Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hate talking with earbuds in so that's not a great solution for multiplayer games imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

eke out posted:

Yeah, I don't really see the need for a more complex mounted over-the-ear solution when good quality earbuds exist for reasonable prices (and they don't make your already-hot headset even hotter to wear)

Earbuds are uncomfortable for some people, and I actively despise the kind you have to plug deep into your ears.

They also cut you off from the outside world a bit too much for VR, when against-the-ear speakers like the Deluxe Audio Strap's give you a better balance of immersion and someone asking for your attention from the next room.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Tip posted:

I got an Index and the increased FOV is almost entirely vertical, which was kinda disappointing. I really would have preferred a wider FOV instead of a taller FOV.

I was also disappointed by the lenses, they do not handle high contrast scenes well. I get big blotchy bright blurs around the perimeter of my view, it's more distracting than any god rays I've gotten on other headsets.

Getting the Index really made me appreciate what an amazing value the S is at $400. It stacks up really well against a $1000 headset, I find the visual clarity very similar and really the only big dings against the S are the poor audio and no IPD adjustment. But you can fix the audio for about $30, and I have a very average IPD.

I probably would have returned the Index and just stuck with the S if I was spending my own money, but my company bought me the Index for development.

I can agree on Index's poor contrast. I tried to play five night at Freddy's, and it looked like dog poo poo. That is my most wanted thing for the next generation of headsets. For resolution it's decent enough. If I want to play a game with no screen door, I can just eat a couple of grams of shrooms. Psilocybin is natures anti-aliasing. Playing jet Island on shrooms is :krad:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

I hate talking with earbuds in so that's not a great solution for multiplayer games imo

I use em for VRchat with a mod mic. Its great. I'm going full blown youtuber my dude.

(I realize this isn't helpful for like, quest people. pcvr master race, or whatever)

eke out posted:

Yeah, I don't really see the need for a more complex mounted over-the-ear solution when good quality earbuds exist for reasonable prices (and they don't make your already-hot headset even hotter to wear)

For 2 years, I've swapped around headsets, and tons of audio solutions for VR.

I moved to earbuds on my vive pro recently because i'm lazy and picked up a mod mic and didn't wanna wear over the heads anymore.

Its hilariously great. IDGAF if i had an index, id still rip the headphones off and shove earbuds in.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The quest mic seems fine to me. When I've set it to playback it seems to be a reasonable volume and not hideously garbled like earbud/headset mics usually are

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

This fapped guy is super annoying.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I have a really good pair of headphones (Beyerdynamic's DT990 Pros) and some pretty decent earbuds (Shure 215s) but I've never felt compelled to put either of them on while playing with the index. The speakers really are quite good.

I can't comment on microphone quality though. I'd have to somehow record myself using it vs the yeti sitting on my desk and I'd probably have to grab a copy of audacity or something :effort:

e: strapping a boom arm onto my headset so I can hang a loving 3lb USB mic by my face

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marxalot posted:

I have a really good pair of headphones (Beyerdynamic's DT990 Pros) and some pretty decent earbuds (Shure 215s) but I've never felt compelled to put either of them on while playing with the index. The speakers really are quite good.

I can't comment on microphone quality though. I'd have to somehow record myself using it vs the yeti sitting on my desk and I'd probably have to grab a copy of audacity or something :effort:

e: strapping a boom arm onto my headset so I can hang a loving 3lb USB mic by my face

The Index's microphone is fantastic. I've listened to a friend go from the Vive's to it, and it's about as clear as a modmic.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
If you buy the right on-ear headphones you can literally pull the cans off and strap then straight on to the Rift S, no addon kits or 3D printed parts required...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I went exploring vrchat again and found that someone ported in the loving Valkurm Dunes out of FF11. Jesus christ.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Marxalot posted:

I went exploring vrchat again and found that someone ported in the loving Valkurm Dunes out of FF11. Jesus christ.

How many crabs were there? This is important

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there such a thing as a good user-friendly program that can make dioramas or walk-around dioramas? We're moving house soon but we put a lot of time and effort into the garden and I'd really like to have a good immersive diorama of it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Headphone chat: I picked up this Bionik Mantis that was designed for PSVR but works great on the Rift S. Sound is roughly as good as the OG Rift (ie lightyears better than the Quest or S)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Pierson posted:

Is there such a thing as a good user-friendly program that can make dioramas or walk-around dioramas? We're moving house soon but we put a lot of time and effort into the garden and I'd really like to have a good immersive diorama of it.

If you just want a 2D 360 photo, a lot of modern smartphones, e.g. Samsung, have built-in apps to stitch one together by taking photos. I'm sure there are app store options for phones that don't have it built in.

If you want a full walk around 3D photogrammetry scene then the software does exist, but it's not very user friendly and it's really going to struggle to do anything with complex, thin shapes like foliage and flowers.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

kirbysuperstar posted:

How many crabs were there? This is important

Absolutely none. It was kind of awe inspiring.

