Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

simultaneously horny and racist
New Rod Liddle Biography?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

apparently it tastes like Hershey Bars.
I've never eaten adipocere but the combination of soap, wax, and decay makes me imagine it tastes like Hershey Bars. Sweet isn't what I'd use.

South African Cadbury's is sweeter and dryer/more tabletty than UK Cadbury's so I'd imagine that's a case of more sugar.

e: 103 is the emergency number in Belarus and Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Turkish Delights are a far bigger outrage than Chocolate Oranges

:wrong:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neither are as bad as the one time I tried halva which was like what I imagine eating a paper wasp nest would be like.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

We had the head teacher and her guitar, and the songs were all hymns.

I used to like lord of the dance.

We had a whole music department and the head would teach all of the first 4(?) years of students music. He'd also wander off to the high street if he had a lesson gap and get pissed in the pub, then come back and throw his shoes at anybody who got an answer to a question wrong. Another one of the music teachers had absolute pitch which we'd test by doing things like kick the radiator to get a tone, which he'd immediately call out and play on the piano. He was the fun one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Neither are as bad as the one time I tried halva which was like what I imagine eating a paper wasp nest would be like.

Halva is amazing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

How loving dare you! Halva is heaven's own candy. (seriously if you don't like it try some sunflower based instead of the regular sesame based stuff, it's different enough that a lot of people like one or not the other)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Halva is great, but I can only eat it somewhere with Mediterranean levels of sun.. same for Turkish delight tbh. Love them when away on holiday, can’t really stomach them in our damp and fascist land.

Both cats are now home from the vet. Digby is drinking a lot but still turning down food; we’re just letting him chill for now. Bob went over to him, sniffed him over and even gave him a lick on the head.. then immediately hissed in his face, because Bob’s a grumpy sod.

Digby is currently sinking his claws into my wife’s leg, which is probably a good sign.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

It comes down to trust. Ordinary British workers are people who like their country, are at best live and let live to minority groups and who generally expect the government they vote for to represent their interests. They will never trust a person who tells them that actually they are less important than other people.

I suspect that literally no country’s population would vote to support strangers over themselves. This is probably where we ITT have drifted away from the British people. Objectively speaking we are right. But if we can’t get a majority behind us, who cares that we are right?
Thing is, in part because Britain has always been a bit bad at the whole national identity thing (even if that's not always a bad thing) there's never been that hard limit on voting that some countries have. Irish citizens (and afaik Cypriots and Maltese too) can vote here without restriction, and Commonwealth citizens can if they have leave to remain, so it's not like it has ever been British Votes for British People.

It's just that the whole thing was badly communicated so "Labour wants all the foreigners to have the vote so that they can vote Labour and undermine the country" got traction before the actual explanation that "people who work here but can't vote here is bad for all workers, you included."

The Conservative proposal that people who emigrate from the UK can vote in perpetuity rather than the 15 year limit never got the same degree of scrutiny, even though people who have left the UK for over 15 years likely have far less stake in the national interest than someone working here.

Have the Israeli right claimed that Israel invented the Turkish Delight like they did with shawarma?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

One class whom the law binds but does not protect, and another whom the law protects but does not bind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was astonishingly disappointed as well, because I had been wanting to try it, but it was absolutely disgusting both in taste and texture, like utterly dessicated, felt like eating a mouthful of 50/50 cornflour and tapioca starch but somehow hardended into a brick.

And yeah I hate sesame which doesn't help.

I grant that the one packet of it I was able to find in the UK might not have been a good example but it was unpleasant enough that I can't even begin to imagine how it could be improved to the point of edibility.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 21, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bobstar posted:

I used to disassemble Twixes with a knife, eat the biscuit part first, then the caramel. Then repeat with the other finger.

This is some work for a twix, was it worth it?

Reminds me of something a dude I used to work with did, he would get a marmite sandwich and then press beef flavour hula hoops through the sandwich so that a tiny little circle of it was inside the hula hoop and then eat them. Seemed like a whole lot of effort but he assured me they were delicious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He could just gargle gone off brewers' yeast.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Camrath posted:

Halva is great, but I can only eat it somewhere with Mediterranean levels of sun.. same for Turkish delight tbh. Love them when away on holiday, can’t really stomach them in our damp and fascist land.

I mean if you're eating it in Greece or Turkey then you're just swapping here for a warm and fascist land.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
chilli halloumi is possibly the most disappointing combination of two things I like I've ever eaten

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Aramoro posted:

I mean if you're eating it in Greece or Turkey then you're just swapping here for a warm and fascist land.

Fair point.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

thebardyspoon posted:

This is some work for a twix, was it worth it?

