Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Confidence is part of it. The other part is not having massive anxiety once you're in front of the camera, which is why a lot of wrestlers struggle with promos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taynara Conti wasn't ready for national television but she would have been better off going to other places to get in ring time and practice her craft rather than stuck in the Performance Centre doing running drills

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Better Than You posted:

Confidence is part of it. The other part is not having massive anxiety once you're in front of the camera, which is why a lot of wrestlers struggle with promos.

WWE will never produce a good promo as long as vince lives. Everything's couched in their newspeak that no one is able to parse it naturally.

And before you start listing off "good" promos, remember most of the good ones happened in spite of the direction from the back

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, it's not going to get better because you can't exactly put newspeak back into the bottle.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

coconono posted:

And before you start listing off "good" promos, remember most of the good ones happened in spite of the direction from the back
Well yeah, any good promo since whenever Vince decided to push "brand" over talent and micromanage the gently caress out of everything was always off-script

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

karmicknight posted:

I mean, it's not going to get better because you can't exactly put newspeak back into the bottle.

"format sheet says you got 2 minutes to get yourself over and name the date time and place for your big match, get it right or you're fired"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HHH gives them 20 minutes a week to talk because it worked so well for him

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

coconono posted:

"format sheet says you got 2 minutes to get yourself over and name the date time and place for your big match, get it right or you're fired"

There is no way the corporate wrestling company politics will allow for the writers room to be out of the job they think they are needed to do. I'm not saying it wouldn't be super easy to fix, I'm saying that the will to fix it will not exist because people don't want to lose their place in the kingdom.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Deonna on a union posted: posted:

I think it would definitely be beneficial but I don't know that everyone will be on board. That's one of the things – you need 100 percent of the body to be a part of. I feel like it would be a real struggle to get some of those top guys to agree to anything because they're taken care of. I don't really have an opinion on it because I'm kinda ignorant to all of that. I just feel that as much as we push, you need 100 percent and if you're not gonna have 100 percent, it's never gonna work. The bottom is the bottom and the top is the top and there is a big gap in between. To get those people to reconcile and agree on things, it would be hard.

Would they need 100% to start a union? It isn't like trying to find scab employees to work the register at Walmart, it's a TV show with established names and talent that need a particular skill. Just throwing bodies out there is going to hurt their ratings, the TV deals, and the company as a whole. Now was the time to do it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Florida loop shows should be for improving those people but they just book them in the same kinds of matches on those shows because the company is dumb as gently caress

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

karmicknight posted:

There is no way the corporate wrestling company politics will allow for the writers room to be out of the job they think they are needed to do. I'm not saying it wouldn't be super easy to fix, I'm saying that the will to fix it will not exist because people don't want to lose their place in the kingdom.

Those writers are shown time and time again to have less than zero power in WWE's corporate structure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Would they need 100% to start a union? It isn't like trying to find scab employees to work the register at Walmart, it's a TV show with established names and talent that need a particular skill. Just throwing bodies out there is going to hurt their ratings, the TV deals, and the company as a whole. Now was the time to do it.
No. You need 30% to sign authorization cards - that they desire to be represented by a union. These are forwarded to NLRB who investigate the company and cards to ensure they're legitimate and include no management, then run an election which requires a simple majority to win unionization.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

coconono posted:

WWE will never produce a good promo as long as vince lives. Everything's couched in their newspeak that no one is able to parse it naturally.

I bolded the important word.

People who are great promos can turn the WWE script into good material, but these people are already great. They already have the confidence, charisma, and character down. Things which are far more important to a wrestling promo than the actual words.

WWE, and the performance centre doesn't do anything with any of those 3 C's. And in many cases actively fights against them. Once you make it to WWE TV, it is more important to the crazy man in charge that you memorize the words, rather than deliver them entertainingly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

coconono posted:

It's hilarious how obvious this is now that guys who 'couldn't cut a promo' in WWE are working in places like AEW who just let them go do their thing on camera.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The thing about being a "good promo" is that there are multiple ways to get there. Some people are naturals who can just go off the cuff and spin magic off the top of their heads. Others don't have that ability, and ideally that's where a good production team comes in to help them lay out what they're saying and rehearse it and scrap what isn't working, basically polish it off so it looks good when they go on TV.

Much like everything in wrestling, there is no one right way, and ultimately it's the promotion's job to emphasize their talents' strengths and minimize their weaknesses. But of course WWE has Their Way of cutting promos and insist on forcing everyone into the same square peg whether it works for them or not, so we got this mess we're in right now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yep.         probably the hardest promo i ever had in my life. but i don't like it when things aren't my—goin' my way. motley cruz, you turned the tables on me. you turned the tables in a wrong way. you got me. Mad now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

yep.         probably the hardest promo i ever had in my life. but i don't like it when things aren't my—goin' my way. motley cruz, you turned the tables on me. you turned the tables in a wrong way. you got me. Mad now.

:hmmyes:

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxXr1s2TDw

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there is an mma fighter or wrestler who i don't remember the name of but he cuts a promo saying something about having sex with the opponent or something as a slip of the tongue but i can't find it. i can only find mike tyson's homophobia when i search for what i am thinking of. maybe it wasn't a mistake and i am misremembering. I could have had a dream about this happening and thought it was real for a long time

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 22, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

there is an mma fighter or wrestler who i don't remember the name of but he cuts a promo saying something about having sex with the opponent or something as a slip of the tongue but i can't find it. i can only find mike tyson's homophobia when i search for what i am thinking of. maybe it wasn't a mistake and i am misremembering. I could have had a dream about this happening and thought it was real for a long time

Brock is really gonna take Seth to poundtown

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the tiny morsel of memory i have recalls very explicit action being mentioned, such as fuggin or jaggin. one day many years from now someone will save me

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cavauro posted:

Dark Side of the Ring: The Disappearance of Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

nobody knows what happened to this guy. if he's not dead i hope somebody tells him he could be selling shirts based on that promo and making quite a bit from it probably

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seams posted:

Dark Side of the Ring: The Disappearance of Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

nobody knows what happened to this guy. if he's not dead i hope somebody tells him he could be selling shirts based on that promo and making quite a bit from it probably

I hope he's alive and working some normal job like house framer or truck driver, and has no idea his horrible promo has become IWC legend :unsmith:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cavauro posted:

the tiny morsel of memory i have recalls very explicit action being mentioned, such as fuggin or jaggin. one day many years from now someone will save me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzh18yGKo0

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dude. aahhhh. you made someone have a good day of their life.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Cavauro posted:

did not read past this post if someone beat me but you may be looking for "i'm gonna gently caress you til you love me"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jeff Monson is a kremlin-aligned anarchist. Probably not a good person.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cams posted:

did not read past this post if someone beat me but you may be looking for "i'm gonna gently caress you til you love me"

it was the jeff monson video. Thank you for helping however

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Also, Wanderlei Silva wanted to gently caress Chuck Liddell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCEdGU6ki8

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Cavauro posted:

it was the jeff monson video. Thank you for helping however
no worries, when i googled it it turned out it was the homophobic tyson stuff you mentioned

or at least other homophobic tyson stuff

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My wife overheard me watching this and thought he said "dom kink tv.com" which makes some sense considered how the promo starts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

Jeff Monson is a kremlin-aligned anarchist. Probably not a good person.

Jeff Monson turning into a United Russia shill was such a loving bummer. In the sea of absolutely awful MMA fighters there's a guy who is a legit ancom. But instead he goes to be a useful idiot for Putin. Bummer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WWE cease and desisted the Revival's shirt making fun of the gimmick they proposed them before the release https://www.bodyslam.net/2020/05/22/exclusive-wwe-hits-the-revival-with-cease-and-desist/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

WWE cease and desisted the Revival's shirt making fun of the gimmick they proposed them before the release https://www.bodyslam.net/2020/05/22/exclusive-wwe-hits-the-revival-with-cease-and-desist/

:laffo:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did wwe just provide the first completely legit proof that the whole thing was real

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still convinced that was the only point of the t-shirts. Well that and to make a few bucks until they had a laugh.

I'm not sure what it accomplished, but its mildly funny. And they probably made a few bucks.

I don't get why they're not just calling themselves FTR. Is that owned by WWE too?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If the Fed has seriously copyrighted the name Forever The Revival (FTR) then smdh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought FTR was Fight The Revival?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought the Elite coined it as gently caress The Revival. And then the Revival adopted as "Fight". And then it became "Free" for fans.

Which is why I would think the easiest choice would be to just call themselves "FTR" and argue that the Elite were using it outside WWE years ago. But if WWE owns "FTR" too I guess that kills that as its not worth the fight.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
They should trademark FVKM and run with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Better Than You posted:

They should trademark FVKM and run with it

Too many comparisons to the Voodoo Kin Mafia for that to happen.