Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SirSamVimes posted:

TW3 combat was good, but not great, and I do not understand why anyone says it's actively bad.

Agreeing with this, it can be a bit too "swoopy" at times which can be frustrating but I don't get the outright hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirSamVimes posted:

TW3 combat was good, but not great, and I do not understand why anyone says it's actively bad.

Same.

It takes some getting used to, but once you understand how it works it's pretty fun, if not very challenging. The only fight I remember having trouble with is like that melee in the tournament in Blood and Wine. To get the best reward, you basically have to do it without getting hit, so you have to be way more careful with dodging that usual.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So looks like W101 Remastered is not dropping in Aus til July. Well gently caress you too Platinum guess I'm not bothering with it. No Steam page, but that's the date retailers seem to be listing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jamfrost posted:

Maybe it animates similarly (I don't remember it doing it like the Dark Knight) to Batman combat, but Batman and (old) Assassin's Creed games and Shadow of Mordor have more in common with the counter-style gameplay.

But W3 has identical parries and counters too.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Det_no posted:

Ok. What's different?

I'd say the defining characteristics of Batman combat are an almost Guitar Hero-like rhythm where you're pressing buttons with the right timing to build a combo streak, and enemies that are very numerous and aggressive, but have incredibly blatant "press button to counter this attack" prompts, with the counter always perfectly snapping to the enemy without requiring you to do it the moment before the attack lands or anything like that. They both do a similar thing where they'll automatically pick different attack/counter animations to look cool based on the layout of enemies, but in the Batman style it feels like much more of a purely cosmetic difference; it'll almost never pick a "bad" animation that fails to connect because the enemy moved weird or something.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

explosivo posted:

That Crucible game published by Amazon went live a bit ago. I played a round of their Battle Royale thing and it feels pretty janky but not terrible I guess? I need to spend some more time with it. It really feels like they just took five popular games and made them into one game though, there's so many clear "influences" from similar titles in there.

it has some cool mechanical ideas but it is soulless and while it's functional the gameplay doesn't have any impact to make it feel actually satisfying, the sound design and poo poo is way off

~gamefeel~

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I really enjoyed the combat vs human opponents in Witcher 3. At least on Blood & Broken Bones difficulty, it really captured the sense of "I dramatically outclass these schmucks but will still absolutely eat it if I put a foot wrong", which I liked a lot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not going to make a 3-hour video about gamefeel but the combat in TW3 always felt off to a degree that I normally reserve for B-tier Eurojank games. Really good combat systems or even just kinda serviceable ones generally do a pretty good job at making your character "stick" to the world and whatever monster you're fighting at the moment. They do a thousand little tricks to accomplish this, whether through satisfying camera shake, tasteful slo-mo or microzooms to focus on the action. In TW3 it always felt like Geralt was gliding all over the place, like he was hovering an inch or two above the world and sliding from opponent to opponent instead of the actions feeling as if they had weight on their own. All the pirouhetting around and decapitation cutscenes just made me feel like the controls were laggy and unresponsive rather than super cool or w/e. It's also a very easy game and there's about 100 hours of fighting, so it becomes kind of mindless. But not a fun kind of mindless like Diablo 3, just slow.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Morter posted:

One more try

It's not super casual honestly, as almost all wipeout/f-zero remakes these days. It's super fast and you need to get used to the tracks/mechanics even with the lowest speed classes. Definitively a complete different experience as Burnout or other more casual games you can have fun with right away.

I found it lacked a bit of feedback and the track design was a bit all over the place in terms of colors, but I played it last over a year ago. It's not a bad game but maybe not what you're looking for.

What I can recommend however is Wreckfest which is pretty good overall and hits the sweet spot for me between having to actually drive good and casual racing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is the DLC in AC: Odyssey worth it?

Thinking of giving it another shot since I learned you can turn off the enemy level scaling. The Gold edition is on sale + the EGS coupon would make it very cheap (under £20 for the lot).

