Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Keaton moved out yesterday, but I didn't have time to go island hopping for a new resident. Opened up the game this morning and of course the plot is already sold. Ugh. I wanted to go hunting for Judy :( The new move-in is a cranky elderly-looking wolf called Dobie. I wonder if he comes from a goon town? Keaton did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

an angry penguin posted:

Keaton moved out yesterday, but I didn't have time to go island hopping for a new resident. Opened up the game this morning and of course the plot is already sold. Ugh. I wanted to go hunting for Judy :( The new move-in is a cranky elderly-looking wolf called Dobie. I wonder if he comes from a goon town? Keaton did.

If you have goon friends it's most likely. The Void Villagers are kind of wonky but still predicted to take up your plot quicker than mystery islanders. It's one of the things I wish they'd changed so you could hold a plot for 1-2 days by default or, more appropriately, tell Nook to remove until you were ready.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Abandoned Toaster posted:

It's one of the things I wish they'd changed so you could hold a plot for 1-2 days by default or, more appropriately, tell Nook to remove until you were ready.

Of all the small things I want changed, new villagers moving in is the biggest one. I love finding randos on Nook islands and wish I could do it on my own pace rather than hoping the RNG doesn't bring Quillson some random garbage person in tomorrow morning.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

an angry penguin posted:

dobie is great

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, is the turnip market worth it? To game it right, do you basically have to have a bunch of friends?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

So, is the turnip market worth it?
Yeah

quote:

To game it right, do you basically have to have a bunch of friends?
Or a thread of goons, yes.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

So, is the turnip market worth it? To game it right, do you basically have to have a bunch of friends?

Friends help but are not required if you have a big enough group; e.g. the goons here.

You can never buy beyond 110, and with a good group you can make 5x your investment; i.e. ~400k for 4000 turnips, 2 million bells per week.

It's worth it but the netcode is the biggest hurdle. Have fun joining an island with good prices and waiting 30 minutes to sell and leave due to all the visitors.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Potato Salad posted:

Not a single week since the game has gone by has a goon not posted in this thread with good turnip prices. If you're able to follow the thread daily changes are you'll at least triple your investment.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Rabidsamba posted:

Turnip fairy visited New Camlet, and we got Nooklings paying 518 bells per turnip

Using turnip exchange to try and expedite the process, and I put up some barbed wire fences so that nobody gets lost.

I'll probably leave it up for a while, I've got other work to do in the meantime.

https://turnip.exchange/island/ad981003

you big wet beautiful boy. thank you

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I definitely would not have a lot of the stuff up and running if not for my wife buying a bajillion turnips and then me brokering every week through this thread.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I swung by Goldie's house last night and she was in her jammies and I've never seen that before :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Punchy in his Pajama's is horrifying because his head just looks like a beachball with a hat resting on it. It looks so comically wrong I wish I took a picture of it.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Lol I had a couple friends come over (last night for the 1.2 million bell royal crown, tonight to take my extra cardboard boxes) and both nights they asked "Why do you look like Michael Jackson?"

Now, I don't have Olaf, but Labelle came and wanted an ensemble that fit with a morning coat and I obliged and I wasn't going to turn down some sweet purple Label Shades so

Haters gonna hate~

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Potato Salad posted:

If you want to play normally just use half your money to play the market.

Otherwise you'll get sucked into Turnip market predictors, inside turnip price sellers and complaining about your lawn for the next 6 months.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

RobertLeeYates posted:

If you want to play normally just use half your money to play the market.

Otherwise you'll get sucked into Turnip market predictors, inside turnip price sellers and complaining about your lawn for the next 6 months.

I don't think Nintendo was counting on hundreds if not thousands of people playing the market, which explains the piss-poor netcode for more than 5 people visiting. Still, if you don't find someone selling turnips for over 400 bells per week you're in the wrong places.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Potato Salad posted:

Basically you want to buy at least one inventory full and hold out until you find them getting bought for 500+. Highest I've even seen is over 600 bells but usually those islands have a ridiculous wait time so I usually settle for a less crowded 500ish. I've been using the discord to find good prices:
SOMETHINGAWFUL ANIMAL CROSSING PALS Discord - https://discordapp.com/invite/pfN42Ex

It has a really nice automated queue system where people post their prices and you get put in line for their dodo code. I sold 4 inventories worth today which made me around 10 mil and it was pretty quick and painless.

A few other things, you can't put them in your house's storage so I just dump them all on the beach. They'll be safe there until the next sunday at which point they will rot and you pissed all your bells away. Let one rot on purpose so you can catch some ants!

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

robot roll call posted:

A few other things, you can't put them in your house's storage so I just dump them all on the beach. They'll be safe there until the next sunday at which point they will rot and you pissed all your bells away. Let one rot on purpose so you can catch some ants!
Just an add on that the reason people put their turnips in their house (on the ground) is so that visitors can't pick them up. If you leave them on your beach anyone can come and pick them up if you have visitors. I recommend fencing them in when not using them to avoid the issue and not worry about who you're letting in. But if you're only letting in people you trust more power to you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having to store turnips is the #1 reason I don't play the turnip market yet

Nintendo, why

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really want more sporty or eventful furniture. I wanted to make a beach attraction and it just wound up being a small diner thing because 90% of furniture feels like it's just different tables and chairs.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Pretty good posted:

I swung by Goldie's house last night and she was in her jammies and I've never seen that before :3:

The fact that all your animals have different outfits for different situations (exercise, bedtime, raining, exploring, casual, etc), is really one of the most underrated cute little details in the game

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Anything new in the update or is it just bug fixes?

"Addressed issues to further ensure an enjoyable gaming experience." Pretty vague.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

"Addressed issues to further ensure an enjoyable gaming experience." Pretty vague.

Aren't we supposed to get the Alpaca couple on Harv's island at some point this month? Maybe it's related to that?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jet Jaguar posted:

Nintendo still don't know how to do detailed patch notes, goddamn its not 2005 anymore.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jet Jaguar posted:

They patched out the 3 player duping exploit that was going around and some out of bounds stuff from what I've heard.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Eiba posted:

So whenever a villager moves out of my town I like to go to Harv's island and make a nice scene to send them off with. Gwen moved in and out of my town and I didn't really care all that much, so the series starts with Barold.

Sweet, lovely Barold. I met him on a tarantula island the day the game came out. I was playing with friends in person (back in the days before lockdown), and we were all shocked to see a tarantula island, and this dumb caveman office bear blithely saying how fun it is to point anywhere and there's nature, while surrounded by tarantulas. Well, he said he'd move to my island if it was anything like "this," and I lied and said it was. Hope he wasn't disappointed.

Well I was disappointed when I learned that he moved in with a rubbish house and his real house is cool as heck, and I had his amiibo card so when he asked if he should go on a journey, I told him to go for it. I know he'll forget me by the time he's back, but that's just Barold.

Which brings me to our first Scene of Departure:

There's not much of a story behind these scenes, but you can see Barold making a bad decision about what to eat at a rest stop in the desert. The other four of my starting five can see what's going to happen, while Olaf noticed an odd reaction from Cesar. I'm sure it's fine. The fact that Cesar moved his house into Barold's old plot by the plaza is just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Bluebear was the next to leave. No doubt heartbroken over her bear buddy's departure. I want all of my starting five in rubbish houses to leave eventually anyway (except Reneigh), as sad as that is, so her departure was acceptable.

She put on a concert for the town in her trademark faded denim jacket:

Reneigh got into it but Ankha didn't seem to get what the fuss was all about. Zucker's so short he couldn't even see over Lyman. Cesar's doesn't seem sure about some of the concert goers. Not sure those are town residents...

I then bid farewell to Olaf, the smug villager who was forced on me. I was at first resentful of his ugly hair, but eventually he grew on me as a smug idiot we all loved to hate in my town. However his garish orange house was too much. There was only room for one garish orange house, and that was the house of my good friend Cesar, the gay, urbane, orange gorilla.

I didn't know what to do for Olaf. He's got a Michael Jackson kinda vibe, but I already did one concert. A friend suggested they all have some sort of last supper together in a diner. And I heard "Last Supper" so...

I didn't have enough diner series stuff so I went with a picnic instead.

The newcomer, Melba, didn't quite get what was going on:

Of course I'm in the location of Judas

I'll be honest, I'm pretty proud of how this one turned out. I forgot to change their outfits, but I think for a last picnic supper Olaf's dumb sweatshirt worked.

