Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Keegers posted:

Also what are some other good YouTube channels to check out. I watch mototrek, RevZilla, motorcycle magazine, and occasionally watch MCrider. I don't really care for the motologgers like walterrific.

Not specifically bike focused but if you like a guy repairing old motorcycles and everything else under the sun with an engine then give Mustie1 a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Keegers posted:

Also what are some other good YouTube channels to check out. I watch mototrek, RevZilla, motorcycle magazine, and occasionally watch MCrider. I don't really care for the motologgers like walterrific.

One of the threads in AI introduced me to Allen Millyard. This guy has multiple bikes in the Barber museum, and is just entertaining to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCqaW_gWdI

Oh, and all his builds are things like V12s and V8s.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Lyndon Poskitt races 2 places

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

my turn in the barrel posted:

New CEO keeps repeating a goal of returning to harleys roots which doesn't sound promising.
I think Harley's roots were being less popular than Indian, so this could be accurate

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Because the engine needs a certain oil level and with a sight glass it doesn't matter what the bike looks like, the level will always be the same. Dipstick setups have to account for side stand length, suspension sag and geometry and so on, so they have to be model specific. It's just easier. And you can crouch next to the bike and hold it upright yourself, that's why they're always (or should be) on the opposite side to the stand. So you crouch down and pull the bike up off the stand toward you until it's upright.

I had a Pegaso that held the oil in the frame, and had a dipstick front and center, so you'd just sit on the seat, stand the bike up, and check the oil from there. Pretty good setup.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

I had a Pegaso that held the oil in the frame, and had a dipstick front and center, so you'd just sit on the seat, stand the bike up, and check the oil from there. Pretty good setup.

DRZs are like this too.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Livewire shows that there are designers working there who know how to make a relevant, modern bike that is still very obviously a Harley, let them loose on whatever the most modern engine in the range is and see what they come up with.

Mission designed the LiveWire Powertrain, so factor that in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Deeters posted:

One of the threads in AI introduced me to Allen Millyard. This guy has multiple bikes in the Barber museum, and is just entertaining to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCqaW_gWdI

Oh, and all his builds are things like V12s and V8s.

He recently built a straight six by cutting up two old z900s. The thing looks stock somehow, it's freaking awesome.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Adding to smal bike chat, I'm 6'1" / 185cm and have had a 300cc bike for four years, including a year where it was my only vehicle as was ridden daily. People saying you need at least 600cc are wrong.

I mean, not to mention that engine displacements don't mean the same thing on all bikes. Like, a 600cc sport bike isn't a 650cc dual sport.

Anyway, please start with a smaller, lighter bike, like a 250cc or 300cc sport bike, or a 400cc or 600cc dual sport or super moto.

I'm almost certainly looking to get an adventure bike, but according to the new rider thread my 200+ lbs actually does warrant a 500cc bike so IDK.
My favorite as far as window shopping goes so far has always been the CB500X, but I still have to pass my test before I can actually go and try out some bikes. (Just trying to pass the time by researching as much as possible so I can get the buying part done quickly)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

SEKCobra posted:

I'm almost certainly looking to get an adventure bike, but according to the new rider thread my 200+ lbs actually does warrant a 500cc bike so IDK.
My favorite as far as window shopping goes so far has always been the CB500X, but I still have to pass my test before I can actually go and try out some bikes. (Just trying to pass the time by researching as much as possible so I can get the buying part done quickly)

You'll get told this by almost everyone here, but go for a dual sport or supermoto a first bike. You'll have the most fun and learn the fastest. They are very simple, forgiving, versatile, easy to learn maintenance on and ride in an upright position.

Oh and you can blast down fire trails and go adventure camping. Full blown adventure bikes are better at long highway stints but more expensive (to buy, maintain and repair), complicated, heavier etc etc. If you have a cheap Japanese dualsport you'll laugh rather than cry when you tip over in the driveway, kick the footpeg back into position, and off you go.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of people act like a big Harley is the final bike that everyone aspires to. I can’t tell you how many times people have seen my bikes and then asked if I’m riding that until I can afford a road king or whatever.

Which, first off is super lovely to say lol but secondly, I can’t imagine ever having a bike and being like “this is it, I’ll never want another bike again” or the concept of only going up in bike and engine size.

I literally just meant not ever 'upgrading' to another Harley from the dealership. I started with a Sportster, needed something with bags and some kind of wind protection, and then needed something that would be more stable over longer distances. I'm not going to see a HD ad for a Softail with a big fat tire and think yes, I also need this cruiser.

I still need more bikes. A grom or a CBR or something small to bomb around on.

Coydog posted:

So, like, a Honda Shadow? Or was the bang for your buck too intimidating?

My friend has a Shadow that I garage for him in the winter, and ride it every so often. I just don't find it comfortable at all.

Strife fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 20, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

a cb500x is a good beginnner bike. they're quite slow. you can upgrade them with wire wheels and poo poo if you want to do real offroad, but I would not recommend anything past gravel roads on a small adv bike if you're just starting out

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm far more "adventurous" on my 300lb WR than I would be on a 600lb ADV. "Adventure" bikes are just touring bikes with 80/20 tires on, it's all hype. If you do not want to ride long distances you don't want or need a touring bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

I rented a CB500x for a trip from Amsterdam to the coast of Italy and back, and found it to be a splendid bike. It was dependable, capable in a wide range of riding situations, and efficient. That said, by the end of the trip I was bored to tears with it, and happy to hand it back.

I'm not talking about the power output or whatever, there was just something terminally bland about it. I spend a month touring on an EX250, and found it to be as exciting at the end as it was at the start.

That aside, given your size and desire to adventure and play around with different riding types, can I introduce you to our lord and savior the DR650? Had one for almost 3 years and it's fully rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vB-5urcJI

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
People who know what they're doing, like Ryan F9, seem to be able to take them off road, but he learned how on dual sports and can still do more on those.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

SEKCobra posted:

The CB500X is a great beginner bike; are you looking at the older version or the update? It’ll handle 400lb no problem on the highway (two up touring with luggage.) I’ve put 25000 km on mine, and it’s needed nothing but basic maintenance, and the valves to be adjusted per the service intervals.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SEKCobra posted:

Like the previous statement about ADV bikes, the CB500X is just a street bike with off-road flair and (I think?) a bit higher clearance and more capable suspension. Which is in no way a strike against them, but they're not exactly the "dual sport but pretty" you might think. A true dual sport really is the ultimate bike, and they make better adventure bikes than adventure bikes do. A DRZ or DR650 has ample grunt to carry a bigger rider plus gear, and they're tall enough too.
I think the reviewer here is a little harsh on them, but then I'm a DR650 stan and all the issues he complains about are sorted out on mine. They make a better adventure bike than a DRZ400, but those two are probably the most adventured on bikes in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZAWeR46z_Q

Ultimately though, you want what you want, and if you want an adventure bike, make it happen. Don't get one first or even really soon, though. Get a smaller dual sport and have a bunch of fun. They don't depreciate that much, so you can be riding a perfectly capable and fun bike for a while until you save up some pennies for a nicer ADV bike. Dual sports are also a really great way to learn maintenance. Watch that entire series linked by Coydog.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not having ever done it, when I think of going off-road I imagine dropping my bike a lot. Thinking about dragging a 400lb bike off the ground vs a 260lb bike is giving me a headache.

I’ve kind of been keeping an eye out for a used KLX250 or DRZ for when plague is over.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I realize that an ADV is probably not that great for offroad, but really I am fairly sure I will mostly be on the road as everyone I'll be riding with is on Naked bikes anyway. I'm not opposed to the idea of getting a dual sport further down the line, but for now I just want a bike to start out with on the road and I think an adventure bike will be just fine for that. I consider it the SUV of the motorcycle world.

Most important to me are ABS and not having to cry if I drop the bike. This is one of many reasons why I seriously considered a smaller bike, as I can get a brand new V-Strom 250 completely kitted out for less than any 500cc bike with ABS would run me. But yeah, ultimately I think it will come down to test riding a few bikes and deciding then what works.

TRK502 is also dirt cheap right now to the point where I would not care dropping it compared to used bikes.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 20, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SEKCobra posted:

I realize that an ADV is probably not that great for offroad, but really I am fairly sure I will mostly be on the road as everyone I'll be riding with is on Naked bikes anyway. I'm not opposed to the idea of getting a dual sport further down the line, but for now I just want a bike to start out with on the road and I think an adventure bike will be just fine for that. I consider it the SUV of the motorcycle world.

Most important to me are ABS and not having to cry if I drop the bike. This is one of many reasons why I seriously considered a smaller bike, as I can get a brand new V-Strom 250 completely kitted out for less than any 500cc bike with ABS would run me. But yeah, ultimately I think it will come down to test riding a few bikes and deciding then what works.

TRK502 is also dirt cheap right now to the point where I would not care dropping it compared to used bikes.

Where are you that you have access to both a V-Strom 250 and TRK 502? The UK?

If you're going to mostly be on the road, then yeah, go with a smaller adventure bike, and especially if you're in a place the market actually exists. CB500X seems perfect for you. Might cry if you drop it though. There's also the BMW G310X or whatever.

And one last time beating the dead horse, there's always the DRZ factory supermoto, and a DR650 can be made into a great supermoto. Goon Horse Clocks is in the UK with a DRZ-SM and says good things. But those don't have ABS. I think the newer KLX250s have ABS, but I don't know if the supermoto version does.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't recommend any of the 310 BMW's, having now worked on a few I'd say they're worse than the KTM 390 for glittery turd factor.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where are you that you have access to both a V-Strom 250 and TRK 502? The UK?

If you're going to mostly be on the road, then yeah, go with a smaller adventure bike, and especially if you're in a place the market actually exists. CB500X seems perfect for you. Might cry if you drop it though. There's also the BMW G310X or whatever.

And one last time beating the dead horse, there's always the DRZ factory supermoto, and a DR650 can be made into a great supermoto. Goon Horse Clocks is in the UK with a DRZ-SM and says good things. But those don't have ABS. I think the newer KLX250s have ABS, but I don't know if the supermoto version does.

Europe, Austria to be exact. So basically the german market. No DR650 available anywhere as far as I can tell.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SEKCobra posted:

Europe, Austria to be exact. So basically the german market. No DR650 available anywhere as far as I can tell.

Yeah, you probably have a few more options close to exactly what you're looking for than we do in the states then.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Wasn't there some weird crazy german brand of dual-sports that was only sold there and like the UK that were supposed to be cool?

Edit: MZ! Get a weird brand that's in danger of going under due to obscurity! What could go wrong?

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 21, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I got passed on the motorway by a guy hauling three flat trackers in an open back Subaru Sambar microtruck, and felt true envy in my heart.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mirconium posted:

Wasn't there some weird crazy german brand of dual-sports that was only sold there and like the UK that were supposed to be cool?

Edit: MZ! Get a weird brand that's in danger of going under due to obscurity! What could go wrong?

The nice thing about the MZ Baghira at least was it used a Yamaha 660 engine so at least one critical part was engineered sensibly and not engineered with “small German company trying to make a name for themselves” energy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

Today I got passed on the motorway by a guy hauling three flat trackers in an open back Subaru Sambar microtruck, and felt true envy in my heart.

What the gently caress were you driving that you got passed by a Sambar?
In case you forgot, it's the long skinny one on the right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The nice thing about the MZ Baghira at least was it used a Yamaha 660 engine so at least one critical part was engineered sensibly and not engineered with “small German company trying to make a name for themselves” energy.

MZ owner manuals used to include a section along the lines of "If no MZ dealer is available, your local blacksmith may have the tools necessary for this".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What the gently caress were you driving that you got passed by a Sambar?
In case you forgot, it's the long skinny one on the right.

I like doing 60 these days, it's quieter and I'm only on the motorway for five minutes whether I rush or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Mm. Got to ride a bit of CA Hwy 9 and Hwy 35 yesterday. loving heaven.

In other news we finished our extensive review of the H-D LiveWire. It is a 30 minute watch but I think the content is good. Please let me know your thoughts if you get through it. Or if you don't!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJSSOC769Q

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I saw THREE boomers on HD’s today and not one of them waved at me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’ve had so many people wave at me that I wouldn’t have expected. From the grungiest hogs right out to scooters :haw:

I just idly wave at everyone now.

Also, invariably, everyone wants a wave while I’m busy working the clutch — sorry, you’ll all have to make do with an exaggerated nod :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rolo posted:

don't feel bad -- they were probably just too terrified to take a hand off the bars

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

I’ve had so many people wave at me that I wouldn’t have expected. From the grungiest hogs right out to scooters :haw:

I just idly wave at everyone now.

Also, invariably, everyone wants a wave while I’m busy working the clutch — sorry, you’ll all have to make do with an exaggerated nod :(

If it’s got two wheels I wave. Mopeds, bicycles, steamrollers, doggy wheelchairs, etc.

Edit: actually all dogs

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 22, 2020

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Then one day, after exclusively riding motorcycles for months, you drive a car. While driving you see a motorcyclist and instinctively smack your knuckles on the window and feel like an idiot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

If it’s got two wheels I wave. Mopeds, bicycles, steamrollers, doggy wheelchairs, etc.

Edit: actually all dogs

If I see a doggy wheelchair I'm pulling over because my heart is about to explode

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

No CHP? Maybe I’m paranoid, but I have been avoiding down there because I feel like an easy target for a ticket for non essential travel. I was going to go down this weekend or sometime next week but just stick to the county roads.

I had a meeting in San Jose on Monday and was going to take 9/35/84/1 back home but then my coworker showed up and wanted me to show him the warehouse so I spent all day on the freeway :smith:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Had an interesting ride today.
Experienced what it feels like to get the rear of you bike blown 2 feet sideways. Duck walking your bike 300f back down the road to not get tossed by the hurricane force wind gusts into the ravine. Finding a place to safely park and leave your bike in said winds to go help your brother that did get blown in to the ditch.
He was fine, good boots saved his left leg from getting banged up more than a swelling. Crash bars and luggage rack saved his Duke from getting nose damage than a slightly bent luggage rack.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

LodeRunner posted:

In other news we finished our extensive review of the H-D LiveWire. It is a 30 minute watch but I think the content is good. Please let me know your thoughts if you get through it. Or if you don't!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJSSOC769Q

Watched all of this. Great work on the video. I'm glad to have a chance to learn about such a mysterious bike, but god electrics seem like the worst to deal with on a day to day. Having a 1 or 2 gallon tank in a motorcycle drives me up the wall with worry about range, and that's generous compared to life with charging.

Just LMAO when you add that the bike sometimes decides to fake out and not charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Rolo posted:

What were you on?

Most riders around me are Harley's. My personal ratio is:
Ninja - 1/10 wave back
Tiger 5/10
Vstar - 10/10 (Good thing most of them have bad eyes and don't realize I'm on a "jap crap" vstar)