Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1263761942424018944?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

40 hamsters?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beds and benches, things which are a fixed distance in all possible orientations. A helpful unit of measurement.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Beds and benches, things which are a fixed distance in all possible orientations. A helpful unit of measurement.

"The left will complain about anything"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
0.02 football fields

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

"I fuckin warned you slags" or something to that effect, surely.

That or "Naughty, naughty, verrrry naughty" in an extremely The Shaman voice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kennel posted:

0.02 football fields
Almost one billionth of the size of Wales.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blunt posted:

"The left will complain about anything"

I am genuinely confused at how 1 bed can equal 2 benches with any combination of sizes and orientations of the two, especially if the sum is supposed to be 2 meters.

Like maybe a single bed is two bench-depths wide?? Are london benches particularly short?

Also while I'm complaining about things I like that my compulsive editing appears to have broken the forums such that if you quote my previous post it does not give you what is visible on the page.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

3301527.46 wavelengths in a vacuum of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the 2p10 and 5d5 quantum levels of the krypton-86 atom

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Catte update: Digby has spent most of today upside down, with his head and forelegs at 180* to his hind legs. We think he’s doing better- for him spines are very much a thing that happen to other people.

Bob has a Popeye face and is a grumpy sod, but the grumpiness is at least normal.

Vets bills are totally covered and my wife is finally smiling again, because this thread is full of loving wonderful human beings.

Now I’m off for a long walk in the sun with an extremely large joint, because life doesn’t seem as loving horrid today. :)

Cooking the first batch of sweet goodness tomorrow!

Edit: naturally, the moment I tried to take a picture he straightened himself out

Camrath fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 22, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's also like 10 different common types of chair that are all different sizes. A school chair? Office chair? Dining table chair? Bean bag? Throne? Gamer chair? Those weird egg chair things?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So, remember those 100,000 tests a day?

Divide them by two, along with all the rest of our testing figures.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I am genuinely confused at how 1 bed can equal 2 benches with any combination of sizes and orientations of the two, especially if the sum is supposed to be 2 meters.

Like maybe a single bed is two bench-depths wide?? Are london benches particularly short?

Also while I'm complaining about things I like that my compulsive editing appears to have broken the forums such that if you quote my previous post it does not give you what is visible on the page.

42 inches being 106cm.

2 meters isn't a magic number, it's a convenient one that people can roughly approximate to help people understand how far they should stay away from each other - the same reason the US is telling people to stay 6 feet apart as opposed to 2 meters. You already know this, because you're a rational and literate adult.

Complaining about trivia only undercuts our complaints about substantive issues.

We (the left) all complain about trivia too much.

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 22, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1263772451600826368?s=20

government doesn't understand it's own advice, they forgot to add

↕️
where possible
↕️
and if isn't then tough luck, gently caress you

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

this is the image from that tweet, and I want to know what happened to the face of the person on left:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I work for a Canadian company, they advise us to stay a Moose length apart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stay a goose length apart, i.e. the distance you would stay from a goose before it starts hissing at you.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Oh, maybe they are walking away from us, and it's their hair.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
leave room for Jesus (lengthways)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Someone posted a link to a website where you can order cases of Cider. It was either this month or last months thread. Anyone remember what it was?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

42 inches being 106cm.

2 meters isn't a magic number, it's a convenient one that people can roughly approximate to help people understand how far they should stay away from each other - the same reason the US is telling people to stay 6 feet apart as opposed to 2 meters. You already know this, because you're a rational and literate adult.

Complaining about trivia only undercuts our complaints about substantive issues.

We (the left) all complain about trivia too much.

It's funny though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

bornbytheriver posted:

Oh, maybe they are walking away from us, and it's their hair.

Lack of hairdressers has taken its toll on us all

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Weston's website does crates I think

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it slightly bizzare to believe that trivial complaints are not an effective argument in the face of, like, the entire last five years.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Weston's website does crates I think

Thanks, someone found it for me - It was Dawkins

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

work wants me back in the office on the 8th

luv 2 perish

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been mixing up being in a long Zoom call with turning my camera off and playing Football Manager this morning, keeping an ear out for anything that may require me to refocus my attentions.
I'm not usually this lazy, but I am in no way a 'working from home' kind of person.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's called time optimization.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm sat outside my work eating lunch

managed to get a few things sorted (limit capacity in the lab, cut it up into zones etc.) but still not great

at least it's pretty much just me in there today

two of the other people who use it (not on my team) are going to get us all fuckkng ill tho, they're still going to customer sites, don't social distance from each other and you can't even get one of them to wear safety goggles or not eat in there, so I have little hope that they will manage to not gently caress it up

the other one of them is old and had some sort of pneumonia thing a couple of years ago, so probably not a great idea for him either!

I'm even less productive than I was before I think, when I'm in the lab I'm like "they're making me get up and come to work in the middle of a pandemic so cba" and when I'm at home I'm like "every other day I have to get up and go to work so cba"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I made millions of bells on the stalk market during a work Zoom meeting this week. If anything I deserve a pay rise.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So apparently the house a few doors down have been getting billed for our landline calls for the past few years, they told Virgin yesterday, and so Virgin are apparently coming to sort it out tomorrow.

Does anyone know what that's going to involve, and if the internet/TV connection is going to be affected at all?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
for some reason the last time we had a general catch-up zoom they insisted I turned my loving camera on, just like "oh we can't see you? where are you?" and like why?

who gives a gently caress, I don't want to see any of your faces and I literally just got out of bed in time for this pointless conversation

no one ever turns it on in our lab ones

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

VileLL posted:

work wants me back in the office on the 8th

luv 2 perish

How's this going to work then when they start (haha) the tracing app, if you've been in contact according to the app you have to quarantine yourself for 14 days regardless of symptoms. Does this mean you're in and out of work like a yoyo?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So apparently the house a few doors down have been getting billed for our landline calls for the past few years, they told Virgin yesterday, and so Virgin are apparently coming to sort it out tomorrow.

Does anyone know what that's going to involve, and if the internet/TV connection is going to be affected at all?

Knowing Virgin they'll come brandishing a bill and threaten to disconnect you if you dont pay it

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cross posting this from the Irish Politifs thread, and because we were talking about Leopald a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/1263778628413779969

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

winegums posted:

Didn't Blizz allegedly approach them initially to make WoW with the warhams IP? I know they were very late to that party and failed. Still, Total War: Warhams is doing pretty well.

Really though if they'd milked their IP they could've done the marvel cinematic universe before marvel did (and better).

ro5s posted:

I don’t know if it was ever confirmed, the story is that Warcraft and Starcraft were licensed games until GW pulled out and blizz put a new coat of paint over them and put them out.

The story for years was that GW were involved in some way, then Blizzard retconned it that 'nuhuh we thought of it ourselves'.

The problem with GW was that they didn't want a 'proper' game made. If it had to be made, it has to be tabletop like, not fit the mechanics of whatever it is.
So you get shite like Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War released in 1999 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKzHRTpJkM for gameplay) when you had several Command and Conquers released already.

Nowadays they seem to allow any lovely app maker to make games, as long as it has microtransactions.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

XMNN posted:

for some reason the last time we had a general catch-up zoom they insisted I turned my loving camera on, just like "oh we can't see you? where are you?" and like why?

who gives a gently caress, I don't want to see any of your faces and I literally just got out of bed in time for this pointless conversation

It's hard enough to connect with people properly over zoom though. Having video compensates for this significantly by letting you read people's emotions better and also makes it less likely you'll talk over each other. We've found it pretty nice in our team to see everyone, especially during the period of hardcore lockdown when human interaction was fairly minimal. Zoom even lets you hide your gooncave with a virtual background so it's pretty unobtrusive.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How's this going to work then when they start (haha) the tracing app, if you've been in contact according to the app you have to quarantine yourself for 14 days regardless of symptoms. Does this mean you're in and out of work like a yoyo?

that would be nice

no way i'm going to be using the trains, so that's a fun 12 mile walk each way in full mask/gloves unless the bike i ordered comes in the next couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Prince John posted:

It's hard enough to connect with people properly over zoom though. Having video compensates for this significantly by letting you read people's emotions better and also makes it less likely you'll talk over each other. We've found it pretty nice in our team to see everyone, especially during the period of hardcore lockdown when human interaction was fairly minimal. Zoom even lets you hide your gooncave with a virtual background so it's pretty unobtrusive.

I think I saw that a meeting host can turn off the virtual backgrounds (though they might not know they can).
I use VBs but also try to make sure that the camera is pointing at something bland just in case.