Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I have a learning disorder that causes my persistence of visual memory to be quite limited, which makes navigating using maps and/or visual cues difficult even in the best of circumstances. Wandering Hollow Knight trying to make use of the navigation tools on offer feels boring and needlessly cryptic.

I can see why people like the game, and I rescind my previous description of the game as ugly. Seeing it in motion, the Edward Gorey aesthetic comes alive in a way that screenshots don’t do justice to, even if it isn’t really my thing.

It seems like a good game, the controls are really tight and the enemies are smartly designed and placed. The health mechanic is brilliant. But I don’t think I’m going to play much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

go oldschool and draw your own map

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Awesome! posted:

go oldschool and draw your own map

Yeah, this. It'd actually make the game more memorable for you. We have become too accustomed to having games handle every single aspect for us, so when a game doesn't do this, we feel lost. This isn't just some random jab from me. I've picked up Madorica Real Estate specifically to force myself to take some notes, but I'm just shooting hearts at everything.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

GrandpaPants posted:

Monster Train is out today. Gonna need some goonpinions on how this compares to Slay the Spire.

To present the other side, I did not enjoy what I tried of Monster Train. My random card drops were almost entirely monsters, with about 2 mostly useless spells, so combat consisted of spamming them out, killing an enemy or two, then having the rest of the wave just stroll up through my train because apparently the doors don't have locks or something.

Seriously, why the hell can they just waltz right past my monsters?? Such a weird, stupid choice for a mechanic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ShootaBoy posted:

To present the other side, I did not enjoy what I tried of Monster Train. My random card drops were almost entirely monsters, with about 2 mostly useless spells, so combat consisted of spamming them out, killing an enemy or two, then having the rest of the wave just stroll up through my train because apparently the doors don't have locks or something.

Seriously, why the hell can they just waltz right past my monsters?? Such a weird, stupid choice for a mechanic.

The game suffers greatly from needing unlocks. You want stuff with the Rooted effect in order to keep enemies on your floor, and you want to thin your deck out instead of just stacking a ton of monsters. You should get plenty of dedicated spell drops after fights.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You need to place the monsters you have properly, and also use your champion effectively. Plus the upgrades for units/spells are incredibly important. Boss fights don't just walk past your units either, they fight to the death on each floor.

It really just sounds like you didn't play enough to understand the mechanics and gave up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would recommend watching a streamer who has been playing for more than just today. there is really quite a large space of viable options even into mid-ascensions.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

No Wave posted:

For that void rain upon heart game - is there an option to make the screen vertical instead of horizontal? It looks neat.

There is not, but sidescrolling shmups/bullet hells are a different beast entirely than vertical ones. In Void, there's no oncoming waves of enemies that you need to see the length of the screen away, only you and the boss in a portrait-esque image - and some of the bosses are affected by gravity, so you probably wouldn't want a vertical mode even if the other reasons didn't convince you.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Cinara posted:

You need to place the monsters you have properly, and also use your champion effectively. Plus the upgrades for units/spells are incredibly important. Boss fights don't just walk past your units either, they fight to the death on each floor.

It really just sounds like you didn't play enough to understand the mechanics and gave up.

I was playing the demo thing. I fought three bosses. I didn't mention them because they are an anomaly because they work like any other example of a monster summoning game, where they need to fight through all your men to actually hurt you.

I tried to engage with the mechanics, but you seemed to have missed the part where the game didn't give me anything to actually use beyond basic monsters. I had no root, I had no buffing spells.

Also, even if I did have them, I still hate the mechanic where enemies just get to stroll past your men. I find it incredibly dumb and unfun. So I was never going to enjoy the game. I gave it a fair shake, and didn't like it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man... Got through all the tutorials and started the story mode of MK11 and I really wish they could have gotten Christopher Lambert back as Raiden since they got the loving GOAT Shang Tsung back from the 1995 movie Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. Robin Shou and Bridgette Wilson wouldn't be so bad either. Hell, the Johnny Cage in that movie was great too, maybe Netherrealms can just reboot the franchise again with their next game and pull a Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game but make it actually good.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Okay, when I look at the steam page on my internet browser it talks about some sort of spring cleaning event. But when I look at the front page on steam I just see a sale on DLC. Anybody else seeing this?

Edit: Posted about it, problem went right away.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it looks like its just a "hey play these random games from your backlog" sort of thing

E: what if super time force and uh...invisible inc had a weird cute baby? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150950/Timelie/

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 21, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
re: Monster Train -

The finished game is, imo, significantly easier than the demo, at Covenant level 0 and there's been a balance pass on cards that, for the most part I agree with. I played two quick runs before work and beat the game on the second, my first Awakened run, something I wasn't able to do in about six demo runs. Whereas the final boss schooled me decisively on the two runs where I made it to him in the demo, I killed him, easily, on the first floor with my first stab at him in the full release.

IMO, it's fun and lighter than StS. StS is extremely well-balanced, which isn't surprising given its roots. Monster Train isn't as focused on balance and that may be a turn-off for some folks. It encourages building degenerate decks in a way that StS generally makes pretty difficult; why duplicate a Rare card now when you can lower its cost to 0 and double its potency and THEN use the same mechanism to duplicate it two or three times? Another game would have made that harder, perhaps increasing cost to do so if the card has been modified, but that's not what Monster Train is about.

Personally, I like it and I'm curious to see how it does as I go up in Covenant levels and unlock the other two clans (the third was unlocked for me after my second run). I'm also hopeful it's a game that has long developer legs, much like STS has had, as I'd be curious to see how they iterate on this. It's far less of a "serious" game mechanically-speaking than STS, but they both fit a mood and I'm okay with that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thinking some more about Thronebreaker, and I think I figured out why I like it even though it took me ages to get into Gwent; the starter deck isn't total trash. If you don't immediately start playing every single gwent match that Witcher 3 throws at you, you will quickly find yourself getting frustrated as you play against random inkeepers with like, full monster decks, while you don't even have a single spy or medic to your name. Frankly even if you do start playing early, it kind of sucks because I didn't really start enjoying Gwent until I started getting fully-featured decks; once you unlock a faction's real capabilities, you start to play around with some real interesting card synergies that simply aren't there with the lovely cards you start with.

Thronebreaker gives you a ton of fun toys to play with right out of the gate, while also making the game more mechanically complex and interesting, so you can start tooling around and seeing what works right away. So if your initial impression of Gwent was that you wanted to like it, but you hated it based off the first handful of matches you tried, give Thronebreaker a go, they did a much better job of it this time around.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

it looks like its just a "hey play these random games from your backlog" sort of thing

Yeah they did this last year to, also they still haven't fixed the algorithm for what they display. It told me Fez was a new game I bought even though I bought it back in 2013.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I know this is the steam thread but it's also P much the PC gaming thread in general so...

The last week or 2 every time I exit a game that uses uPlay it fucks up my windows/program sizes and location. This is the mess I encountered after Closing Anno 1800, but AC: Syndicate does it as well.

Any ideas how to prevent it, or how can I save what I'd like the layout/size/positions to be in windows and restore that?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a learning disorder that causes my persistence of visual memory to be quite limited, which makes navigating using maps and/or visual cues difficult even in the best of circumstances. Wandering Hollow Knight trying to make use of the navigation tools on offer feels boring and needlessly cryptic.

I can see why people like the game, and I rescind my previous description of the game as ugly. Seeing it in motion, the Edward Gorey aesthetic comes alive in a way that screenshots don’t do justice to, even if it isn’t really my thing.

It seems like a good game, the controls are really tight and the enemies are smartly designed and placed. The health mechanic is brilliant. But I don’t think I’m going to play much more.

If you decide not to play the rest, but you want to see what it's like, and you don't mind watching LPers, then I can recommend Playframe's playthrough. Dan gets very invested and he's never so bad at the game that you'll get frustrated watching him. If his humour clicks for you (silly, cute, not edgy at all) then it's well worth a watch.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Queen's Wish is on sale, I remember people talking up about some very neat mechanics re:levelling not being by randomly killing but by completing actual tasks, but how is the rest of the gameplay? I've never played a Spiderweb game but I do know they lean towards a very specific 'classic' game feeling that often also ends up being a bit of a pain to play.

Here's the beauty of Spiderweb games.

They lean on that classic feeling, but never make it a pain to play. Constantly smart QoL features that just work, great design, fun choices, lots of focus on well designed encounters.

Spiderweb stuff has flaws for sure. It's obviously a one man job. The UI just works, it's not flashy. Story beats and companions are sometimes less reactive then you might expect from an AAA title. Art is obviously a bit more indie.

But if you like RPGs, they put in the work for cheap.

Queens Wish is a great start. It's the most feature rich of them all, although I found the core plot somewhat goofy.

Avadon is the most "modern". It attempted to bring in the Bioware fanbase. Also a good start. It has actual companions for example, with companion quests.

Avernum now that its fully remade is the best, really good story, lots of choice, great locations.

Geneforge is the next set to be remade, but is up there with Avernum. If you start getting into Spiderweb stuff now, you could do Queens Wish > Avernum and be ready for the Geneforge remakes as they come out!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are there any games that have a censorship option that turns all the voice acting swears into stuff like "fun you, airhead!"?

not games that are just written like that anyway, something where you're explicitly choosing some kind of TV edit mode

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

baka kaba posted:

Are there any games that have a censorship option that turns all the voice acting swears into stuff like "fun you, airhead!"?

not games that are just written like that anyway, something where you're explicitly choosing some kind of TV edit mode

Didn't one of the Gears of War games do that?

Fake Edit: Gears of War 4.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedd posted:

I know this is the steam thread but it's also P much the PC gaming thread in general so...

