Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Danishes or, if you're ambitious, kringle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Rub it in your hair for a daring new style!

Can't be worse than my current quarantine haircut.

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. Guess I'm gonna do some baking.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Rub it in your hair for a daring new style!
You'll make lots of buzzing stripey new friends!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Creme anglaise is so damned good and goes great with berries (and also presumably old boots because I would eat anything coated in creme anglaise)

I'll probably end up rolling with this, thanks! Creme anglaise good to go if I make a day or two ahead of time?

Also recipes called for straining it but didn't say with what. Any thoughts?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

I'll probably end up rolling with this, thanks! Creme anglaise good to go if I make a day or two ahead of time?

Also recipes called for straining it but didn't say with what. Any thoughts?
Yeah it should hold fine for a few days at least, but tastes best in the first day or two imo. Push plastic wrap down on the surface of the custard so it doesn't form a film on the top. I strain through a fine mesh strainer. The straining is to remove any little bits of egg that might have cooked on the bottom of the pan and isn't super critical. Add a splash of cognac or dark rum and vanilla off the heat if your recipe doesn't already call for it. Some recipes call for milk, some for half and half, some for cream-all are fine it just depends how rich you want it (very rich, obviously).

The recipe in Julia Child is good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Thursday is my wife's bday and I have a decent dinner planned out on her request (SV beef short ribs, pan sauce, twice baked potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts with some sourdough rolls as a starter).

For a cake she asked for "some combination of angel food cake, berries and cream"

I don't have a trifle dish or else I would make that.

So, I'm definitely gonna make an angel food cake and could just top slices of that with berries in whipped cream... or, I could do something more interesting. Any ideas on that? I can also whip up some dulce de leche, lemon curd, etc. I have a fair amount of options. Berries include strawberry, raspberry, blackberry. I don't need to use all of them in the preparation. Just looking for some options to consider.

A sabayon is quick and easy even though it sounds fancy. You can use anything to flavor it.
Place I worked before we would do a champagne
Sabayon over fresh berries for a brunch dessert and people loved it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I made a sabayon form a German weissbier once and it was p deece

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't know poo poo about cooking, but I made this cornbread recipe today:

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal

It was way too sweet for me, but the color, texture and crust were perfect. Am I gonna gently caress it up if I omit or greatly reduce the amount of sugar next time? Do I need to replace it with something else?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lester Shy posted:

I don't know poo poo about cooking, but I made this cornbread recipe today:

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal

It was way too sweet for me, but the color, texture and crust were perfect. Am I gonna gently caress it up if I omit or greatly reduce the amount of sugar next time? Do I need to replace it with something else?

Serious answer, if you can get it buy the Jiffy Corn Muffin box mix. It's usually about as cheap as the cost of the individual ingredients and it comes out great every time. I made cornbread from scratch a few times that was good, but now I just keep a couple boxes of Jiffy around. It's basically just premixed dry ingredients and you and milk and eggs to it.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

That Works posted:

Serious answer, if you can get it buy the Jiffy Corn Muffin box mix. It's usually about as cheap as the cost of the individual ingredients and it comes out great every time. I made cornbread from scratch a few times that was good, but now I just keep a couple boxes of Jiffy around. It's basically just premixed dry ingredients and you and milk and eggs to it.

I was going to suggest this too. Cornbread is so simple I don't know if there is any advantage of making it from scratch, and plus, Jiffy is not too sweet.
I just remembered, I had a cornbread once that was made with sour cream and onions .... It was amazing. I wonder where that recipe is

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jiffy is great, I usually keep some on hand, but if you want to make it from scratch, bust out the buttermilk.

You can reduce sweetness by reducing the sugar AND substituting some corn meal for some wheat flour. Reducing the sugar shouldn't change the texture, but big changes in the flour mix absolutely will!
While wheat flour is super consistent, corn meal comes in all kinds of grind sizes and textures, so this will have the biggest effect on texture.

You can try Alex's recipe with a cup of flour and a cup of cornmeal; as long as you use the same corn meal as you did the first time, the texture should be similar.

1 1/4 cups coarsely ground cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/cast-iron-skillet-corn-bread-recipe-2012669

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

princess_peach posted:

Jiffy is not too sweet.

I like JIffy a lot (I even like their fake blueberry muffin mix), but my scratch cornbread is definitely less sweet then Jiffy cornbread.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Squashy Nipples posted:

I like JIffy a lot (I even like their fake blueberry muffin mix), but my scratch cornbread is definitely less sweet then Jiffy cornbread.

I will definitely try that, I can't eat dairy so I'll need to substitute out that. Thanks for sharing

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My cornbread recipe is as follows:

1 cup cornmeal (fine, course, white, yellow, whatever. Even masa works).
1 cup white flour
1 egg
A tablespoon or so melted butter or oil or something
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 tablespoon sugar
Enough buttermilk to make a batter

Mix, pour into a greased dish or heated cast iron or something. Bake at 400 for like half an hour or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

It's chill, it's easy, and the point is that it's cornbread - do whatever the hell you want.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I use Mr. Wiggles' recipe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have home made buttermilk, which seems a little thin for fry battering. Is there something I could add to it to thicken it

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Cornstarch slurry would work great there, I'd think.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
If you have it, I'd go with yogurt to thicken buttermilk. Or Labneh. Or sour cream.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's about time I get a torch. I see a lot on Amazon in the $20-30 range, any recommendations? Does it matter if it's butane or propane? I want something with a serious flame, not a glorified lighter.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd say thicken with powdered milk or powdered buttermilk if you have it, which I recommend you should! Not for liquid uses but for baking.

For baking, adjusting sugar will affect texture:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-serious-eats-guide-to-sugar-syrup-honey-natural-sweetners.html posted:

When used in baking, sugar's attraction to water interferes with structure builders, such as gluten, creating a more tender and moist product.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's about time I get a torch. I see a lot on Amazon in the $20-30 range, any recommendations? Does it matter if it's butane or propane? I want something with a serious flame, not a glorified lighter.

Get a Bernzomatic MAPP torch. Preferably the ts8000. Don’t bother with those little butane or even propane torches. Get that one and never be disappointed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Seconding the TS8000.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I have home made buttermilk, which seems a little thin for fry battering. Is there something I could add to it to thicken it

I'm curious--is this home-made cultured buttermilk or whipped and separated (from cream) buttermilk? Probably a tangent for this thread but I'd be really curious about making my own.
The only time I've done stuff like that is just adding acid to dairy for baking when I need gas. It'd be real cool to vizzle or leave some cream on the fridge top to ferment. All the searches I can do act like they'll show you what to do when really they're substitution recipes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Real buttermilk from churning is not acidic enough a lot of the time to be interchangeable with cultured. I mostly use it to enrich dough.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We have bread flour, and we have various ground up gluten free powders, like masa, semolina and cornmeal. Is there a proportion I could mix these to get something resembling regular flour for baking?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What are you trying to bake? You could prob just use the bread flour and not notice any difference in a lot of things.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cake

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
An arepa is a type of cake.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It's clean out the fridge/pantry day again. I have a jar of roasted red peppers and plenty of pasta. I also have some garlic and onion chevre from a local farm. I was thinking of making this recipe but sub chevre for the heavy cream. I have some kale and shrimp in the freezer for some fiber and protein. Good idea? Bad idea?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is 'chevre' the new 'bleu' in the genre of Americans unnecessarily adopting French words for foods that are not actually French?

To answer the question, I'm sure it would taste ok but depending on the consistency of the cheese it's not gonna act the same as the cream in the recipe. Plus shrimp and goats cheese sounds awful.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 20, 2020

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:shrug: probably. Maybe I’ll crack open a bottle of California champagne to drink after my pasta

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm making overnight steel cut oats in a Zojirushi. I load it at around 9-10PM, and it starts cooking at 6AM.

Is there any safety issue with putting milk in it at night? It's ~organic~ whole milk if it matters (which I believe is pasteurized at a higher temperature or something). If so, would another milk, like oat milk or almond milk be okay, and if so, which do people recommend?

e: I'm not married to cow milk, it's just available

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 21, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

what are some ways to make my fried rice more like what i get at the cheapo chinese place? i want some comfort food, and what i made for breakfast tastes okay, but it's got an unpleasant oiliness even though i only used a little oil; it's like it is just coating the grains instead of penetrating them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

More heat, always more heat. At home it's hard to get a wok hot enough, if you have a cast iron pan that may actually work better. Let it get hot as all gently caress before you start.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get portable propane dealios that have the possibility of getting hot enough. also the outdoor grill, if you have one

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

darn, probably not going to be able to swing that on these ancient electric burners then. maybe if i get really desperate i'll dig out my whisperlite stove and try that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kenji did a dealio on this, here

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-food-lab-for-the-best-stir-fry-fire-up-the-grill.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chard posted:

darn, probably not going to be able to swing that on these ancient electric burners then. maybe if i get really desperate i'll dig out my whisperlite stove and try that

Yeah, you're not going to be making proper Chinese fried rice on that.

However: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/kimchi-fried-rice-kimchi-bokkeum-bap/ will taste fine without a jet engine burner.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm making overnight steel cut oats in a Zojirushi. I load it at around 9-10PM, and it starts cooking at 6AM.

Is there any safety issue with putting milk in it at night? It's ~organic~ whole milk if it matters (which I believe is pasteurized at a higher temperature or something). If so, would another milk, like oat milk or almond milk be okay, and if so, which do people recommend?

e: I'm not married to cow milk, it's just available

It breaks the rules of food safety and I can't recommend you do it. That said I used to do it all the time when I ate oatmeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i used to do butter. i am a fatass tho