Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

freebooter posted:

The only people currently being permitted to board a plane to Australia - since the travel ban was first implemented back in March - are either Australians or Australian permanent residents. (And it takes a long loving time to get permanent residency). They absolutely have permanent accommodation in Australia. They are all Australians. You can argue that it's unfair and unjust to force anybody into mandated hotel quarantine, but I don't really see how you can argue that it's okay for returned travellers, but Nazi Germany for non-travelled residents and citizens who test positive. I'm not saying we should be hauling them in in handcuffs and then shoving slices of pizza under the door - there are definite questions to be asked about the lack of care and services that have been provided to returned travellers in hotels - but it also worries me if our current protocol for people who've been infected is to just let them sit at home and conduct the occasional spot check.

Like I said, all of that is based on my opinion that we should be pursuing an aggressive eradication policy and then keeping the borders shut until there's a vaccine, especially since it looks like we're going to be keeping the borders shut anyway. I don't want to live through years of rolling lockdowns, years of always remembering not to touch my face and treat everything outside like it's made of raw chicken, years of always being wary from even passing other people in the street. I will happily take a harsh and long lockdown for a few months over years of semi-harsh but constantly reoccurring lockdowns, interspersed with brief months of constantly anxious freedom.

And I still don't understand why the east coast is moving towards easing the lockdown before we've reached zero cases and apparent eradication, when WA and SA and the NT have shown that's achievable.

I said may or may not have permanent accommodation because I can't definitively say "everyone in the country right now has permanent accommodation", and I doubt you can either, regardless of how long travel bans have been in place. There are still (very rare) exceptions, is my understanding, mostly on compassionate grounds. I could be wrong about that, but if your argument is predicated on "everyone in the country right now is a citizen/PR and has permanent accommodation", I'd want to see a source on it.

I never used the words Nazi Germany, please don't put comparisons like that in my mouth/posts. If you're not saying we should be hauling them in handcuffs and shoving pizza under the door, I don't understand what you're actually proposing, since that was the implication in your original post. Mandatory hotel quarantine implies hauling, you can't have it both ways - either it's universally compulsory and people get taken away whether they're consenting or not, or you've got an opt-in system, which necessarily implies people can opt-out.

If you have a plane of 300 people fly in, there's a good chance right now that some of them are infected, and is where the overwhelming majority of our cases have come from. It makes sense to keep those people in a centralised location until you're sure that they're clean, rather than having to track down and monitor 300 people individually across the state. A single infected person in the community is way easier to manage and trace than 30, multiplied by however many flights that day. If someone is repeatedly violating quarantine orders after testing positive then gently caress that person, they should be put under some kind of detention to stop them, but I haven't seen any reports of people violating orders intentionally and en masse.

In any case, there's also a political reality argument, which is that by and large, people will not vote for a government that summarily decides it can yeet people out of their homes when they haven't done anything wrong, and may have very good reasons for wanting to stay in them (e.g. local support networks, working from home set-ups, medical equipment, and a heap of others). And if you think "well I would" then that's cool, but you're absolutely in a very small minority.

To flip it around, I haven't seen any experts saying that enforced, mandatory, aggressive detention of anyone testing positive is the only method that'll get us to eradication. Australia and Victoria's cases are falling, and other states and territories that have eradicated it have done so without enforced detention, so clearly it's not a make or break requirement.

I also strongly disagree that we're going to keep either domestic or international borders shut until there's a vaccine (for a bunch of reasons, not least of all that we may never see one), but I don't feel like relitigating that particular one right now.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

The only people currently being permitted to board a plane to Australia - since the travel ban was first implemented back in March - are either Australians or Australian permanent residents. (And it takes a long loving time to get permanent residency). They absolutely have permanent accommodation in Australia. They are all Australians. You can argue that it's unfair and unjust to force anybody into mandated hotel quarantine, but I don't really see how you can argue that it's okay for returned travellers, but Nazi Germany for non-travelled residents and citizens who test positive. I'm not saying we should be hauling them in in handcuffs and then shoving slices of pizza under the door - there are definite questions to be asked about the lack of care and services that have been provided to returned travellers in hotels - but it also worries me if our current protocol for people who've been infected is to just let them sit at home and conduct the occasional spot check.

