Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
currently in a zoom hearing and I can't stop looking at myself. A modern day Narcissius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
lotsa quarantine hair up in this bitch.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

WarrenLifeisStrang posted:

Horse people are low-key Tiger King people, and then you throw in the law degree and it’s a perfect storm.

I once was involved in a contested probate of the estate of successful senior counsel who owned a horse training facility. You have no idea.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
I don't understand the psychology of people who pretend to be lawyers. Like, of all the professions to pretend to be, why choose the one where people celebrate your death (in the abstract if your lucky, or personally if you're really lucky and make some enemies)?

And if you're going to grift, why give people a way to unravel the grift as easy as looking up your name in the state bar directory?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
People don’t understand what lawyers actually do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nice piece of fish posted:

Myself I got a cheap-rear end Neato Botvac, it's pretty functional. Does the whole kitchen and living room in one fell sweep. Only problem is the hair, oh the goddamned hair collecting.

Yeah I went for the Neato because it has the d shape. The house is already MUCH easier on my allergies. I wish it had a clearer "the bin is full" notification but overall yeah this was something I should've gotten a long while ago.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Unamuno posted:

I don't understand the psychology of people who pretend to be lawyers. Like, of all the professions to pretend to be, why choose the one where people celebrate your death (in the abstract if your lucky, or personally if you're really lucky and make some enemies)?

It is part of our cultural beliefs. Same reason people think doctors are smart. It's just some generalized cultural belief that often bears no resemblance to reality.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

People don’t understand what lawyers actually do.

This, and lawyers are generally intimidating (to the uninitiated).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Unamuno posted:

And if you're going to grift, why give people a way to unravel the grift as easy as looking up your name in the state bar directory?

I think its because people see a lawyer as someone who other people listen to; its probably because someone wants to feel heard, and acknowledged.

Which is hilarious because half my clients don't loving listen to me, half our judges don't listen, none of my bosses do and my loving kids sure as poo poo don't either.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Welp. I'm about one month into studying for the LSAT and all the OP does is make me depressed and doompost.

One, I don't have a choice other than to go to law school. Two, paying for it isn't a problem. Three, don't really give a poo poo about job opportunities after.

All I have left is the LSAT on July 13th, and that will determine the rest of my life. I wont go over the rest of my merits but I'll just say my LSAT score is the only thing determining whether I'll go to a T14 school or a top 40 school.

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 21, 2020

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Related, can we have an OP updated to reflect that I've passed the bar and am now part of this miserable hellscape profession

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
how does one not have a choice about whether or not to go to lawschool? If you're rich and your dad is like "be a lawyer or you're cut off" who gives a gently caress where you go to school just apply to all the party schools and enjoy life before you fall into your cushy job working for your dad or one of his friends.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

Welp. I'm about one month into studying for the LSAT and all the OP does is make me depressed and doompost.

One, I don't have a choice other than to go to law school. Two, paying for it isn't a problem. Three, don't really give a poo poo about job opportunities after.

All I have left is the LSAT on July 13th, and that will determine the rest of my life. I wont go over the rest of my merits but I'll just say my LSAT score is the only thing determining whether I'll go to a T14 school or a top 40 school.

Blink twice if you are being held at gunpoint to go to law school.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Chuka Umana posted:

Lol why are you even studying or care about where you go to law school then?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

This isn't Devs, you have a choice. Is this Devs?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mr. Nice! posted:

how does one not have a choice about whether or not to go to lawschool? If you're rich and your dad is like "be a lawyer or you're cut off" who gives a gently caress where you go to school just apply to all the party schools and enjoy life before you fall into your cushy job working for your dad or one of his friends.

My bet is that OP has some sort of humanities degree and now thinks they "have to" go to law school because they think there are no other career options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
A third of my law school class were people who "had to" go to law school because daddy was a senior partner somewhere and was paying for it all.

About a third of them bailed at some point - one got up and walked out halfway through the Contracts exam - but all the ones I'm still in touch with ended up fine, whether they finished or bailed they all have decent jobs now doing something, or they married well.

Lot.of the ones who bailed ended up in real estate.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Got fired from my job as a 2nd year associate at a small PI firm today due to nobody playing bumper cars out on the road due to COVID-19. I've got about 40 cases I'll be leaving with and negotiating a fee split with the partners.

