Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Game can be downloaded on Steam now, stand by for further announcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not able to play yet, login just times out. Hoping login issues are fixed soon.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Okay, after playing this game for an hour, I can decidedly say that it is Bad.

Pros:
-TTK actually doesn't feel THAT awful in this game. It's high for sure, but you as a solo player can kill another solo player in about twoish mags if you're decent enough at tracking or they're bad enough at dodging.
-Hitreg seemed decent after I got used to how the guns felt.
-Characters having different power spikes and counters seemed neat, level 2 Mendoza will still gently caress up a level 3 Tosca.
-All the game modes sharing a map makes it easier to learn.
-Compared to other video games, the women in this game could be a lot more sexualized I guess (people are still gonna call Shakirri thicc tho).

Unfortunately, I felt like I had to dig deep for those pros and I can rattle off a list of cons at the drop of a hat:

-Tutorial is awful. All it serves to teach you is how to shoot your guns, basically. Dropping into my first 4v4, I'm pretty sure I was the only one with the faintest clue of what the objective was at the start.
-The tutorial was also broken after completing for me like socialsecurity and I couldn't even look at the other characters' abilities this morning when I launched. I thought it might have been a weird UI bug, but nope! (It at least fixed itself by the time I was home from work.)
-No voice chat at launch. Vino addressed this already, but I'm pissed that I have to angrily ping the hive to try and get my teammates to head to it instead of just getting on mic and explaining the objective of the game.
-No auto-kicking AFK players and replacing them with hotjoiners in casual games. Because the one person who didn't get it together after the first five or so minutes left and never came back, so I got to play a 3v4 for my very first game!
-A lot of animations are janky or outright missing. When I tried her, Shakkiri seemed to have NO indication of when you were reloading, or even that the way you reload her pistol is to stop firing it instead of hitting R like in every other game.
-The BR mode's gimmick literally seems like a gimmick. Unless you make a mutual alliance with the player whose teammate you thirsted and they did the same, which unsurprisingly didn't work out the time I tried it, it seems very unlikely that you encounter another solo because you're going to be wanting to hide from every duo left alive instead of hunting down someone to befriend.
-Despite there ostensibly being a lot to do, the map felt very empty the entire time I played.
-Damage indicators are so wimpy, it feels hard to realize when you're actually lit in this game.
-Dying to poison damage because you couldn't get a health kit off in time or didn't have one in the first place is a big FeelsBadMan moment. It should probably only put you down to 1 HP.
-Sometimes, my game randomly lost focus despite nothing seeming to pop up from another program or there being a keypress that would alt-tab me.
-Esports titles should be at least as optimized as Valorant if you want a large audience, but you definitely don't want to be launching an esport where an i7-7700K and a GTX 1060 (still the most popular GPU on Steam) isn't hitting 120 fps. This might partially be my problem, since I could just drop everything to potato quality like I normally do, but most people don't bother to sit down and change graphics settings from the default.

So, I think that's about it for my list. I'm sure I have a couple other more nitpicky things, but all in all what I've already said dissuades me enough from playing this game again unless I'm drunk and ragging on it with friends.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Not able to play yet, login just times out. Hoping login issues are fixed soon.
Same here. 5 attempts including a Steam restart all led to this error message.

I was looking through the install directory to see if I could delete the videos for the splash screens and found a folder called "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crucible\NvGameSdk\levels\april2018" which I thought was funny given its release date.

Edit: Steam reviews are allowed now and it's not off to a good start. At least this person recommends it:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 20, 2020

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
The physics felt too floaty. The current "vault" system employed by many games now may seem clumsy, but i disliked how i seemed to float onto surfaces apparently out of jump range. The combat, given the amount of melee, felt weightless. hard to explain, but some sort of drag on mouse movement as you're making contact might help? though that basically constitutes autoaim. I'm not sure if I'm going to play this again any time soon, as the matches seem to be over either entirely too quick (duos) or go on for the better part of an hour (hive). Didn't try the third, but it just seems to me like it needs better physics. Doesn't feel meaty!

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010

rockinsaki posted:

The physics felt too floaty. The current "vault" system employed by many games now may seem clumsy, but i disliked how i seemed to float onto surfaces apparently out of jump range. The combat, given the amount of melee, felt weightless. hard to explain, but some sort of drag on mouse movement as you're making contact might help? though that basically constitutes autoaim. I'm not sure if I'm going to play this again any time soon, as the matches seem to be over either entirely too quick (duos) or go on for the better part of an hour (hive). Didn't try the third, but it just seems to me like it needs better physics. Doesn't feel meaty!

