Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Were HBK and Diesel actually called "Two Dudes with Attitude" or was that sort of a fan-given nickname like "Port Authority" for Enzo and Case?

During their initial heel run they didn’t have a team name, but they because Two Dudes With Attitudes during their babyface run in 95. It was the official team name, I remember hearing it a lot during their feud with Owen and Yokozuna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Were HBK and Diesel actually called "Two Dudes with Attitude" or was that sort of a fan-given nickname like "Port Authority" for Enzo and Case?

didn't they wear it on their clothes once

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know Diesel wore it on his clothes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ah, the nineties...

And I'm not going to bother correcting the spelling of his name because gently caress the both of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Port Authority is actually reasonably clever for those 2, a shame they were rear end

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Port Authority is actually reasonably clever for those 2, a shame they were rear end

Oh, I agree. And I was in the Barclays for the first Brooklyn Takeover in 2015, they were loving crazy over.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oh, I agree. And I was in the Barclays for the first Brooklyn Takeover in 2015, they were loving crazy over.

It made me think of how Val Venis and Godfather were unofficially "Supply and Demand" on the web

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The short-lived tag team of Kofi and Punk was nicknamed High and Dry by the internet, but never the company

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It made me think of how Val Venis and Godfather were unofficially "Supply and Demand" on the web

I remember that! Venis actually stated this on air. Was it in response to the internet?

There were a bunch of teams that had these kind of informal names:

Show-Gunns: Billy Gunn and Big Show formed an impromptu team (neither had anything better to do), and I got the feeling they were hoping it would be another Outlaws stroke of luck, but nope.

Canadian Country: They actually held a open vote/poll on the WWF website to name the Owen/Jarrett team, and they picked this. They abandoned it like a week later, and just informally referred to them as Debra's Boys.

The UpperCats: Cesaro and Tyson Kidd called themselves UpperCats after trying out a few names (Masters of the Universe, I think?) that didn't really work. Tyson even had gloves or some other gear with paw prints, but WWE chose to ignore this.

Sid and The Kid: Sid and 1-2-3 Kid teamed up a lot, I guess, as members of the Million Dollar Corporation, and the announcers referred to them by this consistent name. It just wasn't official, even though I feel like I saw them a ton in late '95.

Shoguns: Hakushi and fake ninja Kwang were a team for a week before the breakup and feud. It was official, just super super brief.

Edit: Am I wrong in thinking Billy and Chuck had a name at some point?

At least those were fun. Every tag team name created in the last 10 years is awful and used solely because it sounds marketable. Ascension, Absolution, Ilconics, Revival, Undisputed Era - none of these mean anything.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 23, 2020

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

This shirt runs about $200 right now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Red posted:

Canadian Country: They actually held a open vote/poll on the WWF website to name the Owen/Jarrett team, and they picked this. They abandoned it like a week later, and just informally referred to them as Debra's Boys.
I voted for Time for a Piss, retroactively felt bad for denigrating Owen.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Red posted:

In hindsight, Golden Nugget would have been great

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

A friend and myself submitted the name Debras Duo. Because she has two boobs, you see.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

A friend and myself submitted the name Debras Duo. Because she has two boobs, you see.

That might be too subtle for WWE

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Sandman McMahon posted:

The Kennel

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

My mistake the source on Punk doing a shot of alcohol is Prichard. But Prichard claims Punk did do a real shot that day, but it is Prichard.
Punk has always told it as he did a shot of milk and Harley appreciated his conviction. Since Punk and Harley were always close and there are punch wilder stories involving Punk and intoxicants (meekly trying to punch an orderly who tried to give him morphine after he fractured his skull, not taking painkillers after elbow surgery), I don't think there's really any reason to doubt that one.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 23, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Christian Mscientist Punk

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*tips cap* m’scientist

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

There were a bunch of teams that had these kind of informal names:

Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel were sort of called International Airstrike. They were never billed that way on TV, but I think commentary might have mentioned the name all of like, twice.

Then there was Kyo Dai, the Tajiri/Akio/Sakoda trio, where they used the name on their website but never on TV.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
UpperCats is loving adorable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel were sort of called International Airstrike. They were never billed that way on TV, but I think commentary might have mentioned the name all of like, twice.

Then there was Kyo Dai, the Tajiri/Akio/Sakoda trio, where they used the name on their website but never on TV.

Oh, I thought International Airstrike was all kinds of official. That's kind of a bummer.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Kofi/Evan Bourne were “Air Boom” for a minute before Bourne failed a wellness. R Truth was slotted in as a replacement and I think they were “Air Truth” for like one episode.

Team Hell No were initially “Team Friendship” but that obviously didn’t stick.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did Adam Cole, War Machine and Mike Elgin struggle to get over in Japan? And what are some other examples of gaijin not catching on?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Kofi/Evan Bourne were “Air Boom” for a minute before Bourne failed a wellness. R Truth was slotted in as a replacement and I think they were “Air Truth” for like one episode.

Team Hell No were initially “Team Friendship” but that obviously didn’t stick.

It’s so weird how Kane with the opposite of Kane worked so many times. X pac, rvd. Daniel Bryan is going to get almost anything over.

Kane saying suck it with the voice box that one time, wwe would do anything to get that kind of reaction from the audience again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Why did Adam Cole, War Machine and Mike Elgin struggle to get over in Japan? And what are some other examples of gaijin not catching on?

Elgin didn't actually struggle to get over in Japan. He was one the top foreigners in New Japan at one point, & when he's turned up in NOAH on a couple of occasions he's been popular there too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah elgin was a credible IC champion and had some major matches that got over big

war machine was just dropped into the tag title rotation cold and did a bunch of multi team clusterfucks so their ceiling was kind of limited

there wasnt any actual effort to push or even establish adam cole in japan he was there for like one g1 final, one other tour and a couple special roh shows?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

When NJPW was on AXS, Michael Elgin looked like a loving champ.

In fact, from what I could tell from their run on AXS, all the foreigners were treated really, really well. I'm not a fan of Juice Robinson at all, but they gave him a fair push for some reason.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Juice improved by leaps and bonds and he's charismatic

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Juice also entered the dojo system voluntarily so he's considered one of their own moreso than your average gaijin.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What happened with Elgin then? Why's he been banished to wrestling purgatory (Impact)? Was it that scandal from a while back?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't think any of Elgin's "issues" affected how he was booked in New Japan, they just sort of... stopped pushing him. He'd been pretty stagnant at that point anyway, there's only so much you can do with Good Wrestler With The Most Boring Character On The Planet after a couple years of doing well in the midcard, because in no universe does Michael Elgin ascend to the New Japan main event for anything more than a throwaway title defense on a third tier tour like Destruction or Kizuna Road or something.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

No, NJPW had no problem using him and giving him a slight nudge by keeping him in NEVER title matches and G1 etc. He and NJPW agreed to just let his contract expire and he left, that’s it as far as I know

Edit: yeah TriffTshngo with the better post

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they re-signed him after that but wouldnt let him work for impact in the west. its probably more that elgin’s relationship with everyone he works for eventually turns sour more than that specific thing in particular

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ishii already fills the role just fine

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

No, NJPW had no problem using him and giving him a slight nudge by keeping him in NEVER title matches and G1 etc. He and NJPW agreed to just let his contract expire and he left, that’s it as far as I know

Edit: yeah TriffTshngo with the better post

Didn't he go in the huff about not being pushed as hard as he thought he deserved? Or am I making that up?

Neodoomium posted:

Ishii already fills the role just fine

You can never have enough beef.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

forkboy84 posted:

You can never have enough beef.

We essentially got Shingo in exchange for him so uh, I'm gonna say it was a net positive all around.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

They might have had eyes on him as a pillar for the US expansion but crowds booing him out of the building overseas nixed that, so he was left aimless in the increasingly stacked NJ midcard. The depth of talent in the company in 2019 was bounds above their 2015 roster and he never improved.

Seriously, in the time he was on, the roster got:

- the entire SZKG back from NOAH
- the entire LIJ aside from Naito
- Switchblade
- Juice
- Full Time Ibushi
- R3K
- Ishimori
- Ospreay
- Zack

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 24, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tonfa posted:

They might have had eyes on him as a pillar for the US expansion but crowds booing him out of the building overseas nixed that, so he was left aimless in the increasingly stacked NJ midcard. The depth of talent in the company in 2019 was bounds above their 2015 roster and he never improved.

I'd honestly argue he regressed based on what I've seen of his work when he was around the IC title.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Didn't he go in the huff about not being pushed as hard as he thought he deserved? Or am I making that up?

Had a quick look around and yeah, he did say in an interview that he wanted bigger singles matches than he was getting. It doesn’t really sound like a ”huff” though, more like a ”I don’t agree with my position in the company and also want to work elsewhere, bye” situation.

I also didn’t agree with his position on the roster and am very happy with his current one, ie. on a show I don’t give a quarter of a poo poo about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't he also shittalk Jeff Cobb and War Machine?