Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

otoh power commanders are really nice and easy to use. the hardest part is getting a source for good maps (or lol, trying to make your own)

Yeah just tough poo poo if you haven't got one of the 20% of bike models they actually make one for.

Or if you haven't got $600 plus installation, when new pilot jets cost like $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If Renaissance Robot's bike is EFI, and he just lost the baffles, and didn't modify the airbox, it's probably ok to just run. Looks like an old bike though so maybe old EFI isn't as forgiving as new EFI.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's from 2011.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So because KTM gonna KTM, the hydraulic OEM clutch slave in the super-cheap new-to-me 450SX has a slight crack and is leaking, leaving me with no clutch. I am certain this happened when the PO tapped the unit for a larger bleed nipple. Does anyone have experience with the Oberon units? They are reasonably priced and look bolt-on.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 20, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So because KTM gonna KTM, the hydraulic OEM clutch slave in the super-cheap new-to-me 450SX has a slight crack and is leaking, leaving me with no clutch. I am certain this happened when the PO tapped the unit for a larger bleed nipple. Does anyone have experience with the Oberon units? They are reasonably priced and look bolt-on.

lol what a mong

but yes. they are very good. rekluse I believe also makes one and I know powercell makes an adjustable slave, but that may only be for the LC8s

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Is that actually a KTM part or did they OEM it from Magura like most of their hydraulics

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jazzzzz posted:

Is that actually a KTM part or did they OEM it from Magura like most of their hydraulics

It’s Magura. Dude I got it from even gave me a bottle of Magura Blood - he told me he had trouble with the clutch and told me about the bleeder “repair”. I was a little annoyed today but I guess that’s what happens when you buy a bike for thousands of dollars cheaper than it should be priced at. Everything else on the drat thing looks tidy enough.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

I saw these pics in whatever thread they were in before but somehow the connection didn't register in my garbage brain. That is loving impressive. Did that thing get a total rebuild or just cam and rockers and back into service?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

If Renaissance Robot's bike is EFI, and he just lost the baffles, and didn't modify the airbox, it's probably ok to just run. Looks like an old bike though so maybe old EFI isn't as forgiving as new EFI.

It'll make it run leaner, but there's a long way between a bit of a poppy idle and so lean it'll melt pistons. Iirc it's a w650 so it'll barely matter at all.

It’s Magura. Dude I got it from even gave me a bottle of Magura Blood - he told me he had trouble with the clutch and told me about the bleeder “repair”. I was a little annoyed today but I guess that’s what happens when you buy a bike for thousands of dollars cheaper than it should be priced at. Everything else on the drat thing looks tidy enough.

I've seen a guy put that stuff in his Ducati 748 clutch circuit because it had clutch on the bottle, that was fun to explain.

Like why bother printing DOT 4 ONLY on the loving cap?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Like why bother printing DOT 4 ONLY on the loving cap?

That reminds me, my running bike has “DOT3 only” on the reservoirs, but I was thinking about swapping in the suspension/brakes from the parts bike and it’s reservoirs say DOT4. If I install the newer front/back braking systems but keep the old reservoirs do I swap to DOT4 and ignore the old dot3 labels? Why is it so important?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's fine. Just higher boiling point. Just no 5 (silicone).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

But DOT 5.1 is fine for DOT 3 or 4 brake systems. Just not 5. Not confusing at all

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

They break even on new KTMs and yes people replace them with an Oberon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not typically into debadging things or having everything blacked out but I saw a 650 with the decals removed on YouTube the other day and I thought it looked MUCH cleaner so I did the thing.

Before:

After:

I’m super happy with the clean look. Kawasaki and Ninja can stay — not nearly busy enough to warrant my attention.

E: That’s my striped shirt reflecting, not a scuff on the fairing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I like the clean look. The bodywork has enough going on that it doesn't need the decals, too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That looks incredible. 1000x better than before. And of course you have to leave Kawasaki and ninja on there because they belong and are two totally rad words.

It looks like an angry shark now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Martytoof posted:

After:

I’m super happy with the clean look. Kawasaki and Ninja can stay — not nearly busy enough to warrant my attention.

So much better. It's a nice shaped bike.