I feel the same. with the sword gun lady, whenever I was spamming sword swipes, I couldn't really tell when I was hitting them when I was in their face; hit feedback also made it hard to tell if I was landing my gun shots, and its kinda bothersome to always try to verify by looking at their health bar

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I actually had more fun than I thought I would.

One of my major concerns playing was that movement and aiming looked they had properties of momentum to them, but they feel pretty snappy in play. I don't mind the floater physics. The super bad lighting that's present in every piece of pre-release media seems to not actually be a problem in the game.

Will it keep my attention long term? Ehhhhh, I dunno, but it's not nearly as bad as I expected it to be after seeing the first trailer.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
We were having login issues for a moment, they should be resolved now. They were able to get a fix for NA, and they're working on a fix for other regions.

demostars posted:

-A lot of animations are janky or outright missing. When I tried her, Shakkiri seemed to have NO indication of when you were reloading, or even that the way you reload her pistol is to stop firing it instead of hitting R like in every other game.

Kirri's pistol doesn't reload. You have to switch to sword. You're pretty down on the game but I'm happy to take all of this as feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to post it :)

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

After playing a bunch of rounds I'm really struggling to understand why XP is even a mechanic in this game. If you just blob with your team you're going to end up even on XP or ahead if you get a few kills. It seems like it'd be better suited to just giving you a skill point when your team takes an objective.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I assume you're talking about Heart of the Hives. If you group with the team then you're not able to farm or capture harvesters as well. It's actually better to fan out and kite large groups and get ahead in essence. The team that has a level advantage going into a hive fight gets a strong advantage.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Played the heart of the hives mode. Seems... interesting. I could see it being fun if you're in a premade party

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
Ok. I played a few more rounds of the duos mode, Earl. Surprisingly to me, I won on my fourth round. I play overwatch, and aside from bastion, tanks (orisa) are my go to. Earl felt in my wheelhouse, with a lot of durability. Once I had strict survival in mind, I fared a lot better. A competent teammate (playing squirrel) helped. Using the self heal and a couple health packs, i stayed at full health the entire match while managing to do 2.5k in damage, comparable to the other player on my team (we both made it).

Of note, I did not encounter any of the melee heroes in the last few rounds I played, which I enjoyed. I feel like balancing high melee damage needs to come at the cost of some sacrificed in the moment mobility, a la dark souls. It feels like heroes do not commit to their attacks, but that might be due to third person perspective and liberal swinging camera.

I will say that once matchmaking gets smoothed out, the 16 player 2x8 format will feel much snappier than a lot of other games on the market. The pacing was surprising for my victory game-before I knew it, there were only two teams left, and we were totally ready for them. That felt very good. Considering this experience, I'm willing to keep trying it. It could just be that I like the prospect of a game that I can win, but I'm willing to spend a little more time on this. The totally free game I'm being super critical about.

I hope this feedback is considered in the interest of bettering the game.

E: is a blanket avatar that I have? Perhaps a reference to the pestilence driving me back to posting?

Also I felt much better about the character writing. Paladins was non-stop cringing. It's hard to get down, but nothing felt forced about the voice acting. That is a nice achievement of direction. Also loved the separate game search music for each hero. There are some thoughtful touches here. I'd suggest a way for a teammate to revive a partner in the duos mode, at the cost of splitting level/xp/something. It would stretch the BR type mode out a bit, which I felt was oddly short. Unless that's just the sort of Arena type feeling you're going for.

I did also notice a little janky camera action when backed against a wall. Actually, the characters silhouette was pretty intrusive once Aiming Down Sights. Some level of transparency would be nice, it makes your left side a weakness. Unless I'm a dink and missed a switch camera shoulder button, or it turns out you actually do go seethrough and I just missed it.

rockinsaki fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 21, 2020

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hello, i saw an article about this game yesterday and thought "that looks like it might be fun, there's a guy with a big axe" and "oh it comes out tomorrow"

i played 4 ish hive-hearts games as Drakahl and had quite a bit of fun hitting people with Big Axe. i won 2 and lost 2, i think, and have determined that the fish lady is a Coward. i like the TTK, i like the art style, i like the character variation, i like the map, i like the gameplay.

i don't usually play a lot of these kinds of multiplayer/pvp games. i get very nervous and self conscious. i'm totally okay with there being no voice chat, though i tried to ask a question or two when i first started about some objective or other thing and found that there's no text chat either. i don't know where you're supposed to take the essence canisters, for example.

the only problem/bug i had was the quick ping not registering as "enemies here!" even when i click it on an enemy. either my aim is bad (which it most certainly is) or the ping itself needs to be a bit more generous. i have not played Apex Legends or anything with a similar ping system so i don't know if i just suck at it or not. if i could bind a key to different specific pings that would help. i bound a key to the Ping Wheel but it's slower to use on the fly.

the other thing i spent some time looking at was the battle pass. from what i can tell, it seems like the "battle stars" (?) needed to unlock everything up to level 80 require you to do the Weekly challenges, which are locked behind the battle pass as well. I only got 7 points from my dailies (which are free for everyone), and if that amount holds for the rest of the 52 days in the season i'd only get ~36 levels from dailies. i could get another 64 levels from doing every Weekly challenge, but some of those are locked to Alpha Hunters mode, which I'm scared to try out. i don't know if there is any other way to earn battle stars. i feel like there should be more available so i don't feel forced to play EVERY single day or in modes that i don't want to play.

i'd also like to be able to see the reward tracks for leveling up the characters. i'm not sure how to see that. i think you can earn credits there, but i'm not sure? i think i earned some from leveling up something.

IN ANY CASE, i think this game is fun, and i hope it doesn't completely flop to the point where i won't be able to find games. you would think amazon would have spent some of their infinite money on marketing.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

After forcing my Discord buddies to download and try this with me it got delayed here for like half a day so I tried it on my own in the end.

I get the idea of farming the map was to try and create different objectives other than just fighting over control points, but man it's just not fun. You're clicking slow moving monster's heads over and over as you run around the map. It feels like the most boring part of an MMO, and you're literally just doing it because you have to to not fall behind.

But then you get to the fighting, and man that's not fun either. Everyone feels slow and clunky, and the movement abilities feel tiny since the map you're playing on is huge. People compare this to Overwatch but I think that's a mistake since all of OW takes place in relatively small areas - this game is more like Apex Legends, except that game (and Fortnite actually) allow for movement and fast running and so on to compensate for that, whereas this feels like you're plodding along, very occasionally moving quickly but then more plodding, as you whittle down huge health bars.

I get what Amazon was going for here but this is just really, really poor execution. Respawn could release a CTF mode tomorrow and pretty much have made a better version of this but without the boring PvE farming bit.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Ok, there's a little more than I gave the game credit for:

-Mendoza and Kiri (lol) both seem to play really bad as a traditional FPS dude, but Earl owns and feels like Heavy with a rocket launcher, which is dope. Tosca also feels pretty good, so I guess it doesn't feel like former two have their firepower outweigh their mobility compared to the latter?
-I thought Harvester Command was going to be hard to fill in, but since you need 16 to start the BR mode it's just the same as that. It also feels like the most fun game mode by a long shot, and probably shouldn't be hidden away behind the "Arcade" tab.
-There's one cool thing about the BR Alliance: there's a chance your teammate allies with the person that thirsted you, and then allies with them to create a 1v1 showdown at the end of the game. Still boring for the person who dies, but it happened in one of my games.
-It started running at what basically is 120 frames locked once I put everything to low. Also, my alt-tabbing issue was actually a borderless windowed issue :v:

More bad though:

-Every game I've played of the 4v4 mode has had someone leave and they've been on my team. Fix the god drat tutorial ASAP so it forces you to learn aspects of it instead of deciphering it all on the fly! My team had a 3 level advantage in one and couldn't win because it was a 3v4!
-Heart of the Hive is also just way too slow. The hive should spawn at least twice as fast as it does now, I feel like I could step away and make a sandwich and then be ready for the next big objective-based teamfight.
-Despite Shakkiri's missing reload animation being a feature instead of a bug (you know what I meant), it should still say "recharging" for your pistol even if the sword isn't out if it is gonna recharge anyway. Other animations seem bugged too to run at a low framerate, like the respawn animation.

