Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Comrade Koba posted:

It’s mostly “boring vanilla MMO” with a thin coating of Elder Scrolls lore on top of it. The expansions have slightly higher quality writing but that’s about it.

The Morrowind main storyline is pretty great and has some neat call backs (foreshadowing??) for the Morrowind story. Haha, that guy can't be the Nerevarine, I was/will be!!

ASenileAnimal posted:

ive done this and its great. my 2hander stamina templar is prettymuch indestructable unless im in a group dungeon or world boss. i know everyone swears by dual wield but rally and brawler are just too good for me to give up.

This so much. Especially since you actually get stronger in large groups of mobs. I love going into public dungeons and watching people get swarmed and and run away while I charge in with my Battle-ax going :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

It’s mostly “boring vanilla MMO” with a thin coating of Elder Scrolls lore on top of it. The expansions have slightly higher quality writing but that’s about it.

Speaking of this, I'm just getting back into the game and every single time I play I end up making a new character (always a Dark Elf because why not), and I've played the two starting zones to death. I don't have any of the DLC, but I have a metric ton of unspent crowns from my plus membership so I can theoretically get them – any suggestions on some different zones to try to spice things up a bit? I'm spoiled for choice, and have no idea which spot on the map to click.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

kedo posted:

Speaking of this, I'm just getting back into the game and every single time I play I end up making a new character (always a Dark Elf because why not), and I've played the two starting zones to death. I don't have any of the DLC, but I have a metric ton of unspent crowns from my plus membership so I can theoretically get them – any suggestions on some different zones to try to spice things up a bit? I'm spoiled for choice, and have no idea which spot on the map to click.

The starting zones are linked together with the rest of the alliance zones, so theoretically you’ve got a single storyline stretching from Stonefalls -> Deshaan -> Shadowfen -> Eastmarch -> The Rift, but if you don’t want to slog through Deshaan and Shadowfen to get to the two Skyrim zones (and I wouldn’t blame you), there’s always the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild DLC zones with their associated questlines.

CyberGeist
Aug 31, 2001
WORTHLESS
DELETED

CyberGeist fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2023

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

kedo posted:

If you get the any race, any aliance option, you can play a Dunmer through the other factions.

But otherwise you could login and pick one of the crowd of NPCs with a diamond icon yelling at you every 5 seconds and go on a mystery quest.

"Do you know how long I've been looking for you?"

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 20, 2020

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

kedo posted:

First, if you have ESO Plus, there's no need to buy the DLC. You can just go and do it!

If you don't want to play the starting zones, one option is just skipping the vanilla storyline for a while and doing the next most coherent set. Morrowind -> Clockwork City -> Summerset is a good, full-narrative-feeling progression, and if you get tired of the landscape you can always skip over and do Thieves Guild, DBG, and Orsinium. Orsinium is definitely worth doing a 100% on if you like costumes, because finishing the zone and doing the optional achievements gives 4 dope looking costumes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Awesome, thanks for the advice, thread! Ya'll rock.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
About what level do you need to be before starting the Morrowind content?

vvv thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 20, 2020

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Any level, since the game has level scaling. You can play co-op with high level players

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/elder-scrolls-onlines-level-scaling-is-what-more-mmos-need

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
When all Chapters come out all new characters who have access to that content start in that chapter. Been that way since... well, Morrowind!

It's actually one of the thigns that bothers me because the game wants you to, say, play through Elsweyr first, but because of that you'll be real confused during the original MQ.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

was having a bit of trouble with my thief character as i think i may have went a bit overboard with the "good at sneaking but cant fight for poo poo" gimmick so i dropped the bow and holy crap its fun to oneshot badguys with sneak uppercuts

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Are there any classes that are really catered-to thematically over other classes? Like is there a ton of Thief stuff like underground hangouts and dark brotherhood type stuff for Nightblades, or a bunch of holy temples and righteous, demon-cleansing missions for Wardens, etc.?

Basically, are there any particularly favored classes for RP'ing and lore stuff?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any classes that are really catered-to thematically over other classes? Like is there a ton of Thief stuff like underground hangouts and dark brotherhood type stuff for Nightblades, or a bunch of holy temples and righteous, demon-cleansing missions for Wardens, etc.?

Basically, are there any particularly favored classes for RP'ing and lore stuff?

There’s no class-exclusive content at all that I’m aware of. Everyone can sneak, so you can do the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood stuff as a burly, plate-wearing barbarian or the Mages Guild quests without ever using magic if you want to.

That said, if you want to stick to a theme, I guess a thief/assassin kind of character would have lots of stuff to do if you work through both the TG and DB DLC:s.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Playing the Mages Guild quest line (and Summerset) as a Sorc was really neat. And I got a cool appropriate title out of it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can basically RP as a necromancer in every town and quest if you keep forgetting you have bound your mage friend to the b button on your controller.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Wardens seem to be based on the Beldama Wyrd lore-wise, and Glenumbra has a lot of quests that involve them, for what it's worth.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I really want to get into this game, but for some reason I just . . . can't. I'm somewhat enjoying playing with my "Thor" character (heavy armor stamsorc with 2h/1h + shield), running around throwing lightning and smashing things. Then I start doing crafting, looking at all my skill lines, seeing how much there is to do and then my eyes kind of glaze over and I close the game.

I really want to play an MMO right now and I like that the character system is pretty freeform, I'm just not quite sure what about this game isn't grabbing me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ignore how much there is. Forget about crafting. Or only learn armoring. Pick a direction, or one quest and do it. Don’t look up stats. The only thing you might consider necessary is your daily riding lessons. Read the quest text. Wait for people to finish talking before hitting close. Talk to random NPCs.

Once an mmo feels like work, that’s the death. When I feel enslaved to the daily writs, I just don’t do them. If I feel like a quest is dragging, I ride off and look at an area I haven’t seen. You might find something interesting.

Basically play it like a single player game as others have said.

E: I felt that way too when I was playing it like wow. “I can’t leave this starter area until I do it all!” Man, that was wrong. Everything is scaled so go look at other zones. Ride around. Gather poo poo.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this is the best mmo, by far, if you don't take it seriously, which is the proper way to treat mmo's imo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Am I right in thinking that because the entire game is level scaled, nothing really matters as long as you don't gimp yourself, so the entire point is to just go exploring and doing quests as you find them, which will always be at your level?

So basically the entire game is:

1. Don't gimp yourself too hard
2. Explore and absorb the story as it comes to you wherever you feel like going because you'll always be properly leveled for all of it
3. Don't think too much about it, it's a casual game

That sound about right or am I way off?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

yea you can just chill and do quests. it only gets bad sometimes when you get to endgame group content and get stuck with that guy who complains everyones not killing everything as fast as his spreadsheets say they should.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Literally just stop there. If you want to be hardcore, find another game.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

for more immersive stuff, the only mod I've installed so far that works is the slow dialog mod, which should really be an option in game. it actually makes me look at the NPC first instead of skimming the subtitles. set the speed to 55.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info66-SlowDialogs.html#info

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

GreatGreen posted:

Am I right in thinking that because the entire game is level scaled, nothing really matters as long as you don't gimp yourself, so the entire point is to just go exploring and doing quests as you find them, which will always be at your level?

So basically the entire game is:

1. Don't gimp yourself too hard
2. Explore and absorb the story as it comes to you wherever you feel like going because you'll always be properly leveled for all of it

That sound about right or am I way off?

Sounds about right. Some mobs areharder than others. But unless it’s a world boss which are clearly marked, you should be able to take on anything solo short of a public dungeon. And even that’s possible once you get into your 40s.

And it’s nearly impossible to gimp yourself, short of only spending points in crafting. You might not be able to kill things as fast as others but who cares, really.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Manxome Foe posted:

I really want to get into this game, but for some reason I just . . . can't. I'm somewhat enjoying playing with my "Thor" character (heavy armor stamsorc with 2h/1h + shield), running around throwing lightning and smashing things. Then I start doing crafting, looking at all my skill lines, seeing how much there is to do and then my eyes kind of glaze over and I close the game.

I really want to play an MMO right now and I like that the character system is pretty freeform, I'm just not quite sure what about this game isn't grabbing me.