And finally, just today, Ken, the smug ninja chicken, is in boxes. He's another one whose amiibo card I have so perhaps one day he'll be back. But for now, on this stormy day, he bravely departs on his journey:

This time I did change everyone's outfits to what is appropriate for a tearful departure on a rainy train platform... but perhaps it's all too colorful as a result. Perhaps this picture is more period appropriate:

tl;dr: Harv's Island is actually amazing. I went there once, day two, and felt it was lame. But then when I went back a few weeks later when Barold was moving out I realized just how amazing it was.

All those dumb wallpapers Saharah gives you that you'll never use in your house 'cause they're kind of ridiculous? They're perfect for little scenes. I'm now looking forward to what silly backgrounds I can use next.

There's so much in this game that feels "meh" when you realize you don't want to use it yourself, but when you think about how to use it with your villagers, or in a scene like this, so much furniture has so much more value. I want to catalog it all now!

I adore all of this (especially the Last Supper), and I wish more people realized the potential of Harv's Island.

I posted it much earlier in the thread, but I also sent off a departing departed villager with a scene:

Robin was one of my New Leaf villagers (along with Phil and Marina), who randomly moved into our town after I made the mistake of time traveling while we had an open plot. My wife was not happy about this and kicked her out via Hopper's amiibo.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 22, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I adore all of this (especially the Last Supper), and I wish more people realized the potential of Harv's Island.
Thanks!

And yeah, one reason I posted all that was to encourage more people to share scenes like that. I think I was vaguely inspired by your post way back when I started this. I don't think I'm particularly talented, but a few of my scenes came out real satisfying to me at least.

I miss a lot of the Happy Homes interface polish for these kinds of tasks, but it really captures a lot of the fun of that game. The trick is you need to build up a good stock of cataloged furniture and emotions, otherwise it feels really lame. I think most people booted it up in the first couple days and never seriously revisited it when the real potential becomes obvious.

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.

Harv's island is a great place for Raymond to figure out how to reach these kids.

Or recreate movie posters.

Not a Duck
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not a duck.
Dr. Cool, you heart-breaker.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrOrdun/status/1263732474850406400

Glad I finished construction on The Tower before it got patched.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Geemer posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrOrdun/status/1263732474850406400

Glad I finished construction on The Tower before it got patched.

is there supposed to be something happening in that gif because im too dumb to notice what it was :psyduck:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have Mitzi at my campsite today who appears to be some kind of early unfinished inferior model of Rosie but I might ask her to move in anyway to finally get rid of Nate or maybe Jambette even though she's ok

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JOEY YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO DO THAT

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah the dupe bug is dead. I still made some copies of my robot hero before it was patched. It kinda sucks they put such urgency on stuff like this but not any QoL updates.

Helicoprion
Oct 31, 2010

In order to get permission to post on discord im told to go to the welcome thread, does anyone know where that is? Thanks

Helicoprion fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 22, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

is there supposed to be something happening in that gif because im too dumb to notice what it was :psyduck:
I think that bamboo+bench arrangement was the basis for an out-of-bounds glitch that just got fixed in the new update? Not finding anything searching for "clipping gates" tho so I'm not totally sure.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
E-Flat, I made you some cherry blossom viewing lanterns, I thought I could just send them in the mail but we haven't played together since becoming friends, or something. Lmk if you still want them!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

these small time fixes that get patched are for nerdos

if anyone's uncle at nintendo is reading this post please bring back wear indications for items

like the ragged edge on the axe. and i'm not a video game designed but I believe nintendo can figure out something for the net and fishing pole and shovel too!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Lopez is crafting golden wall.

GY8T1

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah i didn't realize you could use anything from your catalog on Harv's Island, that's really a game changer

i've got Pinky in boxes today, if anyone's interested shoot me a PM. gonna be out and about but i'll have time to pop on and let someone peep her if they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

I have Mitzi at my campsite today who appears to be some kind of early unfinished inferior model of Rosie but I might ask her to move in anyway to finally get rid of Nate or maybe Jambette even though she's ok

Gonna be honest I never got why Rosie became popular. Or rather, as popular as she did. Her eyes kinda split like a goldfish anytime she's doing anything which is super off putting to me.

Mitzi on the other hand is just a simple nice cat. She likes to wear big round glasses I noticed and is just a joy to be around :3: