Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can forgive a lot of bad names in video games but I think Daikatana takes the cake as supreme bad names. Superfly Johnson is up there with Onyx Blackman but nowhere near as original and my favorite is the badguy with two last names that is basically Shadow Tekken-Villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Project Warlock is a fun time, but lordy are the weapon upgrades a total mess and completely imbalanced.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I liked Project Warlock too. A bit on the clusterfuck side of things and of course not on the level of Dusk or Amid Evil but hey, has its own charm.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

Wait, are you telling me I can leave without my buddy Superfly?

hosed up if true

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Playing through the Master Chief collection, I'm amazed at how poorly Halo 1 holds up and how well Halo 2 holds up. There are even parts of Halo 1 that are great, interspersed between some absolutely awful time-saving decisions and horrible pacing. Like, the Flood are introduced really well for a game at the time, but this is immediately wasted in the Library level, which like most of the Halo 1 levels is three times as long as it needs to be and full of C/P'd environments.

Halo 2 meanwhile is just kind of great. The overall formula for Halo has changed very little since this game and it felt like I was playing a modern shooter from the get-go. It introduced some at-the-time big deal things to multiplayer that are now considered fundamentally important to most games.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Playing through the Master Chief collection, I'm amazed at how poorly Halo 1 holds up and how well Halo 2 holds up. There are even parts of Halo 1 that are great, interspersed between some absolutely awful time-saving decisions and horrible pacing. Like, the Flood are introduced really well for a game at the time, but this is immediately wasted in the Library level, which like most of the Halo 1 levels is three times as long as it needs to be and full of C/P'd environments.

Halo 2 meanwhile is just kind of great. The overall formula for Halo has changed very little since this game and it felt like I was playing a modern shooter from the get-go. It introduced some at-the-time big deal things to multiplayer that are now considered fundamentally important to most games.

People like to poo poo on matchmaking, but it really was a total game changer for playing games with your friends on console. Just the whole idea of forming a "party" and being automatically matched against other people, having the game pick most of the game modes and maps for you...I came from a PC. I get it. I'd still rather have matchmaking if I'm playing with friends.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea as much as I love Halo, personality I think Halo 2 was far more revolutionary for console gaming.

I did a recent re-play of Halo on MCC and agree that while parts of the game remain great, a lot of it has just not aged well at all.

I’m still waiting for a few more bug fixes before replaying Halo 2: A (elites can’t dual-wield :wtc: )

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 22, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They were revolutionary in totally different ways, which is itself an amazing accomplishment considering they were back-to-back titles from the same studio

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

I can forgive a lot of bad names in video games but I think Daikatana takes the cake as supreme bad names. Superfly Johnson is up there with Onyx Blackman but nowhere near as original and my favorite is the badguy with two last names that is basically Shadow Tekken-Villain.

Fun fact: your buddy you can't leave without is a homage to a Doom fansite Romero liked, Abode of the Superfly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Fun fact: your buddy you can't leave without is a homage to a Doom fansite Romero liked, Abode of the Superfly.

Thanks I hate it even more.

Oh god, what if Team TNT is actually named after Super Fly TNT? And all these 20-somethings making Doom were just huge fans of classic blaxploitation? If that were the case it would wrap around to become cool again.

e: The last Wolfenstein release was called Youngblood, I think I stumbled onto something here!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 22, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Come to think of it there aren't many non-white FPS protagonists. Off the top of my head I can recall Doug Wendt in ROTT, Tommy in Prey 2006 and obviously Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I always thought doom 64 guy was black because his arms are dark as heck but i guess he isnt??

manero
Jan 30, 2006

All I remember about daikatana was being passed the design doc in the late 90’s and it was outright racist

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Convex posted:

Come to think of it there aren't many non-white FPS protagonists. Off the top of my head I can recall Doug Wendt in ROTT, Tommy in Prey 2006 and obviously Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior.

Don't forget John Blade in SiN!

