Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
MOTHERFUCKER THE RING MADE ISILDUR INVISIBLE BEFORE IT BETRAYED HIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

No. But his videos suck and he's aggressively pursuing the whole epic cringe Encyclopedia Dramatica house style that everyone else rightfully discarded sometime in Obama's first term.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

MOTHERFUCKER THE RING MADE ISILDUR INVISIBLE BEFORE IT BETRAYED HIM

*calmly* Isildur was a hobbit then.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

drat it I kinda like his videos. Don't ruin this channel for me. gently caress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LeafyOrb posted:

If the ring makes people invisible but Sauron’s armor is visible while wearing it, that implies he made special armor that is immune to the effects of the ring therefore, he made anti-invisibility armor to go with his invisibility ring.

iirc, the invisibility thing was just kind of its default mode. anyone strong enough to actually control its power didn't turn invisible when they put it on(not that there are many examples).

basically, Isildur was an idiot who could have never used the ring anyway, if it turned him invisible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I had got given the Ring of Power, I would've simply used it for good purposes and not evil ones.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

RFC2324 posted:

iirc, the invisibility thing was just kind of its default mode. anyone strong enough to actually control its power didn't turn invisible when they put it on(not that there are many examples).

basically, Isildur was an idiot who could have never used the ring anyway, if it turned him invisible.

So invisibility is basically the ring's way of flashing 12:00 over and over until the wearer figures out to do with it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Are Internet Historian (Incognito mode) videos considered memes? they look like a long meme and his ads are memes. (I'll remove the link if not ok)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPlFdIpgioI
lol no its good leave it
:justpost:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gollum was a hobbit who wore/carried the ring for long periods and well, became Gollum

Though you're still pretty much right in that they can't think of poo poo to do with it

Could Sauron see Gollum when he was wearing it that whole time below Mount Whatever? Or did he just hold onto it and not wear it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mdemone posted:

Could Sauron see Gollum when he was wearing it that whole time below Mount Whatever? Or did he just hold onto it and not wear it?

I think he wasn't actively searching for it, or didn't have the ability to. He was a lot weaker for a while when he was "the necromancer" in the Hobbit, and had relatively recently gotten strong enough to start projecting influence and power by the start of LotR.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yikes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think he wasn't actively searching for it, or didn't have the ability to. He was a lot weaker for a while when he was "the necromancer" in the Hobbit, and had relatively recently gotten strong enough to start projecting influence and power by the start of LotR.

I seem to recall that the Ring was actually hiding from Sauron for whatever reason at that point, tho I have no idea where I got that. Basically, the Ring deliberately betrayed Sauron at the end of the War of the Last Alliance because it wanted to be lost for a while.

Additionally, Gollum had pretty much stopped using the Ring other than special purposes, not even carrying it anymore. He kept it on his island in the middle of the lake Bilbo met him at. He only got it out to sit and dote on how beautiful it was, or to kill the very occasional goblin to eat. He had to be careful about killing goblins tho, if he took too many then the whole tribe would come looking.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

https://twitter.com/YourOldPalCrud/status/1263003971976863746?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the first one say, I can't see without my glasses.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Well don't give up. You have to fight the sadness.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

zoux posted:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hits too close

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also applies when something jerks an ear bud out of your ear, that really rustles my jimmies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's nothing wrong with jerking a bud.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
More specifically, it happens to me when I'm mad at myself, because I'm the stupidest person alive who can never do anything right, and also I'm cleaning the apartment, I assume because I'm throwing my body around melodramatically like a community theater actor.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For fucks sake people, demigods like Sauron can change shape and size at will. Gandalf also does it when he intimidates Bilbo into handing the ring over. And while it's certainly not canon in any way Shelob is a hot lady in that latest Mordor game.
Sauron forged the ring so it would fit his finger no matter what form he took. That's why it fits hobbits.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/arktoons/status/1262445451287990272

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

This got a belly laugh out of me
https://twitter.com/ninspriter/status/1263164085237092353?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzL5aDcPvE

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

*calmly* Isildur was a hobbit then.

:chanpop:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Any mortal who wears the ring would go invisible

I don’t know what would happen if elfs wore it. They probably would not go invisible since they have more mastery of their spirit and magic

Dwarfs idk either. Probably not invisible.

Also “human fish face” is redundant.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1263828933021220864

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Any mortal who wears the ring would go invisible

I don’t know what would happen if elfs wore it. They probably would not go invisible since they have more mastery of their spirit and magic

Dwarfs idk either. Probably not invisible.

Also “human fish face” is redundant.

Does Isildur don the ring in the books I cannot recall

ISILDUR!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes tho I guess it is technically ambiguous if he was invisible

‘But the Ring was lost. It fell into the Great River, Anduin, and vanished. For Isildur was marching north along the east banks of the River, and near the Gladden Fields he was waylaid by the Orcs of the Mountains, and almost all his folk were slain. He leaped into the waters, but the Ring slipped from his finger as he swam, and then the Orcs saw him and killed him with arrows.’

Pointing out that you are only invisible to mortals when you wear the ring. Elves and angels can see you fine

Don’t bring up the Hobbit it’s not cannon

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How is Hobbit formed?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/TAXEVASlON/status/1263633543072296960

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrible shame what happens to them if they stay out in the sun too long.

euphronius posted:

Yes tho I guess it is technically ambiguous if he was invisible

‘But the Ring was lost. It fell into the Great River, Anduin, and vanished. For Isildur was marching north along the east banks of the River, and near the Gladden Fields he was waylaid by the Orcs of the Mountains, and almost all his folk were slain. He leaped into the waters, but the Ring slipped from his finger as he swam, and then the Orcs saw him and killed him with arrows.’

Pointing out that you are only invisible to mortals when you wear the ring. Elves and angels can see you fine

Don’t bring up the Hobbit it’s not cannon

Also, like, the big isildur shaped hole in the river would probably be a bit sus.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looks like someone took another stab at a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXglHbYB1Y4

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Does anyone have the meme in the "haha go brrr" format but it's the crying guy with an unreadable wall of text and 2001 and solaris posters behind him vs a dude going "haha love transcends space and time" with an Interstellar poster behind him? I've tried digging around and can't find it anywhere.

E: paying my tax

ATP_Power has a new favorite as of 21:54 on May 22, 2020

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

zoux posted:

If I had got given the Ring of Power, I would've simply used it for good purposes and not evil ones.

Yes! This is exactly what I'm saying! That's why I should be the one to wield it's power. Now let me see it or I'll loving stab someone.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My obligatory contribution:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

My obligatory contribution:

:bisonyes: