Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you ain’t into horny the Xenoblade series isn’t for you.

All the games are unabashedly horny no matter the creature.

Hell Xenoblade 1 had a big titty Mechon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Exactly. And the blade missions and heart-to-hearts are great. Wulfric is a perfect, wonderful creature.

I agree with all this except the game being easy; once you're in post-game or challenges you really do need to specialize things with good blades and min-max to farm superbosses and such. At that point only the most OP of OP 3 star common with the best RNG possible would be able to compete.

Unless you're doing specific god-tier setups, like murder mode Poppi or NG+ Zeke with KOS-MOS, a 3-4 star common blade with orb master is better than almost any rare blade if you want to kill super bosses, because orb master allows for stacking orbs much faster on bosses so you can fire off damage cap chain combos faster than otherwise possible.

And if they can be knocked around by driver combos, you don't need any extra blades because Rex can perform 3 out of 4 stages of the combo by himself and multiple party members can cover the missing combo status for him. Add in some boosts to swap blades faster and Rex can just stomp the poo poo out of things via driver combos.

multijoe posted:

Way too many of the rare Blades also had unbearably horny trash artwork when all I wanted was Zenobia but could I get Zenobia no have Tits Rabbit instead

Zenobia was the first or 2nd rare blade I pulled, and I did so at lvl 14 or so. Moved her from Nia to Rex and goddamn she murdered things.

That said, the gacha system is still trash and I wish it only existed for common blades, with rare blades all being available via quests.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 21, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wow how could you slander southern bell tits rabbit like that?? She just wants to make people happy.

There were a bunch of different artists designing the blades which is why they ended up being so starkly different.

At least the Gatcha system automatically gave you a few rare blades if you did enough pills without getting one. The idea that you got assigned a random number that determines which blades you were more likely to get made sense to me. But they also should have made the drop rates much higher, loving christ getting the last few blades took forever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're doing specific god-tier setups, like murder mode Poppi or NG+ Zeke with KOS-MOS, a 3-4 star common blade with orb master is better than almost any rare blade if you want to kill super bosses, because orb master allows for stacking orbs much faster on bosses so you can fire off damage cap chain combos faster than otherwise possible.

And if they can be knocked around by driver combos, you don't need any extra blades because Rex can perform 3 out of 4 stages of the combo by himself and multiple party members can cover the missing combo status for him. Add in some boosts to swap blades faster and Rex can just stomp the poo poo out of things via driver combos.

Zenobia was the first or 2nd rare blade I pulled, and I did so at lvl 14 or so. Moved her from Nia to Rex and goddamn she murdered things.

That said, the gacha system is still trash and I wish it only existed for common blades, with rare blades all being available via quests.

To be fair, Roc loving sucks and is his only source of a smash move so he is hampered by that. Zeke’s attack animations take forfuckingever to wind up, though, so it’s not like his smash attack is any better.

This is just another example of how much better Torna was. The way they handled Driver combos in Torna was awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you ain’t into horny the Xenoblade series isn’t for you.

All the games are unabashedly horny no matter the creature.

Hell Xenoblade 1 had a big titty Mechon

I play JRPGs I know a certain amount of horny comes with the deal and to be honest I enjoy a little bit of horny but some of the Xenoblade 2 designs were just awful, even playing by myself I felt embarassed to be playing the game a couple of times.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There were a bunch of different artists designing the blades which is why they ended up being so starkly different.

I don't think the Blade designs were even the worst part of this, having Nomura design all of Torna as well was extremely jarring, they legit looked like they'd just walked in out of a different game.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Slowly getting excited for XenoblaDE has gotten me back into listening to the XCX soundtrack, and goddamn if this might not be my favorite soundtrack to any game ever. I love when soundtracks just go all out with a huge mix of styles like XCX, FF7R, FF13-2 and No More Heroes 2. Makes me really, really sad that XCX is still stuck on the Wii U. :smith:

I'm planning on playing XC2 again after DE since I never actually finished it, but I keep hearing about the retcon that XC2 did and how the Future Connected scenario is going to play into that. Is it going to be a huge spoiler for XC2 to play FC first, or will we just not know the particulars until DE is out and everyone's played it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

I don't think the Blade designs were even the worst part of this, having Nomura design all of Torna as well was extremely jarring, they legit looked like they'd just walked in out of a different game.