It seems like there was and probably still is a lot of potential for the game, but it doesn't feel like it was ready for general launch. The Valorant launch model would have been much better than the Apex one, considering people are way more forgiving of a beta if it's closed and people would have probably learned the 4v4 mode through osmosis if the streamer doesn't outright explain it to them. If you want some goodwill, try and encourage people to make custom game modes and maps with some Hammer equivalent you build for this engine. If Amazon is serious about being a gamedev, getting people familiarized with tools to build games in Lumberyard will help solidify people into your ecosystem and giving away some of the assets to use like Epic did for Paragon probably is decent PR if people like me are giving the game too much heat.

and why am i working for amazon for free lol this is probably the end of my feedback until my paycheck is in the mail

e: also I keep think bugg's line "sorry, i beat you" is "sorry, i baited you" which is way funnier imo

demostars fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 21, 2020

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Congrats on winning your fourth round. AH can be steep competition. I'm really glad to hear you gave it another shot and liked it.

Kerrzhe posted:

i played 4 ish hive-hearts games as Drakahl and had quite a bit of fun hitting people with Big Axe. i won 2 and lost 2, i think, and have determined that the fish lady is a Coward. i like the TTK, i like the art style, i like the character variation, i like the map, i like the gameplay.

Point of order, I fuckin love your occasional Capitalizations.

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't know where you're supposed to take the essence canisters, for example.

We could definitely stand to do better in messaging planetary events. You have to take the essence canisters to the drop-off stations, there are typically two in random locations around the map. It doesn't point them out to you as well as it should.

Kerrzhe posted:

the only problem/bug i had was the quick ping not registering as "enemies here!" even when i click it on an enemy. either my aim is bad (which it most certainly is) or the ping itself needs to be a bit more generous.
Good feedback thanks. We definitely want to improve this system.

Kerrzhe posted:

the other thing i spent some time looking at was the battle pass. from what i can tell, it seems like the "battle stars" (?) needed to unlock everything up to level 80 require you to do the Weekly challenges, which are locked behind the battle pass as well. I only got 7 points from my dailies (which are free for everyone), and if that amount holds for the rest of the 52 days in the season i'd only get ~36 levels from dailies. i could get another 64 levels from doing every Weekly challenge, but some of those are locked to Alpha Hunters mode, which I'm scared to try out. i don't know if there is any other way to earn battle stars. i feel like there should be more available so i don't feel forced to play EVERY single day or in modes that i don't want to play.

Everything you say is true. Don't forget that everyone who logs in during the launch gets 1000 free credits and the battle pass is 950, so you basically get a free battle pass :)

You don't have to play Alpha Hunters to finish the battle pass, there are enough other challenges to finish without it. Playing AH will only get it for you faster.

Kerrzhe posted:

i'd also like to be able to see the reward tracks for leveling up the characters. i'm not sure how to see that.

Yep, that's on the list. Didn't make it for launch.

demostars posted:

-Despite Shakkiri's missing reload animation being a bug instead of a feature, it should still say "recharging" for your pistol even if the sword isn't out if it is gonna recharge anyway.

Yep, that's the sort of thing we're looking into there. Thanks for bringing it up and for giving it another shot. :)

demostars posted:

and why am i working for amazon for free lol this is probably the end of my feedback until my paycheck is in the mail

Check's in the mail.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The 4v4 mode moves waaaay too slow. Sure a 4 minute timer on the hive is fine in the opening stages of a match, but it becomes agonizing the closer people come to the highest levels. There's no tension to it, it's just a bunch of waiting around and trying to not get picked off for 3-4 minutes and then you have a 30 second hive fight. It's a total slog. The best game mode is by far the 8v8 because it's chaotic and there's always something going on. The map is simply far too big and there is too little to do with 4 people to make this an interesting game mode. What makes esports interesting is the frenetic, hyped up feel the highs have and tension of the lows of a game. This feels more like sitting in a line to get on a roller coaster.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My burning question for anyone who's played the game is: are there barriers, tanks, and support classes like in overwatch or it more all about fragging? Like, on a scale with quake on one end, overwatch on the other, and tf2 in the middle, where is crucible?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game's marketing tried so hard to be Apex Legends down to the music beats to action footage trailers, but lacking any good cuts between the footage. Just falls really flat. Also did they even try to get streamers to play it for more than 4 hours or did they all come in, have problems for the first hour or two, and then play like 3 games and stop streaming? Like Shroud played Apex for like an entire month even though he said EA only paid for 3 days.

Honestly feel bad for the dev team. Hopefully if the studio survives this, by the time their next game comes out Amazon hopefully learned to do marketing better outside of just thinking "People flock to Amazon!" and letting it lay at that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

thanks Vino for the replies :unsmith: i'm interested to see where this game goes.

Jack B Nimble posted:

My burning question for anyone who's played the game is: are there barriers, tanks, and support classes like in overwatch or it more all about fragging? Like, on a scale with quake on one end, overwatch on the other, and tf2 in the middle, where is crucible?

from what i can tell, no, there's no roles like that. certain characters like Earl have more hit points, but it's balanced out in other ways. Bugg can heal his team, but he's just as dangerous as anyone else. i've never played quake so i don't know if it's like that but it's not like overwatch, and not quite like TF2 either.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
After 3 or 4 games I want to say that the main mode might benefit from a map size redution of like 10-15% and adding another player per side for 5 each. It gets a little empty feeling sometimes especially with the glacially slow movement speed if you're saving abilities for a potential fight.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
To those talking about Heart of the Hives being too slow between hives: We've identified a gap in how we communicate the importance of optional objectives to players. The intention is that players spend this time fighting over optional objectives, mainly harvesters and amplifiers. The team that takes more optional objectives does better in fights over the hives. It's similar to how you need to take drakes and baron in League. But the game doesn't tell you any of this, leaving players to reasonably assume that time is empty space. We're aware of this and considering our options.

In my games so far I've found that since people don't know about this you can easily take those objectives and win all of your games, especially if you're in a 2/3 stack. If you take uncontested objectives you'll probably win all your games until the meta develops.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Vino posted:

To those talking about Heart of the Hives being too slow between hives: We've identified a gap in how we communicate the importance of optional objectives to players. The intention is that players spend this time fighting over optional objectives, mainly harvesters and amplifiers. The team that takes more optional objectives does better in fights over the hives. It's similar to how you need to take drakes and baron in League. But the game doesn't tell you any of this, leaving players to reasonably assume that time is empty space. We're aware of this and considering our options.

In my games so far I've found that since people don't know about this you can easily take those objectives and win all of your games, especially if you're in a 2/3 stack. If you take uncontested objectives you'll probably win all your games until the meta develops.

What about when one of the players on your team goes AFK? This has happened in about 80% of my games. Is there any system that punishes or back fills AFK players? Seems like a massive oversight.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Yep, sorry about that. That one's definitely a top priority for us to deal with. We identified this before launch and built queue backfill to deal with it, which is why sometimes games stall with 7/8 or 15/16 players connected; it's trying to find someone to replace a dropout. We'll continue to do things to improve here.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does sakirri's reflect not go where my crosshair is pointed like a pyro blast? Does it actually reflect like light would?

Also, I went through the tutorial as flamethrower lady and her actor, lines, and general tone is great; a character that sounds like they're having a good time helps me not to tilt myself.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 22, 2020

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
For Kirri's reflect you point where you want reflected things to go. It does not reflect like light.

Summer is one of my favorites for that reason. If you like that about her then also try Rahi, he's a bit more advanced but similarly upbeat.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
there should be twitch integration so I can see if anyone I beat was streaming and tune in to hear the tilt

Otherwise the lack of chat on launch is the most puzzling decision I've ever seen. It makes the base game mode feel practically unplayable in solo queue. It's much, much better with a 4stack on discord, even if I'm not sure where I stand on the game. It feels like I've had maybe 4 close matches and the rest were just absolute cakewalks.

Also can't tell if the essence gains on the scoreboard are busted? Having a lot of games where someone leads anyone else on the team by 20k, but it didn't feel like they captured more than anyone else -- might just be a lack of noticeable feedback making it hard to pin any sort of essence gain to a specific player/event/timer. This was something I noticed a decent amount in HotS with xp gains and inexperienced players, which made it harder to teach proper macro play.

Watching a twitch vod of a team we beat after being down 2-0 (from their pov), they were shocked and confused to see us 2-3 lvls ahead at the 3rd hive. We just 5capped a decent chunk of the game and backed out early from bad hive fights to instead go for objectives if we dropped 1-2 players, so they couldn't just pick us off for easy xp. Maybe they just didn't know how to hit tab but it's not blaringly obvious you have 0 extractors, yet the game displays you have 2 hearts in 2 different ways across the top of the screen.

gangnam reference fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 22, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thoughts after hive mode:
Hit markers needs to be upped, need to know where your bign shot from

Battle cadence feels wierd, both in engagements and combat pace:
Engagements: I never got into a fight in Hive mode that either side could ever successfully disengage, I was playing the 3 weapon lady and got into multiple duels with the Cat scientist and anytime one of us dashed the other just followed, there was really no like, pace or ability to disengage.
Fight itself: As a TPS having downtime where you kinda can't do anything is wierd, like with the 3 weapon lady you can easily empty your ammo stash before you can swap to another weapon. It's fine from a balance perspective just feels wierd.

The lack of chat or co ordination tools is really killing it in solo play.

Teamshooting is god, which si fine but it feels less like an ability game, I never felt like I turned a fight beyond just shooting dudes. Maybe other characters have that ability but I tried fire thrower lady and the 3 weapon one.

3 weapon lady specifically:

What is the purpose of her cloak when swapping to dagger, it lasts nowhere near long enough to actually do anything useful and most characters spread fire anyway?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

gangnam reference posted:

Also can't tell if the essence gains on the scoreboard are busted? Having a lot of games where someone leads anyone else on the team by 20k, but it didn't feel like they captured more than anyone else -- might just be a lack of noticeable feedback making it hard to pin any sort of essence gain to a specific player/event/timer. This was something I noticed a decent amount in HotS with xp gains and inexperienced players, which made it harder to teach proper macro play.

Some players capture harvesters which pump experience for them the whole game, or capture hive essence which gives them a 3k boost in one go. We need to do a better job of presenting this data to the player in a way that they understand why they got the essence and how they can improve for next time.

Stormgale posted:

Battle cadence feels wierd, both in engagements and combat pace:
Engagements: I never got into a fight in Hive mode that either side could ever successfully disengage, I was playing the 3 weapon lady and got into multiple duels with the Cat scientist and anytime one of us dashed the other just followed, there was really no like, pace or ability to disengage.

Stormgale posted:

3 weapon lady specifically:

What is the purpose of her cloak when swapping to dagger, it lasts nowhere near long enough to actually do anything useful and most characters spread fire anyway?

Tosca (cat scientist (actually Chirt scientist)) is tough to disengage from since she dots you up and then you have to either engage her or you'll die running. So that's her play style. As Sazan (3 weapon lady) the main disengage tool you have at your disposal is your knife; same logic if they're dotted up, and the cloak when swapping to it is just enough to get a dash off in an unexpected direction.

Additionally, there are a number of environmental tools at your disposal. The yellow plants are cloak plants. Memorize where they are and you can use them to get a medkit off or make like a tree. The purple plants in the higher parts of the level stuck on the walls and ceilings will fill the passage with slowing/dotting goo, cutting enemies off from chasing you.

Thanks both of you for the feedback :) My suggestions aside, all of this goes into the bucket of things we can explain to the player better so that they don't have these problems from the get go.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Vino posted:

Tosca (cat scientist (actually Chirt scientist)) is tough to disengage from since she dots you up and then you have to either engage her or you'll die running. So that's her play style. As Sazan (3 weapon lady) the main disengage tool you have at your disposal is your knife; same logic if they're dotted up, and the cloak when swapping to it is just enough to get a dash off in an unexpected direction.

Additionally, there are a number of environmental tools at your disposal. The yellow plants are cloak plants. Memorize where they are and you can use them to get a medkit off or make like a tree. The purple plants in the higher parts of the level stuck on the walls and ceilings will fill the passage with slowing/dotting goo, cutting enemies off from chasing you.

Thanks both of you for the feedback :) My suggestions aside, all of this goes into the bucket of things we can explain to the player better so that they don't have these problems from the get go.

That's fair, it's just i've noticed even as the bug bot who is a more defensive support character, no one could ever reliably escape from me because (it seems) every movement ability is roughly balanced out to provide the same distance.I slowly chased the fish sniper person (I'm never gonna remember their names sorry) over 20 seconds and they couldn't outrun me as even grapples would eventually be caught up by my shift boost + lobbing plants. It feels right now that every game (i've only played 3) falls into the following pitfalls:

1) A team not understanding they need to cap extractors
2) Quitters
3) Fights devolving into all in engagements.
Due to the above every fight with random's ive had has been basically everyone in an area going ham. Anytime i've seen an enemy retreat I pressure (even at a damage loss to stop them healing) and i've almost always one fights due to enemies not doing the same to our team. Of course with the above problems it becomes an issue the moment your side goes 3v4 or one of your team members is off in the middle of nowhere. Local flora like you mentioned could be useful but it felt like there wasnt much of them around objective points, and even if there was having to commit to locking down a corridor to heal might lose you the fight.
4) Damge dosent register.
At no point playign the game have I felt myself getting hit, I just lose health. Abilities just don't feel like they hurt until you're suddenly losing health, take Sazan, Her knife should be (paradoxically) loud and swishy as gently caress as it's her hardest hitting single move. But it just kind of silently flies and hits someone for a chunk

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Played some yesterday. Definitely generic in the aesthetics and characters, but serviceable. Lots of little issues mostly pointed out by other people... my personal biggest annoyance is overall performance on Heart Of The Hives (haven't tried Alpha Hunters yet). I have a beefy enough rig that runs other games in the genre quite well, but even on low settings the framerate is inconsistent. I can't speak for others, but for me, inconsistent/poor performance will kill a game for me faster than anything else. I need that smoothness to be there to really "connect" with a game past the trial period.

That said, the tutorial absolutely needs to be more detailed (or perhaps mode specific extra tutorials). Right now people are thrown into Heart Of The Hives with no real guidance, and that sort of thing will scare the average gamer away FAST.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I woke up this morning and realized that because Shakirri doesn't have dramatic movement abilities on cooldown, I have to use my many abilities that instead degrade enemy movement. Drop the dome late, slow the enemy with pistol shots.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Yep, all of the issues you're mentioning are things we're tracking and have improvements for in the pipe. Performance especially.

You're right that it's usually easier to engage than disengage from fights depending on the hunter. We're tracking how players behave as they learn to make use of the mechanics in the game and we'll turn knobs as things progress.

On that particular matchup: Ajonah is supposed to be easy to catch out, but then again Bugg is supposed to be weak at chasing since you deal damage mostly through the turrets. Not having seen the play I would guess that she should have been able to get away, I'm wondering whether she was using her Q (which she can detonate for damage) and squid mines effectively (which apply a slow) and taking one of the stealth plants. She also has a stealth at the end of her grapple as an upgrade which she can use to do misdirections. Maybe she didn't have the upgrade yet?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

in one of my games an ajonah was running away from me, and she jumped up onto a ledge above/behind me into some bushes and just crouched and stood still, as if i was a t-rex, but with the incredible power of my regular eyeballs i could still see her just fine lol

i like that the jungle-y nature of the map could potentially make a play like that possible, especially with no nameplates over the enemies until you detect them

Vino posted:

Yep, all of the issues you're mentioning are things we're tracking and have improvements for in the pipe. Performance especially.

i know this might not be something you're able to tell, but do you have an estimate of when an update might be coming?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kerrzhe posted:

in one of my games an ajonah was running away from me, and she jumped up onto a ledge above/behind me into some bushes and just crouched and stood still, as if i was a t-rex, but with the incredible power of my regular eyeballs i could still see her just fine lol

Might have been a difference in rendering the foliage on your two PCs, that would trip me up a lot with grass in PUBG.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

my important dev question:

when i saw the big yellow guy i was like "thats earl from toejam and earl" and now i find out his name is also earl

is that earl? does amazon own TJ&E?

coz otherwise this is a bit like genji actually being named cyberninja lol

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i like that the jungle-y nature of the map could potentially make a play like that possible, especially with no nameplates over the enemies until you detect them

i know this might not be something you're able to tell, but do you have an estimate of when an update might be coming?

lol yes

Updates immediately if there's an urgent fix (like the login failures some people are having right now) every two weeks for minor changes or updates that can't fall on a season, and every season for major updates like new hunters or game modes.

Communist Thoughts posted:

when i saw the big yellow guy i was like "thats earl from toejam and earl" and now i find out his name is also earl

lol no

lmk if anyone wants to lobby up this weekend, my steam friend code is 8238

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Communist Thoughts posted:

this is actually the reason earl doesn't have a nickname in the op, amazon did it for me :imunfunny:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This feels underdeveloped and I have no idea why you would release a competitive team game in an unpolished state in 2020. Multiplayer games are getting destroyed left and right, it's like the WoW clone MMO rush all over again trying to be the next Overwatch/PUBG/Fortnite. You have to come out of the gate like Apex, even if they weren't ready to produce a battle pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
im fuckin floored that amazon didnt sponsor a ton of streamers to play this day one. maybe they didn’t believe in it. thats just cruel though