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Triarii posted:

I'd say the defining characteristics of Batman combat are an almost Guitar Hero-like rhythm where you're pressing buttons with the right timing to build a combo streak, and enemies that are very numerous and aggressive, but have incredibly blatant "press button to counter this attack" prompts, with the counter always perfectly snapping to the enemy without requiring you to do it the moment before the attack lands or anything like that. They both do a similar thing where they'll automatically pick different attack/counter animations to look cool based on the layout of enemies, but in the Batman style it feels like much more of a purely cosmetic difference; it'll almost never pick a "bad" animation that fails to connect because the enemy moved weird or something.

Hm. Can't say I remember ever missing any attacks by virtue of animation priority but I did always make a point of using lock on, because W2 didn't have one and that sucked. I should probably redownload the game and check.

I do think a lot of you guys missed the red glow of enemy healthbars that shows when you should parry/counter though.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

MZ posted:

Thinking of giving it another shot since I learned you can turn off the enemy level scaling. The Gold edition is on sale + the EGS coupon would make it very cheap (under £20 for the lot).

Are you saying you tried Odyssey before and gave up? Then I would say skip the dlc and get it later on if you have a miraculous change of heart. Odyssey is a long game and the dlc is essentially more of the same.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Are you saying you tried Odyssey before and gave up? Then I would say skip the dlc and get it later on if you have a miraculous change of heart. Odyssey is a long game and the dlc is essentially more of the same.

If it's just more of the same I might leave it then and go for the base game.

Yes, I tried the free weekend but the enemy scaling (so that they always match your level) really put me off. I only later found out that it could be turned off so willing to try it again. I used to really like AC games but haven't played one since Black Flag.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MZ posted:

Legacy of the First Blade is a bit dumb and is essentially another cult-hunt, with a silly marriage and baby bit. You get a flame-thrower for your ship, though.

Fate of Atlantis is better, with three interesting new environments, but it has a lot of Layla segments and is pretty much just more of the same but with new, annoying enemies. There's some interesting plot lines in the second of the three new areas, but none of them really go anywhere.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Troubleshooter continues to be really good but it's also really WEIRD in a lot of ways. Like how you can get access to masteries (think of them like equippable skills) for classes none of your characters can actually access. I guess these are futureproofing for future characters, but it's still very irritating to see this drat Negate Enemy Counters mastery in my inventory and have absolutely no way of using it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dmboogie posted:

it has some cool mechanical ideas but it is soulless and while it's functional the gameplay doesn't have any impact to make it feel actually satisfying, the sound design and poo poo is way off

~gamefeel~

This sums up my experience with it pretty well too. It feels like they mashed inferior versions of like five games together to make this game but never bothered to make it actually fun to play.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's see if someone can help me out here: I was playing Synthetik with a fellow goon (which is loving fantastic, btw), and there's a... passage? in one of the in-game tracks that sounds super similar to something else (like 95% sure it's from another game involving shooting), but I can't figure out what and it's driving me insane.

Track starts at 23:49 in this video, the bit that I'm trying to figure out what the hell reminds me of is at 24:03 exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bwPlaqFKY

I thought Payday 2 for a second? But if it was that, I can't find the track.

First of all: hell yeah Synthetik. I absolutely love that game (still trying to prestige all classes at least once). As for the question - I want to say it sounds like a Payday 2 but I can't quite place it, at first I thought Sirens in the Distance or Evil Eye but after listening again to both of those it's neither.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm no expert but as someone who mainly sticks to games for their drat good combat, TW3 feels worlds apart from 'Arkham-like Combat'. Games with (good) Arkham-like combat not only reward good 'rhythm' as noted before, but also give you the opportunity to wail on enemies once you at least get past defenses. It allows you to execute a good streak once you identify where enemies are weak, and to bounce between enemies as well as be evasive, allowing yourself to get around enemies with these inputs. Pulling these off and getting high combos rewarded you with faster attacks that were harder for the enemies to defend or recover from. It had momentum. A good example of this working well are the Middle-Earth: Shadow of [Blank] series.