As with all the blades being weird in the context of the rest of the world, that also works for people from a long obliterated land. Also I will hear no slander of Nomura as a character designer. He's great at it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 21, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

chumbler posted:

As with all the blades being weird in the context of the rest of the world, that also works for people from a long obliterated land. Also I will hear no slander of Nomura as a character designer. He's great at it.

I don't even have a problem with Nomura's designs, they were just extremely discordant with the rest of the cast who were designed in a fairly different style. Even before I knew they were designed by a different person their appearances bugged me because they just didn't look like they belonged in the game, and they're only a few hundred years old not from a different realm of existance or anything so I can't see it as 'a feature, not a bug'

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles but hated Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The art style did not do it for me, the characterization was even more threadbare than the first game and the confusing mishmash of mechanics was cumbersome and unnecessary. You get bombarded with garbage blades and cores to the point where you spend an obnoxious amount of time just farting around in the menus. I think I gave up at the halfway point in the story when it was clear things were not improving despite a pretty lengthy time investment.

Anyways looking forward to the remaster of the first game. It has its own flaws but at least its a good romp. The Wii never did it justice either, its a good candidate for a DE.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How much did XCX rely on the gamepad? I know it was a map showing quests and status of each hex in regards to a number of things, but that can be relegated to a menu item or button.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It'd make it kind of annoying but I can see it being doable with something like how Wonderful 101 works on the newer consoles and PC where you can pop open an extra window for it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Who even cares if generic blades are numerically better, their design is awful and boring and I want to use the cool ones, but the gacha says no

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Also the process of checking to see if your commons are worth using over others get real long real fast so it's totally reasonable to get tunnel vision and just focus on rare blades.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the game literally has pity timers so you're absolutely certain to get at least some blades off of the slot machine (5 of them to be exact) even if you have the worst possible luck and are only using common cores, in addition to the whole bunch you will get out of side quests/main story. and that's in the worst possible case; you'll probably have more. i really don't understand how people say they're getting screwed by luck except in the scenario where you want to complete the collection or get one specific blade, which just entirely sucks.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Speaking of xc2 I haven't played it in two years and wanted to start a new new game+, however I was halfway through another new game + run through. It only took me 3.5 hours from what I think was the beginning of indol to run through the rest of the game skipping everything with no memory of zone layouts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

the game literally has pity timers so you're absolutely certain to get at least some blades off of the slot machine (5 of them to be exact) even if you have the worst possible luck and are only using common cores, in addition to the whole bunch you will get out of side quests/main story. and that's in the worst possible case; you'll probably have more. i really don't understand how people say they're getting screwed by luck except in the scenario where you want to complete the collection or get one specific blade, which just entirely sucks.

You can't reasonably assume or expect a guaranteed average level of success out of random dice rolls. Some are absolutely gonna get screwed and never see any by the five pity-timer'ed Blades just by it being random. Some lucky little shits will also pull ALL the Rare Blades well before the end of a playthrough.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't reasonably assume or expect a guaranteed average level of success out of random dice rolls. Some are absolutely gonna get screwed and never see any by the five pity-timer'ed Blades just by it being random. Some lucky little shits will also pull ALL the Rare Blades well before the end of a playthrough.

*I* pulled KOS-MOS as my second unique Blade :smug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
All you'd need to do is make it so you can only get rare blades and reduce the amount of the blade crystals massively and also make it so you can transfer blades around without an item.
I don't think it'd be that difficult and the only times I used my non-rare blades was sending them on those stupid merc missions.

Then you still get different orders of blades for different players and you'd avoid all that rubbish with the gatcha.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bought a switch so I can play XBC1 again. I also bought a wii u for XBX when it came out. I guess I know what sells systems for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NmareBfly posted:

I bought a switch so I can play XBC1 again. I also bought a wii u for XBX when it came out. I guess I know what sells systems for me.

When I bought XBX, I made drat-sure to get the bigass hardcover guidebook for it because I knew I'd need it after playing XBC and its collection sidequests.