The last week or 2 every time I exit a game that uses uPlay it fucks up my windows/program sizes and location. This is the mess I encountered after Closing Anno 1800, but AC: Syndicate does it as well.

Any ideas how to prevent it, or how can I save what I'd like the layout/size/positions to be in windows and restore that?

If the game sets a resolution different than what your desktop is this will happen

Either set it to native res or turn on borderless windowed mode

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zedd posted:

Off the top of my head it looks like they're running fullscreen at a lower resolution than your Windows desktop. Switching the games to Borderless Fullscreen or the native resolution should prevent it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fallom posted:

If the game sets a resolution different than what your desktop is this will happen

Either set it to native res or turn on borderless windowed mode

Ghostlight posted:

Off the top of my head it looks like they're running fullscreen at a lower resolution than your Windows desktop. Switching the games to Borderless Fullscreen or the native resolution should prevent it.
I run games in my native resolution at FS-Windowed exactly because of this happening in the past. :v:
I'd get it when I play on my 4K tv, but this happens even on my (main) monitor.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Brutal Legend of course.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is the Civ VI base game okay or is it garbo? (Yes, I just got it for free on EGS.)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is the Civ VI base game okay or is it garbo? (Yes, I just got it for free on EGS.)

Base game is pretty eh.

With the expansions it's a pretty great Civ.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Brutal Legend of course.

Add that one to a list for most money wasted on music licenses instead of making a game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's like 80% of a game too. It's a real shame they didn't have an actual game designer to go along with everything else. Tim Schafer has some strengths, but designing game mechanics are not among them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone place Space Haven (https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/)? It came out today and is supposed to be Rimworld-ish but it has really pretty pixel art that makes me think of OG X-Com.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I know it is only on EGS at first, but does anybody else think Maneater looks kind of amazing? Release date is tomorrow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m finishing up Remnant: From the Ashes + DLC with a friend and it’s bittersweet. We put a LOT of time into seeing every boss and challenge on every difficulty while farming everything useful but I still want more. Give me harder modes and the ability to upgrade more! I want to keep going!

This game really is co-op gold if you want Souls, Diablo and Borderlands all blended together.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know it is only on EGS at first, but does anybody else think Maneater looks kind of amazing? Release date is tomorrow.
*face deep in a pile of pure cocaine*

What if...what if Arkham combat, but also you're a shark? Sharkham combat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm so glad I'm not crazy for thinking Jaws Unleashed was kind of fun.
:coolfish:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rookersh posted:

Here's the beauty of Spiderweb games.

They lean on that classic feeling, but never make it a pain to play. Constantly smart QoL features that just work, great design, fun choices, lots of focus on well designed encounters.

Spiderweb stuff has flaws for sure. It's obviously a one man job. The UI just works, it's not flashy. Story beats and companions are sometimes less reactive then you might expect from an AAA title. Art is obviously a bit more indie.

But if you like RPGs, they put in the work for cheap.

Queens Wish is a great start. It's the most feature rich of them all, although I found the core plot somewhat goofy.

Avadon is the most "modern". It attempted to bring in the Bioware fanbase. Also a good start. It has actual companions for example, with companion quests.

Avernum now that its fully remade is the best, really good story, lots of choice, great locations.

Geneforge is the next set to be remade, but is up there with Avernum. If you start getting into Spiderweb stuff now, you could do Queens Wish > Avernum and be ready for the Geneforge remakes as they come out!

Thank, this was a very helpful rundown. I'll check out Queen's Wish and leave Avernum in my wishlist.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

How are Jackbox 3, 5, and 6? 3 seems to be always more expensive than 4, which I own, but the EGS sale drives the price down to what I want.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Zachack posted:

How are Jackbox 3, 5, and 6? 3 seems to be always more expensive than 4, which I own, but the EGS sale drives the price down to what I want.

I enjoy them all but your mileage may vary on each minigame. I would go watch youtube video to get a sense of how each game works.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

6 is one that my group returns to pretty frequently. Trivia Murder Party 2 is a fun quick quiz, Push the Button is a smart hidden role game, and Joke Boat is like standup comedy quiplash which is better than it sounds once everyone's loosened up a bit.

3 has Tee KO which takes a lot of set up but eventually you will be rewarded with the funniest poo poo you ever saw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Party Boat posted:

6 is one that my group returns to pretty frequently. Trivia Murder Party 2 is a fun quick quiz, Push the Button is a smart hidden role game, and Joke Boat is like standup comedy quiplash which is better than it sounds once everyone's loosened up a bit.

3 has Tee KO which takes a lot of set up but eventually you will be rewarded with the funniest poo poo you ever saw

Username/post combo.

Also TKO is worth the cost of the entire party pack 3, it's that good. Now I just need to find better friends that like joke boat.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A warning about Tee KO: it is an expensive game because it will present you with unwise purchasing decisions when you're three sheets to the wind.

For example I'm now the proud owner of this:

?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The rap game is a lot of fun too, even if I suck at rhyming