I won't try to sell you on the game at all. I have played almost exactly the opposite of everyone as far as I can tell. I have never played a previous Elder Scrolls game. I never subscribed, have no idea what the draw of crafting is because it sounds like a pain in the rear end to do "daily writs" or whatever and still have way more gold then I know what to do with. I couldn't give a summary of the lore or story if my life depended on it. Sometimes I listen to an npc or read some text if it happens to catch my fancy, but often just breeze on through.

Mostly I just followed a friend of mine around, had some drinks, healed dungeons, and still managed to get to CP level 600something and had a good time doing it! What I am saying is that as long as you don't shoot yourself in the foot one way or another, I don't think there is really a "right way" to play the game.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Doctor Zero posted:

Sounds about right. Some mobs areharder than others. But unless it’s a world boss which are clearly marked, you should be able to take on anything solo short of a public dungeon. And even that’s possible once you get into your 40s.

And it’s nearly impossible to gimp yourself, short of only spending points in crafting. You might not be able to kill things as fast as others but who cares, really.

i enjoy crafting and my attempts at supporting my deconstruction habit by stealing. And when I need a skill point I hunt Skyshards.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

i enjoy crafting and my attempts at supporting my deconstruction habit by stealing. And when I need a skill point I hunt Skyshards.

Yeah, there's plenty to do both. I just meant as long as you put some points in combat, you shouldn't gimp yourself.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

is there any cp160 setup for a thief that makes you really hard to detect while keeping the amazing speed from nights silence set? running around super fast in sneak is awesome

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

ASenileAnimal posted:

is there any cp160 setup for a thief that makes you really hard to detect while keeping the amazing speed from nights silence set? running around super fast in sneak is awesome

Mix Night's Silence with Darloc Brae for the 2m reduced detection radius, the reduced stealth cost and resource regen while ducking.

Or become a vampire and run Darloc Brae and Night Terror for 4m reduced detection radius, even further reduced stealth cost, resource regen while crouching and damage to enemies when they hit you.

Vampires have a passive that lets them ignore the move speed penalty from stealth. Nightblades also have access to an active skill called Concealed Weapon that passively grants 25% move speed bonus while crouched or invisible, and it stacks with the other options.

Khajiit also get a 3m detection radius reduction which, when combined with any of the sets discussed here, makes them virtually undetectable unless you're standing right on top of them.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 23, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

is there a certain detection radius reduction i should shoot for? how much is overkill?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

ASenileAnimal posted:

is there a certain detection radius reduction i should shoot for? how much is overkill?

Baseline is six meters, and one meter is the lowest it goes. Two is really good.

With just one -2m set and medium armor passives you can get to around 3m which should be fine as long as you still give enemies a bit of a berth. Then you can run Night Silence as a second full set and not have to be a vampire or a furry.

With two -2 sets you'll be around 1.5m which is as good as it gets without playing a khajiit.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

thanks! went with a khajit nightblade for this so ill probably end up going vampire and stacking the detection reduction stuff. once i hit level 50 i plan to be in as little combat as possible and stealing everything in sight.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

ASenileAnimal posted:

thanks! went with a khajit nightblade for this so ill probably end up going vampire and stacking the detection reduction stuff. once i hit level 50 i plan to be in as little combat as possible and stealing everything in sight.

Khajiit vampire only needs one -2m set to be a sprinty, stealthy bastard with the lowest possible detection radius. I'd recommend Darloc Brae because it's rad and heals you while you're sneaking but Night Terror is ok too if you get in the occasional fight.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites should be caught up to this point.

@Natsuumi, I've also invited you to the crafting guild, Deconstruct Circle Jerk.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Can I get an invite to the crafting guild please? Might as well drop all my unwanted crafting stuff in there instead of the main guild. @MHKnights

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Can I get an add? @FullOfCrows

Character is currently Earl-From-Dinosaurs

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So Craglorn. Do the two group quests, The Corrupted Stone and The Shattered and the Lost require four players or can a single somewhat decent-ish play solo them? It seems like trying to get a group together for those quests or any of the group content in Craglorn could be difficult.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Can I get an add?

@Ry-Pay

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

VibrioCholera posted:

Can I get an add?

@Ry-Pay

Thanks.

You've been invited to both Chill Bros (main) and the Deconstruct Circle Jerk (Crafting Guild)