Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Another legend lost :( До свидания, buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Just imagine "gently caress" and "poo poo" scrolling across the bottom your screen a lot.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

It was just an incredibly surprising death.

lol, it really was just plain ol' Grenadier Curse, eh? Well, I had a good run. Glad they didn't get SilentSnack too! They sure came dangerously close.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just imagine "gently caress" and "poo poo" scrolling across the bottom your screen a lot.

I watched the uncaptioned version and pretty much assumed this. I was genuinely concerned that they'd keep you from completing the demolition and actually end the campaign.

(Which would have been kinda hilarious -- one and a half missing videos and then suddenly "anyway, that's how we lost the game.")

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

lol, it really was just plain ol' Grenadier Curse, eh? Well, I had a good run. Glad they didn't get SilentSnack too! They sure came dangerously close.

After that intro all the misses on Din also made me sweat.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know, considering they all took shots at someone in high cover instead of what they normally would do, and all those shots hit, I'm wondering if there wasn't some bug where SIlentSnack's cover wasn't being applied properly.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gothsheep posted:

You know, considering they all took shots at someone in high cover instead of what they normally would do, and all those shots hit, I'm wondering if there wasn't some bug where SIlentSnack's cover wasn't being applied properly.

Could be. The video you saw happened after I reloaded the game, because AkraticMethod’s body wasn’t where I expected it to be, and so I couldn’t figure out how to pick it up.

I wonder if it was like Roth right before I got her killed, with her actually in one tile, but displaying as if she were in another.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FairGame posted:

because AkraticMethod’s body wasn’t where I expected it to be

I do know that the game does not change the "true" location of a body just because the ragdoll system caused it to fly somewhere, so if you want to pick someone up you always go next to where they stood when they fell, even if they got thrown back/off/away. That's not the most intuitive behavior, but it's not a bug per se in that it's probably something done on purpose after a playtester had a corpse with unique equipment get railing-killed into a pit or something.

No idea if that's what happened in the lost video, though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've been seeing that "model not showing up on the proper square" glitch a lot since I started replaying. In one case, an Archon zapped all the way to edge of the skybox. I wonder if it's a recent patch? Seems to occur most often when multiple actions like chain shot, Guardian, and planewalker try to proc at the same time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Does Void Conduit work on Chosen?

No. :(

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

(This is two separate videos. Same mission, plus a lot of strategic layer stuff.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All those Lost. Shame you didn't pack someone with Faceoff or a Flamethrower

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Surprised he didn't pop Megane's ionic storm, it's meant for situations like that. OTOH, it probably would have melted his PS4.

Seeing a Chosen get dunked by a repeater will never get old.

Modular/improved cannons are some of the best of the weapon breakthroughs, since you don't get a special cannon, and scope/stock/magazine are all in serious competition for the two slots in the endgame.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Vaughan is loving terrifying.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
WHAT. DID. YOU . DO!

My flowing blond locks are now white as a sheet! not even platinum blond, but white!

I am younger than my age says! I am capable of fighting! Don't you dare finish this fight without me!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

cambrian obelus posted:

WHAT. DID. YOU . DO!

My flowing blond locks are now white as a sheet! not even platinum blond, but white!

I am younger than my age says! I am capable of fighting! Don't you dare finish this fight without me!

Because I'm bad at psi operative usage and don't even take them out of the cell until they're pristine, there's a good chance the only psi op activity in this entire LP will be either:

1.) Reporting in on their training every 2 weeks or so, OR
2.) I flip a coin and one of the two goes on the final mission so I can dominate a Gatekeeper, and the other one just walks around the Avenger and spooks the hell out of everyone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FairGame posted:

Could be. The video you saw happened after I reloaded the game, because AkraticMethod’s body wasn’t where I expected it to be, and so I couldn’t figure out how to pick it up.

I wonder if it was like Roth right before I got her killed, with her actually in one tile, but displaying as if she were in another.

Wait I felt behind, you did WHAT

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
So, as it turns out, you didn't have lightning reflexes...

Welcome to the Dead Grenadiers Society.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Roth posted:

Wait I felt behind, you did WHAT

Mission 1-32, when we were trying to recover Din, who'd been captured in a previous mission. The glitch he's referring to happened around here.

As for your actual death itself, that happened a bit later.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I really wish the plasma guns didn't look like toys. The plasma minigun is the worst offender imo, it looks so lovely.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Grapplejack posted:

I really wish the plasma guns didn't look like toys. The plasma minigun is the worst offender imo, it looks so lovely.

Aren't goofy impractical retro-scifi weapon/armor/alien designs kinda iconic of the xcom series though? Though I'd agree that they don't really fit very well with the serious duct-tape-and-supertech (kludgepunk?) grunge aesthetic of xcom2's resistance theme.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Holy hell Grapplejack, your character looks awesome in the W.A.R. Suit. Bandanna really sells it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Personally I hope that I get bonded with someone else, so I can relive the glory days of yelling at someone to do something from across the field. And also not die, that would be cool.

Donkringel posted:

Holy hell Grapplejack, your character looks awesome in the W.A.R. Suit. Bandanna really sells it.

I love the exalt bandanna tbh, it looks great.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, can't wait for my plasma lance. And I'm pleasantly surprised the game is nice enough to let you complete the mission when all Advent/chosen are dead, instead of making you race for crates against the timer and endless lost swarms.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm kind of sad you aren't going to be showing off the other alien rulers. I understand why, they're just a roadblock and if you can avoid them, why not? But still, they're interesting and I do like the rewards for them.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

I'm kind of sad you aren't going to be showing off the other alien rulers. I understand why, they just die to repeaters.

Fixed. Everything dies to repeaters if you have enough of them.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Fixed. Everything dies to repeaters if you have enough of them.

Maybe, but how else are you going to hollow out an alien's skin and then wear it like some alien-hunting Buffalo Bill?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

I'm kind of sad you aren't going to be showing off the other alien rulers. I understand why, they're just a roadblock and if you can avoid them, why not? But still, they're interesting and I do like the rewards for them.

the archon king is the worst enemy in the entire series, and yes i'm including lobstermen.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

the archon king is the worst enemy in the entire series, and yes i'm including lobstermen.

But the thing you get for killing him is so good.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So if we aren't going to see those two assholes, can someone explain a bit about the exploitation strats to me? Namely the one that Danaru's drunk LP used, which I think was a bunch of people with squadsight sniping the archon king from so far away that the ruler's interrupts/special abilities didn't trigger or otherwise were ineffective. Am I correct about this or remembering stuff wrong?

I am looking forward to seeing the chosen get the smarmy grins wiped off their faces, though.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Super Cheese gently caress-Off-Enemy Button combo:

You need a Reaper with the skill Banish, and they must be equipped with a Superior Repeater (15% chance for an instakill) and a Superior Expanded Magazine (+3 to mag size, for six total shots). Having AP rounds is nice, in case the trick fails to work. I think you get Banish as a choice when promoting to Major.

Banish allows the Reaper to fire at one target until it is dead or the magazine is empty. Six shots with a 15% chance of instantaneous murder means that the chance of executing the target at any time beforethe mag empties is about 62.3%, assuming all shots hit (1-0.85 to the power 6, that is 1 - the chance of none of the shots proccing Execute). There is a Resistance order that gives improved weapon mods which makes this strategy more likely to succeed, but a 62% chance of a dead Archon King? Sign me up!

Danaru's method works too, as does a lucky Repeater proc from anywhere.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Shhhh spoilerssss

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Marla..."
"Yeah?"
"Don't look but there's a giant robot behind you."
"Shhh! Maybe they'll just...go away or something. And don't you mention that weird woman in the hoodie on your right, don't tell me you didn't see her."
"I'm totally honest I didn't because I'm staring past your shoulder at this chick with a blue mohawk, she's fooling no one pretending to hide behind a waist-high box."

[Fifteen seconds later the screaming starts.]

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

kw0134 posted:

"I'm totally honest I didn't because I'm staring past your shoulder at this chick with a blue mohawk, she's fooling no one pretending to hide behind a waist-high box."

I know the Xcom Resistance has their whole "Rebel Outcast" schtick going one, but it's impressive they have hair dye. Here are my theories.

1) Gene clinic changed the hair color before the soldier went rebel.
2) The soldier has concocted their own hair dye brew with odds and ends they found on the Avenger. This will cause cancer in 15 years.
3) Elaborate wig.
4) Alien biology.

Edit: Hey Fairgame, does it help to Like your videos at all? I didn't do it since I figure it doesn't do anything useful for your channel, but if it does I can take some time going through your vids pressing the Like button. You've given far more at any rate.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 22, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Donkringel posted:

Edit: Hey Fairgame, does it help to Like your videos at all? I didn't do it since I figure it doesn't do anything useful for your channel, but if it does I can take some time going through your vids pressing the Like button. You've given far more at any rate.

Don't care about that at all. I have zero plans to become a YouTube person and this is sufficiently niche content that even if everyone liked it I can't imagine it'd make a difference. I absolutely could not care less about people mashing a button or not on a given platform. Also, don't leave YT comments; I will neither read nor respond to them. YouTube is just a platform to upload this stuff; nothing more.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Tactical Analysis is the best resistance order/bonus, and the only thing that might be close is starting with the one that lets you dig 50% faster. It makes the final room of the final mission that you're worried about a lot easier to manage. Good luck with the Assassin. I've found that these missions can be widely variable in their difficulty, but you're far enough along that I can't see you having a lot of trouble.

FairGame posted:

I have zero plans to become a YouTube person
Bless you.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh, I'm quite confident the Assassin is going to get humiliated. The only Chosen I can see as being a problem is the Warlock because he's got Planeswalker now. and coupled with a spectral army and the adds from the mission itself, I could see myself eventually losing someone in a war of attrition.

Those of you who've been impressed by Vaughn just murdering everything should note that Serial (and Reaper) are only good for cleaning up wounded guys (or occasionally 1-shotting some basic ADVENT mook with a talon round-aided crit from full health.)

We've got a lot of options (serial, reaper, faceoff, the blaster bomb) for doing a good amount of damage to multiple targets in a single turn.

We don't have many options for doing an absolutely obscene amount of damage to the same target. The reaper's "banish," the ranger's "rapid fire," the sharpshooter's "fan fire," and the grenadier's "chain shot," and the SPARK's "overdrive" all accomplish this. And maybe sometimes so does Din if the hair trigger on her bullpup procs. But for a unit like the Warlock who teleports after each time he takes damage, it'd be a LOT better to dump all my damage on him at once--and I really can't do that. Meaning he's going to eat up a good amount of actions to put down, which in turn means anything he summons might end up unmolested.

We're not there yet, but "put down high HP priority targets while there are a crapload of additional things" is also how the final room of the final mission works, and that's why I'm nervous about it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I love that you've gotten so used to the Serpent Armor's Frostbite missing that you completely failed to notice that you successfully froze the Purifier right before you put an axe through the Shieldbearer's face. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FairGame posted:

We're not there yet, but "put down high HP priority targets while there are a crapload of additional things" is also how the final room of the final mission works, and that's why I'm nervous about it.
You have a few more options for this than you mentioned. Dual strike is available for all the level 3 bond mates, and both soldiers get to take their shot before planeswalker procs. Similarly, if you take your Ranger or Skirmisher shots from point blank, they get an extra melee swipe on the enemy turn (though that doesn't work on planeswalkers). Did any of your soldiers roll rapid fire or chain shot as bonus skills?

A lot of it is what comes out for the adds though. Between blaster bombs, dragon round faceoff, ionic storm, death from above, serial, reaper, void rift, etc. there are just so many options for taking down low HP enemies like Sectoids, vipers, codicies, lids, faceless in an action-efficient manner that they can't meaningfully affect your plans unless they get a really good scamper move.