TW3's combat was serviceable but it was much more slow and punishing by having you only pull off 2-3 hits at a time before enemies and especially monsters invariably able to counter attack, or magnetize them to you in a way that they WILL hit you once they initiate an attack, no matter how far away you are (One of the most frustrating things to me was how enemies would lunge at me from off screen like a loving missile if I was dealing with their buddies). While there are dodges and parries in TW3, I felt like they were not always reliable. And of course, there was much more reliance on oils, spells, and items/gadgets.

Most importantly, I got the impression that combat wasn't very encouraged in TW3: going around picking random fights would come at a loss because you wouldn't reliably get loot or pickups from the random encounters in game. Seeking out monsters didn't make sense unless you were completing a bounty or exploring a (level-appropriate) loot-cave, so any consumables spent would feel almost wasted when you could have saved them for a harder fight. Conversely, the other games encourage you to pick fights with groups and control them by not just pummeling one at a time, but bouncing between them, keeping your combo up, and finishing them off in sequence. Essentially you were buffed by combat.

There's nothing bad about liking TW3 combat but it is clearly more tactical than rhythmic and Arkham/Shadow of Mordor systems. There's a deliberate slowness to it and methods to punish you if you try to wail on anyone that's mildly close to you in level.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm having a shitton of fun with Asscreed: Syndicate lately, I burned myself out hard on the series by the time of Unity (Cause I was a big moron that 100%'d all of them up to and including Black flag) but Syndicate is really fun. I'm excited to play Origins and Odyssey eventually since they are more RPGlike from what I heard but Syndicate is just a really well done " classic" AC.
Jacob is such a toolshed and it owns, Evie is cool. The map for the best armor being locked behind a paywall (or very slow ingame ways to get currency) is lame as gently caress though.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 21, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Speaking of Arkham combat, I would love it if they made a Nightwing game. His combat rooms in Arkham City were an absolute blast, I must've spent dozens of hours just doing score attacks. I loved the dual eskrima clubs, can't really think of another game that has a weapon quite like that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I had a dream that dragon's dogma was 4$ and I spent an entire day trying to convince people to play it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i make dreams come true, i will play dragons dogma

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

i make dreams come true, i will play dragons dogma

Thank you

It's still the only game (I think) that your character's height/weight impacts the gameplay. Which is wild and awesome. Like not in a huge way, but still!

Also it's significant to me because it was the first game I ever played with a character creator flexible enough to make, well, me. Tall and fat and in a realistic way. It felt really cool to see myself in a game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There was that one multiplayer shooter where'd you become big/small based on damage and could access different parts of the map depending. Think I heard it was kind of rear end though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fargin Icehole posted:

I wanna help you, but I can't seem to recall the other game

Only one i can help with is around 29:14, 3.1 Combat. I get serious vibes off of two songs from Frank Klepacki. One is Power, and the other one is the pre-mission song Junk, which you could hear it all if your computer was having trouble loading when the game came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K211xq5fVq0 Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdHU-DYQZo Junk

Fuckin' love the synthetik soundtrack.

Azran posted:

First of all: hell yeah Synthetik. I absolutely love that game (still trying to prestige all classes at least once). As for the question - I want to say it sounds like a Payday 2 but I can't quite place it, at first I thought Sirens in the Distance or Evil Eye but after listening again to both of those it's neither.

2 months from now I'm gonna wake up in the middle of the night and just post the name of whatever the hell song I'm thinking of without any context because I'll be afraid that digging through my posts to quote the original one will take too long and I'll forget. :v:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zIy5xQJSg

:discourse:

J
Jun 10, 2001

dmboogie posted:

~gamefeel~

That's the same impression I got from some of the preview videos they showed and watching a few people stream it recently. It just looks and sounds so wimpy.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Assassin's Creed Odyssey was very fun but it overstayed its welcome bigtime. I finished the main quest after 85 hours, I completed the Lost Tales of Greece free postlaunch content, but I could not find the motivation to continue hunting the remaining cultists or get into the Atlantis questline (the first episode was enabled on my account). The main quest ended rather abruptly and was disappointing as hell, but I'm sure that doing the cult stuff I'm skipping gets you the more satisfying ending. I'll tell you what, watching the Ghost of Tsushima gameplay while doing a playthrough of Odyssey made GoT look lackluster as gently caress, I feel like I just played the game early.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

The Joe Man posted:

TW3 combat was like a snappier Dark Souls system with the addition of a half-step dodge, it owned.

This is exactly how I describe it, the additional half step made enemy and monster whiffs so good looking.

I played mostly sword and relied very little on my signs. Can't understand why people say it's bad or atrocious.

Fun Times! posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey was very fun but it overstayed its welcome bigtime. I finished the main quest after 85 hours, I completed the Lost Tales of Greece free postlaunch content, but I could not find the motivation to continue hunting the remaining cultists or get into the Atlantis questline (the first episode was enabled on my account). The main quest ended rather abruptly and was disappointing as hell, but I'm sure that doing the cult stuff I'm skipping gets you the more satisfying ending. I'll tell you what, watching the Ghost of Tsushima gameplay while doing a playthrough of Odyssey made GoT look lackluster as gently caress, I feel like I just played the game early.

For sure. I bought into the double XP, and beelined straight to the story, with about maybe dozen side quests. Clocked in at about 56 hours and the main quest was pretty abrupt.

Last one I played was black flag and there was at least a good ending to it

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 21, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Witcher 3 has a mod that gives you full control over attacks and camera: Disable SoftLock Targeting. Example vid from the mod page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1959hkgMQ

Never used it, though I did use Enhanced Targeting to get better control with the vanilla system.

Ghost Mode tightens up all of the gameplay and makes the combat tight so that you don't get completely OP and have to pay attention without going all tryhard. It is one of the best mods I've played for any game, especially since it doesn't make the game into something else - it preserves vanilla feel while just, um, tightening everything.

I think the change I liked best was to the itemization and loot tables so that you no longer got completely random drops in every broken box like Dimeterium Plate from the first burnt hut I checked in one playthrough. Instead, the good gear drops from the chests at the end of major dungeons and quests. So you both no longer check every single container you come across and look forward to the containers at the end of major events. Gear has better progression and she added tools you can buy to level up gear if you want to stick with something you particularly like.

I did a full, all DLCs, do everything play through with it on B&B difficulty and it stayed a fun challenge all the way through.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

A lot of people spam the attack buttons instead of timing them and don't realize the game is punishing them for it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Geralt does stuff like spin around randomly leaving you wide open to get hit. Thing is the game would be totally different if combat were like exciting and super fun and skill testing because then you'd be excited to kill people which isnt really the tone of the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

Thing is the game would be totally different if combat were like exciting and super fun and skill testing because then you'd be excited to kill people which isnt really the tone of the game.
Lol, that's the dumbest excuse I've seen

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No Wave posted:

Geralt does stuff like spin around randomly leaving you wide open to get hit.

No there's nothing random about the animations in the combat. It's all 100% predictable based on the button timing, type of attack, and distance to the enemy you're targeting. The game is just really bad about showing when you've messed up a combo chain so it seems like Geralt is executing some random move.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1263488136321142784

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Cheap rear end Gamer indeed

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They should had make it $2077.00

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually Geralt is supposed to suck to control so that you spend more time playing cards.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

2000 credits to get on the system, very cyberpunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The laggy, unresponsive controls are symbolic of Geralt's growing irrelevance in a world no longer in need of witchers, fuckwads.