I looked into getting my CBR1000 wrapped in Martini race colours last year, it would be £450 from a place in the UK which doesn't seem too steep. May look into that again post apocalypse.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

This weekend: GL1100 gets tires and I get to rebuild and paint some brake calipers. Maybe some shocks. We’ll see.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aspencatte

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Just snagged a used PC8 for my Africa Twin, made by a guy in japan who sells some cool electronic bits for Japanese bikes. Think less positaps and more sumitomo/OEM connectors.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

The battery on the AT is in a fairly tight and pain in the rear end location to get to. This device gives you a fused breakout box that you can put under the seat, with 6 ignition switched circuits and 2 always on. Comes prewired and hooks up to the factory wiring to control the relay.

Will make my future electrical wiring a lot more straightforward, and easy to replace fuses.

Heated hear, grips, and a phone/device charger will get hooked up first.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

On my 1994 Kawasaki 250 Ninja:
I took apart the carburetor, cleaned everything in Barry's chem dip and rebuilt it with new jets et al. I used an All Balls kit.
It seemed to get the job done, but not sure I'd recommend. Little things like the needles not having any adjustment to them. They are set to the same depth as the stock needles. I'll see how they do, if I'm not happy with them, the stock needles are still in good shape so I'll swap those back.
Didn't replace the diaphragms as they are in good shape.

It starts, idles, and revs fine (after I got the throttle cables put back on the correct way).
I'll give it a test ride soon to see how it does under load. However, I have a slow leak in my rear tire, so I probably should diagnose that before anything else.
The thought of riding with that at 7 psi just doesn't sound safe for some reason.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Just snagged a used PC8 for my Africa Twin, made by a guy in japan who sells some cool electronic bits for Japanese bikes. Think less positaps and more sumitomo/OEM connectors.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

The battery on the AT is in a fairly tight and pain in the rear end location to get to. This device gives you a fused breakout box that you can put under the seat, with 6 ignition switched circuits and 2 always on. Comes prewired and hooks up to the factory wiring to control the relay.

Will make my future electrical wiring a lot more straightforward, and easy to replace fuses.

Heated hear, grips, and a phone/device charger will get hooked up first.

I think one of the goons either sold a bike to him or bought one from him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

nadmonk posted:

On my 1994 Kawasaki 250 Ninja:
I took apart the carburetor, cleaned everything in Barry's chem dip and rebuilt it with new jets et al. I used an All Balls kit.
It seemed to get the job done, but not sure I'd recommend. Little things like the needles not having any adjustment to them. They are set to the same depth as the stock needles. I'll see how they do, if I'm not happy with them, the stock needles are still in good shape so I'll swap those back.
Didn't replace the diaphragms as they are in good shape.

It starts, idles, and revs fine (after I got the throttle cables put back on the correct way).
I'll give it a test ride soon to see how it does under load. However, I have a slow leak in my rear tire, so I probably should diagnose that before anything else.
The thought of riding with that at 7 psi just doesn't sound safe for some reason.

I did the carbs on my 87 with the existing diaphragms and it's working fine. I did get a carb kit from carbjetkits.com because they have a calculator, their kit had: "two Main jets size 112 , two Pilot jets size 35 and 1 shim for each Slide Needle". I did install the washer shim on each needle.

Since I have a 1996 parts bike set of carbs (88-07 carbs instead of my 86-87 ones, different size), I ordered some cheapo aliexpress kits that include new diaphragms, I haven't installed them yet. When I run the same calculator from carbjetkits.com it says "two Main jets size 108 , two Pilot jets size 38 and 1 shim for each Slide Needle", conveniently that's what's included in the aliexpress kit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

gently caress this thing and gently caress bleeding this clutch. The Oberon unit is very nice but this process is annoying.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 23, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

back bleeding is the only way to do it imho

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

right arm posted:

back bleeding is the only way to do it imho

How do you do it? Syringe with fluid through the bleeder?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yep. you can get them off amazon for around $20 or so. I did mine awhile ago for fun and yeah back bleeding is the only way to do them

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

right arm posted:

yep. you can get them off amazon for around $20 or so. I did mine awhile ago for fun and yeah back bleeding is the only way to do them

I should probably rebuild/replace the master while I’m at it. I’m out here bleeding the system and the master is wet...

Any way to know the bore size on the MC by looking at it? 06 450 SX with Magura clutch MC

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 24, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it’s gonna say, it will be on the body of the master cylinder somewhere. Unfortunately it’s a complete crapshoot which MC’s have the stamp and which don’t, even within the same brand.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I should probably rebuild/replace the master while I’m at it. I’m out here bleeding the system and the master is wet...