It was money well spent.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taear posted:

All you'd need to do is make it so you can only get rare blades and reduce the amount of the blade crystals massively and also make it so you can transfer blades around without an item.
I don't think it'd be that difficult and the only times I used my non-rare blades was sending them on those stupid merc missions.

Then you still get different orders of blades for different players and you'd avoid all that rubbish with the gatcha.

You don’t even need to get rid of the item requirement for blade swapping you just need to make them slightly less scarce. Like, if you have the DLC, overdrives are literally a non-issue - throw, like... 5 more into chests in the middle third of the game and the overdrive system would be fine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CaptainPsyko posted:

You don’t even need to get rid of the item requirement for blade swapping you just need to make them slightly less scarce. Like, if you have the DLC, overdrives are literally a non-issue - throw, like... 5 more into chests in the middle third of the game and the overdrive system would be fine.

I guess I don't see a reason for the item though, why restrict it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

to make you consider the choice, of course. the same reason you restrict anything like this. the whole point of the random blades in the first place is to give you an unoptimal assortment of blades that the game wants you to work with instead of against, so the extremely limited swapping is part of that.

again though, this would work a lot better if some characters weren't mostly useless with certain weapons. everyone already has one blade restricted to them at all times to anchor their role (until the very end of the game/ng+ anyway), i don't think there was any need to do the thing where the characters only get efficient arts that inflict driver combos with the very specific blades that the game designates they're "good" with.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Until I randomly pulled Zenobia out of a crystal I'd never got beyond 'topple' in driver combos. I was fairly far through the game at that point, and it never really felt like I was missing too much by having non-optimal blades hanging around. If there was a more reliable way of getting the missing ones I'd probably try to complete the set just for the sake of completion, but as it stands I have no incentive to go farm enough crystals to do that.

One of my favourite blades was a common one-crown dog, purely because the level 1 special is an AoE heal that scales with the number of things it was hitting. When poo poo was getting all hosed up, switching to that one and spamming it over and over would let me survive long enough to kill a few things and get on top of the incoming damage. It absolutely chewed through the boss at the end of the spirit crucible with all the multiplying shades at the end.

Unrelatedly, Zenobia's quest was the point at which I decided I *really* didn't like playing blade tetris to pass skill checks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's funny how each game introduces fantastic QoL improvements to common game problems whilst also finding whole new ways to be really aggravating

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taear posted:

I guess I don't see a reason for the item though, why restrict it?

For one thing, it makes Rex's whole gimmick substantially less interesting.

And I actually like said gimmick.

The point of Overdrives is to give you enough flexibility to make sure that you can do the important swaps and protect against truly awful luck, not to give you enough flexibility to do whatever the gently caress you want. The problem is that there aren't quite enough of them to actually provide the amount of flex you need to not feel bad. You need a few more, but not a lot more, and certainly not functionally infinity more.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

arsegrit posted:

Until I randomly pulled Zenobia out of a crystal I'd never got beyond 'topple' in driver combos. I was fairly far through the game at that point, and it never really felt like I was missing too much by having non-optimal blades hanging around. If there was a more reliable way of getting the missing ones I'd probably try to complete the set just for the sake of completion, but as it stands I have no incentive to go farm enough crystals to do that.

One of my favourite blades was a common one-crown dog, purely because the level 1 special is an AoE heal that scales with the number of things it was hitting. When poo poo was getting all hosed up, switching to that one and spamming it over and over would let me survive long enough to kill a few things and get on top of the incoming damage. It absolutely chewed through the boss at the end of the spirit crucible with all the multiplying shades at the end.

Unrelatedly, Zenobia's quest was the point at which I decided I *really* didn't like playing blade tetris to pass skill checks.

