Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does Arena let you play as a solo player in the Sloop tournament? I tried to enter as one but it seemed to need me to have a crewmate to enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It will not, but you can join an open crew. If you want to play alone, vote to close the crew and it will close when your pubbie crewmate inevitably leaves.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
They posted this on twitter and you have about ~70mins from right now to have on twitch for 30 mins to get the obsidian hull https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1258401422154006528

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

They changed it about an hour later all you have more time to get the first item :D

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1258473194723385350?s=19

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

gently caress you, tony! :argh:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The only valid use for the harpoon rowboat is hauling cargo from point A to the ship and from the ship to point B. gently caress actually carrying those dozens of crates you get from the Emissary MA voyage. :colbert:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Merijn posted:

The only valid use for the harpoon rowboat is hauling cargo from point A to the ship and from the ship to point B. gently caress actually carrying those dozens of crates you get from the Emissary MA voyage. :colbert:

We use them as storage crates until we find actual storage crates so we can get our ship ridiculously over stocked. Also when we hit the anchor to pick up shinies from barrels but they're now behind us.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

My crew and I had a great day of hunting last weekend in a brig. We cleared 100k gold.

Highlight was running down a sloop for about ten minutes. Our poorest gunner got a lucky shot right down the lower-rear deck gullet into the hold, where apparently the poor bastards had a stack of powder barrels. The entire thing went in a giant explosion and sank in like 30 seconds. Pulled 30k off just that sloop.

e: all stolen, did not a single skeleton's worth of honest work for the loot

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 20, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I love the part where the enemy crew guy starts screaming "XBOX OFF!!". I wonder if that actually works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwE7m3JW-I&t=697s

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

I love the part where the enemy crew guy starts screaming "XBOX OFF!!". I wonder if that actually works.

Only if the current user says it, you can't make someone else force-signout. It kinda works if you can trick people into saying it, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
With this coming to steam soon, is there crossplay across the different store fronts and even across platforms?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Complete cross-platform play.

And before someone pipes up about it: the entire game is cosmetic, so Steam will not be at a disadvantage.

life_source fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 22, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is there a progression system to it outside of getting cosmetics? Things like unlocking more missions, quests, activities and lore?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, there are three companies out of the six directly accessible ones for which leveling up your rep (by getting the appropriate loot to them) unlocks higher grades of missions (and cosmetics), although not fundamentally new missions, just harder and hopefully (but not necessarily) more profitable ones of existing types. The three remaining companies are fishmongers, arena pvp and main map pvp so they don't have missions for you anyway. Once you get up to level 50 in any three companies among the six (becoming a pirate legend) you gain access to a seventh company that has a new set of missions (but which are the usual types mixed up). All seven companies have their own rep level whcih unlocks, well, cosmetics.

You get lore by doing monthly events and achievement stuff (some of which points you to lore books or NPCs, including remains from past events). Those also give you doubloons, the second currency, which are used to buy monthly missions and cosmetics (or buy rep in the companies). For a whole bunch of the lore though you had to be there for the event, although for the second anniversary there's been abridged repeats. For example if you weren't there for the Great Shark Hunt or when a shopkeer conspired and managed to become a powerful undead captain who tried to invade the region, you can only read about it in scattered journals and hear about it from players and NPCs who were there, although you could redo the mission for a limited time a couple weeks ago.

Finally, there's the tall tales, a more story-rich campaign made of 9 missions (plus two more recent extras) which are unlocked in a coarse sequence (doing the introductory one unlocks the next one, which unlocks four more, then the last three are unlocked in sequence) and all pertain to one specific big adventurous chunk of lore.

Note that you can access missions or tall tales even if you aren't eligible, as long as another crew member is.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 22, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Whoa, great response, thank you for that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I haven't kept up with the thread since it's anemic launch, but how much has been added since? Is there a lot of stuff in the way of PvE? I remember the only thing to fight were skeletons with the Kraken and Megalodon eventually being added. The Steam release has piqued my interest and I'm sure jumping into it now would be playing a completely different game, I just want to double check though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they have some borderline myst tier puzzles ftw

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

sigher posted:

I haven't kept up with the thread since it's anemic launch, but how much has been added since? Is there a lot of stuff in the way of PvE? I remember the only thing to fight were skeletons with the Kraken and Megalodon eventually being added. The Steam release has piqued my interest and I'm sure jumping into it now would be playing a completely different game, I just want to double check though.

There's loads of PvE on top of the stuff that existed in the initial launch.

In the initial launch almost every single feature was PvE but you could steal the rewards of other people's PvE activities before they sold them.

It's only in the last couple of weeks they've implemented a system whereby you can potentially get rewards simply for sinking other ships even if they managed to sell all their loot or throw it over board (as long as they are an emissary). There's also the arena which is the dedicated PvP mode.

In terms of PvE there is, off the top of my head:

• The original three trading companies voyages
  • Becoming an emissary for a trading company and earning a multiplier for each item you sell
  • Going fishing and selling you food to the Hunters trading company
  • The original athena quests, plus the forsaken athena quest
  • The original skeleton forts
  • The kraken and/or megaladon attacking your ship
  • The skeleton NPC ship fights, both being attacked and going to set spawns
  • The tall tales, which are story driven quests with puzzles
  • The fortress of the damned, a skeleton Fort you set up and run over and over
  • This stuff with the ashen chests and keys
  • The flavour of the month special quests they sell from the tavern
  • Reapers chests that spawn in the world

The tall tales are a lot of fun on my opinion and give you a good story to follow, but they aren't great in terms of rewards. So if you want to grind up levels, unlock cosmetics etc I imagine the new emissary system is how to do it. If you want some story and you're not bothered about the reward, the tall tales are good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That owns, thanks for the info, probably going to pick it up along with several copies.

I'm sure the game has had a bunch of timed-cosmetic stuff, if there is any I assume Steam players are just assed out of that stuff?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there any reason not to become a emissary besides fear of the reapers or a afk crew, because it seems like the majority of ships I come across aren't, just seems like free gold to me at the end of any voyage.

Thief posted:

they have some borderline myst tier puzzles ftw

I've only done the intro tall tales with friends leading up to a long boss fight that then splits off into a multiple choice to continue and haven't done any since then, are there any tall tales that are recommended as "you really should experience this" level of being good or are they all basically puzzles for 10 year olds with varying quality?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 23, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

sigher posted:

That owns, thanks for the info, probably going to pick it up along with several copies.

I'm sure the game has had a bunch of timed-cosmetic stuff, if there is any I assume Steam players are just assed out of that stuff?

At one point they basically implemented a store where stuff goes after the timed event runs out and it just costs more. Anything after that point you can buy, but anything before it you cannot. No idea if they do some sort of event to let steam people catch up on the cosmetics, but personally I don't think there's a lot of time locked stuff that is so amazing it becomes a big deal.

There's also always going to be stuff you can never get too, so trying to get everything is an exercise in failure. I have Vanguard sails, you can only get them by going back in time and playing the alpha. There's a set of sails for completing an achievement before they changed it in an update. There's even a dude with a banana sail as he won a competition and the prizes were a solid gold banana and a unique sail.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh that's cool as hell then, it makes me glad since play dress-up is important. Can you still not make your own pirate and are just dice-rolled how you look?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've only done the intro tall tales with friends leading up to a long boss fight that then splits off into a multiple choice to continue and haven't done any since then, are there any tall tales that are recommended as "you really should experience this" level of being good or are they all basically puzzles for 10 year olds with varying quality?

the trickster one is really good though it probably only took me so long to figure out because i was high af

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

sigher posted:

Oh that's cool as hell then, it makes me glad since play dress-up is important. Can you still not make your own pirate and are just dice-rolled how you look?

You can roll the dice over and over, you don't get a dedicated character creator but it didn't take me long to roll up a guy I was happy with. If you get a little ways in and decide you don't like your dudes' look you can always reset your account, you lose your gold and rep and stuff but unless you've been playing for a while all that's easy enough to get back

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

CainsDescendant posted:

You can roll the dice over and over, you don't get a dedicated character creator but it didn't take me long to roll up a guy I was happy with. If you get a little ways in and decide you don't like your dudes' look you can always reset your account, you lose your gold and rep and stuff but unless you've been playing for a while all that's easy enough to get back

Also you can just buy a change appearance potion at any outpost for five bux

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I think it's more like $1.49, not 5bux. And the premium currency (Ancient Coins) can either be bought with real money, or as a drop from rare blue/gold skeletons that carry a bag of gold around.

Here's a clip of when I got my 6th one in a year or so: https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/mrbellek/video/94463334

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Had a good 3h run with two goons tonight, they were gracious enough to show me the ropes and make sure I didn't blow anything up in the process. Oddly enough in that time we got attacked by 0 ships despite having a bunch of loot on deck at all times, and even the reaper chest at one point. Maybe the rainbow flag we wave with pride is filling people up with terror.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Gave chase to some guys in the same ship we had but they just kept jumping out of their ship ahead of us, and firebombing us, then getting mermaids back to our ship. That kind of gaming the system is very unfun and makes me realize rare really doesn't know how to make ship to ship combat actually fun and not just cheese.

Even killing them doesn't gain us anyway because they end up back on their ship in no time. Pretty dumb IMO

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Skyarb posted:

Gave chase to some guys in the same ship we had but they just kept jumping out of their ship ahead of us, and firebombing us, then getting mermaids back to our ship. That kind of gaming the system is very unfun and makes me realize rare really doesn't know how to make ship to ship combat actually fun and not just cheese.

Even killing them doesn't gain us anyway because they end up back on their ship in no time. Pretty dumb IMO

What type of ship was it? Because if it was a small ship killing the crew means that they aren't steering the ship which means you may be able to catch up with them.

Honestly I think it would have just made me more determined to catch up with them and kill the poo poo out of them for being annoying pricks, they'd run out of fire bombs eventually.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're following too close if they're able to jump out of their ship and gently caress with yours. Following directly behind someone is just asking to get hosed up. Could have been much worse than a firebombing lol

Chase at an outside angle, keep the enemy ship between your own ship and any islands/rocks/the map border if you want to actually catch someone. Make them take turns and have to adjust their sails, if your crew's coordinated enough you'll eventually catch them. Chasing was one of the things I was really good at when I still played (My internet's not good enough to play right now or I'd still be playing lol).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Conversely, nothing shocks a would be attacker like getting harpooned onto the deck and being suddenly surrounded.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skyarb posted:

firebombing without followup is insanely easy to deal with tbh, you gotta keep on your sail angles to catch up with them and once you do it should be GG

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

no mermaids or revives would be awesome but it would make the game wayyy too difficult for the vast majority of people that play. coordinated crews are far less common than just a bunch of ragtag groups of random players flopping around the server.

and yeah firebombs are inconsequential when thrown from people treading water if they can't board you. as long as you make sure the ladders are clear and they don't use kegs like mines or jihad you with them then they will eventually run out of wind or run out of map. in open water without the wind in their favor, their only hope is to drop your anchor to buy time and pray you eventually buzz off because they've become more trouble than they're worth

despite this i would still say generally the ship being chased has the advantage for several reasons unless the attacking crew is significantly better at being consistent and on point with their maneuvering when running them down. this is a big part of why stealing other players loot is so satisfying in the Sea of Thieves

one of the most popular tactics is to entice other players to approaching you by any means necessary rather than simply bumrushing them while hoping they aren't paying attention. some people do this by pretending to be new players as bait for curious ships while others will dangle high value like a carrot on a stick. and of course there's the alliance flags.

the ship to ship combat is very well balanced imo which is impressive considering this accounts for different types of boats, crew sizes and what weapons they use. and simply farming materials won't always save you because its too chaotic. what ends up happening is the game often rewards scoundrels who gamble on dirty tricks to gain an edge while sinking those that bite off more than they can chew. it all fits in perfectly with the theme

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Thief posted:

no mermaids or revives would be awesome but it would make the game wayyy too difficult for the vast majority of people that play. coordinated crews are far less common than just a bunch of ragtag groups of random players flopping around the server.

and yeah firebombs are inconsequential when thrown from people treading water if they can't board you. as long as you make sure the ladders are clear and they don't use kegs like mines or jihad you with them then they will eventually run out of wind or run out of map. in open water without the wind in their favor, their only hope is to drop your anchor to buy time and pray you eventually buzz off because they've become more trouble than they're worth

despite this i would still say generally the ship being chased has the advantage for several reasons unless the attacking crew is significantly better at being consistent and on point with their maneuvering when running them down. this is a big part of why stealing other players loot is so satisfying in the Sea of Thieves

one of the most popular tactics is to entice other players to approaching you by any means necessary rather than simply bumrushing them while hoping they aren't paying attention. some people do this by pretending to be new players as bait for curious ships while others will dangle high value like a carrot on a stick. and of course there's the alliance flags.

the ship to ship combat is very well balanced imo which is impressive considering this accounts for different types of boats, crew sizes and what weapons they use. and simply farming materials won't always save you because its too chaotic. what ends up happening is the game often rewards scoundrels who gamble on dirty tricks to gain an edge while sinking those that bite off more than they can chew. it all fits in perfectly with the theme

this is a good post.

also if you're having trouble catching a ship you're chasing you can try pulling off to broadside and firing a few of your dudes over. all you need is one guy on the ship to drop the anchor

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Does speed of ship, or how much wind you are tacking affect how fast you can turn?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Does speed of ship, or how much wind you are tacking affect how fast you can turn?

yeah, if you raise your sails you can turn significantly faster. if you're chasing a smaller ship and getting close to them it may be worth raising one of your sails a bit to aid in turning

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ok so a Shrouded Ghost spawned on me as I was approarching Galleon's Something Outpost

I raised sails to fight it but was too close to the island apparently and it despawned. I turned around to try and get it to attack me again - it never did, then spent the next ~3 hours sailing aimlessly across the map trying to find it again, which I didn't how was your day :black101:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr. Pickles posted:

Ok so a Shrouded Ghost spawned on me as I was approarching Galleon's Something Outpost

I raised sails to fight it but was too close to the island apparently and it despawned. I turned around to try and get it to attack me again - it never did, then spent the next ~3 hours sailing aimlessly across the map trying to find it again, which I didn't how was your day :black101:

I think Mr Pickles is suffering from Ocean Madness, everyone knows the shrouded ghost doesn't exist.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I seen't it with me own eyes, it swam right next to my boat for a good few seconds before diving back into the dark depths

I seen't it I tell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I think Mr Pickles is suffering from Ocean Madness, everyone knows the shrouded ghost doesn't exist.

I know people say this, but the SoT reddit is so entrenched in this joke, that the dead horse has been firmly beaten into a fine paste and I hate every redditor who keeps saying it.