Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

although I suppose you can always pop down to the pub for tea, or maybe walk down to the local Tesco express

You'd be lucky in some of the farms round here. Miles from any shop at all let alone a Tesco Express (and no public transport. I read one of the issues British people who have applied are having is that the farms don't allow them to take their own transport - presumably so they can't leg it at midnight).

Ed: 109

109-Year-Old Veteran and His Secrets to Life Will Make You Smile | Short Film Showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

£52.85 plus the ordinary rent on the other accommodation that you still need to keep for afterwards is, in fact, £52.85 more expensive than the private sector

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
We have been asked to accept a 10% pay cut today which will last a year (providing that the economy recovers!!?) and that about 12% of staff will be made redundant.

These last 5 years I've been staying in the same job because i was worried about Brexit related redundancy, but all the time I should have been worried about a pandemic!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You'd be lucky in some of the farms round here. Miles from any shop at all let alone a Tesco Express (and no public transport. I read one of the issues British people who have applied are having is that the farms don't allow them to take their own transport - presumably so they can't leg it at midnight).

Ed: 109

109-Year-Old Veteran and His Secrets to Life Will Make You Smile | Short Film Showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs

the pub will also be closed, so I guess you'll just have to pay for whatever they've got going at the farm

or just eat the beetroots right out of the dirt like an animal I suppose

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
There used to be a farm near here that had an actual company shop [ran by the farmer's Über Karen daughter, of course] and a percentage of the picker's [piss-poor] wages paid in company scrip. Reported them about a zillion times, nothing was done. Pleased to report a pissed off Romanian computer programmer [who'd been shanghai'd into the job by a misleading advert] eventually torched the place, then buggered off home before they could catch him. Hooray!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I made bagels from scratch today and they were very tasty and better than the New York ones I can't get anymore. Using these things I bought years ago and just found in a cupboard.

Also going back many pages to picture-hanging chat, having also played 3M strip Russian roulette and lost, I recommend concrete hooks that look like this. Just bash the pins through the hook into the concrete, sturdier than a simple nail. Not sure how easy they are to get out though.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

We have been asked to accept a 10% pay cut today which will last a year (providing that the economy recovers!!?) and that about 12% of staff will be made redundant.
Well that loving sucks. They might not be able to force this, depending on the terms of your contract, but possibly not the best idea to push it whilst they're still deciding who the 12% are - have you got a Union? Or, do you reckon you could organise your colleagues if sufficiently supported?

Bobstar posted:

strip Russian roulette
dude keep your necrophilic tendencies to yourself

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Disgusting Coward posted:

There used to be a farm near here that had an actual company shop [ran by the farmer's Über Karen daughter, of course] and a percentage of the picker's [piss-poor] wages paid in company scrip. Reported them about a zillion times, nothing was done. Pleased to report a pissed off Romanian computer programmer [who'd been shanghai'd into the job by a misleading advert] eventually torched the place, then buggered off home before they could catch him. Hooray!

king poo poo right here.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Buses To Be Considered "Households" To Defeat Coronavirus, Says Minister

Once again, hundreds of years behind the Jewish community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

They are starting to get scared.
With limits that immigrants can't come in unless they are earning 25.5k, it won't be long until they force prisoners or job seekers to do this type of work.

blunt posted:

Pick below minimum wage.

Pick selling your wares to supermarkets, like Waitrose, for pennies for what it used to be worth.
Pick watching the % markup on the prices they then sell it for.
Pick watching your EU subsidy disappear soon.
Pick watching the Tories reference WW2 blitz spirit from their mansions.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 22, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

happyhippy posted:

With limits that immigrants can't come in unless they are earning 25.5k, it won't be long until they force prisoners or job seekers to do this type of work.

They've already said there will be exceptions for food pickers, and I assume they'll expand that in scope and quantity whenever they need to exploit a cheap workforce for work that brits are willing to make their lives substantially worse for.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

happyhippy posted:

The agricultural work visa scheme was always exempt from the new systems requirements, this is lock down movement restrictions causing problems with the supply of workers. This is the working class acting to protect itself and capitalists employing hard and soft power to force them to do what they want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am certainly hopeful about the outcome of everyone just going "gently caress off" to the notion of picking crops.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobstar posted:

having also played 3M strip Russian roulette and lost

so the other two guys could keep their clothes on?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I am certainly hopeful about the outcome of everyone just going "gently caress off" to the notion of picking crops.

Given current pandemic limitations it seems that working class strength absolutely does lie with organised absences but sadly I think this'll just cause major issues for agricultural communities when their commodity production just goes to poo poo because nothing is getting harvested. Potentially we will have a Black Death affect where those who are willing and able to do harvesting work suddenly do get the ability to make demands for their labour between farms because there's such a shortage but it's too early to say.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

so the other two guys could keep their clothes on?

:hai:

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

a true comrade

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Bobstar posted:

I made bagels from scratch today and they were very tasty and better than the New York ones I can't get anymore. Using these things I bought years ago and just found in a cupboard.

Also going back many pages to picture-hanging chat, having also played 3M strip Russian roulette and lost, I recommend concrete hooks that look like this. Just bash the pins through the hook into the concrete, sturdier than a simple nail. Not sure how easy they are to get out though.

Warning: even if you have a brick or concrete wall, these nail anchors will often not reach deeper than the plaster. For any pictures heavy enough to justify it, crack out the hammer drill and put a real anchor in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

They've already said there will be exceptions for food pickers, and I assume they'll expand that in scope and quantity whenever they need to exploit a cheap workforce for work that brits are willing to make their lives substantially worse for.
Yeah they're just going to try to use leaving the EU to switch to Filipino seasonal labor paid even worse.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah they're just going to try to use leaving the EU to switch to Filipino seasonal labor paid even worse.

This is absolutely what will happen if loyal Brits don't pitch in to enrich the dying farmer class.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Lol wait. They want to charge you 50 quid a week to stay in a caravan with who knows how many other people for the privilege of doing them a favour?

Pretty sure if you sqft this and add in all the people you share with they rake in more than a luxury penthouse in the square mile.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ronya posted:

Warning: even if you have a brick or concrete wall, these nail anchors will often not reach deeper than the plaster. For any pictures heavy enough to justify it, crack out the hammer drill and put a real anchor in.

Oh yeah, I meant mainly as an alternative for lighter things, the 3Ms can't carry that much anyway.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So if a picker does have to quarantine I wonder if they still get paid and if they don't do they still have to pay for the bedroom in the caravan?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

bessantj posted:

So if a picker does have to quarantine I wonder if they still get paid and if they don't do they still have to pay for the bedroom in the caravan?

I think you know.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Lol wait. They want to charge you 50 quid a week to stay in a caravan with who knows how many other people for the privilege of doing them a favour?

Pretty sure if you sqft this and add in all the people you share with they rake in more than a luxury penthouse in the square mile.

I said this here before, we sold our old house to a farmer who converted it so his immigrant workers could live.
First thing he asked us was to convert the electricity box to a coin/card operated one. One where he could sell the coins to them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A friend of mine in London said the real estate has gotten far too expensive. Does anybody have some resources on that, or any insight?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK is in a massive property bubble which London is basically ground zero of and basically has been for decades at this point. Rents are absurd, propery prices moreso. Frankly the entire concept of "real estate in london" is something that's so far out of most people's field of relevance that it might as well not exist.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think a lot of Russian crime money is in London real estate as well.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

OwlFancier posted:

The UK is in a massive property bubble which London is basically ground zero of and basically has been for decades at this point. Rents are absurd, propery prices moreso. Frankly the entire concept of "real estate in london" is something that's so far out of most people's field of relevance that it might as well not exist.

Seriously, a huge 4 or 5 bedroom detached house with a big garden in a nice neighbourhood in a northern city costs about the same as a 1 bed studio in inner London

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

I think a lot of Russian crime money is in London real estate as well.

There's certainly a lot of idiotic luxury flats being made purely for property speculation, which is also a problem I believe NYC is experiencing to some degree.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I take it not commensurate with real wage increases even in London.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There hasn't been a real wage increase in the UK as far as I know for decades. The property market across the entire country is completely detached from everything else in terms of the scale of money involved, but london is like... basically billionaires only. Except for people who have lived there their entire lives and bought their house like 40 or 50 years ago. Who are now millionaires by default for owning any shithole in the right postcode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

London wages aren't that much better than the rest of the country for your average worker (ie not city wanker) - especially not taking the cost of living into account. The main benefit of London is the quantity of average paid jobs with the slight possibility of moving into a city wanker job.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This article has graphs of house prices vs wage
https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2019-08-23%E2%80%8C%E2%80%8C/house-prices-are-becoming-more-affordable-uks-most-expensive-cities

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
https://twitter.com/mashable/status/1263836719104876545

lmao

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Pity the wage for a lot of people is going to be £0 from now on :smithicide:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge Update

So, you guys have been amazing. Absolutely incredible. I’m blown away by the level of solidarity and support shown.

So much so, I’m going to have to close to orders as of midnight this evening, due to reaching capacity for this month’s cook!

To summarise: Orders close at midnight tonight for delivery by June 10th.

The next batch will be coming around the middle of July, details to come soon. :)

Catte Update

Bob has been grumpy all day, but that’s just his nature. His face appears to have healed somewhat, but I’m not going to share a pic as he still has a wound there.He’s a real unit of a cat- 6.5 kilos and pretty much all muscle.
Digby is back to his old self, spending most of his time as a liquid. He’s also been enjoying Cat-tv with the wife.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He's seriously fluffy.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jippa posted:

He's seriously fluffy.

He’s quite short-legged as Maine coons go, and his fur is very fine. He basically looks like a swiffer when he’s walking along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
:kiss: