Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They theoretically could have taken a look at North Crater and the gigantic Mako fountain that encompasses most of that place, and gone "This is probably it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

Shinra's stupid obsession with this thing sadly is pretty accurate to some of the "pie in the sky" bullshit real corporations will invest in. Like for Christ sakes they're going off a myth that's vague as hell and assuming it means there's mako in them thar hills!

If I had played VII at release or a little later, I would have felt that showing a corporation making that many dumb mistakes would have been silly and heavy handed, but now I'm just like "yeah that tracks."

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Have they explained why Red XIII refers to Jenova as the "Calamity From the Skies" even though at this point everyone's still supposed to think she's an Ancient?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Have they explained why Red XIII refers to Jenova as the "Calamity From the Skies" even though at this point everyone's still supposed to think she's an Ancient?

It probably has something to do with when Aerith touched him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ace Transmuter posted:

He saw a few pages of the same script Sephiroth got and read ahead.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also Hojo knew what was really going on with Jenova (having stolen Gast's tapes on the matter and then shot him), and he was probably prone to talking a lot with Red nearby.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My name is President Shinra and I want to build New New York in Heaven

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cavelcade posted:

Ah yes, the villain of the piece without a lisp, Sephiros.

I don't think the Cetra used Mako, Mako is refined lifestream. I think they used the upswells of lifestream that naturally occurred, probably without using it up as if the case with the reactors. Otherwise it'd be weird for them to considered in touch with the planets.

They've mostly been using "Mako" as a generic term for lifestream stuff manifest on the surface, haven't they?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Jetrauben posted:

They've mostly been using "Mako" as a generic term for lifestream stuff manifest on the surface, haven't they?

:smuggo: Um, actually, it's only called magma lifestream when it's still underground <pushes up nerd glasses>

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jetrauben posted:

I suppose because I only ever hear ShinRa talking about it like that, I made the assumption that it was the refined form that they use but I could well be wrong on that.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ace Transmuter posted:

Do they actually call Jenova an ancient anywhere in the remake? Like, they have this video presentation about the ancients where they just kind of look human, and Jenova... really doesn't.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Qrr posted:

Do they actually call Jenova an ancient anywhere in the remake? Like, they have this video presentation about the ancients where they just kind of look human, and Jenova... really doesn't.

Considering Hojo was in charge of her and he's crazier than a shithouse rat I wouldn't put it past him to make up some nonsense like: "She's from an extra special super powerful ancient strain" The fuckers on the board are dumb enough to buy it. Not to mention that VR video was clearly intended for public consumption to sell their bullshit vision on Neo Midgar. You think the public at large is going to gently caress with something like looks like Jenova? There's no way to market that and not have to explain why the ancients were apparently body horror incarnate.

edit: Now I've got this hilarious vision in my head of all the happy people and smiling children in that advertisement being replaced with cheerful happy versions of Jenova and holy poo poo

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 23, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Qrr posted:

I don't believe they do, actually.

EDIT: Also what the person above me said.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think anyone but Sephiroth refers to Jenova as an ancient in present day even in the original game. I'm pretty sure by that point everyone involved knows she is some kind of monster which is why they prioritize finding Aerith who they know for sure IS an ancient.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone but Sephiroth refers to Jenova as an ancient in present day even in the original game. I'm pretty sure by that point everyone involved knows she is some kind of monster which is why they prioritize finding Aerith who they know for sure IS an ancient.

Not like I'm surprised here but doesn't that sort of track with the company being completely loving bonkers for playing around with what essentially amounts to a Shoggoth? Like you'd think once they realized "Oh poo poo ancients are just humans with psychic powers what in hell have we been injecting our soldiers with???" Maaaaybe there would be a pause and some consideration? Nah just start hiding them in secret lab under Midgar and keep using the same treatments it'll be fine. loving hell. Shinra collectively deserves to be pushed down the stairs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Not like I'm surprised here but doesn't that sort of track with the company being completely loving bonkers for playing around with what essentially amounts to a Shoggoth? Like you'd think once they realized "Oh poo poo ancients are just humans with psychic powers what in hell have we been injecting our soldiers with???" Maaaaybe there would be a pause and some consideration? Nah just start hiding them in secret lab under Midgar and keep using the same treatments it'll be fine. loving hell. Shinra collectively deserves to be pushed down the stairs.

The biggest issue Shinra had is that Hojo was their science guy after Gast died. More to the point Hojo actually got results. He's got bucketloads of insane failures but the SOLDIER program alone basically made Shinra near-unstoppable. So Hojo got a ton of leeway and nobody at Shinra had that much knowledge of what went on besides "oh gently caress Hojo is doing something creepy again, I hope it's something useful and not another brain in a jar."

I get the impression nobody at Shinra except Hojo had a real clear grasp of what Jenova was. President Shinra probably would not have been cool with The Apocalypse being in a chamber two floors down from his office if he knew the full story. So they just get "oh it's just a monster we can take advantage of" because that is what Hojo specializes in and it isn't the first or last time he has weird mutants around.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Even in OG FF7 the Shinra execs never really talk about Jenova, so I'm on board with the reasoning that Hojo hid what it really was from them.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ImpAtom posted:

When you go to the Nibelheim mansion again and find Sephiroth, he calls Jenova a "calamity from the skies" and Cloud says, "Wait, you mean she isn't an Ancient?" For awhile, Aerith is seriously worried about her connection to Sephiroth (and Jenova) and wants to know if they really are both Ancients until they find out the actual truth, which is easy to miss if she isn't in your party for specific scenes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"oh gently caress Hojo is doing something creepy again, I hope it's something useful and not another brain in a jar."

Hey, Brain a Jar put in some clutch bodyguard work and proved a credible threat if a bit of a glass cannon. Sure kind of a butter face but nobodies perfect. That's why it doesn't have one.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest issue Shinra had is that Hojo was their science guy after Gast died. More to the point Hojo actually got results. He's got bucketloads of insane failures but the SOLDIER program alone basically made Shinra near-unstoppable. So Hojo got a ton of leeway and nobody at Shinra had that much knowledge of what went on besides "oh gently caress Hojo is doing something creepy again, I hope it's something useful and not another brain in a jar."

I get the impression nobody at Shinra except Hojo had a real clear grasp of what Jenova was. President Shinra probably would not have been cool with The Apocalypse being in a chamber two floors down from his office if he knew the full story. So they just get "oh it's just a monster we can take advantage of" because that is what Hojo specializes in and it isn't the first or last time he has weird mutants around.

So it's a lot of this guy is a ghoul and clearly has a fetish for loving around with monsters but gaddamn did Sephiroth gently caress Wutai UP! WELP better give him a big ol' lab and a budget and hope he strikes gold again. Out of curiosity what do you think their plan was if he uh--went a step too far? Like, for example the plot of FF7? Rufus and co. figure out Sephiroth ain't dead and has become some sort of monstrosity pretty quickly. You'd think they would bring that up with him instead of letting him off the hook to be awful on a beach.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Flopsy posted:

So it's a lot of this guy is a ghoul and clearly has a fetish for loving around with monsters but gaddamn did Sephiroth gently caress Wutai UP! WELP better give him a big ol' lab and a budget and hope he strikes gold again. Out of curiosity what do you think their plan was if he uh--went a step too far?

President Shinra is an ultra rich old shithead who plainly thinks it just can't happen to him. Professor Hojo can do whatever he wants as long as it makes money or a weapon, if he happens to become a problem then dealing with him will be as simple as ordering somebody else to deal with it while Daddy has another cigar.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

President Shinra was obviously fine with torturing the location to the Promised Land out of Aerith, so him not giving a gently caress about what goes on in the Science department is pretty much expected.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do they think the Promised Land is like... A physical place they can go to? Or some sort of metaphysical plane that only Ancients can access?

Imagine Shell in 2020 pouring all their resources into finding mythical lands with untold caches of oil. Even going to war over i- oh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

Do they think the Promised Land is like... A physical place they can go to? Or some sort of metaphysical plane that only Ancients can access?

Imagine Shell in 2020 pouring all their resources into finding mythical lands with untold caches of oil. Even going to war over i- oh.

They think it is a literal place they can go to. Their plan is to build Neo-Midgar there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

stev posted:

A portal that only an Ancient can open, some kind of Atlantis like spot overflowing with thousands of planets worth of Mako untapped for millenia, dormant Mako volcanos that won't erupt until an Ancient arrives, something along those lines.

Personally, I hope they never lose that hope. Even as Meteor hurtles toward the planet, they think that if they get Aerith to the Promised Land it'll activate the Cetra's Mako Transmutation Circle and it'll turn Meteor into a giant ball of Mako that they can harvest for another 80,000 years before it runs out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alien mako, so we can transition directly to FF7 The Spirits Within. :getin:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

So it's a lot of this guy is a ghoul and clearly has a fetish for loving around with monsters but gaddamn did Sephiroth gently caress Wutai UP! WELP better give him a big ol' lab and a budget and hope he strikes gold again. Out of curiosity what do you think their plan was if he uh--went a step too far? Like, for example the plot of FF7? Rufus and co. figure out Sephiroth ain't dead and has become some sort of monstrosity pretty quickly. You'd think they would bring that up with him instead of letting him off the hook to be awful on a beach.

I love how the remake makes it very clear that they're all just tolerating Hojo at best.

Wasn't there also an email in Crisis Core that mentioned how Shinra scientists aren't fired for loving up and they're incentivized to compete with each other or something? I forget how it works exactly.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:lol: I never realized Cloud's dress came from Chocobo Sam. He admits it when you talk to him outside the Wall Market entrance after leaving the Honeybee Inn.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I love how the remake makes it very clear that they're all just tolerating Hojo at best.

Wasn't there also an email in Crisis Core that mentioned how Shinra scientists aren't fired for loving up and they're incentivized to compete with each other or something? I forget how it works exactly.

Hojo and Dr. Hollander actively competed to see who could create the most hosed up super soldier by injecting a human with JENOVA cells. Hojo created Sephiroth and won.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 23, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flopsy posted:

They had no plan, they don't and never have cared cause they believe they have enough money and power to be unaffected by whatever bad poo poo happens. Their plan to get rid of some terrorists they could have smoked at any moment was to destroy 1/8th of their city and then go "Oh well, don't worry about rebuilding that we've got more money to make".

It is a critique of the heads of capital in the face of ecological disaster, you see. They're jeff bexos trying to build a hyper bunker in space.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They had no plan, they don't and never have cared cause they believe they have enough money and power to be unaffected by whatever bad poo poo happens. Their plan to get rid of some terrorists they could have smoked at any moment was to destroy 1/8th of their city and then go "Oh well, don't worry about rebuilding that we've got more money to make".

It is a critique of the heads of capital in the face of ecological disaster, you see. They're jeff bexos trying to build a hyper bunker in space.

Also Hojo quit Shinra, short of holding him captive what else could they do other than keep an eye on him?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well when you put it that way it sounds like our current government.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Also Hojo quit Shinra, short of holding him captive what else could they do other than keep an eye on him?

Kill him so he doesn't run the risk of getting lured away by a competitor. See for example Hollander.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Flopsy posted:

Well when you put it that way it sounds like our current government.

Kill him so he doesn't run the risk of getting lured away by a competitor. See for example Hollander.

They couldn't kill him, they needed him because he was the only one who really knew anything about the JENOVA Reunion Theory.

Also, what competitors to Shinra are there?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

What competetor, though? The only other scientists that we know of either used to work for Shinra and probably hate him (Bugenhagen) or aren't in the same field as him. Wutai isn't a threat anymore by the time Hojo quits. There's no competition! And the Turks probably should have been keeping an eye on him but they were busy tracking Sephiroth.

edit: I GUESS the bigger Avalance group (and maybe Wutai) would be a good competitor in the remake, now that I'm thinking about it.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 23, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

anakha posted:

:lol: I never realized Cloud's dress came from Chocobo Sam. He admits it when you talk to him outside the Wall Market entrance after leaving the Honeybee Inn.

That depends on whose quests you do. If you do Madam M's, she comments "What's another dress between friends?" Which, listen, I love you Madam M but I just killed a crazy house because you wouldn't give me a dress. Yes, yes, I know, nailed it, moving on.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

What competetor, though? The only other scientists that we know of either used to work for Shinra and probably hate him (Bugenhagen) or aren't in the same field as him. Wutai isn't a threat anymore by the time Hojo quits. There's no competition! And the Turks probably should have been keeping an eye on him but they were busy tracking Sephiroth.

edit: I GUESS the bigger Avalance group (and maybe Wutai) would be a good competitor in the remake, now that I'm thinking about it.

I figure anybody Hojo goes to work for automatically counts as a competitor. Then again that's assuming anyone else would be as tolerant of his weird rear end.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I must be really dumb but where is Barret's final weapon? I assume it's not the one you buy from Hart for 10k, because I'm still missing one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That is the final one, so not much telling which ones you're missing. One is buyable in Chapter 13 from a guy in the slums, one is buyable from the Moogle kid, one is in Chapter 14 for doing the Subterranean quest

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

I must be really dumb but where is Barret's final weapon? I assume it's not the one you buy from Hart for 10k, because I'm still missing one.

I don't know what you're missing so here's everything

• Gatling Gun - Barrett gets the Gatling Gun at the beginning of the game.
  • Light Machine Gun - Barrett is given the light machine gun at the end of Chapter 6.
  • Big Bertha - You can buy Big Bertha in Chapter 13 from the Sector 7 Slums weapons shop owner.
  • Steel Pincers - Can be purchased from the Moogle child in Chapter 14 of the game for a total of seven Moogle Medals.
  • Wrecking Ball - The Wrecking Ball is a reward for completing the Chapter 14 side quest called Subterranean Menace.
  • EKG Cannon - Can be bought from Hart in Chapter 16 for a total of 10,000 Gil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm not surprised they did this (because Square), but it kind of blows that there's one weapon (Aerith's) that you have to use Steal on a boss to get.

I also missed the EKG Cannon twice because you have to talk to Hart within the 2 minutes between finishing the chat with the Mayor and finding the mole which loving seriously?