Like I said, all of that is based on my opinion that we should be pursuing an aggressive eradication policy and then keeping the borders shut until there's a vaccine, especially since it looks like we're going to be keeping the borders shut anyway. I don't want to live through years of rolling lockdowns, years of always remembering not to touch my face and treat everything outside like it's made of raw chicken, years of always being wary from even passing other people in the street. I will happily take a harsh and long lockdown for a few months over years of semi-harsh but constantly reoccurring lockdowns, interspersed with brief months of constantly anxious freedom.

And I still don't understand why the east coast is moving towards easing the lockdown before we've reached zero cases and apparent eradication, when WA and SA and the NT have shown that's achievable.

Because

And read carefully

Experts have said repeatedly we should not rely on a vaccine as a silver bullet

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Random question but I know there are a few mental health professionals here. Been looking at my PDS for my private health coverage, and it doesn't seem to include psychiatric at all. Is this the norm, is the public system generally the way to go, or are only rich people allowed to get psychiatric help (it's this isn't it)

Not a mental health professional but a PHI one. Check your extras for outpatient psych. Your hospital cover unless Gold probably won't have inpatient psych on it

Even if your PDS doesn't have psych, give them a call. A few providers are paying psych on all extras policies right now.

Another good option is as someone else suggested, getting a mental health care plan from your GP and finally, check if your employer has an EAP program.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
This thread is interested in union horror tales.

So the AFL Players Association negotiated a paycut deal for players to share some of the burden of lost revenue for the league.

AFL players salaries range from $1.5M/year at the top end, to $85k at the bottom end.

You might think that given that, there would be some sort of sliding scale with higher paid players sacrificing a higher % so lower earning players can make ends meet. You'd be wrong. Instead, the deal cuts all players salaries by 50%. The AFLPA have established a $500k hardship fund for lower earning players to beg for so they can feed their kids, and they're also eligible for JobKeeper payments (which of course don't increase the money going to the player, but rather fund the AFL).

On a totally unrelated note, the President of the AFLPA is one of the league's current highest paid players.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

This thread is interested in union horror tales.

So the AFL Players Association negotiated a paycut deal for players to share some of the burden of lost revenue for the league.

AFL players salaries range from $1.5M/year at the top end, to $85k at the bottom end.

You might think that given that, there would be some sort of sliding scale with higher paid players sacrificing a higher % so lower earning players can make ends meet. You'd be wrong. Instead, the deal cuts all players salaries by 50%. The AFLPA have established a $500k hardship fund for lower earning players to beg for so they can feed their kids, and they're also eligible for JobKeeper payments (which of course don't increase the money going to the player, but rather fund the AFL).

On a totally unrelated note, the President of the AFLPA is one of the league's current highest paid players.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

Because you really can't unless you want everyone to end up eating rats. You can't compare states with small, dispersed populations compared to the eastern states.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Trying to wait out zero cases might take months then one imported case will require lockdowns for another two weeks all the while the means of producing food and product is being atrophied.

Nobody involved in producing and distributing food is under lockdown. Nobody with an essential job is not still doing that job, which goes both for WA/SA and the east coast.

CelestialScribe posted:

Because

And read carefully

Experts have said repeatedly we should not rely on a vaccine as a silver bullet

Then what is our actual game plan here? "There may never be a vaccine" does not mean "there will never be a vaccine." If we are assuming defeat from the start, and conceding that it's just a matter of time before the elderly and immunocompromised are killed, what are we doing here?

My suspicion is that the government is actually aiming for eradication, like NZ, but won't say so publicly in case it's unsuccessful.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Just call them a oval office like a normal racist and sexist Australian.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-20/wha-passes-coronavirus-investigation-australia-what-cost/12265896

I feel I am owed an apology from the Global Times for them not atributing the 'Kangaroo Dog' analysis to Cartoon, SA Forums.

