Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, I'll be recording today, so let's go and close the poll.

Turns out the tendency I saw early has stuck, as left won over right with 20 to 13 votes. We'll eventually see what that choice brings us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

New crime scene, new investigation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Okiura has to have a router for their Wintry Fish

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012
I know the section is supposed to be pronounced "yoh-dai," but just looking at it, I can't help but read it as "You die."

Anyway want to also parrot that the update schedule has been a-okay for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I feel like the obvious twist here is that Ota was the one in the costume.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

I was initially thinking this was the obvious twist too, but it doesn't seem in-character for him from either timeline to cut out Iris's eye.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I mean, he was making sock puppets to defend A-set against to make himself look good

But yeah that seems a little too obvious

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dong Quixote posted:

I was initially thinking this was the obvious twist too, but it doesn't seem in-character for him from either timeline to cut out Iris's eye.

clockwork chaos posted:

I mean, he was making sock puppets to defend A-set against to make himself look good

But yeah that seems a little too obvious

You're just not thinking Uchi enough. Try this one on for size: Iris instigated this whole thing to paint herself as a victim to try and get the heat off her for Renju's murder. Ota, being completely devoted to Iris, goes along with it without questioning it.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Sindai posted:

The framing of the stream is definitely convenient for Ota if that were the case. But what about the other killings? There's nothing directly linking him to those. Sure, Mizuki called him to the first crime scene with her, but that is likely a coincidence. Not to mention he was the one who called it in to begin with, without which it might have taken a long time for the crime to be detected.

However, Ota's does come up fairly often. He seems to always be near trouble. As they say: Where there's smoke, there's fire.

TheMcD posted:

You're just not thinking Uchi enough. Try this one on for size: Iris instigated this whole thing to paint herself as a victim to try and get the heat off her for Renju's murder. Ota, being completely devoted to Iris, goes along with it without questioning it.

We've seen in other routes that Iris is manipulative at times and not entirely right in the head. The question is: Is she really crazy enough to remove her own eye to throw off police? I suppose you have to be a little crazy to be a serial killer, so it's not impossible.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Let's finish this new phase of our investigation by dropping in at Matsushita Diner and checking in on Ota in the hospital. We get some major information this time!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I'm with Date here. I was starting to lose patience with Ota at this point. How did he even get a hold of that thing?

Iris driving the victim's car alone after the time of death? Now that's suspicious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, his family situation helps explain why Ota is so fanatically dedicated to Iris.

Digging out her eye and stabbing himself in the gut is some next level printer carrying.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, it’s looking like Iris got Renju and Ota tried to get Iris, I just can’t suss out why. Brain tumor and obsession to the point of wanting to be a hero?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's time to Psync with Ota. Will we get the information we need to blow this case wide open?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

This game isn't pulling any punches on Ota. Though it's hard to feel sorry for him, since he kinda made this whole scenario possible in the first place.

Speaking of hits... That's an interesting looking knife the bear's got.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can actually point something out here: Ota quotes a lot of Kamen Rider in his Somnium.

"The heavens call! The earth cries out! The crowds roar! All calling on me to strike back against evil!" is a quote from Kamen Rider Stronger.

"Those who don't fight won't survive!" is a Ryuki quote.

"Awaken the soul!" is an Agito reference.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was thinking it was Ota's mom in the bear suit from the moment it showed up, and the clues seem to suggest it more and more. I guess the question is whether she was aware of it or not, and also whether Ota knew. Maybe she has a killer alternate personality that Ota is fully aware of and he goes around trying to stop her, or maybe he manipulated her into doing it to make himself look good.

My other wild speculation is that Iris had already lost her eye before.