I also recently replayed Halo: Combat Evolved and . . . yeah, it did not age well. Of course too much of the cut & paste level design was a huge part, and I absolutely loathe the Flood in all its forms. They're no fun to fight at all. Halo 2 handled the Flood a little better, but they came back with a vengeance in 3. . . I am not looking forward to "Cortana". Halo 2's probably my favorite campaign overall, with Reach a close second and ODST in third.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Deus Ex let you pick your skin colour.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

People like to poo poo on matchmaking, but it really was a total game changer for playing games with your friends on console. Just the whole idea of forming a "party" and being automatically matched against other people, having the game pick most of the game modes and maps for you...I came from a PC. I get it. I'd still rather have matchmaking if I'm playing with friends.

Yeah, it's cool to poo poo on matchmaking for a variety of reasons (my personal gripe is how difficult it is to avoid cheaters if they're around in any kind of numbers, since most games with matchmaking handle anti-cheat themselves and... don't do a good job), but sometimes you just want to play a game on more than one map over and over and over and over again. Dedicated servers are definitely better for getting to know the people you play with and forming any sort of community within a game, but they're far more likely to find a very small handful of maps they like and never play anything other than those.

As far as multiplayer in the MCC goes I've only played Reach's and Halo 1's (didn't even install Halo 2's MP yet, thus avoiding 99% of the problems with the port), but I do have to say Halo 1's multiplayer definitely shows that it's a game from 2001 that didn't originally have online multiplayer. There's one map in particular I ended up playing on where we all would repeatedly spawn in direct view of other people and be left wide open for an instant pistol headshot.

Grimthwacker posted:

I was gonna mention him too, yeah. There's also Gabriella in Blood II, at least in as far as she's playable in singleplayer, but you don't get any story with her.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Convex posted:

The Yus in Prey 2017 too.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cat Mattress posted:

Really? This is news to me.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

manero posted:

All I remember about daikatana was being passed the design doc in the late 90’s and it was outright racist

gonna need some deets on this

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!
I’m kind of surprised of the high opinions of the Halo 2 campaign. I didn’t like it at the time, and replaying part of it now cemented my opinion of that. Even on release there were like 2 levels out of the whole thing I enjoyed. It felt rushed even before I found out about the troubled development. I agree the multiplayer was amazing for the time, it really brought online gaming mainstream on the console side.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Can't agree with the assertion that Halo CE doesn't hold up; it's still probably my favorite one to play of the lot, actually. Even in spite of The Library, immediately followed with "so here's three levels you already did, but backwards", it's just a lot of fun for me. Maybe it's nostalgia of 2001 when the Xbox and Gamecube were new and hot, IDK.

Rewatching Civvie's Daikatana video, I just noticed that Superfly's voice actor is the same as Mr. "Number one: that's terror. Number two: that's terror." I guess this makes sense since both games are Ion Storm, although they were still different Ion Storms...

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!
Halo CE is still my favourite as well. I find the actual moment to moment combat the most compelling out of all of them, although I like every campaign except 2 (4 and 5 don’t count, but that’s hardly a controversial opinion). I agree the level design is a bit crap in parts, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

Can't agree with the assertion that Halo CE doesn't hold up; it's still probably my favorite one to play of the lot, actually. Even in spite of The Library, immediately followed with "so here's three levels you already did, but backwards", it's just a lot of fun for me. Maybe it's nostalgia of 2001 when the Xbox and Gamecube were new and hot, IDK.

Rewatching Civvie's Daikatana video, I just noticed that Superfly's voice actor is the same as Mr. "Number one: that's terror. Number two: that's terror." I guess this makes sense since both games are Ion Storm, although they were still different Ion Storms...

I haven’t checked yet but I swear the guy who voiced Superfly also does Borderlands’ Brick.

EDIT: Yup it is.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Dave Angel posted:

Deus Ex let you pick your skin colour.