I was an odd child. But, yes.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1263460763517272066

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The real king of confectionery is those sesame seed bars. Just a ton of sugar and sesame seeds, good poo poo.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Say what you will about chocolate oranges, they never once managed an advert that managed to be simultaneously horny and racist as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAY_o36paQ0

Yeah but it resulted in this banger so there is no way to tell if it is good or bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xuedh4i_8E

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder whose loving brilliant idea it was that everyone should have degrees in the first place.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Have the Israeli right claimed that Israel invented the Turkish Delight like they did with shawarma?

Turkish Delights have somehow not really made their way to Israel, possibly because Israeli Arabs and Palestinians already have a far superior dessert in Kanafeh.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 21, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Fun fact, he's just as smug in real life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I especially like that the solution to the overavailability and commodification of degrees is to invent a new kind of qualification that can be arbitrarily witheld.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Miftan posted:

Turkish Delights have somehow not really made their way to Israel, possibly because Israeli Arabs and Palestinians already have a far superior desert in Kanafeh.

See also: baklava and basbousa.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The way I've always eaten Halwa is to mix it with lemon juice and sort of make a paste of it. Maybe that's just a regional thing though?

If you're eating it dry you really need to have it with tea or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I heard there was a war about the superior desert in Israel.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I heard there was a war about the superior desert in Israel.

There wasn't, Israel only has one desert :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going with superior as in "big"

Also is there a reason it's a different colour on the Israeli side of the border on the satellite image? Like even the duney bit is like.. a dark grey colour. Looks like sea coal on the beach almost.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 21, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I especially like that the solution to the overavailability and commodification of degrees is to invent a new kind of qualification that can be arbitrarily witheld.
And thus was born the Masters.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also is there a reason it's a different colour on the Israeli side of the border on the satellite image? Like even the duney bit is like.. a dark grey colour. Looks like sea coal on the beach almost.

I imagine the Israeli side is higher def aerial photos and the egyptian side is lower definition satellite images? With more detail it would probably look darker.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Also is there a reason it's a different colour on the Israeli side of the border on the satellite image?

Probably survey flights done at different times - can't imagine either side of the border is happy with a plane repeatedly flying back and forth over it. Speaking of, looking forward to seeing myself lying on a hammock in the back garden in the next update to Google Earth (I assume that's what the plane that was buzzing around yesterday was doing).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wondered that but it doesn't look like a photographic difference, the photographic oddities are visible on top of it. Wondered if it was some sort of agricultural project from the farms to the north.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@31.101483,34.3317247,14178m/data=!3m1!1e3

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing I can think of off the top of my head, but I haven't been to the Egyptian border since the late 90s.

OwlFancier posted:

I wondered that but it doesn't look like a photographic difference, the photographic oddities are visible on top of it. Wondered if it was some sort of agricultural project from the farms to the north.

There's not a ton of agriculture there fwiw, so it seems unlikely. Could just be pollution since the area is more industrialised?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I assumed you were going for a Negev/Judaean Desert thing. The Negev is definitely in Israel, the Judaean Desert's location is subject to some lively debate.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think it might be a difference in time of day the photos were taken, as the Egyptian side has shorter shadows coming off the dunes, and a difference in cameras.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Definitely taken at different times, so different shadow lengths - if you zoom in and out the darkness on the Israeli side changes shape presumably as different resolutions of photos from different flights are loaded in. Google does an absolute shitload of work to blend the satellite and plane photos and sometimes it gives weird results.

e: The Egyptian side seems to be *considerably* higher-resolution than the Israeli side, too - maybe Israel aren't keen on open-source 30cm resolution photography being available on their side of the border, for... some reason...

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 21, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah the Israelis are definitely stopping higher-res coverage on their side of the border - the divide is sharp enough that I'm assuming it's from telling Google not to publish it rather than just stopping the flights themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Someone set the United Nations Security Council Resolution on Israel to low.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Someone set the United Nations Security Council Resolution on Israel to low.

:getout:

I assume Google have now fixed the weird thing they used to have where when they were requested to lower the resolution in one position they had to raise it somewhere else, which meant there was a patch of a village somewhere in Africa in perfect 30cm resolution the exact size and shape of the US Naval Observatory building (the VPs official residence) in DC because Dick Cheney didn't want people to see all the dead bodies piled up outside his window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:getout:

I assume Google have now fixed the weird thing they used to have where when they were requested to lower the resolution in one position they had to raise it somewhere else

:psyduck:

Is that, like, because of some kind of demonic pact or is there a more mundane technical reason?

Or is there some sort of law of google maps pixeldynamics?