Really wild speculation: This is entirely taking place in Date's head or some meta-Somnium. He is the cyclops killer, and this is a simulation trying to force him to own up to it, or reveal his victims.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

The "It Was All a Dream!" twist. what a classic

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

This somnium is a nice breather after the mindfuck that was Iris' latest somnium. Too bad those times make you wanna cry instead, though :v:

McD, I think your polling was too ambiguous this time. Going to the left side of the room brings us to the right path and vice versa. It'd probably be better if the choices are green/red like what the game told you, but :shrug:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

1234567890num posted:

McD, I think your polling was too ambiguous this time. Going to the left side of the room brings us to the right path and vice versa. It'd probably be better if the choices are green/red like what the game told you, but :shrug:

I mean, you say this as someone who's already beaten the game. For someone who hasn't played through the game, all my polls bar the "believe Iris" one were just as completely ambiguous as to what the result would be and that was the intent.

The fact that everybody was flying blind this time wasn't a bad thing. The entire idea is to replicate the decision making a first time player would have with two choices that you can't really distinguish what they do but have to decide on regardless. If anything, my other polls weren't ambiguous enough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

1234567890num posted:

your other left

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

TheMcD posted:

I mean, you say this as someone who's already beaten the game. For someone who hasn't played through the game, all my polls bar the "believe Iris" one were just as completely ambiguous as to what the result would be and that was the intent.

The fact that everybody was flying blind this time wasn't a bad thing. The entire idea is to replicate the decision making a first time player would have with two choices that you can't really distinguish what they do but have to decide on regardless. If anything, my other polls weren't ambiguous enough.

That's fair :hmmyes:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Everything in this Somnium was kinda... dot-matrix-printer-y.

Like a comic book.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Do you know what time it is? It's "get yelled at by Boss" time!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Date... needs sleep.

Gotta wonder whether Ota saw Aiba looking around after Date collapsed though.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We got yelled at by Boss a lot. Seems to be a constant in all timelines :j:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

With Date having gotten a forced good night's sleep thanks to falling unconscious, we're now ready to continue the investigation, armed with our new information. This video also gets a good bit heavy at the end, just so you know.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Yikes.

Sadly not an uncommon tale for many children. The fact that Mizuki has become so well-adjusted in spite of all that is a testament to her character and Date's caring (if somewhat eccentric) guardianship.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

...I cried, just a little bit. That kind of thing almost never happens with a video game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AweStriker posted:

...I cried, just a little bit. That kind of thing almost never happens with a video game.

you ain't seen nothing yet

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mizuki. :smith:

I didn't go right side first back in Mizuki's Somnium, so at first it seemed like a normal family Mizuki was in. Then I finally got to this route and this segment was a bit of a shock.

Course this meant for me that the right side's reveal was less of a shock, though no less unpleasant.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AweStriker posted:

Yeah, this scene hit me like a brick. I thought it would go by more easily the second time through. It didn't.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

More investigating with Mizuki, less depressing this time. We get a major development in the case, and Date finds his new passion as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why would you show the true ending this early?!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ah finally, a happy ending.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

That's some drat strong meds he's on. "I left my eye behind and became a carnival worker" is a pretty unique plan of action.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Date finally gets a date :woop:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

This time, the case goes from about a 40~50 to full 100.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

The killer is So. Raise your hand if you saw this one coming.

I really feel for Boss here. She clearly wishes she didn't have to go along with this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

NeverHelm posted:

The killer is So. Raise your hand if you saw this one coming.

I certainly didn't. We still don't know much about So, but he hasn't struck me as the type to dress up in a polar bear costume and livestream a murder.

I do wonder though. You noted earlier that the knife Ota was stabbed with has a floral pattern, so it's probably Mayumi's, and the game even gave us a nice closeup of it afterwards. There's also the package of candy that suggests that Mayumi was at the warehouse. That's still unexplained, and Mayumi's dementia makes it impossible to question her. We also haven't been able to talk to Iris, and there's an interval of several hours where Ota had no contact with her -- what happened to her during that time?

It's also interesting that it was Pewter specifically who analyzed the DNA from the cigarette, rather than the anonymous forensics lab that handled the blood at the warehouse. Perhaps I'm just being overly paranoid, but I can't help but notice that in the other branch Iris was also kidnapped and taken to the warehouse, and Pewter was responsible. Can we actually trust his analysis, here?