Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was more referring to it showing a blank page. :v:

Edit: Oh nvm, the store seems broken in general.

Edit 2:
Starting new page with some proper content.

Finished my kitbashed Sniper today. Managed to use up the AoS Hero forest base with it too even if it wasn't a perfect fit due to the cloak being in the way. Might just snap him off at some later point and put him on a hero log so he doesn't look sorta tilted.
And you can barely even notice the seam at the back too.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/21/heads-up-price-adjustment-new-releases/

Rejoice, for GW has resumed normal operations and preorders are due for May 30th.
But apparently also a price hike but they messed up the URL so no idea what's getting raised.

Yay! Boo!

Paint/Lore Question combo with a Chaos flavour.
So Spess Mahreens have ceramite armour. Power Armour is covered in ceramite which is a sci fi version of our non metallic polycarbonate armour. The real world style armour doesn't rust unless you have metallic gubbinz somewhere that bleed the rust onto the surface but I remember reading in books about Papa Nurgle's favourite boyz having rusted and corroded armour. I know I'm thinking way too much about this already but trying out a couple of cheap old plastic plague marines and I like the idea of painting rusty metal armour. Looked great on my Orkz but not sure about on Plague Marines. Haven't the Marines always used non metallic poly armour? I think even the Thunder Warriors used a form of it if my memory serves from reading apocrypha. Just thinking mould, detritus and snotty might be the more logical choice. Old blood can look similar to rust but that would be more fitting for my Night Lords. Also anyone got any ideas how to add some texture to the sick? Mould can be slight fuzzy or just black and green spots and wondering how I could do the fuzz that will stick. Any way to do an effective gooey viscous that looks like it is dripping from the visors? I'm thinking old of trying old acrylics (I paint other things so have oil based, acrylic and water colour hanging about) . Some dyed gesso might do for a old dried up fluid spots on the armour. Mixing dry, wet and fuzzy might help. They may only be a small part of my Chaos force but I want to make old Pappy N smile with his small group of boys.

So primer. I don't want to coat too thin or too thick and spray seems the most economical. White or Black right? I'm thinking black might be best as I can take a thin layer of white as an undercoat to make the colours pop when I paint them. Sticking with citadel paints as that seems to be the norm. I promise to be quiet while I relearn painting minis.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 21, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Von_Doom posted:

Old blood can look similar to rust but that would be more fitting for my Night Lords. Also anyone got any ideas how to add some texture to the sick? Mould can be slight fuzzy or just black and green spots and wondering how I could do the fuzz that will stick. Any way to do an effective gooey viscous that looks like it is dripping from the visors?

Are you familiar with GW’s technical paints? Typhus Corrosion and Nurgle’s Rot might be what you’re looking for. Typhus adds a gritty texture to mimic corrosion and Nurgle’s Rot makes gooey yellow green slime

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 21, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Price hikes on almost 500 kits is rough.

A quick flick through and its almost every core troop / set for most races. Ho hum.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

Price hikes on almost 500 kits is rough.

A quick flick through and its almost every core troop / set for most races. Ho hum.

It's also poo poo that is already obscenely overcosted, like the sentinel. Funny how they can't blame it on exchange rates this time, so they just don't give a reason.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nurgle's corruption takes a lot of impossible forms. Ceramite shouldn't rust, but it also shouldn't grow cysts, blisters and teeth.

Do what looks cool.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Nurgle's so disgusting he can rust ceramite. It Just Works (tm)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Speaking or corruption, I decided to go for the rusty look with my Death guard, so here may be some examples of what you are talking about

:

I used Typhus corrosion then dry brush ryza rust over it to get the rusted corrosion look.

Nurgle can cause decay in anything so I love the look.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2020

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

moths posted:

Stopping? No. Dissuading? Absolutely.

Again, it's not really an issue because anyone can pirate the rules and order models from China. But GW is definitely leaving money on the table by sticking with that same codex model for six editions.

I hear this a lot about China recasts and I’m kind of confused.

Are there issues with the China models? Like are they toxic? Noticeably lovely quality plastic that melts or something? Frankly I don’t understand what % of GW models on the tabletops are China recasts.

How many of y’all have China recasts? How inexpensive are they?