Can we just skip ahead to sacking Marise Payne and getting some one in who can actually pronounce 'diplomacy'?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Maybe its better economically for the eastern states if all the borders open up, but the consumer confidence from living in a Covid 'eradicated' state is observable by the naked eye.

Getting rid of the virus in the east completely is going to be much easier / have more resources to do it, if it's contained to the Eastern states.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Please remember South Australia is basically just a giant retirement home.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

One tactic the union is undertaking is holding a division wide ballot in each state, rather than allowing individual branches to hold their own votes. This avoids the SALTies using their preferred tactic of calling meeting after meeting until the rank and file members stop coming, and they can pass a motion when they have the numbers.

This is really smart, seeing as some of the RMIT committee were boasting that they had a majority branch vote against the JPF at a meeting of 400 members. Sounds like a lot, until you consider that the branch has 1500 members. Passing a divisive motion at a branch meeting and passing that off as representative is really fuckin dodgy.

(If non-nteu goons are sick of this poo poo I'll stop posting about it; it just seems like there 6 or 7 NTEU goons in here and it's a pretty hosed up situation we find ourselves in)

It helps me have a wider context for NTEU stuff, so thanks so much :)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hews Carpe to launch another streaming service this weekend.

Exclusive NBC HBO HBO Max FX Showtime and Australian made shows.

Aims to "destroy Netflix to save foxtel"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Don Dongington posted:

One tactic the union is undertaking is holding a division wide ballot in each state, rather than allowing individual branches to hold their own votes. This avoids the SALTies using their preferred tactic of calling meeting after meeting until the rank and file members stop coming, and they can pass a motion when they have the numbers.

This is really smart, seeing as some of the RMIT committee were boasting that they had a majority branch vote against the JPF at a meeting of 400 members. Sounds like a lot, until you consider that the branch has 1500 members. Passing a divisive motion at a branch meeting and passing that off as representative is really fuckin dodgy.

(If non-nteu goons are sick of this poo poo I'll stop posting about it; it just seems like there 6 or 7 NTEU goons in here and it's a pretty hosed up situation we find ourselves in)

Hey I am really enjoying unionchat. Also Mr Froglet is a member and maybe it means I understand when he tries to talk to me about it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

You mean destroy Foxtel to save :filez:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Anidav posted:

When’s it start and how much? I’ll cancel Foxtel.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

If they take B99 from Netflix I'm burning their offices down.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

When’s it start and how much? I’ll cancel Foxtel.

May 30

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Anidav posted:

Is this a real thing?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

teacup posted:

Is this a real thing?

It will feature over 10,000 hours of content, including curated local and international dramas and movies.

Foxtel already has content deals with US networks like HBO, which will see shows like Friends and The Big Bang Theory move from Stan to News Corp, as well as content from Warner Bros, Sony, NBCU, FX and the BBC.

The platform will host anticipated new releases for the soon-to-be-launched US streaming platform HBO Max.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Today's NSW corona-conference is making me very nervous.

quote:

NSW has always led the way, and again NSW is leading the way.

We will not let this virus beat NSW. But as we do open up, and as we do make sure that our economy will lead again this nation, I also want to make sure that all of us understand that this virus is still out there, it’s still lurking, and we still have to be careful.

The way that we’re moving forward is in a cautious and sensible way.

It has the maximum of 50 people in a cafe or restaurant, but a lesser number if the cafe or restaurant, defined by the four-square-metre rule, requires a lesser number.

So, for example, if you had 80 square metres, you would have 20 people. That’s the basic lesson. Just do the basic maths.

And, of course, my advice to all of us is, as I’ve said many times, as we open up our economy, we don’t need to open ourselves up to the virus.

By just being cautious, we won’t.

It is not a high jumper, it is not a long jumper.

Just maintain the social distance of 1.5 metres, and also hygiene – washing your hands like you’ve never done before. If you arrive at the restaurant, the first thing you should do is use hand hygienic cleaner, or go and wash your hands.

Then sit down, enjoy your dinner, do what NSW residents have always done, have a great night out with your friends, but be cautious, be careful, and this will work to the advantage of the entire community, but also keep you safe.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

It will feature over 10,000 hours of content, including curated local and international dramas and movies.

