Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

what will be the first state to re impose restrictions

(we need to stop using “quarantine” or “lock down” since they never happened)

Won't be something in the coasts, they're mostly under control or haven't opened up

It'll be someplace like Chicago or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Admiral Ray posted:

I'm still doing this. Massive unemployment and foreclosing farms points to food riots

Don't think there are going to be food riots but I'm super happy I expanded the gently caress out of our garden this year

we're going to have enough beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchinis, and eggplants to feed like six families

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

chlorine i assume but im pretty sure the exercise your lungs get from swimming is greater than the damage chlorine does
Chlorine plus bodily fluids basically produce compounds that wreck your lungs over time. It's much less of an issue in more modern facilities, and where operators successfully convince patrons to shower beforehand and to not pee in the water. The telltale sign is the smell of "chlorine", which basically has a 1:1 relationship with how filthy the people using the pool are. Just the faintest hint and it's probably fine, but if it's real obvious it's because they're trying to neutralize gallons of pee and sweat.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yea looks like its indoor pool specifically and if you are doing it every day for long periods of time like a competitive swimmer. lol @ goons being in that category. go swim have fun.
Sorry, sometimes I forget that not everyone posting here is a professional athlete.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Won't be something in the coasts, they're mostly under control or haven't opened up

It'll be someplace like Chicago or something

Nashville metro has been on its way there for a few weeks now and they’re opening up even more now

https://twitter.com/lisaquigleytn/status/1259213229085069312?s=21

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Burn Zone posted:

Nashville metro has been on its way there for a few weeks now and they’re opening up even more now

https://twitter.com/lisaquigleytn/status/1259213229085069312?s=21

Franklin is in Williamson County just south of Nashville, and it was never locked down as strictly as Nashville. but yeah, Nashville is going proper Phase 2 on Monday!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I mean, you see pictures like that of a packed bar and it's kind of freeing. There is nothing we can do, no individual or collective action, that will make Americans less stupid. The virus is going to fully run its course here and a million people are going to die, and while you can lament what could have been, there are no more levers to pull; the trolley problem has been solved.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I mean, you see pictures like that of a packed bar and it's kind of freeing. There is nothing we can do, no individual or collective action, that will make Americans less stupid. The virus is going to fully run its course here and a million people are going to die, and while you can lament what could have been, there are no more levers to pull; the trolley problem has been solved.

We're all gonna get it twice a year until we die young now

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Meanwhile in Texas

quote:

Bexar County Republicans on Friday afternoon set up camp outside San Antonio City Hall to call out local leaders for some of the mandates they’ve established during the ongoing pandemic.

Republican Party Chair Cynthia Brehm, along with many others, took to the mic, claiming their constitutional rights have been infringed upon by Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, specifically deriding the recently passed anti-hate speed resolution and mask-wearing recommendations.

“They asked us to wear masks, and according to Attorney General (Ken) Paxton, this is unconstitutional. So if we don’t want to wear masks, this is our choice,” she said. “This is America, and we shouldn’t have to be forced or mandated to wear a mask.”

In a second clip below, a local Republican official says that “the chance of catching the China virus is 0.05%.”

but they asked us to wear pants, too

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

We're all gonna get it twice a year until we die young now

Good news everyone!

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Bearjew posted:

Franklin is in Williamson County just south of Nashville, and it was never locked down as strictly as Nashville. but yeah, Nashville is going proper Phase 2 on Monday!

my partner was exposed to a confirmed patient in Hendersonville last week while only wearing a surgical mask and has to quarantine for two weeks, yay!

at this point we’re going full steam ahead into opening ‘er up, I think the sensible option is to try to avoid getting it as long as you can until maybe there are better treatments. if it’s going to be endemic and we’re dealing with it multiple times a year, avoiding being in the re-opening wave might statistically improve your survival chances if you’re one of the unlucky few who end up hospitalized. my mother was thinking about getting her hair done this week after two months of taking proper precautions because “might as well get it done while they’re taking some precautions right?

we are so hosed.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

beaches nearby are swamped, it's like normal memorial day weekend :shrug: :goonsay: :theroni:

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
a shirtcocking squad in surgical masks would be a great counterprotest to one of those masks are genocide muppets

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like even if you have a mild case you're still hosed up for over a month, we're gonna lose like a sixth of our lives to being sick with this from now on

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

kaleedity posted:

beaches nearby are swamped, it's like normal memorial day weekend :shrug: :goonsay: :theroni:

can confirm - our town has been absolutely flooded with the rich people opening up their beach houses, shopping at the local grocery stores and swamping all the beachside restaurants and bars

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

a shirtcocking squad in surgical masks would be a great counterprotest to one of those masks are genocide muppets

had to look up shirtcocking and lmao

I always called it "porky pigging it"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gripweed posted:

Answer me, are those Gankutsuo DVDs

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Meanwhile in South Texas

https://twitter.com/jisf0rjosh/status/1264227528656510976

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

bring back old gbs posted:

i guarantee every single one of them would argue that seatbelts actually decapitate u in a car accident and its a ruse from big insurance to cut ur head clean off so u dont file insurance claims

no seatbelt no sir

My seat belt cuts into my neck because I'm really, really short and most cars don't adjust short enough for me. I think a lot of short people have this problem so Big Seatbelt is really trying to just kill short people

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

kaleedity posted:

looking at traffic levels on map apps

this represents 40 minutes in a four mile long line of cars

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
crowded beaches are terrible without the Roni

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Like even if you have a mild case you're still hosed up for over a month, we're gonna lose like a sixth of our lives to being sick with this from now on

have you tried reveling in your suffering so fully you enter a dissociative state?
could really add some flavor to your posting career.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
The chud terrorists won, it's over folks, stop posting about the disease.

The only possible hope at this point for America is that it will cull most of the GOP boomers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is the virus actually that infectious on a windy beach compared to being indoors anywhere?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Bip Roberts posted:

Is the virus actually that infectious on a windy beach compared to being indoors anywhere?

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

the beach itself probably isn't going to be the prime vector, it's going to be food stands and gift shops and poo poo, especially the heavily air conditioned ones that people just browse around in to get out of the sun for a bit

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

it lives inside a buoyant fat bubble, collects on the surface of the water, and creates at constant cloud of aerosolized particles as the waves crash

but yes better than inside unless the beaches are super crowded but that probably wont be the case, right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks

I think we already did from April and may, the answer is not really. Its a/c (call center in SK, bus in China, restaurant in HK) and heavy exhalation (meatpacking, sports, choir, gym)

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

probably not but all the house rentals, restaurants, and bars next to the beaches are gonna be primo COVID catching opportunities

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i was talking about memory b cells earlier, but our salvation may lie in those mysterious memory t cells.

Lack of Peripheral Memory B Cell Responses in Recovered Patients with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome: A Six-Year Follow-Up Study
https://www.jimmunol.org/content/186/12/7264

In conclusion, specific IgG Ab to SARS-CoV eventually vanish in most SARS patients. Peripheral memory B cell responses are undetectable in all the patients. However, quite a portion of the patients maintain T cell memory even 6 y postinfection. Whether the T cell anamnestic response is adequate to protect a person from reinfection requires further investigation. The findings are expected to have implications for disease management and surveillance in case of disease reemergence. It would also be important for making a decision on vaccination strategy, as vaccine is supposed to be the most effective way to confer active and sustained protection against a future reemergence of SARS.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bip Roberts posted:

Yea I never smell strong cologne or perfume outside either

But I cant smell anything anyway now so :smith:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

We’re starting to opener up in Washington. Just yesterday I was thinking “wow numbers are down, maybe things are working!” And counties are starting to apply for next phase of opening stuff

Pretty much immediately https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/may/22/employees-at-vancouver-food-processor-positive-for-covid-19/

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

facetoucher cat posted:

My seat belt cuts into my neck because I'm really, really short and most cars don't adjust short enough for me. I think a lot of short people have this problem so Big Seatbelt is really trying to just kill short people

plus if you're short enough and sit close enough to the steering wheel a deploying airbag will take your head off

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The people with all of the money and power got their way again and regular schmucks are going to suffer for it? Remarkable.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The chud terrorists won, it's over folks, stop posting about the disease.

no

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

plus if you're short enough and sit close enough to the steering wheel a deploying airbag will take your head off

How short and how close :ohdear:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rutibex posted:

just go find a heavy rock and lift it over your head. pushups are free.

i bought a really heavy bass amp and started hand washing my clothes during this, its not intense exercise but at least i can lift a heavy thing now and then and get some upper body in agitating my clothes

figuring things out

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Meanwhile here in Iowa we're in day one of four of straight rain, cloudy skies, and thunderstorms. Take that Covid

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Zeroisanumber posted:

The people with all of the money and power got their way again and regular schmucks are going to suffer for it? Remarkable.

But that's what I'm confused about. Major corporations don't want poo poo back to normal willy nilly. This seems to be driven exclusively by restaurant owners and Trump sycophants.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pook Good Mook posted:

But that's what I'm confused about. Major corporations don't want poo poo back to normal willy nilly. This seems to be driven exclusively by restaurant owners and Trump sycophants.

At this point I'm just hoping that it drags some of the real evil fucks screaming into hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its genocide

hth