Between the China Recasts and 3D printers, I really expected a lot of folks that are seriously into the hobby to divert a significant % of models we see on a given tabletop are from GW or from the above two alternatives.

I was hoping the pressure would incentivize GW to lower prices.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Recast chat isn't something we discuss here AFAIK.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

moths posted:

Recast chat isn't something we discuss here AFAIK.

Even the hypothetical market implications? We were just discussing the piracy vs purchasing implications of print and free virtual codexes.

I’m not asking for a url to DISCOUNT-PRIMARIS.china.edu

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Even the hypothetical market implications? We were just discussing the piracy vs purchasing implications of print and free virtual codexes.

I’m not asking for a url to DISCOUNT-PRIMARIS.china.edu

I preferred the chat about painting corrosion :smuggo:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Some serious boot deep throating happened last page, don't do that they aren't your friends.

I also picked the lousiest time to get back into the hobby with the price hike. :toot:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spudd posted:

Some serious boot deep throating happened last page, don't do that they aren't your friends.

I also picked the lousiest time to get back into the hobby with the price hike. :toot:

Boot deep throating?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Spudd posted:

If you’re patient about it there’s frequently a decent eBay auction for most factions for people who want to offload their army or various models. So long as you’re not chasing the meta the price is usually far below retail and a lot of them require little or no cleanup before reusing them.

If you’re chasing the meta then be prepared to buy retail and get mad when the next FAQ ruins it for you.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

If you’re patient about it there’s frequently a decent eBay auction for most factions for people who want to offload their army or various models. So long as you’re not chasing the meta the price is usually far below retail and a lot of them require little or no cleanup before reusing them.

If you’re chasing the meta then be prepared to buy retail and get mad when the next FAQ ruins it for you.

I would also add that, Primaris marines seem to be the way to go as GW wants to make sure they stay relevant both rules and collecting wise.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moths posted:

Nurgle's corruption takes a lot of impossible forms. Ceramite shouldn't rust, but it also shouldn't grow cysts, blisters and teeth.

Do what looks cool.

Yeah I was gonna say, it's actually some kind of warp-based corruption that just happens to look like rust.

But also Typhus Corrosion and Nurgle's Rot are absolutely fantastic paints that every DG player should have in my humble opinion. A tiny bit of them and really punch everything up a lot.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Nah this is more just for fun and painting tbh so thank you for the advice. I've not really used ebay before so I suppose now is a good time as any to learn.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Spudd posted:

Nah this is more just for fun and painting tbh so thank you for the advice. I've not really used ebay before so I suppose now is a good time as any to learn.

Here’s a decent example from recently: I wanted a Neurothrope but literally the only way to get one is in the Zoanthropes box that retails for $60US. It should also be noted that having only two Zoanthropes is not a valid unit size, so if you build a Neurothrope and want a legal unit retail you have to buy another box.

Neurothropes are actually slightly tricky to get because they’re popular and get snapped up, but I spent a few days checking every once and a while and found one in the UK for ~$30US including shipping overseas.

Straight-up painted black over this:

and made this:

eBay rescues are fun, satisfying, and (relatively) cheap.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Even the hypothetical market implications?

I feel like it's been a while, but recast chat always goes into some really lovely places. It's flammably controversial, people have Very Strong Opinions, and while this may not (or may?) be against thread rules it's never worth the headaches.

Third party miniatures is a safer alternative topic. You can mentally include "recasts" when you read "third party" (if your personal ethics allow that) since they functionally serve identically wrt 40k.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Boot deep throating?

It's a common mistranslation from german for blowing a submarine captain

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Spudd posted:

Most wargaming communities thrive on a healthy diet of boot.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Here’s a decent example from recently: I wanted a Neurothrope but literally the only way to get one is in the Zoanthropes box that retails for $60US. It should also be noted that having only two Zoanthropes is not a valid unit size, so if you build a Neurothrope and want a legal unit retail you have to buy another box.

Neurothropes are actually slightly tricky to get because they’re popular and get snapped up, but I spent a few days checking every once and a while and found one in the UK for ~$30US including shipping overseas.

Straight-up painted black over this:

and made this:

eBay rescues are fun, satisfying, and (relatively) cheap.

poo poo yeah, well this helps my sudden anxiety with the price hike, thank you. I'm just down in Australia so I'd probably have to be more patient or lucky. Still it's worth a shot! :v:

My dad has recently been getting really into making his own general wargaming terrain and buildings so I figured we could some father/son bullshit where I make the models and he makes the terrain.

I've also decided to go with Thousand Sons as my first army so there might be some marines or tazangors from starter packs that people don't want, I guess?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I can't believe that "just steal the rules if they're too expensive for you" is interpreted as bootlicking. What a world.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

moths posted:

I feel like it's been a while, but recast chat always goes into some really lovely places. It's flammably controversial, people have Very Strong Opinions, and while this may not (or may?) be against thread rules it's never worth the headaches.

Third party miniatures is a safer alternative topic. You can mentally include "recasts" when you read "third party" (if your personal ethics allow that) since they functionally serve identically wrt 40k.

See and that’s another super interesting factor for the GW mini market. Some tournaments have thresholds for certain amount of GW models. So it could be tricky to build it in. But third party bits are often extraordinary value. I know a lot of folks use third party bits to get multiples of a specific weapon because the actual GW box doesn’t have enough. Which is hilarious in its own right.

And with so many high quality plastic models, GW official and third party, it’s vastly easier to kitbash than when everything was metal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Are there issues with the China models? Like are they toxic? Noticeably lovely quality plastic that melts or something? Frankly I don’t understand what % of GW models on the tabletops are China recasts.

Between the China Recasts and 3D printers, I really expected a lot of folks that are seriously into the hobby to divert a significant % of models we see on a given tabletop are from GW or from the above two alternatives.

3D printed models don't quite make it IMHO and it'll be a long time before you can expect something coming out of a 3d printer to match the quality of plastic casting without significant effort and finishing work

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

3D printed models don't quite make it IMHO and it'll be a long time before you can expect something coming out of a 3d printer to match the quality of plastic casting without significant effort and finishing work

The balance is starting to tip with resin printers. They're really very good.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
These are 3d printed.

Resin printers are VERY good.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cinara posted:

These are 3d printed.

They are, and the price is not prohibitive. A resin printer that can print these models is about $250. The model itself is about .50-$1 worth of material, probably like 10ish hours to print? This is a little weird knock off cataphracti termie I printed with my resin printer. The paint job is lacking, but the details are there.

Other things 3d printers are very nice for, not having to use GW's loving flying stands. These are 3d printed on a resin printer and magnetized.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 22, 2020

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

jassi007 posted:

They are, and the price is not prohibitive. A resin printer that can print these models is about $250. The model itself is about .50-$1 worth of material, probably like 10ish hours to print? This is a little weird knock off cataphracti termie I printed with my resin printer. The paint job is lacking, but the details are there.

Other things 3d printers are very nice for, not having to use GW's loving flying stands. These are 3d printed on a resin printer and magnetized.

This right here is cool as gently caress. I wonder if those would work on my Warp Talons?

:unsmigghh:

Edit: We'll soon see if they're compatible as I just ordered a few.

The site to get them if anyone's interested is here.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 22, 2020

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This right here is cool as gently caress. I wonder if those would work on my Warp Talons?

:unsmigghh:

Edit: We'll soon see if they're compatible as I just ordered a few.

The site to get them if anyone's interested is here.

the one's I have are deadlyprintstudio designs. https://deadlyprintstudio.com/ You can either buy the files and print your own, or they'll print them for you.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Are there issues with the China models? Like are they toxic?

Yes.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

I have quite a few recasts. Overall the quality is equal to or better than actual forge world stuff. It smells like diesel when you cut/file it so you should definitely wear a mask like you would with any resin. I wouldn't buy a resin recast over an available plastic kit even for less money as gw plastic is still superior to anything else out there. I'm a bit of a meta slave when it comes to 40k though and I refuse to pay a premium for forge world stuff.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Recast FW stuff is definitely a thing on tournament tables, most people just don't talk about it. Besides anything else, the number of Chaplain Dreadnoughts at LVO vs. the number of real Chaplain Dreadnoughts in circulation when the model stopped being sold years ago should tell you that. Out in the wider world, I personally don't have any recasts mostly because I'm uninterested in most FW stuff, but almost everyone that I know who has a lot of it has a mix of legit and recast, and I know one guy who buys literally everything recast, including stuff that's usually plastic.

I can't really get too exercised about it since FW's quality is often complete garbage and they charge a premium price for terrible service - you only need to see stuff like the easter-egg Warlord or Hixson's (?) ZM tiles that were utterly hosed and FW just refused to deal with, or the Terrax drill which has 3d print lines in the cast because that's how they made the mold and no-one bothered fixing it.

3d printing wise I don't mind bits or whatever, but I generally find that people bragging about having 3d printed models have produced something that looks substantially worse than whatever it's meant to be, and the time and effort that went into making it way outweighs any saving for doing it. I'm sure at some point 3d printing (or resin printing as TTerrible pointed out) will catch up to the point that it's indistinguishable and then I guess that's a question we have to ask, but right now most home 3d printing stuff does not even hold a candle to the kind of industrial process used by GW or Mantic or Warlord or wherever else is casting plastic stuff the traditional way.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
3D printing will continue to become more mainstream and useful, especially in an age of pandemics when manufacturing isn't reliable, and shipping less so.

ForgeWorld resin quality is deplorable. My Thunderbolt fighters are filled with gaps, enormous gates that damage the parts when they're removed and warped/bent parts. The excuse that they're for 'experienced hobbyists' is utter tripe when Creature Caster, and indeed, a guy in his garage in china can output higher quality resin dollies for significantly less, and with far more detail.

I've bought China cast once for a ForgeWorld miniature that's been out of print for almost a decade, as there was quite literally no other option if I wanted it, but I will still pay for genuine forge world whenever possible, because I'm a loving idiot who gives a poo poo about that kind of thing for some reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
China makes good FW models. I'm an Australian so I know a thing or two about chinaforge.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Only time I've handled recast so far is when I did some bases as a commission and I think I have a couple of recast Space Wolves heads I nabbed from a pile at some point. Can't have enough beakies or the wolf tail heads in my meaning.
Other than that it's been FW resin or third party models, although a friend mentioned he was going to send me a whole bunch of recast stuff that he doesn't want anymore from a failed venture to get into 40k so I'll get to experience that at some point.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Von_Doom posted:

Yay! Boo!

Paint/Lore Question combo with a Chaos flavour.

Power armour has always been basically ceramic, so technically it wouldn't rust. That being said, it's the main armour plating itself that's a ceramic, there's plenty of metal details all over the model.

On top of that, rust is only one of the things Nurgle would do to power armour. You can have generic stains from vomit, pus, and blood. You could have ooze seeping out between joints in the armour. You can have mould or weird warp flesh growing over the armour.

On top of of that, rust effects that can look really. Good include the rust sort of discolouring the stuff it is near, like this:

So even if you're only painting rust, you can still make it discolour the ceramic armour, you may just want to Google a bunch of photo references to help you make it look realistic. If you don't, sometimes these things look subtly wrong even if people can't put their finger on why.

As for recast chat, I bought a recast resin forge world grey Knight dreadnought from a Russian recaster, along with some dreadnought missile arms because the former didn't exist any more and the latter isn't included in the venerable dreadnought kit (which is dumb and still annoys me and I didn't know at the time). It was cheap compared to what the original cost (like £30 for the dreadnought, two missile arms, and a lascannon arm, plus postage) but it took like a month or more to turn up and when it did the details weren't great. Stuff like the writing etched into the big plates on the front of the dreadnought were very shallow, and I couldn't tell if that was a problem with the original cast or the new one.

I really don't think it's worth doing at all unless it's for a model that is super expensive so the discount is huge (basically any really large items are essentially a third of the price) or its not longer in production/limited time event. If you can afford to buy from a recaster and wait a month for it to turn up you could probably just save for that same length of time and buy it legit and not deal with all the hassle that comes with it.

If you want cheap models I honestly think ebay and some videos on how to strip paint off models are your friend.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Cinara posted:

These are 3d printed.

Now, where can we get files for these bad bois?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Shockeh posted:

Now, where can we get files for these bad bois?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3925611