Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'd like to see the government wriggle out of this twitter zinger!

I'm curious now. Has there ever been someone who got owned so hard on twitter it actually impacted their career? I don't mean like, from posting something racist or something themselves but as in getting bashed so well online that nobody could take them seriously anymore. Ideally someone in politics in some respect but I'll take any schadenfreude at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Must have missed that event, Opinium!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

I'm curious now. Has there ever been someone who got owned so hard on twitter it actually impacted their career? I don't mean like, from posting something racist or something themselves but as in getting bashed so well online that nobody could take them seriously anymore. Ideally someone in politics in some respect but I'll take any schadenfreude at this point.

Glinner lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/skynewsgirl/status/1264178853070671872?s=21

Director of Content at Sky News.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

We all know if that went to a vote it would somehow break down on 52-48 lines

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Why are they keeping young people (who I assume aren't their children because then you'd call them that) locked in their house?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Coohoolin posted:

Glinner lol

The thing with him is that Twitter gave him a platform that shone a magnifying glass on his nonsense. If he never made an account but still publicly held all of his "views" he'd probably be fine.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I keep reading this looking for the one that didn't happen, but I can't see it.

idgi is what i'm saying

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The uk should definitely vote to leave the uk. What has the uk ever done for the uk. Nothing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

When Marathon became Snickers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

ben bradley maybe? but then that was everyone retweeting something he was court ordered to, I strongly suspect it impacted his career in a negative way.

basically anyone trump nicknames

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I keep reading this looking for the one that didn't happen, but I can't see it.

idgi is what i'm saying

Angepain posted:

The uk should definitely vote to leave the uk. What has the uk ever done for the uk. Nothing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

The thing with him is that Twitter gave him a platform that shone a magnifying glass on his nonsense. If he never made an account but still publicly held all of his "views" he'd probably be fine.
He only really had those views because he got called out online though.

Yeah he'd probably be a lovely person with the "but a penis" views of people who haven't really thought about gender much, but he only leapt to the defence of the pure flower of cis womenhood when someone said something he wrote was bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AOC made a sarcastic comment about if only there was some way super rich could pool wealth in order to aid the needy in times of coronavirus, and one of her Very Smart Haters retweeted her commenting "This is what people call an income tax" and got so badly humiliated over :thejoke: that they deleted their account. Does that count?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'd like to see the government wriggle out of this twitter zinger!

this isn't just twitter owns though, it's every* journalist from every paper, magazine, news site, TV show, news channel and radio station coming in with everything for a HUGE party

so there's a tiny chance one of them might make it a story off Twitter too :pray:

I wonder how far they'd push it really, the easiest thing to ask a Tory is "so are you saying when people get the virus they should drive across the country to see their elderly parents" - but that's really explicitly putting the idea out there that everyone could just ignore the guidelines and do whatever they want, and the news doesn't like saying the quiet part loud when it comes to the tories

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sky News has been running it all day.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Told you this wasn't going away soon.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Boris will just hide for a week like he does when important poo poo has to be decided, then will act like it never happened.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
oh no! the government would hate it if we decided lockdown wasn't important! anything but that!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/DemSkrals/status/1264184319129591810

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
You may remember the time I worked with Aberdeen cult punk band Toxik Ephex to record a song in the run up to the 2019 GE, some may even have enjoyed it! Anyway it's on spotify now, released with a compilation album of old singles and live cuts.

https://open.spotify.com/track/37XWNVq4Egd9Eb0LRQD4cW?si=Yk1jFmMZRW6lIqwpce9RtA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that the attoruney general is telling everyone it's fine to do crimes to protect your kids

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1264174355975671810?s=19

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jose posted:

Lol that the attoruney general is telling everyone it's fine to do crimes to protect your kids

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1264174355975671810?s=19

Lol if I was a criminal defence barrister I'd definitely chance using this next week.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/marcusbrig/status/1264190628767961090?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're proper loving this up to ensure he doesn't get sacked

https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1264163278584000513?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Told you Boris would hide.
Not doing the daily briefing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Off topic from the hopeful downfall of Deadly Dom: are there any decent investigative journalists on the subject of grooming rape gangs that aren't also massive racists with an axe to grind? I saw Andrew Norfolk won the Paul Foot award for his work in 2013 but has since been heavily criticised since for his views in general etc.

Essentially it has come to light this week my cousin has been a victim of this in my hometown and it has gone public, however 24 hours after it went public the Police made a statement saying 'there's no evidence of this happening in our jurisdiction' and the local paper has a chief reporter with questionable links to the accused has been rushing out multiple articles to immediately discredit her. The family are clear that we don't want the knuckle draggers jumping on the bandwagon as inevitable as it seems, the EDL are banging a drum and people keep bringing up 'Tommeh' which not going to help anything. I'm just at a loss at what to do at the moment, banging the drum on social media is ok to a point but it is hard to control the aforementioned problems so it feels like someone with a neutral, outside perspective and no 'baggage' might provide a better focus?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This whole thing does raise a good point though; what the gently caress ARE people with dependents who can't cope on their own supposed to do when they come down with COVID?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thespaceinvader posted:

This whole thing does raise a good point though; what the gently caress ARE people with dependents who can't cope on their own supposed to do when they come down with COVID?

The Government: They should do their best while following the guidelines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

they're proper loving this up to ensure he doesn't get sacked

https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1264163278584000513?s=20

Lol my MP, great ratio.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

thespaceinvader posted:

You go and stay with your parents in one of the guest houses on their estate, yeesh :rolleyes:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

These answers are so weak. Basically giving blanket permission for people to make excuses to break the rules now.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

We're all hosed when this second wave hits, aren't we

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dell_Zincht posted:

We're all hosed when this second wave hits, aren't we

it's gonna get wild for sure. god i hope i have already had it, then i could see my mom again :(

did you change your av recently? i recognize your name but without the avatar i'm lost lol

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Told you Boris would hide.
Not doing the daily briefing.

He’s not done one for ages afaik, like before he got the ‘rona. He just likes doing puff pieces to the camera with no questions.

To be fair tho, I’d send my minions out to do it too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lmao they're demolishing the guidance during the questions on the briefing today to defend Cummings.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basically just confirmed he's a shite dad there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its cool all these ministers openly admitting cummings is running the government not them

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol he came so close to saying it's right and proper we should travel when entering lockdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol if I was a criminal defence barrister I'd definitely chance using this next week.
Like when Michael Gove inadvertently got people off of cocaine possession charges.