Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

They did a great job making him sound like a high elf. I wanted to punch his face after two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Refried Noodle posted:

They did a great job making him sound like a high elf. I wanted to punch his face after two minutes.

He's such a prick it owns.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Grom's campaign is more fun, but boy howdy is the ridiculous seriousness of Elf Batman hilarious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it a bug or did the game for some reason rename Lothern to Eataine when I wasn't looking?

Having played about 150 turns with Grom, I love his cauldron mechanic but I'd like if it was a little more intuitive as to what made a new recipe.

The scrap mechanic feels like somebody at CA played a lot of Lucky's Overhaul and decided to copy the Either/Or skilltree choices. I just think that the current scrap mechanic is a little underdeveloped and in some cases rather baffling. Why would I want to give savage orcs an anti large bonus when I've got Big'Uns that can actually do their job now? Why do some units get upgrades that play against their strengths while other units get upgrades where one option is blatantly better than the other?

It has the makings of a really good mechanic and I cannot wait to see what modders do with Scrap, but as it stands now, you don't get as much upgrade variety as I'd like and a lot of the choices aren't that good. Gimme the option to make my Black Orcs use shields, dual wield or great axe varieties.

Boar units are still kinda poo poo apart from ones used in the unique Boar Lord's army.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eataine is the kingdom Lothern is in.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

gently caress's sake, how do you play as Beleghar? You make NO money so I figured it'd be best to secure all of the starting province but the place is so god drat long by the time I make it south to the last settlement, the orcs have shored up and become next to impossible to defeat due to actually having money to make armies with.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Playing Imrik, I am reminded of why I absolutely loathe Skaven.
At least orcs actually try to take a fight every now and then, and don't just abuse underway stance to back capture settlements in awful terrain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Neuronyx posted:

gently caress's sake, how do you play as Beleghar? You make NO money so I figured it'd be best to secure all of the starting province but the place is so god drat long by the time I make it south to the last settlement, the orcs have shored up and become next to impossible to defeat due to actually having money to make armies with.

Gather your ghostly pals, abandon the shithole you came from and seek glory in the thunderdomes of the east. Sack and destroy. Slay the orc. Do your loving ancestors proud.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Or, you can focus on taking out Skarsnik and securing your starting position a little until you can get a shitload of bugman's rangers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

Playing Imrik, I am reminded of why I absolutely loathe Skaven.
At least orcs actually try to take a fight every now and then, and don't just abuse underway stance to back capture settlements in awful terrain.

Crushing that shitstain snikt was so satisfying. I've taken the entire desert (don't have to heart to take down beat bud Settra though, take it easy my great skelefriend) and I'm about to leave for Ulthuan. Tyrion has been off in the west getting into trouble with the dark elves, losing Alith's home and trying to defend the last inland city so I might as well make hay while the sun shines and TAKE MY BIRTHRIGHT.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

No idea about how it works now, but I remember Belegar's accruing crazy amount of grudges by just going east. My mistake was in taking the land to get that additional bit of replenishment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

alex314 posted:

No idea about how it works now, but I remember Belegar's accruing crazy amount of grudges by just going east. My mistake was in taking the land to get that additional bit of replenishment.

It's a really hard start but the ghost boys are very strong and don't run. I had a good run building a full stack then sacking orcs (and humans, gently caress them) for cash on the way to the badlands. Then I started taking territory near eight peaks to get set for my glory run. Levels are more important. You can look at it a little like the Isabella gameplan where you can very much rely on your powerful individuals to start with. If you can double team something nasty like black orcs with two of your ghosts they will always win.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What determines strength ranking? Is it a combo of number/size of settlements, number of armies, army strength and army health? In my grom campaign I just took out Alberic's capital and was planning on declaring a Waaagh on Mousillon who were strength rank 16. I actually razed Alberics capital and his settlement as well because I had enough somewhat unproductive and expensive Brett settlements to deal with and Mousillon swooped in and took them both which seemed fine to me since I was going to kill him as well. Ended turn and then on the next turn they were strength rank 103 or something which is much less appealing as a waagh target, is that cause their armies lost health from colonising or just a bug? Curious if I wait a couple turns they'll move back up the rankings and then I can do it or if I should just kill them and pick one of the elves across the sea.

Also what happens if you declare a Waagh on a target and then they slip down the rankings after that? I assume the reward/bonuses are based on their strength ranking when you declare the waaagh and are locked for the duration but would be good to know.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JBP posted:

He's such a prick it owns.

The prickly prick who will burn us all.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

JBP posted:

Gather your ghostly pals, abandon the shithole you came from and seek glory in the thunderdomes of the east. Sack and destroy. Slay the orc. Do your loving ancestors proud.

Jeremor posted:

Or, you can focus on taking out Skarsnik and securing your starting position a little until you can get a shitload of bugman's rangers.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try both of these at some point and see how it goes.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

TheLastRoboKy posted:

(he trailed Wurrzag for two turns for just the right moment to pop his jaw)

brutally cunnin'

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Krazyface posted:

brutally cunnin'

Or cunningly brutal :orks101:

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Playing the Imrik ME campaign just drives home how horrible it is to move around that far east corner of the map where it’s all mountain and forest without an underway. Managed to strangle Sniktch in the crib but now Malus has three stacks plus his Black Ark just roaming round sacking where the single stack my three provinces funds can’t catch them

Excited for the Grom campaign though, had a small taste and it’s really cool

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cease to Hope posted:

Not really? Like a fully charged waaaagh stack is about a match for a standard dwarf stack, with what you can afford on 2-3 provinces. (And you can easily be at war with K-A-K before you even finish Karak Kadim.) And you're going to be at war with K-A-K by turn 40ish, regardless of where you push.

you're doing something wrong.

line dwarves are tanky, but don't hit particularly hard and can still be surrounded and overwhelmed, etc.

also orcs are designed to run on a deficent, you get like 20 turns worth of DOSH whenever you sack something. Also constant raiding. Your economy is your enemy's.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
So after getting all the dragon traits, and some bonuses for killing Krog Gar and a few other legendary lords, Imrik have

~ 950 weapon strength, of which 750 is armor piercing,
~ 7k HP,
~150 armor,
~120 Melee defence,
~110 melee attack,
~90 charge bonus,
Regeneration,
perfect vigour,
a hex that give -40 MA -24 MD to an enemy,
decreases flame resistance for all enemies,
poison (from a follower),
Bound ability piercing bolts of burning,
3 self heals at 1k each that also gives -120 ability recharge (but disables movement for 20 seconds),
35 missile resist,
15 ward save,
60% magic resist,
~80 flame resistance

With self buffs active that increases to
150 melee defence
1400 weapon strength, 1100 armor piercing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I'm doing ME Grom and for some reason there's a bunch of skaven corruption on the map, since when are skaven so good at spreading corruption? I did a Fay Enchantress campaign a month ago and barely noticed the corruption from Skavenblight until I was on top of it, but now looking at my map literally every region I can see east of Massif Orcal (except the WE) has a bunch of Skaven corruption despite being nowhere near ruins.

This is turn 10, so no real Skaven shenanigans should have happened at this point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Flying Monster indeed

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Insurrectionist posted:

So I'm doing ME Grom and for some reason there's a bunch of skaven corruption on the map, since when are skaven so good at spreading corruption? I did a Fay Enchantress campaign a month ago and barely noticed the corruption from Skavenblight until I was on top of it, but now looking at my map literally every region I can see east of Massif Orcal (except the WE) has a bunch of Skaven corruption despite being nowhere near ruins.

This is turn 10, so no real Skaven shenanigans should have happened at this point.

undercities, etc.

ikkit is like three provinces away

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Karak Zorn dwarfs got Gotrek and Felix pretty early. They embedded Felix in an army lead by a dwarf, leaving Gotrek by himself. After retreating from the two dwarf armies with actual units in them and spreading them out, this allowed me to get unbreakable Grom before turn 20 for basically free :getin:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 22, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scandalous posted:

Playing the Imrik ME campaign just drives home how horrible it is to move around that far east corner of the map where it’s all mountain and forest without an underway. Managed to strangle Sniktch in the crib but now Malus has three stacks plus his Black Ark just roaming round sacking where the single stack my three provinces funds can’t catch them

Excited for the Grom campaign though, had a small taste and it’s really cool

I didn't bother crossing that mountain range until turn 100 or so because the desert to the coast is the most prime real estate

Just stay chill with kroq gar his hippy jurisdiction ends at the sand

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gaaar, just took Parravon as Grom - game crashed and deleted all my Grom saves!!!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I made a power play to WAAGH a fully developed Altdorf from From a ME start after the Brets got boring, it was pretty horrowing with no artillery of my own but the sack was 80000 and I didn't even have a big boss or the relevant followers boosting that number.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My imrik start consisted of getting a good underway battle against Grimgor early as I intercepted him, wiping his stack out completely. While I was consolidating the province to my west, Sniktch tried taking grimhold with two stacks of slaves. I won with the garrison; both dragon princes from the unique building had over 1000 kills each and the star dragon was over 2k

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm playing as Grimgor and I just defeated Azhag in battle. I now have the option to confederate. If I do this can I get to use Azhag later?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Had a weird bug where elf batman sent a generic lord stack to siege Masif Orcal. Grom was in the neighborhood, so I underwayed over there to break the siege. Once Grom arrived in the province, still in underway stance, I ended my turn with the intention of attacking on the next, but during Yvresse’s turn suddenly the siege was lifted, the lord declared dead from battle, and the stack disappeared without any battle being triggered.

Also, got a notification that one of my waaagh armies that was raiding in Reikland was raiding my own territory (Skarsnik’s start region) even though, well, we weren’t there.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

I'm playing as Grimgor and I just defeated Azhag in battle. I now have the option to confederate. If I do this can I get to use Azhag later?

Yes, immediately unless he was wounded in battle, then just once he heals up.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
People, including me, would be real mad otherwise

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

undercities, etc.

ikkit is like three provinces away

How is any Skaven faction close enough to Bastonne to establish an undercity that would spread Skaven corruption on turn 10? Especially when Carcassonne doesn't have any. I was thinking the new Skaven minor faction`in Empire lands could be the culprit, but how are they spreading it to so many provinces when there's not even a ruin nearby, as a minor faction?

Again I'd get it if it was turn 30, 50, 80 or whatever. But turn 10?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
My Imrik(VH/N difficulty) went great. I rushed the dwarf faction, taking the starting province minor regions while recruiting on the move and occupied the last one but burnt all the buildings to just let it rebel.

Next up I blitzed the greenskins between me and Snitch, before he could take them out, had a rough battle against snitch but cleaned him up before he could get to many stacks, and then south to take out Hag Graef. Lucked out and they had almos no troops, I suspect they had a rough time against the lizards and had just taken them out when I showed up. Currently no wars and have spent some turns consolidating and uppgrading my troops(And catched the star dragon)

Oh and I turned down confederating Caledor, seemed like a hassle and wanted to focus everything on Thunderdome Corner for now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

How is any Skaven faction close enough to Bastonne to establish an undercity that would spread Skaven corruption on turn 10? Especially when Carcassonne doesn't have any. I was thinking the new Skaven minor faction`in Empire lands could be the culprit, but how are they spreading it to so many provinces when there's not even a ruin nearby, as a minor faction?

As someone else mentioned, undercities. There AI sent an agent to establish an undercity nearby. Its also possible that an AI Skaven faction starts with an undercity somewhere - CA is doing a lot of scripting starts these days.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Noir89 posted:

Oh and I turned down confederating Caledor, seemed like a hassle and wanted to focus everything on Thunderdome Corner for now.

It’s really not that bad as long as you spend some influence to not have everyone else hate you more than the confed penalty already does. You get exotic animal eggs for that dragon upkeep tech which is nice and I just let the province sit for extra income

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

They may have turned up the number of Undercities that exist on map start. IIRC Altdorf has had one ever since Ikit's DLC, maybe before.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It’s really not that bad as long as you spend some influence to not have everyone else hate you more than the confed penalty already does. You get exotic animal eggs for that dragon upkeep tech which is nice and I just let the province sit for extra income

Great place to replenish you assault on Lothern. Also tyranoc got mad at me and decided to declare war, so I got the west coast of Ulthuan with no repercussions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don’t attack other asur you monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im booting up W1-2 after a while. I like the new ork unit the Rogue Idol. Is that a Paunch only unit or for all Ork boys?