Best use of that for me is leverage in finding a new gig, but assuming that doesn't happen until the world reopens, I think I'm choosing between sharing office space with one of my solo pals to get these cases wrapped up (none should go longer than a couple months) or doing some fly-by-night sole practitioner set up.

I have 0 experience with the management side of a small law firm, but I wouldn't need anything beyond registering as a PC, a domain email, a fax number, and an IOLTA account to get these cases cleared, after which I would anticipate turning everything off and proceeding with my next job. Is this a super bad idea?

I have no interest in really hanging a shingle, though I would be curious in the thread's perspective on when is "too young" to do that (read, regardless of actual experience or ability nobody will hire you for looking like Dougie Howser)

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Chuka Umana posted:

drat if the OP makes you qq then I imagine law school isn't gonna be a fun experience. Too bad you are legal jesus or whatever mandates that you have to attend.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol why are you even studying or care about where you go to law school then?

It's about personally challenging myself. Quitting after undergrad and accepting an easy life is indulgent. I want to be miserable and working long hours, spending my entire life reading law books and working on cases. Life is not about fun and happiness it's about personal improvement.

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 22, 2020

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

It's about personally challenging myself. Quitting after undergrad and accepting an easy life is indulgent. I want to be miserable and working long hours, spending my entire life reading law books and working on cases. Life is not about fun and happiness it's about personal improvement.

buddy I don't know how you read the OP and thought law school was about personal improvement

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why not do something useful for other people with your struggles as opposed to becoming an attorney? There are so many different causes that you could commit yourself to without going to law school, many of them difficult and thankless. Wanting a law license because you think it's a difficult process is a very stupid reason. Hell, it's not even that difficult, it just requires that you have a significant chunk of change and the time to commit to passing the bar.

If you're wealthy it'll be doubly easy so you really won't be proving or accomplishing much simply by becoming a lawyer.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nonexistence posted:

Got fired from my job as a 2nd year associate at a small PI firm today due to nobody playing bumper cars out on the road due to COVID-19. I've got about 40 cases I'll be leaving with and negotiating a fee split with the partners.

Best use of that for me is leverage in finding a new gig, but assuming that doesn't happen until the world reopens, I think I'm choosing between sharing office space with one of my solo pals to get these cases wrapped up (none should go longer than a couple months) or doing some fly-by-night sole practitioner set up.

I have 0 experience with the management side of a small law firm, but I wouldn't need anything beyond registering as a PC, a domain email, a fax number, and an IOLTA account to get these cases cleared, after which I would anticipate turning everything off and proceeding with my next job. Is this a super bad idea?

I have no interest in really hanging a shingle, though I would be curious in the thread's perspective on when is "too young" to do that (read, regardless of actual experience or ability nobody will hire you for looking like Dougie Howser)

Sorry they canned you man, but you’ll be fine. If you can pass the bar you can run a law firm until it closes.

Maybe you’ll even get a wild good case!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Crippling mental illness and substance abuse problems are a very strange form of self improvement.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

You can just work an enjoyable job and use your paycheck to pay a dominatrix if you want someone smashing your face with their boot, it’ll be cheaper and more fun.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Chuka Umana posted:

What kind of law work do you imagine fits those requirements?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chuka Umana posted:

If you want to personally challenge yourself, just loving rock climb or something. Be objective focused, not challenge focused.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This, and lawyers are generally intimidating (to the uninitiated).

Legalese & the title of "esquire." Powerful agents to the uninitiated; but we are initiated aren't we, Bruce.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Chuka Umana posted:

“I want to be miserable.”

Okay, buddy.

As others have said, becoming a lawyer isn’t that hard at all. Law school won’t flunk you out bc they want your tuition money. My law class had a ton of dumb asses. Then you spend two months studying 40 hrs a week to pass the bar.

Do something miserable that actually helps people.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Hahahahahaha god I love this dumb loving thread

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chuka Umana posted:

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad. This is the worst reason to go to law school that I think we've ever had.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chuka Umana posted:

Go into STEM then.

Law isn't improvement. Law is just power and pressure.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Tree law? Trees are cool, we should have more tree photos ITT.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Nonexistence posted:

I don't think it's a bad idea so long as your are clear that your goal is not to build a successful long term practice. If you don't plan on making this permanent I'd give myself a hard deadline to exit solo life. A lot of what separates successful solos from bottom feeders is the realization that this is a business first and foremost. In other words, setting up a business plan, getting a somewhat credible website (which I noticed wasn't on your list), learning some basic SEO to get your site indexed, a marketing plan, etc. These aren't necessarily capital intensive (aside from probably marketing), but they take a lot of time to plan and execute. On top of that, the first few months of solo work loving sucks because you'll need to plan extra time in the day to do things your secretary, receptionist, and office manager did at your own firm. You'll never appreciate your secretary more then when you're answering your own phone and drafting your own letters and invoices. My first year on my own I was working 6 days a week because I was drowning in bullshit administrative work and didn't have a solid plan on how to streamline it. This burns you out pretty quickly meaning its even more difficult to be productive at work.

In short, if this is a temporary gig your primary goal should be keeping expenses as low as possible as you network and plan your exit. If your goal is to run a successful solo practice your goal should be client acquisition and some brand management. The people who try and do both at the same time end up as solos making basically nothing.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

GamingHyena posted:

I don't think it's a bad idea so long as your are clear that your goal is not to build a successful long term practice. If you don't plan on making this permanent I'd give myself a hard deadline to exit solo life. A lot of what separates successful solos from bottom feeders is the realization that this is a business first and foremost. In other words, setting up a business plan, getting a somewhat credible website (which I noticed wasn't on your list), learning some basic SEO to get your site indexed, a marketing plan, etc. These aren't necessarily capital intensive (aside from probably marketing), but they take a lot of time to plan and execute. On top of that, the first few months of solo work loving sucks because you'll need to plan extra time in the day to do things your secretary, receptionist, and office manager did at your own firm. You'll never appreciate your secretary more then when you're answering your own phone and drafting your own letters and invoices. My first year on my own I was working 6 days a week because I was drowning in bullshit administrative work and didn't have a solid plan on how to streamline it. This burns you out pretty quickly meaning its even more difficult to be productive at work.

In short, if this is a temporary gig your primary goal should be keeping expenses as low as possible as you network and plan your exit. If your goal is to run a successful solo practice your goal should be client acquisition and some brand management. The people who try and do both at the same time end up as solos making basically nothing.

Thanks, website wasn't on the list because I in fact plan on taking on no new clients whatsoever, just turn my current ones into whatever money they are going to become then move on to my next firm.

...weasel hire me I want to change practice areas and ride the bankruptcy wave

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
okay maybe i was being ridiculous cuz lsat studying is being a pain. Am I supposed to do exercises like this for most of law school? The LSAT isn't extremely difficult in its questions but I find it extremely easy to make simple mistakes so I guess practicing is the only solution.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

okay maybe i was being ridiculous cuz lsat studying is being a pain. Am I supposed to do exercises like this for most of law school? The LSAT isn't extremely difficult in its questions but I find it extremely easy to make simple mistakes so I guess practicing is the only solution.

The LSAT has precisely nothing to do with what you’ll do in law school or as a lawyer.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Kalman posted:

The LSAT has precisely nothing to do with what you’ll do in law school or as a lawyer.

At the same time, the LSAT is learnable, easy, and relatively fun.

This dude doesn't want to be a lawyer anyway.

And seriously dude, don't go. Unless you're at the very very top of the profession there is nothing intellectually challenging about law.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

Practicing is the best way to get good at the LSAT and nothing at all like law school, in any way. Before you study any more, you should talk to as many lawyers as you can, as soon as you can. You have no idea what you're getting into, and finding out what you're getting into is shockingly easy (and it didn't even occur to you to look into it, which should worry you now that I've pointed it out). I don't know you, law school might be perfect for you, but whatever you're imagining it is...it isn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Bushido Brown posted:

At the same time, the LSAT is learnable, easy, and relatively fun.

This dude doesn't want to be a lawyer anyway.

And seriously dude, don't go. Unless you're at the very very top of the profession there is nothing intellectually challenging about law.

i was just being a masochist. I actually enjoy studying for the lsat not gonna lie though with the exam getting closer (July 13th) I've been going for 6-8 hours a day studying