Found out about multiplayer beat sabre (in beat sabre, not the vrchat port) though. That was fun.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pierson posted:

Your most comprehensive bet is to start taking picture for photogrammetry now, then you have all the time in the world after moving to use those pictures and learn how to put together a scene. Its not terribly hard, but you will have to learn how to use something like meshroom and unity/unreal.

The key for taking the photos is consistency of lighting and deep focus. If you can get an overcast day thats your best time as it eliminates harsh direct lighting from the sun. You also want to make sure your camera, whether phone or otherwise has a very deep focus so everything in the scene is in focus (no shallow 'bokeh' effects with parts blurred), and best if you can turn off auto white balancing and other auto features because you want as much consistency and clarity as possible.

Then its a matter of taking hundreds/thousands (depending on how big the area and how much detail) of photographs of your garden. Up close, far back, down low, up high, all around the perimeter 360 etc, just moving around taking lots of photos, and try to have ~20% overlap between photos of every angle you can. The more photos you have, the more you have to work with. You can always get better at learning how to use photogrammetry software with your pictures once you have all those photos, but you won't get a second chance at getting the photos after you move.

The other poster was right though, its harder to get detail on small things like flowers and plants so you might not get a great result, but the point is just at least you'll always have the pictures if software improves down the road.

The simpler option would be to pick up a 180 3d camera like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J68LR1X?tag=top-3dcameras-20&th=1&psc=1 and just take some nice 3d 180 photos and videos of your garden. You won't have 6dof movement around them as an environment, but the quality as a photo/video should be good enough.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What cool stuff is there to actually do in VR Chat? I know there's tons of stuff, but all googling gets me is memes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What cool stuff is there to actually do in VR Chat? I know there's tons of stuff, but all googling gets me is memes.

It's a good question, in all these months since I bought a headset I still haven't tried it. Is there anything else apart from the anime lolis I see on Internet?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a good question, in all these months since I bought a headset I still haven't tried it. Is there anything else apart from the anime lolis I see on Internet?

honestly not really, i tried my best to like it (several hours) but i think im too old for it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inacio posted:

honestly not really, i tried my best to like it (several hours) but i think im too old for it

I'm almost 40. Theres stuff to do.

Turin Turambar posted:

Tons of stuff. I spend a lot of time just dancing around to kpop and chatting with people. Theres horror games, and movie things, and all kinds of poo poo. The community itself has been crazy welcoming and friendly. Yeah theres weird rear end trolls and some insane things do go on but all in all its been a good time. Plus full body tracking is a riot.

Its sort of one of those things you kinda just need to dive into, and not worry about what you run into.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Derail Valley the train simulator launched a huge update today, that they are calling Overhauled, and it's so extensive it might as well be Derail Valley 2.0. It works in both VR and outside of VR (although it was built ground up for VR).

Launch trailer for Overhauled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XCdfc-Exk

They did six short videos building up to the release about the changes:
Introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUW4fWUM40o
General Improvements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiabrJakb4
Couplers, Derailing and more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLXbuLw7bnk
World Rework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsz_HDvAKc
Fees, Licenses, and Insurance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLKKTu5MG4g
Jobs, HAZMAT, and More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qogr2xgfOjw

It's a game I've had fun with for awhile, but it was so janky that it was hard to recommend. I haven't spent too much time with the update yet, but it looks to smooth out a lot of the issues. If you like trains and want to shovel some coal in VR, it's a good time to jump in.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Watched a vrchat video yesterday where a guy turned into a giant anime girl in a bikini and went around picking up other players and putting them between her boobs. Like there was a seat programmed into her cleavavge....so there's that to do....

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Oculus has a sale going on in Rift and Quest stores right now. Virtual Desktop marked down, and Robo Recall Daily Deal (which I have never seen on sale). Theres some discounted bundles but the prices are kinda high seeing as I own one or two titles already in them.

Ya know what, if you go to the Rift store I see some stuff on sale that is cross buy, so more options there for Quest people.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 21, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying the Climb, but I wish someone makes another attempt at the concept. Something with bigger places, akin to a real location, and more freeform climbing, when you can plan and execute your route. I hate when I see a clear place to put my hands but the game won't let me. I also wish the game wouldn't start with you up there already, but instead well on the ground, before going up the first meters, it would give more meaning to the moment where you reach the peak, if you know what I mean.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Does The Climb do a better job at making it seem like you're climbing the mountain and not just pulling the mountain down around you? Climby feels that way.

OG Doom is now available for sidequest. It's Doom, so everything is 2D sprites, which means your "gun" is just a fully movable 2D picture from the game. Pretty funny stuff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Tons of stuff. I spend a lot of time just dancing around to kpop and chatting with people. Theres horror games, and movie things, and all kinds of poo poo. The community itself has been crazy welcoming and friendly. Yeah theres weird rear end trolls and some insane things do go on but all in all its been a good time. Plus full body tracking is a riot.

Its sort of one of those things you kinda just need to dive into, and not worry about what you run into.