Any way to know the bore size on the MC by looking at it? 06 450 SX with Magura clutch MC

I’d check the seal on the cover first depending on where you’re seeing wetness. you really just want to put the cover on, insert the screws, and get them just barely tight

I unfortunately know not enough about ktm dirt bikes as I mostly raced hondas when I was younger

might wanna check out advrider. someone over there is bound to know

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Did the rocker arm update & valve clearances on the 690, replaced the leaky o-rings in the comp valves on the forks, tidied up the wires post emissions bullshit removal, and did some other odds and ends. Gonna throw a tune on it in the morning, do the 15 minute idle thing and go putt around.

Still need to throw some brake pads at it and probably should pick up some syringes to reverse bleed & flush everything.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got the other thing out of my exhaust. It's uh, not exactly what I expected:

Drills did nothing but a chisel went through the collar like butter. The other end seems to have been press fit into a ring baffle deeper inside the can, as it came out with only some wiggling, no slide hammer needed.

Given that it seems to be just a length of steel pipe with a flange I might actually be able to inexpensively replace them, which I'd prefer to do if possible as the noise without is both loud and piercing and not particularly pleasant. I probably won't bother unless the neighbours complain though, since I ride with earplugs anyway and the noise disappears behind me once I get going :effort:

e/ I should probably buy some better drill bits at some point.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 25, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Turns out if you have a pinhole leak in the hose coming off your bleeder, it can still suck air in and make bleeding a disheartening nightmare. I discovered said pinhole when I used a syringe to try and back bleed the system, and a pressurized jet of Magura Blood hit the swingarm.

Currently the clutch has pressure and disengagement.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Turns out if you have a pinhole leak in the hose coming off your bleeder, it can still suck air in and make bleeding a disheartening nightmare. I discovered said pinhole when I used a syringe to try and back bleed the system, and a pressurized jet of Magura Blood hit the swingarm.

lol that sucks, but finding what your real issue is is such a good feeling :D

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ok well I started off this three day weekend with the single goal of taking the purple GL1100 out around the block. In order to do that safely, it needed:

* tires, which are in my living room
* brakes, including complete caliper rebuilds
* rear suspension to not be bottomed out

I spent all day Saturday not doing any of this poo poo, I helped my mom build a gazebo in her back yard. It looks magnificent.

I did not get to a tire shop at all, so there’s still $140 worth of rubber decorating my duplex. The front alone on my SMT cost more than that. I read complaints about parts prices in these threads now and chuckle.

All three calipers needed rebuilding. I bought a gaudy loving gold paint kit for the calipers with the
money I saved by not buying a not-piece-of-poo poo. The rear piston is hopelessly stuck. Whatever. Got the two front ones sorted, and took the lid off of the master cylinder.

Three bolts broke off in the cylinder. The piston is rusted into the casing. gently caress. Well I could fix it with a rebuild kit, I could tear down the GL1000 for its MC, or I could order one for ...$20.

Ok, no tires and no brakes. Shocks? Well, I guess soaking the assembly and air valves with PB Blaster on and off for a few weeks helped, as did using the real air compressor that’s worth more than the bike to fill the shocks, instead of using the battery powered portable one I keep in my glove box. Shocks are holding.

I’m 1 for 3 and I realize that all three calipers are the exact same single-pot Nissins. Pull a front, throw it on the rear. Rear master cylinder? Works. Bleed it.

1.5/3.

gently caress it, air up the rotted rear tire, call my family and tell them I love them (well, text), strap on every piece of gear I own and go.

IT LIVES I just had it around the neighborhood but it loving lives and I lived it’s almost there it’s so close

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Glorious.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah I love that bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Haha I'm going to play a joke on someone.

I normally find purple offensive on some genetic level but it is perfect on this. My guess on that rear caliper is if the piston is stuck the aluminum may be corroded to the point where it's not worth attempting to clean up. Should be some cheap replacements on ebay considering you can buy a whole goldwing for $800 right now?

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Finally was able to get to my girlfriend's '72 CB750 that winters at her dad's barn. The battery was pretty clearly done for last year so we dropped a new one in.
Starts just fine now.

Also doing some repairs on the fairings of the '94 Kawasaki Ninja.
That Regular Car Reviews episode on the 90's Ninja where he talks about how it's a great starter bike and they've all been laid down at some point and the fairings will be broken and cracked and the turn signals replaced with flush mount and they'll be carbon fiber and the brake levers too?
Every single bit of that is 100% accurate for mine when I got it.
I've been slowly patching the cracks. Nothing show ready. Just returning some integrity to them.
Waiting on a new fuel filter and air filter also, then good as new (kinda).

Also waiting on new spark plugs for the '78 GS750.

But at least the gang is back together: