Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i think that I'm just going to give up and become a hermit in the woods if regular people start walking around all day with ar glasses so that they can do the internet all the time. that's my limit for some reason, don't know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want glasses that hide women’s cleavage and ankles from my pure gaze

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pram posted:

uses iphone 12 pro cameras, comes with a caddy for your iphone that you put in your shirt pocket

leaking this screenshot from the promo video

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mustache required as a glasses calibrator

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

:hmmyes:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

itwombley

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Management posted:

fusion drives are pretty drat good if you get the one with a sufficiently large ssd. for most normal people, their entire working set will fit easily in 64 gigs and they’ll never notice the hard drive.

unfortunately there’s no way to know how big the ssd component is because Apple doesn’t advertise that. it varies by models but also by disk size. so research it and don’t buy the one with the smaller ssd.
this attitude about "ordinary" users that gently caress heads like the management are supposedly above explains everything about apple over the past five years.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Amethyst posted:

this attitude about "ordinary" users that gently caress heads like the management are supposedly above explains everything about apple over the past five years.

this is just disappointing. with a little bit of research you could have found a much better post of mine to melt down about.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1249498425537605632

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ios 13.5 with MASK AWARENESS has dropped publicly. seems to work as intended. basically defaults to passcode immediately if you cover your mouth with your hand to test it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you've noticed your expensive laptop with non-replaceable internal storage spinning its fan like crazy lately it's probably just busy trying to wear out the ssd as fast a possible:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cloudphotod-going-crazy-with-cpu-usage-disk-writes.2209412/

it just works

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

r u ready to WALK posted:

If you've noticed your expensive laptop with non-replaceable internal storage spinning its fan like crazy lately it's probably just busy trying to wear out the ssd as fast a possible:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cloudphotod-going-crazy-with-cpu-usage-disk-writes.2209412/

it just works

icloud on windows does the exact same thing. I had to disable it and only sync manually

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

infernal machines posted:

i too am curious how you build an augmented reality device that has no mechanism for augmenting reality

camera dongle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

god loving damnit icloud is janky as hell

piece of poo poo refuses to log out

aargh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FMguru posted:

alleged leak of deatils about apples upcoming ar headset

"no camera" is an interesting decision

$499 (with non-prescription lenses) is an interesting price point

so what does it do

when the apple watch came out i justified buying it as a fitness tracker. it did a thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is there no way to just manually remove all trace of an apple id from a user account?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Carthag Tuek posted:

is there no way to just manually remove all trace of an apple id from a user account?

for future reference, this worked at long last:
https://appletoolbox.com/cant-sign-in-into-music-or-tv-app-on-macos-catalina-heres-why/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao. that is some linux-rear end bullshit

just open a command prompt, elevate to root and run an rm -rf command

be sure you don't mistype!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

lmao. that is some linux-rear end bullshit

just open a command prompt, elevate to root and run an rm -rf command

be sure you don't mistype!

oh yeah i did it without root or sudo & i moved files to desktop instead of deleting them

im not sure it would even work with, cause `killall` only hits your own user's processes and those two run under your user

e: i guess root can kill all processes. anyway its not needed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love that it's still internally called MobileMe

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

it just works

wait why has my dock process written 500GB to disk?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

well its gotta dock it somewhere

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's five hung docks somewhere

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

oh maybe it was that rotating wallpaper thing I had for a while. jesus why did it need so much data

https://downlinkapp.com

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DuckConference posted:

oh maybe it was that rotating wallpaper thing I had for a while. jesus why did it need so much data

https://downlinkapp.com

quote:

WHAT’S NEW

Fixed an issue that was causing non-active cropped images to be downloaded more frequently than needed.

Gonna just hazard a guess that this software might not be well-written

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apple: tries to kill the concept of a file, kills kids AP tests instead https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/20/21262302/ap-test-fail-iphone-photos-glitch-email-college-board-jpeg-heic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Senior Dave Spencer took a demo test before his Calculus AB exam to make sure he understood the process for uploading photos. He Airdropped an iPhone image of his responses to his Mac and tried to convert it by renaming the HEIC file to PNG. Changing a file’s extension does not guarantee that it will be converted, but Spencer was still able to submit the demo test with no problem.

Spencer used the same process on the real exam and thought it went through, but he received an email the next day saying the files were corrupted and that he needed to retake the test.

Everly Kai, a senior in British Columbia, had the same problem with Computer Science A last week — she attempted to rename the file to JPEG and received the same email a few hours after submitting her test.

This kind of poo poo is why I hate when people say that the kids these days are all automatically computer literate because they grew up with smartphones.

AP computer science exam and the student doesn't know the difference between a file format and a file extension. Christ

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah i immediately thought of your stories when I read that part lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
probably about the same amount of people are computer literate today as in the late 90's. I think what most people forget that computer literacy also requires you to be interested in learning in it and most people find computers dull as poo poo. having little computers in your pocket that can show entertainment doesn't make actual computers any more fun.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i worked at the tech help desk in the library during university and many times saved papers and theses, the only copy of which was on a tattered floppy disk missing the dust shield

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
one chrome tab open and my mba is hitting 85℃ and sounding like a jet engine, thanks timb

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's the sound of your data being harvested, op

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Soricidus posted:

one chrome tab open and my mba is hitting 85℃ and sounding like a jet engine, thanks timb

masochism should be bannable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vomik posted:

probably about the same amount of people are computer literate today as in the late 90's. I think what most people forget that computer literacy also requires you to be interested in learning in it and most people find computers dull as poo poo. having little computers in your pocket that can show entertainment doesn't make actual computers any more fun.

computers suck poo poo and tbh I hate them

I shouldn't have gone into comp sci at all. I used to think computers were cool and interesting, but I only see them as a tool now.

it's what you're trying to accomplish with the garbage machine that's the interesting part

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

computers suck poo poo and tbh I hate them

I shouldn't have gone into comp sci at all. I used to think computers were cool and interesting, but I only see them as a tool now.

it's what you're trying to accomplish with the garbage machine that's the interesting part

god i hate how everyone in this forum posts like this. computers are loving amazing dude, every time the thing even turns on it's like 10 miracles all at once

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you don't every once in a while have a moment looking at your phone of thinking "jesus, how the gently caress does this thing WORK" then how were you ever interested enough in this subject to pursue it in the first place

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my phone is a unix system op

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

and don't tell me you already know how it works, you don't. maybe superficially, you know the general architecture and what to google if you wanted to learn more, that sort of thing. but you could spend a lifetime studying any one aspect of it. and you're stuck at home with nothing to do. find something to learn! find your motivation! and quit ah bloo bloo blooing about "ugh i wish i chose another career, this one is too lucrative"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

yos is a miracle of human ingenuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't care how it works, op

it's a p o s