Foxtel already has content deals with US networks like HBO, which will see shows like Friends and The Big Bang Theory move from Stan to News Corp, as well as content from Warner Bros, Sony, NBCU, FX and the BBC.

The platform will host anticipated new releases for the soon-to-be-launched US streaming platform HBO Max.

Can't wait for another hilarious season of Pacific Heat™

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Don Dongington posted:

I don't mind the posting, I just wish I knew what SALT was :argh:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a tasty treat

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
with the amount of streaming services you need you may as well pirate poo poo now

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Buttcoin purse posted:

I don't mind the posting, I just wish I knew what SALT was :argh:
Socialist
Alliance
Lunatic
Twat

Unless the context was State and Local Tax.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Socialist ALTernative

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well I have finally been hit by the COVID crisis like many others.

After much debate between my office powers-that-be and my regional manager it has been decided my contract will not be renewed at end of financial year.

gently caress.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

Well I have finally been hit by the COVID crisis like many others.

After much debate between my office powers-that-be and my regional manager it has been decided my contract will not be renewed at end of financial year.

gently caress.

Sorry to hear that mate.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

with the amount of streaming services you need you may as well pirate poo poo now

Yeah, I have netflix and anything else I just torrent.

Congrats streaming services, you played yourself.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Anybody seeing the jobkeeper stuff up by treasury? Only $60bn off

The Guardian posted:

So what happened? Instead of reporting how many employees were eligible, businesses reported how much they expected to receive for their employees.

In that way, one became 1,500.

We are not joking. Here is the official release.

Joint media release with the Australian Taxation Office

Late yesterday, the ATO and Treasury advised the Government of a reporting error in estimates of the number of employees likely to access the JobKeeper program.

The enrolment forms completed by 910,055 businesses who have self‑assessed as eligible under the scheme had indicated that this program would cover around 6.5 million eligible employees.

The ATO’s review of these forms has found that around 1,000 of those businesses appear to have made significant errors when reporting the estimate of eligible employees on their enrolment form.

The most common error was that instead of reporting the number of employees they expected to be eligible, they reported the amount of assistance they expected to receive.

For example, over 500 businesses with ‘1’ eligible employee reported a figure of ‘1,500’ (which is the amount of JobKeeper payment they would expect to receive for each fortnight for that employee).

This reporting error has come to light as the ATO and Treasury have been analysing the amounts being paid out under the scheme, reconciling these with the estimates provided by enrolled businesses of the likely number of eligible employees. It was not picked up by the ATO earlier as their primary focus in the first fortnight of JobKeeper payments was on ensuring that JobKeeper payments were paid promptly to those eligible for them, and not paid to those who were ineligible. These initial estimates from businesses of employees covered are not linked to payments, and so were not as carefully analysed.

Importantly this reporting error has no consequences for JobKeeper payments that have already been made to eligible businesses, as payments under the scheme depend on the subsequent declaration that an eligible business makes in relation to each and every eligible employee. This declaration does not involve estimates and requires an employer to provide the tax file number for each eligible employee. By contrast, the only use of the information collected in respect of the reporting error was to provide an early estimate of the number of expected employees likely to access the JobKeeper program.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Massive amount, but honestly easy to happen when working with datasets that large where a focus is on getting payments out. Like the article says, it was the estimations that were out, not the money actually paid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bowmore posted:

Do you need them

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Buy Australian, support Stan.

The true blue Aussie stream

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The only true blue Aussie stream is piss.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

The only true blue Aussie stream is piss.

mate if your piss is blue, you gotta cut back on the premixes, they are for teenagers.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

But the news this morning told me that Chinese power providers using Chinese coal was economic war against Australia. I don't want to be drafted into a trade war by subscribing to Stan instead of Netflix :ohdear:

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Senor Tron posted:

Massive amount, but honestly easy to happen when working with datasets that large where a focus is on getting payments out. Like the article says, it was the estimations that were out, not the money actually paid.

here’s the thing:

a lot of businesses are very dumb

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/1263692963948793856

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

Do you need them
You need - to watch what you want to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

it'll have a poo poo name