Right, but the correct choice was cyber goth tai chi master.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Grimthwacker posted:

First thing I ever saw about SiN was an uncharacteristically serious magazine ad in Computer Gaming World or PC Gamer that had a CG render of him blasting two mutants and the text says something like "HIS NAME IS MORE THAN A WEAPON." I STILL don't know wtf that means but boy if it isn't cool as poo poo. I saw the ad and ran over and showed my dad and was like "Hey dad he looks like you!"

Thanks, Ritual. :allears:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Convex posted:

Tal'Set and Joshua Fireseed from Turok, and Turok 2.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

ETPC posted:

gonna need some deets on this

I couldn't remember the deets but the stuff I read at https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/game-design-documents.127425/ sounds about like what I remember

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Fun fact: Chex from Chex Quest? Portuguese.

EDIT: From the (alleged?) Daikatana design document:

"There's a hot metal slide that runs through a barbed wire fence. Every few minutes a new prisoner ("fresh fish") emerges at the bottom of it. The food is no good: Gruel sandwiches. Gruel omelettes. Nothing but gruel. Plus you can eat your own hair. Homeless people huddle around an oily trash fire; they're prisoners too."

EDIT 2: That same post has a ton of other gems, including this design doc for Planescape Torment.

"There will be tons of babes. Human babes, fiendish babes, even asian babes (who are different than human babes)."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 23, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

after replaying both for the first time since I was a little kid I think the Halo CE campaign has way higher highs than 2 even if the flood parts are probably worse. the combat is just more fun. also the entire last third of 2 is just driving a warthog past infinitely spawning flood and covenant shooting at eachother because that was impressive in 2004

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farm Frenzy posted:

also the entire last third of 2 is just driving a warthog past infinitely spawning flood and covenant shooting at eachother because that was impressive in 2004

It sure isn’t. The last level with both vehicles and Flood is at the end of act two (and it mostly sucks). After that it’s one or the other. They definitely tried to dial back the amount of time you spend fighting the flood in 2, but they did it pretty clumsily and the flood are actually less fun to fight than in 1. Also they make you do it in the dark with either a weaker flashlight that automatically turns itself off at will or no flashlight at all.

Halo 1 remains the best

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It took me a second to realize that’s supposed to be the duke and not a weird lap table for their mouse.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

truly the height of comedy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
xbox hueg

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Linguica posted:

Really? This is news to me.

http://dk.toastednet.org/dotPlan/romeroplan_1997.htm

John Romero posted:

December 16, 1997 (part 2)
------------------------------------------------
In Daikatana, there's a really cool character named Superfly Johnson. There's also a cool DOOM site on the web called Abode of the Superfly. Coincidence?

Not likely!

Abode of the Superfly: http://members.aol.com/se7thson/superfly.html

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've also been having my realization that Halo 2 was so pivotal. Although I've more so been playing the multiplayer rather than the singleplayer thought. Halo CE still holds up, and I did go through that campaign. Halo 2 multiplayer is still really fun though.

Why isn't one flag CTF more of a thing in games?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jehde posted:

Why isn't one flag CTF more of a thing in games?

From experience? It kind of sucks to balance without a very symmetrical map. No idea why, though, given the same problem is not apparent in regular CTF.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo 2 I sunk an absurd amount of time into the multiplayer and it basically singlehandedly convinced millions of console player to pony up for xbox live.

It instantly removed all interest I had in server based matchmaking.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I started up Deus Ex now that SS2 is done, and I'm always amused by Paul giving me a big speech about minimizing casualties and preserving life and then handing me a giant rocket launcher.

Having finished up the first mission in Hell's Kitchen, I'm pretty sure I've taken more damage from ladders than anything else. SS2's ladders were a little more sticky and harder to blunder off of. I remember taking a lot of stupid falls off ladders in Half-Life back in the day, too. What's more dangerous: early polygonal ladders or Build engine doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure if this should go here, hah hah, as it isn't technically FPS anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYmHN0CCgY