I was lucky and pulled Agate on Rex early on, but yeah you’re right without an axe for Rex iirc it’s tough to get launch. I can’t remember which weapons give launch/smash for other characters not named Zeke but I can say that the AI is very good at continuing Driver Combos if they are able.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'll admit that even though I liked playing XC2 more than XCX, I would prefer the next Xenoblade game to be a best-of-both-worlds scenario of XC1 and XCX. The Blade and Driver system shouldn't come back ever again and they should marry the expanded Arts/mech system of XCX with the aesthetics of XC1. Give everyone mechs with their own huge weapons and classes, make the game Daemon X Machina should have been

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

multijoe posted:

It's funny how each game introduces fantastic QoL improvements to common game problems whilst also finding whole new ways to be really aggravating

That's probably the most frustrating thing in the series.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I'll admit that even though I liked playing XC2 more than XCX, I would prefer the next Xenoblade game to be a best-of-both-worlds scenario of XC1 and XCX. The Blade and Driver system shouldn't come back ever again and they should marry the expanded Arts/mech system of XCX with the aesthetics of XC1. Give everyone mechs with their own huge weapons and classes, make the game Daemon X Machina should have been
wait what does daemon x machina have to do with this

that game was supposed to be like armored core. and it is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amppelix posted:

wait what does daemon x machina have to do with this

that game was supposed to be like armored core. and it is.

Not to mention mech combat in XCX is the least balanced combat system out of any Xenoblade game by a long shot.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought this overstated the chances you'd be that unlucky, but in the worst case there's just under a 6% chance you get no rare blades after opening 60 common cores (i.e., enough to get all 3 pity blades). That number assumes the minimum luck and idea stats. Opening rare or legendary cores will substantially reduce that chance, and it drops further as luck/idea stats increase. Assuming I interpreted the drop rules correctly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DLC Inc posted:

I liked the XC2 blade and driver controls, in that it feels a little more active as far as choosing what and when to do your actions and I was into the cancelling-- the button pushing and timing. XCX seemed more about positioning and getting good with the sticks, especially for doing locational damage, plus designing your gear combos.

Both ways were neat, although I was a little surprised at how few choices you got with regards to equipment and skill selection in XC2 after coming off XCX; it felt sparse to only pick 3 of 4 skills as your major choice, but once they unlock many weapon choices via 3 equipped blades, there's still a good amount of customizing. Seemed like they did want to dial back the overwhelming customization, but still give choice if you wanted to engage with it.

E: between XC1, XCX, XC2, and Torna, it's cool that they're so willing to try different things and iterate on general concepts. Undoubtedly XC3 would have something entirely new (plus break and topple)

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 22, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

With 99 hours on the clock, I've finally beaten XB2, but more importantly I managed to complete Ursula's quest just before fighting the final boss.

Now to NG+ until the 29th :toot:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Terper posted:

With 99 hours on the clock, I've finally beaten XB2, but more importantly I managed to complete Ursula's quest just before fighting the final boss.

Now to NG+ until the 29th :toot:

Hah! I literally turned the difficulty to the easiest last night and beat the game just to have beaten it. The ending was....fine?

Anywho, I had forgotten how long the intro stuff is until you actually get to run around and do things and can I just say oof.

Edit:. To get a better new game plus experience, should I just sell all of my weapon chips so I'm not one-shotting everything?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 24, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Over 80 hours in and I am still very confused by affinity, is the best way to increase a blades affinity level really by giving them their favorite items? This is painfully slow, but I am not seeing anything searching around the internet for an answer. I feel like I am missing something here, but Mythra's infinity level has to be level 5 in order to get through Chapter 9, so I am stuck right now with her level at 4 currently.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No, the affinity is based on the item. Some always give a lot, regardless of the blade’s preference. Their preference increases the effect of the item.

Those Love whatever items give some crazy amount and let you max affinity super quick but require the DLC iirc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The fastest way to max affinity (excluding those DLC items I guess?) is to give them items that boost their affinity but aren't ones they "love" since the extra text from their favorite items is slower than giving them regular items several times faster.

And it's not like money is an issue by the time you can get gold canisters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fastest way to max affinity (excluding those DLC items I guess?) is to give them items that boost their affinity but aren't ones they "love" since the extra text from their favorite items is slower than giving them regular items several times faster.

And it's not like money is an issue by the time you can get gold canisters.

If you use the Salvage Point near the Chief's House in Torigoth with Gold Canisters you can also break the salvage economy clean over your knee in under an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Late to the party, but the XCX sprint felt so good to use that I put off getting the Skell for a good long time, and when I did get it I only broke it out when there was no other traversal option. It also contributed heavily to me going with an on-foot build over actually developing the mech.