

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mozi posted:

Hey folks, hope this is the right thread - I'm looking for some shoe recommendations. Not for really long hikes, maybe just a couple hours through the woods. But the thing is I like a very soft sole like a moccasin so I can really feel the ground, it's a lot easier on my ankles to be able to adjust my foot to the ground rather than having a hard flat sole that rolls my ankles around depending on what I step on, if that makes sense.

I've been using slippers for this (this was my favorite but it was discontinued) for a while but they tend to fall apart pretty quickly.

Is this a thing that anybody else does and if so can I get a recommendation for a shoe/slipper like this that won't fall apart for a while?

Sounds like barefoot trail runners are what you’re after? I’d just google them and shop around a bit, I’ve had both a couple pairs of New Balance Minimus’ and some Merrell Trail Glove 5’s, I prefer the latter but I expect you’ll want to see for yourself whether they suit your needs. Super lightweight and with a thin enough sole to appreciate the terrain, but enough rubber that you’ll have a chance with sharp rocks and whatnot.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks - looks like I have a few things to check out. Noticed the Feelmax Panka as well but those seem to no longer be available.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I never thought of suggesting them for hiking, but have you tried converse shoes? I recall the soles were very pliant when I last wore them some 20+ years ago.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Xero Shoes advertises itself for that purpose (thin soles, feel the trail, etc). I have a pair of their sandals, but I just use them as camp shoes due to light weight. I can't speak to their shoes or hiking capability, but maybe worth adding to your list of considerations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Trail Glove 4s you could definitely feel the ground but the latest model (5) added a rock plate which is universally hated. You might try the Vapor Glove or some version of the fivefingers

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

seconding the vapor glove, its barely there. xero sandals are cool and i want a pair but not for 80 bucks and they never seemed to go on sale.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Chard posted:

seconding the vapor glove, its barely there. xero sandals are cool and i want a pair but not for 80 bucks and they never seemed to go on sale.

Xero also makes shoes, which they advertise as having the same thin soles, feel the ground properties. I've never tried them, but maybe worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! Time to hit up Zappos.