Yeah, I know there is stuff but I don't know how to get to it, nor any idea where to find a list of cool places.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Yeah, I know there is stuff but I don't know how to get to it, nor any idea where to find a list of cool places.

randomly join worlds.
If you're worried about joining some super busy one, when you go to "join" it you can create a private or invite friends session so you can dick around without people if you'd like.

Stuff thats populated is "good" for one reason or another, so you can just use the popular list in the games menu tbh

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Does anybody still play Rec Room? I was initially put off by it's wonky interface, but months later I'm really digging it. Paintball and co-op shooting quests are a ton of fun, but I'm kinda overwhelmed with the sheer depth and breadth of what you can do with the creative tools. I've just been trying to build a cool room, and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what you could do with it. Have any goons done anything cool or creative with it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

randomly join worlds.
If you're worried about joining some super busy one, when you go to "join" it you can create a private or invite friends session so you can dick around without people if you'd like.

Stuff thats populated is "good" for one reason or another, so you can just use the popular list in the games menu tbh

I don't want to just sit through tons of loading screens to fall into a bunch of social spaces. I'm talking about recommendations for actual games and experiences. If you've already found a couple cool things, why not share their names and a quick little description of them?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I don't want to just sit through tons of loading screens to fall into a bunch of social spaces. I'm talking about recommendations for actual games and experiences. If you've already found a couple cool things, why not share their names and a quick little description of them?

Because literally everything I do is just rooms with nothing other than a few props or lights because I do MOSTLY just chat and hanging out with friends and dance around with fbt.

I could recommend Rain Room. If you want a pretty place to hang out. The flappy bird clone is actually kinda hilarious and fun. Beyond that? No clue man. I'm like 5 or so days into it myself and JUST got upload rights. (8 hours). Oh theres a beach one that I can't think of the name of thats in the "popular" list. Its pretty cool to just hang out in too.

Horror is really popular. I've done a whole 2 of them, but they are pretty neat if you actually get scared by stuff.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Leal posted:

I was able to handle the spiders in flat Skyrim. That was a negatory for Skyrim VR

This is a link to a mod that removes/replaces all giant spiders in Skyrim. Enjoy the land of Skyrim, or don't!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Play Doom on Quest!
https://www.questzdoom.com/

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

You could check out the Udon Alpha spotlight, but in all honesty I would give it another couple of months or so if you're seriously looking for games and stuff to do. VRChat only just launched real support for scripted worlds (Udon) so it's gonna take some time for anything really good to come out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I dunno, but sometimes you see some crazy juxtaposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJWrgtm29Y

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I am! Does anyone know how to turn on smooth turning? Setting the snap turning to 1, 2, or 3 degrees seems to get close to what I want, but it's still too choppy since I don't think that's the way it's intended to be used.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Go look at anything in the UDON Alpha highlight section of the World menu, they all use the new scripting engine to do impressive things. Go feed some ducks at the pond.

Socializing-wise, the Great Pug's a nice balance of conversation and seeing just plain weird poo poo. The Black Cat's not bad either for this.

Games; Murder 2 is still a lot of fun. Freeze Tag's actually good too with a full room.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I am no expert and can't dance for poo poo, but there is a beat sabre clone, some weird party games (never have I ever, etc) that can be fun or at least interesting in a people watching kind of way if you're drunk enough, and a bunch of janky rear end but still kind of neat udon worlds in that "gently caress around in for an hour or two with or without a friend" kind of way. Freeze tag, the jumping game in particular, that one racing game (speed run?), reversi, etc.

Most of the fhe "fun" lies in either exploration/people watching or just bullshitting with people you know while 3 random furries nobody knows silently erp in front of a mirror on the other side of the room. If someone is being annoying/creepy or you just don't want to see 3 weebs piled ontop of eachother you can (and basically have to) make frequent use of the "block voice/avatar/user" functionality.

EbolaIvory posted:

Because literally everything I do is just rooms with nothing other than a few props or lights because I do MOSTLY just chat and hanging out with friends and dance around with fbt.

I could recommend Rain Room. If you want a pretty place to hang out. The flappy bird clone is actually kinda hilarious and fun. Beyond that? No clue man. I'm like 5 or so days into it myself and JUST got upload rights. (8 hours). Oh theres a beach one that I can't think of the name of thats in the "popular" list. Its pretty cool to just hang out in too.

Horror is really popular. I've done a whole 2 of them, but they are pretty neat if you actually get scared by stuff.

Jesus christ 1-2 months in and I'm still a blue name lmao.

Rain room is chill though, yeah.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marxalot posted:

You shoot up the ranks a lot faster with more friends, and by uploading avatars or worlds. It's not just total playtime.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You shoot up the ranks a lot faster with more friends, and by uploading avatars or worlds. It's not just total playtime.

If I had friends I wouldn't be in VR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Marxalot posted:

Then you should have upload rights. The first upgrade or whatever is only 8ish hours now if you're actually social and add friends and stuff. Only grey names can't upload. I'm basically just the first up from "guest" or whatever.